Sign in to follow this  
[frl]myke

.mdl (FS2004) to .p3d?

I'm not familiar with 3D programs (besides O2) so i'm stuck on how i could get .mdl format models into O2 (.p3d).

Found a site that offers free models of different planes and some are....let's say "interesting" and surely worth a closer look.

If you're interested yourself, here's the link:

http://www.alphasim.co.uk/as_freeware.html

from a quick google search it is evident that .mdl files are compiled and can't be converted into a readable format (sort of like ODOL for arma). Please someone correct me if im wrong.

Hmm...got a link for that? Google just "knows" something about same file format being used in Half Life & CSS. Nor did i found a program that could handle .mdl (which speaks for your info) or anything else that could be helpful.

theres also quake and gamestudio in mdl formats but i think you will never be able to convert flight sim mdl back to 3ds that would be to easy :) just search in google for "mdl to 3ds" and you will see the problematics. Only tool i know thats able to convert msfs mdl to autocad dxf and txt is MDL2DXF converter for FS2002

Edited by Atsche

Thanks SgtAce. Sadly this converter doesn't work with FS .mdl format later than FS95. The models on the linked side are for FS2002 or CFS2.

It is VERY easy to get Flight Sim 2004, FSX models into 3ds Max.

PM me for info

It is VERY easy to get Flight Sim 2004, FSX models into 3ds Max.

PM me for info

How about posting the info here for everyone to see?

That Alphasim free stuff sounds interesting , btw is there any pics of those freeware planes?

How about posting the info here for everyone to see?

You will need FS2004 (or FSX if you have it) and 3dsmax 8 or 9 (the importer only works with those ones I think, not 3ds max 2008 or 2009).

Download and install 3dripperdx (I would recommend latest beta version)

Start 3dripperdx, select the path to FS. unselect all options on right side. Select Launch. (Make note of the dirs that the model and textures are going to be created in)

From the FS main screen (create a flight), select the aircraft you want to capture. Press F12

Exit FS

Start 3ds Max, select IMPORT, select .3dr and open the dir where the ripper created the capture. Open the file. Unselect all lower options in importer except make sure it is showing the texture in the main screen. Also select the recommended values, take either of the ones that are there. (this will make sure the model is the correct dimensions). Make sure you select Merge into a single mesh (it makes that model cleaner and easier to handle). Select OK.

Voila, your model is now in 3ds Max.

Now , there are couple of things you have to do to get to O2 from here.

1) Your model may look very rough (no smoothing). Simply select the model, go to vertex mode, press Control A (to select all vertices), now select WELD and make sure you select .001 from the spinner. This will weld all vertices that are really close together. This will take a fair amount of time to do. After that you can select a smooth modifier.

2) The model and associated textures are now in one mesh with each texture assigned to a submaterial. I have downloaded a script that populates the material editor

3) The model may be too big (polys) for O2 (Arma) , I would recommend getting poly saver program OR use multires.

OF course it does. It is still easy.

You seem very negative about this method. Of course it assumes you have FS and Max.

Is there are reason that you don't like this method because all your posts in this thread have been of a very negative nature.

yes because as someone who makes a living out of making models I frown on 'ripping'. If those models were meant for conversion and editing they would have been provided as open source.

Alphasim actually gave permission for people to convert them into other games, so I am not sure why you are so negative about this.

Some other addons seem to be imported from FS:

Douglas A-20 Boston by Alphasim, ported to ArmA by hotshotmike1001

Airbus A319 MPA by CheyenneAH56 and Philip Taylor

So hotshotmike or CheyenneAH56 might know an alternative way to import the models. I guess the FA-addons might already include animation axis and lower lods, so importing those might save some hours of work...

hotshotmike1001 is complete lost cause. He don't know or care anything about porting a model/addon. Don't get your hopes up when talking about his work :)

3dripperdx is a very good way to go IF you have FS and 3ds Max of course. It is simple to do and you don't lose anything in the process.

As kju stated before, "alphasim gave the okay to port their work to any other game for non commercial use".

The link should include source files of the ALPHASIM freeware, but it seems that CheyenneAH56 is the only one who knows, how to convert them :)

No CheyenneAH used 3dripperdx I believe.

Plus if you want to convert any of those to .3ds for example, I can do that for you. I can also export OBJ files and the you should be able to find a bunch of converters for other formats from both .3ds and Obj. Remember O2 imports .3ds files

Edited by acer1961

FSX and 3DRipperdx were how I ported the (released) Piper Warrior to ArmA1 several years ago, with permission from the author of course.

Also have an approved Cessna that I never finished, that might make it to ArmA2

Biggest problem is some of the vertexes are messed up at times, and its a real pain to repair and remap.

Gnat;1370281']FSX and 3DRipperdx were how I ported the (released) Piper Warrior to ArmA1 several years ago' date=' with permission from the author of course.

Also have an approved Cessna that I never finished, that might make it to ArmA2

Biggest problem is some of the vertexes are messed up at times, and its a real pain to repair and remap.[/quote']

Just a note, did you select all vertices, then WELD them using .001 as the tolerance then apply the smooth modifier and select prevent indirect smoothing. I have found that works great to get rid of the vertices problem.