Sign in to follow this  
topeira

Bullet drop. where is it?

i just realised my bullets dont drop at all. bullets hit the same spot im aiming at at 300 meters.

am i blind? have i disabled something?!

300 meters might not be far enough for you to notice any bullet drop.

Hmm, maybe the problem is that a lot of the rifles and such are zeroed in for 300 meters?

No missing drop here from what I've seen. Can't say I've tried all the guns though.

Edited by psycosmos

Im not an expert, but maybe 300 meter isn't far enough to get noticable bullet drop with the weapon you're using?

If you're firing a rifle it shouldn't drop at 300 meters. Most assault rifles are zeroed at 300 meters. Try shooting at something much further and you will see that you will have to aim high.

he he he :)

ok. maybe 300 isn't that far. it's just that i almost never get the need to fire farther than this :P

not a big sniping fan.

at which range should i aim about human height higher than a human target? 800???

he he he :)

ok. maybe 300 isn't that far. it's just that i almost never get the need to fire farther than this :P

not a big sniping fan.

at which range should i aim about human height higher than a human target? 800???

You have to adjust for every single meter that the target is off you're sights zeroed range.

It's not dramatic concerning CQB distances, but depending on the weapon and it's calibre you will have to adjust heavily above the zeroed range.

Some have a rather shallow trajectory ( most high power cartriges ), some do not.

If you want to see the full effect take the SVD or Vintorez because with them the chevrons are one of the more obvious indicators for ballistics.

Especialy the later because of it's low power.

shoot tracers and you can see them drop.or shoot a pistol at the sea. the assault rifles do seem to have very little drop but looking on t'internet the m16 has an effective range of 550m !

If it's anything like ArmA, the assault rifles are zeroed for 300m and the sniper rifles 600m mostly.

The drop usually comes at about 600 meters. In RL, the AK-47 drops drastically for me within 200 m so use the Ak's for closer range engagements, as even in game, they have terrible accuracy.:)

The 7.62x54R on the other hand usually lasts out to about 500-700 meters depending on how good of a shot you are.:)

when u guys say that an AR is zeroed at 300m does that mean the rifle actually shoots slightly UPWARD so at 300m it will heat dead center?

(i guess IRL. not necessary in the game)

when u guys say that an AR is zeroed at 300m does that mean the rifle actually shoots slightly UPWARD so at 300m it will heat dead center?

It will shoot dead centre upto 300. After that the bullet will lose speed and start to drop.

Fire up the editor. Pick a sniper (m107 is the daddy of them all) line bad guys up. Click middle mouse when you have your binos or scope over the target and you get a distance. PLay around and get good at them.

Heres a test. Aim for a head shot at and enemy at 700m full zoom and it will fall short due to bullet drop. At that range you need to rain the bullet down onto the target. Go full zoom at 300m and aim head and the shot will go high because the zoom changes the zero point. No zoom at 300m and head shot every time. Thats just on the flat, different elevations changes things too.

For assault rifles forget about bullet drop unless your aiming up/down elevation. At medium to long ranges a General rule of thumb is to aim short of the target when shooting from raised elevation and aim above when shooting up elevation.

Check out Dslyexci's TTTP guide, the basic marksmanship area in this section is what you're after.

http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/basic_rifleman.html

Yes. Just remember that the trajectory won't be a perfect parabola, it start dropping faster the further out you go due to wind resistance etc.

Yes, and it is necessary in the game. It's how the ballistics work.

Exactly!

Yeah the graphs from wikipedia seem reliable based on my personal experience. At very short ranges you actually shoot lower, as shown, since the bullet is still "climbing". Then it keeps climbing up to a maximum point and starts dropping to get back to 0 offset at the zero range and then keep dropping even faster. Like already said, the fact the bullet slows down makes it look very different from a parabola at longer distances, but at short distances (often up to around the zero range, but obviously it depends on the weapon/ammo/zero range) it's pretty close to a parabola.

I'm not sure how well all of those are modeled in Arma 2, though. Would be nice if we had some major testing going on for those things ;)

Try the weapon of the Spetznaz, the Bizon.

It acts more like an SMG then an assault rifle and the bullet ballistics reflect that.