Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

Spot the difference

Hills in the background !

What did I win ?

I think the word "need" is excessive but in my opinion it looks good (specially when you're flying)

Yup I would say it's more than welcome when flying if you can't affort a high view distance

It's the removal of the skybox mountains, those images were taken with identical view settings. Those mountains are not real, ingame mountains, they're "painted" on the sky, and thus do not exist. I painted them out. They were just annoying me, every time I saw the horizon I saw these mountains that weren't there.

Just a little thing :)

You can't pretend I didn't anwser right DM, you owe me a winner price (and it better have big boobs) :bounce3:

I see differences.

I don't see the point.

What's up dude? What do you want us to see?

(...)They were just annoying me, every time I saw the horizon I saw these mountains that weren't there.

I love the distant mountains... when looking north, it blends vey well with the real hills... Makes you think you have 20km viewdistance when you have 2km... but to each his own I guess...

The mountains make low view distances seem more like haze and low fog.

Upper pic also seems darker.

Ideally they'd appear to the North and West of Chernarus and not out to sea but that's probably asking too much.

I think I like the 2nd pic, without the distant mountain which is not real afterall. Are making an addon DM? If you do, i'll use it... Another question, does it improve fps a bit? Even if it doesn't improve fps, I would still use it :)

I can't imagine it giving more than a couple of frames per second back to you, but in all honesty I'd use it if it did that. Any FPS is good fps, plus, as others have said, they're not really there, and when you see them out to sea, its a little unrealistic.

I think the WORST problem with the horizon is when it is rendered as a solid line. You can see the division between sky and ground too clearly. I wish BIS would blur the horizon and give the illusion of greater depth.

Personally I think Chernarus looks better with those distant hills.

However having something different would be good for other maps.

I think the WORST problem with the horizon is when it is rendered as a solid line. You can see the division between sky and ground too clearly. I wish BIS would blur the horizon and give the illusion of greater depth.

This.

And also, as some other people said, it would be nice to have them appear only to the north and west, and not around the sea.

So, DMarkwick, if you can do anything with the upper two things, that'd be awesome :)

The new images do absolutely nothing for FPS, it neither improves nor makes it worse. It's literally a texture replacement. As Maddmatt says, they're appropriate for maps that don't need skybox hills.

I could easily do a version that has mountains, but only to the north & north west, but it would still only be appropriate to the Chernarus map.

As an addon, it weighs in at 38mb, which is *slightly* larger than the original textures themselves. I might be better off waiting for Texview 3 and see how that compresses better. But the space saving would only be about 10%

When looking at realism I would go for the one without the hills.. those are painted hills without them actually beeing there. When you need to coordinate with only a map without having GPS you have to coordinate on the things around you, villages, forests and hills.

lol, it gets kind of annoying sometimes when I think I'm flying to land but actually I'm heading further out to the ocean....

i think this is a great idea, because whenever i try to fly to them using the F-16 mod, i always eventualy just hit ocean, not mountains. Be sure to paint out the ones in utes, too ;)

Yeah, even if it's the same for all maps I'd use a North/West hills only version of this if it can be done. Even away from Chernarus, an island like Utes for instance is very likely adjacent to a land mass but with open sea in the opposite direction and it would turn something disorientating into an aid to orientation

I would love to get rid of my "mountains"! I dont like them that much. Yes, it looks good but they are not there and for me this gameserie has been all about "if its there its there".

Seeing mountains that doesnt exist is confusing for me when navigating. I use landmarks while walking and while flying they mean land for me.. They are very wrong when I play on Sahrani and I guess when a decent Everon port is coming it wil be a big no-no to have distant mountains.

So please, release it!

I like the mountains personally. I also like the lack of grass around the unit's feet in the lower picture. :)

However the fake mountains do give less of a claustrophobic feel to the world. ArmA1 gave me a very closed in feeling. Maybe due to that i cant run with 10k VD hehe.

But im sure this makes some people happy. :) (DM usually makes people happy so...)

Alex

You convinced me. Yes, the world feels alot more immersive with the distant hills. :p

(I was under the impression that they actually excisted in the empty landscape that you get before the infiniteness, but since i didnt really care i never checked it)