Sign in to follow this  
STALKERGB

WIP British 4 Rifle Soldiers

just a quick one stalker, will you be making some "off duty" units, like with just the DPM pants and like t-shirts on etc?

That sounds brilliant - I dont know how this works exactly but it would be great to have the .paa from your clan XML appear on the back or breast of a t-shirt! As I said I don't know how it works but it if it's reasonably simple I think it would be wicked! Hope the weathers holding out for you in Florence, bloody miserable here at the moment! :rolleyes:

Hope the weathers holding out for you in Florence, bloody miserable here at the moment! :rolleyes:

Unfortunately is really cold and windy here :(

Unfortunately is really cold and windy here :(

Perfect weather conditions 4 beeing on the PC :yay:

Actually it wasn't too bad while I was there, well compared to England anyway, might do a bit of work on my units later, just trying to wake up properly, when I got back last night my mates car broke down and we had to wait ages for it to get fixed :)

Hello everyone,

Just a small update, been making the wound textures for my units, pretty much done them now, just a case of applying them :) Unfortunately there might be a slight delay to my release (talking early Feb here), will be away for a bit in January and haven't been getting very long to sit down and work much recently and dont see that changing.

Just doing the reticule for the ACOG scope, dunno if one is already in game but wont take long to make anyway.

Cheers for the update mukka, look forward to Feb !!

Hi stalker - just thought of something. In the Mercenaries pack the update has units without headgear attached by default, due to popular demand. Would you consider doing this with your units? I am working on a Clan Beret you see. :cool: So if there was just one unit that had no hats (well a soldier and medic) then we would be on easy street implementing that.

If it's a lot of bother I wouldn't worry about it, but it would be useful for me :p

Thanks

Hi stalker - just thought of something. In the Mercenaries pack the update has units without headgear attached by default, due to popular demand. Would you consider doing this with your units? I am working on a Clan Beret you see. :cool: So if there was just one unit that had no hats (well a soldier and medic) then we would be on easy street implementing that.

If it's a lot of bother I wouldn't worry about it, but it would be useful for me :p

Thanks

Seconded on that, I was getting a little bit sick of looking at the ugliness of a balaclava clipping through a beanie hat, but just as stryder said if it's too much trouble I'm sure we will manage haha.

Hope things are going well stalker, as always, keep up the good work! ;)

Thanks

I second that TL - I think the option to have no headgear would be a great alternative if we need or want custom headgear!

Custom headgear is for airsofters and walts, lets leave it at that.

something on headwear i wrote on our forum once;

"although we are a milsim-clan doesn't mean that real life rules are always the same for us as well.

in real life there are some significant differences in what a man weares on his head.

in the barracks and on manouvres most of the time a beret is worn while in combat situations the choice mainly goes to a Mk.6 helmet,and in some occasions the beret or,when the terrain and climate asks or demands it,a boonie.

all of these are leaded by two main facets;

-larger distance to the enemy

-risk on shelling and so on

in airsoft both of these parameters are absent but one should rather take care that he fades into the background and/or envirement he is moving in.

therefore we can order the headgear in order of profit

--ghillie cap;ideal for blending-in

--boonie;breaks ones contoures almost perfectly

--Mk.6 helm;not ideal beacourse of it's shape(unless you are willing to put some twigs onto it)but handy against headshots!

--commando- or forage cap in khaki;almost no breaking of the contoures

--beret;this comes at the last place sice it has(most of the time)colors that you will not find in nature that easy. "

in the part in red i did not mention the no headgear-option but,talking from my real-life army expierience we where wearing something on our head most of the time even in combat(Congo)a beret was the most used headgear,next to the boonie.

We don't want something stupid, we do have our own beret, so it's hardly that trivial is it, its not like we want to wear a pink mohawk on our characters!

You should.

Gays need representation on the internet too.

Stalker, I seem to recall a lot of texture problems when the old Irdf crew tried to bodge some bareheaded units.

I certainly don't see it as my place to tell you what to do or not do, but speaking as part of a failed addon making project (despite the talent and energy of the many contributors) I must put on my hammer horror voice and intone warnings about Mission Creep.

Mind you that was in ArmA1 so maybe it's set up differently this time.

@ Airsoft Recon

The head gear I'm talking about has nothing to do with stalkers units at all - just look it up on the latest desert mercs patch to know what i'm talking about. I'd like to be able to choose - you don't have to use the units yourself or put hats onto units every time, they would be supplementary.

Having units without hats would simply allow the community to put whatever they want on the head - not leave it bare.... (unless i wanted to... i reserve this right, my friend. hehe!)

@prydain

As much as you might hate 'walts' and civvy 'airsoft' pretenders (opinions straight off the ARRSE I see) we are playing a war GAME here... not too different from Airsoft. so keep your pants on kiddo! :p Maybe we are the walts by being here! [insert long hastily written response where you rebutt me with a 'how many inches is my military experience CV' under this post, chappy]

And besides when was it any of your business what people playing a game enjoy putting on their characters heads? maybe you should call the silly police on Mondkalb!? http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5818

....thought not. :j: We are a light realism clan, so go flame up some other people who don't play like you do! We'll leave you to 'Roger' your commanding officer alone.

@UncleImshi

As for you guv, there are no clipping issues for stalker to worry about because he wouldn't be the one making the custom hats! That's for others to worry about, although if you DYOR then you'd see there is no clipping problems with the Merc units discussed in this thread. That's because modelers make hats separately. With your experience i am sure you know this already, so you might have more success with your previously failed project in ArmaII? Best of luck with that.

@ all

Is that cleared up? Got to love the casual gay-references and smoking embers! :p

guys let stalker make what he wants of his mod, then once he gets a 1.0 out then maybe make extra suggestions like that. just let him do his thing first aye...

May I just ask, as your claiming to be a realism group, why you would want a beret? As from my sources they are not used in combat... Unless you have a nice square you march up and down.

And Stalker, am highly anticipating the release. It's sounding immense.

May I just ask, as your claiming to be a realism group, why you would want a beret? As from my sources they are not used in combat... Unless you have a nice square you march up and down.

And Stalker, am highly anticipating the release. It's sounding immense.

We'd just like our own nice little touch, by realism we dont mean we are pretending to be in the military! Anyway this means you can put the term "Crap hat" to good use if we get berets!

We'd just like our own nice little touch, by realism we dont mean we are pretending to be in the military! Anyway this means you can put the term "Crap hat" to good use if we get berets!

Exactly, good reason to want them. :cool:

If you don't want berets then don't have them, but don't attack other members because of it. It's something children do.

Edited by Sky999

stryder88. You are not the voice of sapience on these forums, you have snapped at a few contributors to this topic and then accuse me of inciting some kind of flame war.

To make this post not entirely in defence of a true comment I made: who in the world would want to use generic British forces with a Jedi cloak on? It is exactly the same as putting berets on because it is nonsensical and just not realistic. The fact that it would only be interesting to a small group puts the effort to make room for a beret way out of proportion to the time addon makers alot themselves in their creative process.

Edited by Prydain

It's not exactly as simple as

If you don't want berets then don't have them

Whilst I personally wouldn't be opposed in principle, I don't think it's necessarily right to expect an addon maker to do more work just to support the whims of a proportionally small group of end users. If everyone else wants them, then fine; although it's still Stalkers choice, there is at least a general consensus. What you're seeing here though are a group of people who think it's pointless and thus don't want to see Stalker waste time on it when we're all eager for release.

Personally i'm in two minds. From the point of view of making realistic units, even in training it wouldn't be much use; I've worn a beret on training only when generally mincing around or listening to a lecture. As soon as things are considered 'tactical', it's beret off, Mk6 on. StalkerGB has done a fantastic job so far of getting everything right, and I can understand if people start getting alarmed at the prospect of him being misled.

From the other point of view, the view that says "let people choose", well, I see your point.

In sum, it wouldn't be realistic to have units wearing berets for 90% of tasks that are possible ingame, and I can understand the reservations people hold; but I can also see the appeal of having the option......my suggestion would be to leave 'features' like this to a 1.1 release and get the important things done first. But at the end of the day all this is pretty much hyperbole, Stalker will decide what Stalker does. Just saying, don't misunderstand peoples objections...