Sign in to follow this  
scener

ArmA 2 vs. OFP 1

Which do you think is better and why?

Arma 2 obviously. I can never go back to OFP because of the changes Arma 2 made. The graphics, the new features, such as crouch-running and reloading on the run.

While ArmA2 is superior, there are aspects to CWC/Res that have an 'X' Factor that can't be matched.

Just wait until Cold War Rearmed comes out for ArmA2. Then we shall have our cake and eat it too :D

While ArmA2 is superior, there are aspects to CWC/Res that have an 'X' Factor that can't be matched.

I think the X factor is story. The story of Res was truely immersive. It can't be matched.

Nothing can take away the best times of the OFP Days. OFP was new & Fresh, no one had seen anything like it. While Arma2 is amazing (and it is), its a dramatic improvement on what was.

In terms of Single Player, the OFP/Resistance campaign was something I'll remember for a long time.

No matter what sort of game BI can pull off now, nothing will ever come close to the good ol' Flashpoint days I'm afraid. It's those priceless memories and good times that make it for what it is... maybe Arma2 will have those moments, but OFP will always be king.

As far as CWC, that took 2 years for Arma1. As much as I'd like to see it for Arma2 - I see little reason to get my hopes up anytime soon. Not to mention I wish the CWC made it so we could use our own audio (IE: Take the audio from OFP:PC) and put it into the mod, rather than listening to some poorly voice acted junk. Theres no way I'll get the true "OFP" feel without the actual (not Xbox Elite) voices.

As far as CWC, that took 2 years for Arma1. As much as I'd like to see it for Arma2 - I see little reason to get my hopes up anytime soon.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't CWR for ArmA1 just a 'beta'?

I always thought that the final CWR release had always pretty much been envisaged for ArmA2.

You never know, CWR's release for ArmA2 may be quicker than we expect.

OPFP lacked JIP (join in progress).

Every time somebody dumped, we'd have to back out and restart the game. Happened several times a night and was a real drag on CTI (capture the island) type games. We'd lose hours of work.

I loved OPFP but JIP alone puts ArmA and ArmA2 miles ahead, IMO.

Every time somebody dumped, we'd have to back out and restart the game. Happened several times a night and was a real drag on CTI (capture the island) type games. We'd lose hours of work.

I guess it's different for a bunch of us I suppose. I played with the same group of 20+ or so people for years. We knew who was going to eventually disconnect (sleep, appointments, etc), so we wouldn't have to go back for them... Granted there was a few of those occasions that were unpredictable, but weren't enough to break the overall experience with the game. Hehe, we spent so much time in the lobby we got to know eachother pretty well over the years :)

I still like locked servers though, especially in warfare etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't CWR for ArmA1 just a 'beta'?

I always thought that the final CWR release had always pretty much been envisaged for ArmA2.

You never know, CWR's release for ArmA2 may be quicker than we expect.

True, but it never set out to be the official beta through Arma1 so it would be ready for Arma2. Being in Beta after 2 years is kinda insane. Wasn't it announced on Arma1's launch? Whatever reasons they have for taking longer than the entire development process of Arma2 - still little reason for myself (personally) to get any of my hopes up that it'll be ready anytime close to soon.

ArmA II hands down !

I still launch OFP from time to time but overall I don't enjoy it as much as ArmA II.

A2 has brought a lot of new things, improvements and small but important details.

That being said, currently, I like OFP's AI teammates better than the ArmA II ones.

In OFP : - they followed the leader's stance better and there was no "stand up and run 5 meters front and back" phenomenon which is plaguing ArmA II atm,

- the "engage" command was a bit problematic in OFP, it is even worse in ArmA II imo,

- the AI teammates were quieter, you could assign specific targets to your teammates and then they would give you a confirmation. In ArmA II, there is too much radio traffic, even teammates who were not assigned a target will give you their 2 cents so it is a bit harder to know if your sniper/AT gunner/etc is ready to shoot or not.

Right now, I don't enjoy much the squad leader role in ArmA II, I hope it will be improved.

In OFP : - they followed the leader's stance better and there was no "stand up and run 5 meters front and back" phenomenon which is plaguing ArmA II atm

Whenever I run or drive fast, they always lose me, and start finding me like crazy where are you? where are you? where are you? where are you? where are you? where are you? where are you? I'm bored to hear that. :mad:

Easily ArmA2 but ... OFP1 felt much more ... together. It also kind of felt believable. ArmA2 is good but feels too clinical. The models and everything look too precise and "clean", not enough details or individuality. If you look at a real marine and an ArmA2 marine ... it's just too "no frills" for me, there's no personality in it. OFP1 had that.

Also, I really want it to move on as a game, OFP was great but it IS dated now. But yeah, ArmA2 obviously, that's like saying what's better, but only because of the time and technology in between.

Easily ArmA2 but ... OFP1 felt much more ... together. It also kind of felt believable. ArmA2 is good but feels too clinical. The models and everything look too precise and "clean", not enough details or individuality. If you look at a real marine and an ArmA2 marine ... it's just too "no frills" for me, there's no personality in it. OFP1 had that.

Also, I really want it to move on as a game, OFP was great but it IS dated now. But yeah, ArmA2 obviously, that's like saying what's better, but only because of the time and technology in between.

Amen.

OFP and expansions have awesome campaigns, and i would even pay for it if BIS make it official classic expansion pack for ARMA2!

OFP1 was awsome but ArmA2 has alot of new things that realy draw me in alot more. Like a tad bit more cover, actualy cities (Haleluyah!) not those 3 house micro vilages, an awsome map, artillery etc.

But you just cant beat OFP1 in its spirit. I mean, you didnt eaven know who you were fighting for the first few missions (Yes its ivan, not its not the russians, they would tank rush trough europe etc.) so unless you read the story on the net you wouldnt be preaty confused for the first few missions, and the fact that you actualy werent always the team leader! And the speach Victor Troska gave to his men at the start of Resistance "Gentlemen, its good to see you. The situation is very simple... Were screwed. Theres no way we can defeat the soviets, there better trained, better orginised, better equiped and they outnumber us. Victory is impossible... Any questions?" :D

Oh and Gastovski, James Gastovski :yay:

OFP1 = ArmA2

Cant make my mind up.

Who made the original story and campaing for OFP1? Cuz neither ArmA nor ArmA2 have come to eaven 1% of the glory of Cold War Crisis and Resistance.

Edited by chaplainDMK

OFP is still one of my favorite games :- )

Flashpoint and Resistance Campaign i will never forget they have been so awsome.

I wish there is a genius that can make the Flashpoint campaign with all Maps to work with Arma 2.

Yea... an actual good SP campaign experience would be a nice change of pace. I was actually able to play through OFP/RES and leave with a smile on my face... I don't think the SP made it as memorable as the MP for me personally - but it did leave a mark. Heh...Arma1's campaign was hellishly bad, and Arma2's took over 45 hours after numerous mission restarts and attempts to curb the pop-ups of script errors and other various glitches... it wasn't bad - but I wont remember the story, I'll remember the bugs and me nearly screaming at the game to stop giving me "cannot load ****** cfg something or other" 3+ hours into the mission.

Nothing will ever hold a candle to the first time I was dropped off by the helo in OFP1 and had to advance on the village not knowing exactly what was going on or what was going to happen. Then the first time you were alone in the woods hiding with a Hind looking for you. Wow. It was the first game were I was a lowly grunt, could only save once and one shot could kill. It was a gaming experience that will never be matched. That is the "magic" that has been lost. The thought that you were not the hero, just an ordinary soldier like many many of the people playing had been at one point... you could relate and the fear of being alone and not a highly trained specop did more to immerse you into the game than any fancy shader ever will.

Edited by Ebud

Which do you think is better and why?

They both have reasons why one is better than the other, so you can't really choose just one.

Dont underestimate nostalgia and the 'wow' factor of a pioneer game. I admit though OFP was and is awesome. I loved downloading the car addons, and trying out new weapons. Id love a ARMA2 SG551....

OFP for revolution,early community,gameplay,SP campaigns,speaking sounds,mods(so far) A2 to its size, MP, technical ability/GFX.

Guest Ti0n3r

Arma2, no doubt. Even if there's a lot of bugs and some more or less retarded mistakes and issues. OFP had too many limitations even back in the day.

I preferred it that way. I played OFP, cti almost exclusively, but skipped Arma but have now recently began playing arma 2. I enjoy it but I don't think it's that much better than OFP cti to be honest.

I prefer the lack of a join in progress option, for public play. Was a hassle not having it for match play but in pub play it had many advantages. In arma 2 I'm seeing people join and quit more often, risk of people joining on the opposite side with the knowledge of mhq/base locale is a problem. Before since it took a while to start games up people stayed til the end, even through a beating. Now people simply quit knowing they can rejoin later.

The AI for res is much better than ofp, too good in some instances when foilage is involved. I miss the ability to hide in bushes from OFP days, though it was a bit too easy until cleanrock's later versions fixed that more. Now it's as if foilage is useless which is a shame since that was a big part of what made OFP great, nothing like hiding in bushes near an enemy base waiting for the MHQ to make it's move.

Perhaps the other cti versions are different, for arma2 I've only played crcti 6 and 7, but aircraft aren't usually used within the games since they don't really last as long as in the past. Some medium needs to be found in this, like the OH of OFP days, small cheap but effective in the right hands though not overwhelming enough to usually change the course of a game.

I'm liking arma2 but it can't compare to OFP since it was the originator in my eyes of a new genre of fps games with CTI.

I love ARMA 2. Hated ARMA 1 for some reason. Didn`t grab me, but ARMA 2 does. FP 1 rocked. The worst bugs outta the gate for me for FP at release was the buggy vehicle commanding of the A.I. But.... I could do the tutorials and COMPLETE the tutorials.

So playing FP even with the bugs was good right outta the gates.

As much as I love ARMA 2, I can`t say the same for ARMA 2. I liked being able to adjust FPs lighting to look more gritty realistic too, ARMA 2 doesn`t have that light adjusting feature. FP didn`t have fps hardcoded to 30 fps max either.

Once we see some regularly timely released patch updates, I think ARMA 2 is gonna be hard to beat for the milcombat genre.

OFP Top, Arma1/2 are a shame.

Buy get a few modmakers in a team or take mods advance the graphic and try to sell something as a new game -.-

so long BI didn't make a "ARMA" part that give the players abilities that are better than OFP+Mods ether is no chance that they get applaud for they work and get only finger points on the bugs/mistakes and limtiaons.

To say it clearly graphic makes a game not better, and thats every think that arma1/2 have accomplished but where is the rest?

Why are the marines and Russia CDF civilians are all using all the same tactics in battle?

Why are the car/Tank/Helicopter/Aeroplane AI controls interior every game part the same?no Hud´s?no HDD´s?Magic radar? no interior in the most tanks?

Why is their the same dameg model with HPin every vehicel?

Why is a m1 like a T90 a cobra like a hind i thot this is a "military sim" and not Battelfield counterstrick deltaforce sas fastrope game.

In OFP times is somthink like that ok but after loooooooot of years ehm, yes fail.

this are only few things that are the same and are in OFP too and didn't change since ARMA.

OFP is clearly the winner and with the mods and limations its even far greater than ARMA 2 can ever be(arma dident evoveld its only degradet), and looking what work BI has make with ARMA 1/2 all credits for OFP have to go to Codmasters.

Bugs are normal and are patch away but not evolving to get greater.....

Well, Ofp campaigns are good, I still enjoy them after several replaing, but the game itself is outdated, very limited and sometime pain in the butt. Still its fun and a nice game, but compared to ArmA II possibilities it loose on all the lines.

Unfortunatly people see sometimes only in the grafics that advanced and thinks that it's the only improvement. Missing the other feature newly implented/ improved they mark the game as ehm degraded compared to Ofp....