Sign in to follow this  
Thunderbird

AI Dispersion Increased for more Immersion

Thanks for this Thunderbird! I'm looking forward to see how this addon develops.

I'm kind of new to this, but, is there a way to only tweak it for certain units?

Like say I want to put down an individual rifleman, could I make it so I could adjust his accuracy, but keep my snipers and machine gunners are a more decent level?

I don't want the special forces units/snipers to be super inaccurate, even if there skill is full

I'm kind of new to this, but, is there a way to only tweak it for certain units?

Like say I want to put down an individual rifleman, could I make it so I could adjust his accuracy, but keep my snipers and machine gunners are a more decent level?

I don't want the special forces units/snipers to be super inaccurate, even if there skill is full

Yes, I'm working on something in these regards.

Regards,

TB

Yes, I'm working on something in these regards.

Regards,

TB

That's interesting news!

Has anyone checked to see if these values also effect the gunners on armored vehicles? That's kinda important also.

I think this is an interesting experiment although personally I prefer the weopons themselves to be modified in terms of dispersion and recoil characteristics.

I think alot of people forget the old BAS JAM3 pack for OFP. That was a very successful standardization that I hope ACE (or any similar mod) follows. That way a player, for example, would NOT be as accurate firing an AK-47 as say, an M16A2 (which is vastly more accurate in the hands of a competent shooter). That way each individual weapon can be carefully tailored to reflect real world input from people who have experience with these various weapon systems. With that said, I'm sure it won't hurt to tone down the AI accuracy a little bit.

Ideally if AI accuracy adjustments can be narrowed to specific classes, that would even be better.

So I hope you can work out some new scripting voodoo T-bird. Keep up the good work!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Thunderbird are you working on tweaking AI dispersion values for machinegunners / snipers or have you found some better way ?

I think this mod is a great step forward. I think AI detection AND accuracy is too good. The lethality of ARMA 2 firefights is way way too high. There are statistics on the average number of small caliber bullets fired per casuality in firefights and usually many hundreds or even thousands of bullets are needed to kill one enemy. Just check any of the numerous firefight videos from Afghanistan or Iraq on youtube. This ofcourse doesn't apply to a short range ambush situation, but a long range firefight where all participants are prone or behind cover.

I also think the enemy can pinpoint your position way too easy. I belive that the enemy quite easily should detect your general position once you eg fire a weapon, but that they hit and kill you with just a few very well aimed bullets when you are kneeling or prone under a bush at 400 meters is just silly.

There is also a playability element - if I have problems spotting the enemy at 400 meters, it gets kind of boring if he (or my AI teammates) spot each other every time without fail.

Yeah, this does not seem to apply to armor, can this be added to vehicles?

Hi all,

Yes, the accuracy can be tailored for each weapon by editing the aiDispersionCoefY and aiDispersionCoefX for each one, at the moment it's set for 6.0 for rifles, 21.0 for HMG's and 17.0 for LMG's, vehicle coaxial MG's are also set at 21.0 for the most part.

I've tweaked these values in mods for both VBS1 and OFP and have begun to experiment with this in Arma2 by making the default value for rifles at around 10.0-12.0 and so far it's working quite well, with firefights lasting longer and becoming more intense. Best of all is that you can leave the value as 6.0 for the scoped weapons so that Snipers/Marksmen don't lose their effectiveness.

I've tested this on LAN with a few mates and so far there's been a huge reduction in the 'Robocop syndrome' in the AI units, and the human players in our team now tend to suffer similar casualties to the AI's instead of being consistently wiped out. They're still fast and can see you through certain obstacles, just not super-accurate anymore.

Suffice to say that this has swung the opinion of a friend of mine who was about to take his game back, he loves it now and feels that now it's a challenge as opposed to a lesson in frustration.

Hope this helps anyone who might be interested in modding this into their own game?

Regards,

-- Archangel

Edited by [SEN]Archangel
Typos, again.

Did some more playing with the mod yesterday. Worked extremely well on longer distances, but led to some silliness on shorter distances. There was one instance where I was prone and a standing enemy was shooting at me from behind at perhaps 30-50 meters and was missing me all the time. Maybe that was a fluke?

Archangel;1350686']Hi all' date='

Yes, the accuracy can be tailored for each weapon by editing the aiDispersionCoefY and aiDispersionCoefX for each one, at the moment it's set for 6.0 for rifles, 21.0 for HMG's and 17.0 for LMG's, vehicle coaxial MG's are also set at 21.0 for the most part.

I've tweaked these values in mods for both VBS1 and OFP and have begun to experiment with this in Arma2 by making the default value for rifles at around 10.0-12.0 and so far it's working quite well, with firefights lasting longer and becoming more intense. Best of all is that you can leave the value as 6.0 for the scoped weapons so that Snipers/Marksmen don't lose their effectiveness.

I've tested this on LAN with a few mates and so far there's been a huge reduction in the 'Robocop syndrome' in the AI units, and the human players in our team now tend to suffer similar casualties to the AI's instead of being consistently wiped out. They're still fast and can see you through certain obstacles, just not super-accurate anymore.

Suffice to say that this has swung the opinion of a friend of mine who was about to take his game back, he loves it now and feels that now it's a challenge as opposed to a lesson in frustration.

Hope this helps anyone who might be interested in modding this into their own game?

Regards,

-- Archangel[/quote']

Archangel are you planning on releasing any of this to the public?

I've been using the AI dispersion mod and although it makes the enemy AI less accurate it also makes my AI buddies completely useless in SP and I find myself having to do most of the killing in an engagement. I'd like a bit of support (they are elite force recon after all?!) but not be shot at 1km by an ememy before I even spot him :(

Archangel;1350686']Hi all' date='

Regards,

-- Archangel[/quote']

Can you release that as a mod?

I'd like to check it out.

AI is so overpowered, i did some test in the night without NVgoggles they can still see me and kill me in 1 burst ...

Edited by camus25555

Hi all,

I'm still experimenting with the accuracy of the vehicle/static weapons, but I'll see if I can release this as a mod fairly soon so you guys can test it and see what you think.

-=New=-

Just found out that setting the AI's skill to maximum overrides the aiDispersionCoef settings, thus lowering it back to 1 again regardless of the value in the config, will have to experiment with making different fire modes for human and AI, with AI having higher manual dispersion. I don't want to edit the AI skills themselves as it has the adverse effect of making the AI marksmen/snipers ineffective, will keep you posted.

Cheers,

-- Archangel

Edited by [SEN]Archangel
Update

Feel free to release it, even here, it doesn't matter.

As long as this contributes to make things evolve and go further.

Yes, the accuracy can be tailored for each weapon by editing the aiDispersionCoefY and aiDispersionCoefX

That's what I have done with the previous release then I prefered to not modifie the weapons accuracy values but rather the AI skills.

---------------

A new version is coming soon, with a more life-like dispersion, as it is hard like hell to hit anything in real life, especially in stressing situations...

Maybe militaries or former militaries know what I'm trying to highlight here.

---------------

Regards,

TB

Note that my current CfgAISkill (just extracted from my unmodified config.bin) looks like this:

class CfgAISkill {

aimingAccuracy[] = {0,0,1,1 };

aimingShake[] = {0,0,1,1 };

aimingSpeed[] = {0,0.500000,1,1 };

endurance[] = {0,0,1,1 };

spotDistance[] = {0,0.200000,1,0.400000 };

spotTime[] = {0,0,1,0.700000 };

courage[] = {0,0,1,1 };

reloadSpeed[] = {0,0,1,1 };

commanding[] = {0,0,1,1 };

general[] = {0,0,1,1 };

};

There has evidently been changes to eg spotDistance and spotTime from those previously reported. I'm of course running 1.02.58134. Can someone else confirm this?

Edit:

Maybe those values always has been like this by default. But Thunderbirds custom CfgAISkill actually increases spotDistance and spotTime to:

class CfgAISkill {

aimingAccuracy[] = {0, 0.16, 1, 0.22};

aimingShake[] = {0, 0.18, 1, 0.22};

aimingSpeed[] = {0, 1, 1, 1};

courage[] = {0, 1, 1, 1};

commanding[] = {0, 1, 1, 1};

endurance[] = {0, 1, 1, 1};

general[] = {0, 1, 1, 1};

reloadSpeed[] = {0, 1, 1, 1};

spotDistance[] = {0, 1, 1, 1};

spotTime[] = {0, 1, 1, 1};

};

Edited by Hraf

Did some testing of my own, trying out various values in the CfgAISkill table.

My somewhat disturbing conclusion is that regardless of the values, is that it doesn't matter if I'm prone, kneeling or standing up at a 100 meters, 200 meters or 300 meters, the AI will still detect me and kill me in the same time. I can make it take longer or shorter time, depending on the values in CfgAISkill, but it doesn't matter if I'm standing up at 100 meters (pretty easy target) or lying down at 300 meters (pretty hard target).

I might be exaggerating a little, but there wasn't any real difference.

If I'm right, then it probably is a bug. I did my testing on the flat grass between the runways at the Vybor (Chernarus) airfiled using an opfor and a marine rifleman. Someone care to try to verify my result?

Yes it is true, without any movement you will get shot.

But you will see the difference if you apply fire and movement.

Dont wait until the A.I. has a focus on you.

Seriously, a prone target at 300 meters with only iron sights is a HARD target just to hit. It is a pretty hard target to even spot. Shouldn't the AI on average have to work a bit more to kill you at that distance than if you are walking towards the enemy at 100 meters?

Well, as some of you seem to handle pretty well the 'unpbo-ing' / 'pbo-ing', then get a look at these new values, they seem to change a lot in-game (Still WIP, though):

class CfgAISkill {
aimingAccuracy[] = {0, 0, 0.3, 0.3};
aimingShake[] = {0, 0, 0.5, 0.5};
aimingSpeed[] = {0, 0.5, 1, 1};
endurance[] = {0, 0, 1, 1};
spotDistance[] = {0, 0.2, 1, 1};
spotTime[] = {0, 0, 0.6, 0.6};
courage[] = {0, 0, 1, 1};
reloadSpeed[] = {0, 0, 1, 1};
commanding[] = {0, 0, 1, 1};
general[] = {0, 0, 1, 1};
};

Regards,

TB

Well, as some of you seem to handle pretty well the 'unpbo-ing' / 'pbo-ing', then get a look at these new values, they seem to change a lot in-game (Still WIP, though):

class CfgAISkill {
aimingAccuracy[] = {0, 0, 0.3, 0.3};
aimingShake[] = {0, 0, 0.5, 0.5};
aimingSpeed[] = {0, 0.5, 1, 1};
endurance[] = {0, 0, 1, 1};
spotDistance[] = {0, 0.2, 1, 1};
spotTime[] = {0, 0, 0.6, 0.6};
courage[] = {0, 0, 1, 1};
reloadSpeed[] = {0, 0, 1, 1};
commanding[] = {0, 0, 1, 1};
general[] = {0, 0, 1, 1};
};

Regards,

TB

hi TB, could explain more about the various numbers? eg:

aimingAccuracy[] = {a, b, c, d};

what are the numbers a,b,c,d represents?

thank you

thank you

No one knows what the values represent.

thank you

A = Low skill value

B = Low skill aiming accuracy probability

C = High skill value

D = High skill aiming accuracy probability

1 = 100% Precision

0 = 0 % Precision

In oder words : aimingAccuracy[] = {0, 0, 0.3, 0.3};

-> 0.3 = 30% Precision, so the AI will have 70% of chance to miss you.

Regards,

TB

At the risk of sounding noob (which I am!) I have a couple of basic??

- where is the folder that you unpbo/pbo?

- Could you clarify what is high/low skill value?

- would changing these values effect your own aim/accuracy?

Thanks for the geat work.

Edited by CaptainBravo