Sign in to follow this  
sbsmac

ANNOUNCE: PVP script pack released

I also meant to say that Novalogic hasn't had a good game since Delta Force 2 :D

I've just created a short tutorial on creating templates using the wizard which you can view here:-

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AXuh3Vk4j3BUZGc5ODYzdmJfNTFnZmtyZ2Jmcw&hl=en_GB

I would like to include user-made templates in a new wizard update in the next week or so. If you would like your template included in the'official' template distribution, please let me know!

ta fellas, thanks for the tips, very helpful.

ill check out sbs-coolbox's stuff, sounds like what im looking for.

by PsP, i mean 'Progressive spawn Point'.

yeah some would say deltaforce(proper) series was the last good game by novalogic (bhd sucked it big time). however JO got me into a squad and squad-based tourneys, and i reckon JO, so far, is was the best for this, even if it had 'other issues', which did suck at times, but i feel no game is perfect.

>> turning blue from holding breath for 'AngelFalls'. :{

simple tags would be, maybe just an icon over the player to shown allegience, whereas complex would include name(? and rank) although rank is kinda pointless(unnessisary) in an AAS squad tourney, (as we dont follow a ranking system), this is simply to show who is close by when you cant actually see them directly .think 'situational awareness', which ive found most difficult in arma. again, as im really only interested in AAS style playing, these points pertain to it and not the other styles(non-team based PvP).

anyhoo, thanks again guys. much appreciated and good luck with further iterations of the scripting-jigger.

:}

.LJ

well i could not find anything related to 'sbs-coolbox', but found a Black Rock Beach map by TomAnger, which is exactly what i want(ta Tom). however i cannot use it as a template because i cant change the name, even tho the .pbo file has a different name, and when trying to load into the editor i get 2 missions of the same name coming up and the game will not let me edit either of them...?!

i tried to download the 16V16AAS map template but the archive is broken!?

and im not sure which bits go where...

in the manual you instruct;

""Now alt-tab out of ArmA2 and use windows explorer to navigate to the new mission directory. This will probably be in a folder like C:\Documents and Settings\Gamer\My Documents\ArmA Other Profiles\[sBS]mac\missions\CTF-simple.Intro. (Substitute your user name for [sBS]mac.) You should find only a single file called 'mission.sqm' in the folder.

Now copy the contents of the CTFScriptPack folder into your mission folder. You should end up with a mission folder that looks like the one pictured here.""

ok, so firstly i go into the editor and place 2 spawns and 2 soldier markers (for simplicity). save it as a user mission and i can find the mission.sqm file ok.

now i get to the (bolded text above) next line...what ctfscriptpack folder?, there isnt one yet.

so i think, alright ill go into the ctf editor and create an AAS mission and ,voila, i have the above mentioned folder, but it contains no info from the mission.sqf i made in the game editor,

so, i overwrite the mission.sqf in the ctf folder with the first one i made. this works but now the mission has none of the objectives or markers from the AAS(ctfpack) mission. does it matter which way i copy? considering im still overwriting one of the mission.sqf files and therefore losing that info.

in what order do i have to do these operations? ctfpack first, then game edit it? or game edit it and then the script pack? these intructions are confusing. i really want to get my head around this, otherwise ive wasted another 100 bucks on another game i cant get into and be creative.

another thing, why wont these missions be seen by the 3Deditor(ctrl-e)? i find it very hard to place some objects in the 2Deditor(mp) because their icons bear no relation to their actual dimensions, meaning constant back and forth between edit and play, to see if stuff fits/lines up properly, frustrating and time consuming. it took me 3-4 hrs yesterday to place a single base, aromoury a soldier + spawn, bunker and a handfull of vehicles! this would take mere minutes in Nile (yeah yeah i go on about it, sorry. but its so easy to use)

anyhoo, help would be appreciated.

cheers

.LJ

ok, you're sorta jumping around on the steps.

if you're going to use the wizard, it will create the necessary folders etc, after you're done editing. It looks like you're confusing the wizard with the script pack. Use either the script pack, or the wizard. I wouldn't suggest using both.

Do this, edit the mission you want with the editor. Place the markers as required. Start learning with a basic Capture the Flag Mission. You will need the following markers minimum:

Place

1) respawn_west

2) respawn_east

3) eflag

4) wflag

put a single soldier west soldier in the respawn_west marker

save it as a user mission.

fire up the wizard.

click on "show missions that don't use the script pack"

click on the mission you just saved "it should be in shaded text".

Load it, it will then convert to current wizard level.

alter the mission parameters for it and save.

when you save, it should build everything for you... you won't have to move any of the script pack stuff.

go back into arma2 editor and reload it, and test it. You can either Export to Multiuser or save it as a pbo in the wizard.

once you learn it this way, you can start just using the wizard as primary and only use the arma2 editor for tuning.

You're trying to make an advanced mission without learning the basics.

I've done several missions like the beloved Joint Ops missions. It's not "quite" the same but close.

Also, some PBO's don't import well into the wizard. Open the Pbo into the wizard, but when you save, it may crush the init. files.

Learn the basics, then very soon, you will be able to use any of the islands and whip out a JO mission quickly without messing with someone elses pbo's.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

Hi,

I have a weired thing happening in one of my games created with scriptpack and later converted with the wizard. When I'm killed I appear at the place where I was initially inserted at the start of the game and stay there for the duration of the respawn time.

I know that other players don't see me because they running past me and pay no attention. Than I get transfered to paradrop/respawn zone for a fraction of a second and than randomly dropped back in the game. I manually inserted this (CTF_preservePlayerSpawnPos=false;) in the ctfConfig.sqf file, thought it might help. It did not. It is not really a big problem, just curious why is it happening in only one game. Probably missed something somewhere.

Any ideas?

Thank you

K

Ah - I think you have the initial player position outside the respawn zone and the death-cam set to "away" which focuses on the initial player position. You've found a minor bug. You can probably work aroudn this by setting the death-cam to "body" until I fix it properly.

You are correct, setting the death-cam to "body" has fixed this. All my players positions are outside the respawn zone.

Thank you

well i could not find anything related to 'sbs-coolbox', but found a Black Rock Beach map by TomAnger, which is exactly what i want(ta Tom). however i cannot use it as a template because i cant change the name, even tho the .pbo file has a different name, and when trying to load into the editor i get 2 missions of the same name coming up and the game will not let me edit either of them...?!

i tried to download the 16V16AAS map template but the archive is broken!?

and im not sure which bits go where...

in the manual you instruct;

""Now alt-tab out of ArmA2 and use windows explorer to navigate to the new mission directory. This will probably be in a folder like C:\Documents and Settings\Gamer\My Documents\ArmA Other Profiles\[sBS]mac\missions\CTF-simple.Intro. (Substitute your user name for [sBS]mac.) You should find only a single file called 'mission.sqm' in the folder.

Now copy the contents of the CTFScriptPack folder into your mission folder. You should end up with a mission folder that looks like the one pictured here.""

ok, so firstly i go into the editor and place 2 spawns and 2 soldier markers (for simplicity). save it as a user mission and i can find the mission.sqm file ok.

now i get to the (bolded text above) next line...what ctfscriptpack folder?, there isnt one yet.

so i think, alright ill go into the ctf editor and create an AAS mission and ,voila, i have the above mentioned folder, but it contains no info from the mission.sqf i made in the game editor,

so, i overwrite the mission.sqf in the ctf folder with the first one i made. this works but now the mission has none of the objectives or markers from the AAS(ctfpack) mission. does it matter which way i copy? considering im still overwriting one of the mission.sqf files and therefore losing that info.

in what order do i have to do these operations? ctfpack first, then game edit it? or game edit it and then the script pack? these intructions are confusing. i really want to get my head around this, otherwise ive wasted another 100 bucks on another game i cant get into and be creative.

another thing, why wont these missions be seen by the 3Deditor(ctrl-e)? i find it very hard to place some objects in the 2Deditor(mp) because their icons bear no relation to their actual dimensions, meaning constant back and forth between edit and play, to see if stuff fits/lines up properly, frustrating and time consuming. it took me 3-4 hrs yesterday to place a single base, aromoury a soldier + spawn, bunker and a handfull of vehicles! this would take mere minutes in Nile (yeah yeah i go on about it, sorry. but its so easy to use)

anyhoo, help would be appreciated.

cheers

.LJ

I just re-read your post again. You should REALLY read up on arma editing and the forums. Most of your questions aren't addressed within the PvP Mission Wizard, but more in the general Arma2 editing forums.

The 3d editor isn't supported yet by BIS and creates a totally different file structure, and there are volumes of information relating to this.

Need to clarify again what's going on here....

BIS (Arma/Arma2) created the editor and the structure of the supporting files etc. Not SBmac.

The PVP Script Pack is the original way SBmac created tools to incorporate the mundane scripting issues with creating pvpmissions. It is not a requirement to use the scriptpack with the PvP Mission wizard.

The Mission Wizard: edits the necessary text files that were previously edited by hand in the script pack. THAT'S ALL IT REALLY DOES. (no offense mac..) it IS NOT intended to replace the Arma2 editor. Nor will it ever be. You can alter some things in it instead of going into the editor, but you will STILL need to learn the editor for objects, triggers, and markers, etc.

The wizard and the scripts that are built cut many hours of coding and goofing around that you would have to edit by hand previously. You can literally make a basic map in less than 5 min. IF YOU KNOW THE BASICS OF THE ARMA2 EDITOR.

---- Look, the Arma2 editor makes one file. ONE.... mission.sqm

if you want to use the script pack. Create the above file with the editor and save it as a user file/mission. It will be in your documents/arma2 other profiles/missions directory.

Copy the script pack (if you want to use it) into that directory.

You're done but still have to edit the ctfConfig.sqf file by hand.

or you can use the Wizard. The wizard does NOT alter the mission.sqm files, placement of objects (for the most part). The arma2 editor creates that text file, and unless you know what you're doing, don't open it and mess around editing it.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

ive had another go at it (AAS, Not CTF), still having problems.

however, i cant understand how the 3D editor is not supported by BIS when its part of their game???

and yeah, i do realise that SBmac is not responsible for the files structure, never said he was...

as far as reading the 'editing' forums, i have had a good look and found nothing relating to what i want (AAS). im not interested in doing ctf maps, but i understand where youre coming from. can anyone point me to a thread(s) that relate to AAS maps rather than the monstrosity that is the 'editing' forums.

as i said ive had another go and will post my progress in the 'mission editing and scripting' of the 'editing' forum. please have a look if youve time.

cheers

.LJ

Hey sbs mac, i haven't been around in a long time, but today i checked in to see whats new with the arma 2 community.

Anyway, Long story short, I just wanted to say that I really hope you win the community award.

Unfortunately I missed the voting window, but I sincerely hope you get the award, nobody deserves it more than you in my opinion.

Im going to reinstall Arma 2 on my pc and start making maps again using your fantastic tools.

Of course now that your on version three, im sure there are a ton of new features to explore, as I get reacquainted. :)

I can honestly say that using your tools, I got more enjoyment out of the game than ever would have been possible without them.

Its just too bad when it came to actually getting people to play with me..........well thats another story..............

Still though, You have my gratitude, and the entire community is very lucky to have you.

Even if when it comes down to actually playing they dont know sh*t from shinola. LOL.

Keep up the great work!

Thank You.

Hello guys!

Anyone has an idea why i am constantly getting unhandled exception error, when trying to make a new mission, or loading an older one in pvpmission wizard? What am i doing wrong?

Deadsmell - thanks for the kind words and good to see you back. Unfortunately I didn't even make the shortlist for nominations - guess I need to lobby for a category of 'tools and scripts' ;-)

Make sure you check out the mission wizard - it really does make life a lot simpler.

Warrick - if you are getting an exception, you've found a bug and I would very much like to get more details from you. You'll probably notice a 'details' section in the dialog that pops up when you get the exception - if you could cut and paste the resulting text into an email to me I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks - from the report it looks like there is a problem reading the mission.sqm file. This might be because of something in it or possibly because you are using a non-english character set ? Anyway, if you can send me the mission.sqm file I can take a look.

ive had another go at it (AAS, Not CTF), still having problems.

however, i cant understand how the 3D editor is not supported by BIS when its part of their game???

and yeah, i do realise that SBmac is not responsible for the files structure, never said he was...

as far as reading the 'editing' forums, i have had a good look and found nothing relating to what i want (AAS). im not interested in doing ctf maps, but i understand where youre coming from. can anyone point me to a thread(s) that relate to AAS maps rather than the monstrosity that is the 'editing' forums.

as i said ive had another go and will post my progress in the 'mission editing and scripting' of the 'editing' forum. please have a look if youve time.

cheers

.LJ

welcome to editing in Arma. These things are necessary in the learning curve known as Arma2.

not sure quite what you mean by 'these things' luhgnut.

downloaded and unpacked the archive; "aas-MAPTEMPLATES-beta-XX.zip", recomended to me. they are all .BPO 'templates'. problem is they wont load into the PvPscriptpack and i cannot edit them using the arma2MPeditor.:confused:

not sure quite what you mean by 'these things' luhgnut.

downloaded and unpacked the archive; "aas-MAPTEMPLATES-beta-XX.zip", recomended to me. they are all .BPO 'templates'. problem is they wont load into the PvPscriptpack and i cannot edit them using the arma2MPeditor.:confused:

you are confusing all the tools and what they do. Start with the basics. Get the Mr. Murray's tutorial for Arma1 (the commands are the same). learn the basics first. You're trying to conquer the world without the basics.

So I've tried my hand at using the wizard and so far it makes making missions a dream, however I've had and issue with the AAS.

I've started a small mission with three areas to capture, I wanted to test it out to make sure it worked out. I put the minimum players to 1, and set it to end when one side captures all the objectives. I've tried testing it out myself but even after capturing all the objectives the mission never ended. Do I need to have the mission on a dedicated server, or do I need to have opposition before it will end the mission?

2nd question, it seems to disable the map in the briefing window, is there a way to bring this back?

For the map in briefing, open up the description.ext file and change the 0 to 1 for enableMap (or something like that). I don't remember being able to change that with the wizard, but's it been awhile since I messed with missions.

Maybe someone can answer your first question... my guess is dedicated server would work better, but might need 2 people (or more) to test properly.

Glad to hear you like it :-) To answer your first question, the scripts have a 'feature' that the game will not start until there is at least one player on each side (for non-coop games). This was added partly to cater for Tom Anger's siege and TDM type games where the objective is to kill all players on one side - in that case you don't want the game starting and finishing immediately when only one player joins. You should notice that the HUD displays "waiting for players" rather than a time remaining in this case.

To be honest it's caused more confusion than it's worth and I'm considering removing the feature in future releases. For now, just take my word for it that the game _will_ end when you have players on both sides and all objectives are captured :)

The map in the briefing is hidden for the first few seconds. This is to give the scripts time to remove all the extra markers. As well as being cosmetic, this was added to support insurgency style missions where one side saw the markers and the other side didn't. You should find that the map is available after 5 seconds or so.

Please don't remove it. It is a great asset. Actually if more folks would rather do without it then I see no reason to go that route. Just saying :D

I won't take it out yet :) BTW, I've released v 3.10 of the scripts. Changes since 3.02...

* Players cannot be harmed in spawn and cannot harm players from spawn.

3.09/3.08

* CTF games can no longer end in draws. In the event of equal flags and touches, the number of kills (actually respawns used by the opposing side) will determine the outcome. Number of kills is shown in the HUD.

* Better support for custom initialisation code.

3.06/3.05/3.04

* Improve paradrop zones. Players will now always spawn outside of buildings if they land on top. Paradrops work much better for DM's (instant drop). Paradrops were not correctly choosing a random position

* IFF tagging did not correctly work in MP.

The PVPMissionWizard will automatically download the latest version of the scripts.

For good measure, I've fixed (I hope) a couple of bugs in the wizard as well...

* The wizard could crash when opening mission files for users where floating point numbers are written with commas instead of periods (typically France and Germany).

* The wizard could crash when opening pbo files created with recent versions of pbo.dll.