Sign in to follow this  
inkle

One of those AWESOME ARMA 2 Moments

1) It was a better than average 7.62 rifle with a longer and better quality barrel that increased the muzzle velocity

2) Along with better than average bullets possibly even M948 Sabotted Light Armour Penetrating (SLAP) rounds

3) Then the first bullet would be dammaging the armor capability of the glass

Yes indeed. It would be interesting to see SLAP rounds modeled in A2, particularly for anti-materiel stuff. Maybe some intrepid modder will mod a Raufoss (sp?) round into the game.

EDIT:

Sounds like from that article that the real Mi-24 had more than adequate armor protection in the cockpit from your average 30 cal ammunition, whether NATO or Russian.

In ArmA 2 only front windshield is bullet proof, but from the sides, sometimes you can kill the gunner and pilot with one shot from pistol :rolleyes:

All ballistics charts and no play makes forum members into dull boys, or so it would seem :p

Edited by GoOB

1st shot took out the glass 2nd shot took out the pilot.

Are you saying that armored glass will provide protection for a limited number of rounds before being compromised in ArmA2? That is a notable feature if true.

I love cause and effect kills. Anything involving physics objects bouncing into someone else. I know this game is nothing like Halo, but having destroyed vehicles cause random havoc was one of the funniest things that could happen.

Thanks for sharing that great vid inkle.

The first shot did not hit the glass so I don't think there was any glass breakage before the kill shot.

Curious though - the first round clearly hit to the left of where you shot at. I'm wondering how that is possible with the chopper moving forward and snipers rifles being so accurate.

I'm a layman at ballistics and sniper rifles so if I'm missing something basic please don't crucify me. =)

Edited by Chomp

Thanks for sharing that great vid inkle.

The first shot did not hit the glass so I don't think there was any glass breakage before the kill shot.

Curious though - the first round clearly hit to the left of where you shot at. I'm wondering how that is possible with the chopper moving forward and snipers rifles being so accurate.

I'm a layman at ballistics and sniper rifles so if I'm missing something basic please don't crucify me. =)

Wind from down draught turbulence maybe?!

Superb shot though.

In ArmA 2 only front windshield is bullet proof, but from the sides, sometimes you can kill the gunner and pilot with one shot from pistol :rolleyes:

USSRsniper got it right, the Mi-24 only has armored front windshields. The bubble canopy is just plexiglass.

USSRsniper got it right, the Mi-24 only has armored front windshields. The bubble canopy is just plexiglass.
Yep, even that article states that the plan to introduce armoured glass to the side windows was a failure.

Damned impressive shot whether it's realistic or not ;)

P

New guy here,

I just want to say that I think its awesome that people are arguing wither or not the shot itself is a possible shot.

Either way the video was a great example of how great the game is going to turn out here in the states.

Yup! And you can be damned sure that if the final agreement states it was not true to life, there will most likely be a mod to match it to reality. Great (including the ferocious, obsessive-compulsive militarists, me included) community we have here.

I thought this was a nice video, (not by me) that shows the tension as enemy AI jog past without detecting you:

[youube]wWMEep73aGQ&fmt=18

It never happened to me in arma 1, but I remember AT LEAST two times in the original operation flashpoint while being sniper/recon on a night mission I had a patrol within 5 feet of me and they walked on by... it was one of those moments I always remember fondly when I think about how amazing the op flash games are compared to the other crap out there.

Edited by Placebo

Remove image and youtube tags when quoting please.

Just thought Id post a new addition to this thread.

Pretty much in the last hour or so I was using Lamansk Island 6 man patrol, and in the middle of a SECOP patrol mission. As I walked through set to formation delta some fire opened up at my six about 100 meter or less. I use voice commands and the latest thing Ive done is stacked together multiple commands, in this case "Danger / Form Line / Open Fire / Stay Crouched" under one command.

So as soon as I heard the bullet I hit the floor and tried to get a look behind (no real clue where the exact fire point was) and the lush foliage was blocking me, as another bullet pinged past I said the 2 worded command for pilflus. Then bang, team lines up ... 2 of my heavy machine gunners now crouched started firing and scooting to spread out in line formation ... one man (using VFAI) threw smoke in the general direction, SLX mod kicked in with "enemy" shouts and "reloading" and "supressing" shouts ... the actual firing followed for another 40 seconds, I told 2 men to flank left and one took someone out. It was that mayhem but total controlled moment.

All this coupled with VOP sound / ambiance ... I just had that pure ambush feel with all breaking loose. All the enemy patrol got clean wiped out and it was onto re-group, stay aware and move to the next checkpoint ... simply marvelous.

In the end all I did was speak 1 command, set a flank move, and simply hit the dirt not knowing where the shots were coming from watching my AI get on with it. 1 man got injured and I spoke "Medic Heal (team number)" and watched him scoot over and fix him up before leaving.

Edited by mrcash2009

I got a kinda Saving Private Ryan moment a few months back. Playing in a free camera mode, setup CDF forces assaulting a Russian held town. Fast forward, there was this medic patching up a wounded man, then suddenly a stray bullet hit the wounded guy head and killed him. Just like at the beach scene where Doc Wade was trying to save a guy. If only I had capture it on video. That kind of moment only comes by in a rarest moment.

I really love this game

I also shot down the Hind with the sniper in that mission. But it was very still and took around four rounds. It wasn't even in my way, I just couldn't resist the parting shot.

One of my amazing moments was in a huge CTI where my tema had to build posts and create outposts.

Our AI SU-25 was flying overhead and suddently was striked by a Stinger missile, it started to slowly go into a spiral flying in big curves above coming down very slow and i was thinking "hopefully it doesnt land directly on our fresh created main HQ building".

Well i guess the outcome is clear, in the end we had a lot dead guys in MG nests and a burning HQ ^^

Las night i was playing one Domination. With two guys, Wozza and another one that i cannot remeber the nick, we were making the alternative missions.

We have to destroy a container who have chemical products that was hidden in an enemy factory in the north of Solnichy. We only have 1 rpg and 2 satchels against 2 t-9o0, one bdrm, one bmp and a few soldiers. First we go to one forrest in a hill near the factory, so we can take a look to the situation. After locating all the enemies we can see i had an idea. We can go by the beach and access to the factory through an small lake, gettign hidden to those tanks. The plan looks ok to the team so we start the mission.

We go back trught the forrest and cross to the beach on the other side. Then me move as planned to the lake, who was (sorry for my english) "connected" to the sea, by the beach. We we arrive to the mouth of the lake we move towards the factory, and start to crawl when we arrive to the first bridge. After we slowly move parallel to the factory we crossed one road by running after we arrive to a concrete wall that hides us form the enemy infantry and tanks.

After that we have to cross the railways, we were discovered by two enemy guys who where protecting the container, and one of us (me :D) where hit. After that i respawn and made the same route to the factory, when i was on the same position i used my grenade launcher to kill the guards and another soldier near the container.

The rest of the mission was really easy, i run towards the container, plant the satchels and go back to the chopper going againg trough the beach. The we detonated the bomb and the mission was succesfully finished.Those tanks didn't ever known how the hell that container exploded :)

Great infiltration mission :)

Edited by txalin