Sign in to follow this  
[frl]myke

.mdl (FS2004) to .p3d?

theres a tool called model converter x, but it only seems to work with fsx .mdl files

Wow, Its funny how you get asked a simple Question and it turns into a debate over 3d rippers and everything not relevant to the question, Does anyone know the answer, or does everyone just like typing and seeing their words dance across the screen....

The Problem with any game and community is people always want to reinvent the wheel, but never want to openly share how they do things. I came from an FSX virtual Mil to Arma2 so i could use the aircraft i loved to fly in FSX, on actual simulated battles. all the ego tripping and hating is very old. Most developers are more than happy to allow getting their work across different game platforms, it builds their portfolio and brings them praise from more avenues than the original game they modeled for. so if you have good suggestions keep em coming , but sifting thru 30 forum pages of crap really sucks gang..... and deters the people who do want to learn and add to the community.....

Most developers are more than happy to allow getting their work across different game platforms, it builds their portfolio and brings them praise from more avenues than the original game they modeled for.

In this case it is very easy: ask those developers for .3ds files.

What myke said: if you think those developers are so anxious to have their models ported across a number of games, they should be willing to give you their source models, in the original format, or a generic format, such as 3ds or obj...

Then you shouldn't even bother with converting a encrypted file format into a readable one, would you?

i really don't care as i can model, pretty much what i want.... but the question is Why? Are we all not trying to achieve the same goal with Arma2/OA or the series for that matter??help the new guys out don't tear em down, i'm sure you guys just didn't jump right in up to your necks and start modelling.....you reverse engineered more than a few models i'm sure ..its part of the learning curve...

i really don't care as i can model, pretty much what i want.... but the question is Why? Are we all not trying to achieve the same goal with Arma2/OA or the series for that matter??help the new guys out don't tear em down, i'm sure you guys just didn't jump right in up to your necks and start modelling.....you reverse engineered more than a few models i'm sure ..its part of the learning curve...

Not really no.

As a matter of fact, i started playing around at my dads office with 3ds max when i was around 17, doing the tutorials and some other simple stuff.

Then i started using at the university for architecture, and ended up modelling for this game. The web is full of useful resources, tutorials and whatever else needed.

Since A1 has all the models released in MLOD format, you got most of the information there. If it isn't, i can ask around.

The only thing i reversed engineered from a game is the configs, and rvmats. But never a model in order to release it, or learn from it...

I am willing to help out as much as i can, and i actually did in the past with more than 1 person. That doesn't mean it is ok to answer questions about ripping models from other games...if they have permission, they probably have the source files as well. For instance everything Robert Hammer releases for A2 are based/ported models from CSS.

All the weapons have been modeled for that one, and he has permission to do that from the original creators. There is nothing wrong with that.

No need to reinvent the wheel as you say. But obviously some common sense is needed.

SO new modders have the following options:

1. Use A1 MLODs as their starting point, and modify those.

2. Start creating their own using their preferred 3d modelling software, and use the MLODs as reference

3. Ask for permission from other ppl work (A2 or any other game), and have that ported over.

To conclude:

It is not about porting stuff over from 3d party applications, free models or whatever else, it is about the way you go about it..

Edited by PuFu

Yes, but not without asking for permission first. The original author either agrees and might even give you files that can be directly edited, so you don't have to hack your way in, or he doesn't, in which case you move on.

I've never had to reverse engineer anyone's content, as BIS has always released sample models of it's content, so it's senseless to mess with other file formats that have to be reworked to a varying extent depending on what format it was. I learned to model with the help of the tutorials by Brsseb, and I know of a lot of people that learned it that way without having to reverse engineer anything. After that it is a matter of reading more advanced tutorials and practicing by producing with feedback from others. Most of the people in this community that reverse engineer content without asking the creator aren't doing it for the educational value, but to steal the content and sell it, and/or get credits by presenting it as their own.

Edited by JdB

don't flip the script to me , I CAN Model My own work...however i have looked at others work to determine how a particular thing was done or how a tool was used etc ... anyway ,, AlphaSim gave the originator of the post permission to port thier product. and all hell broke loose in this thread about ripping and stealing .....when the guy said in his very first post i believe he had gained permission ................

No, there is no hell loose..

No one pointed fingers at you anyone else for that matter. It just a principle thing, that if you want permission you ask for it...

Lads, calm down. I am the "guy in the very first post", i feel my question was answered so no need to start a war about it. Question ansered, thread can be closed IMHO. No further discussion required.