Sign in to follow this  
EricM

Arma 2 difficulty VS Arma 1, OFP and the Rest...

I am going to assume you guys dont know how to adjust the AI? I have it at a perfect balance. A friendly level of about 1.00 to an enemy AI of about 0.45 is much better. But if you set the enemy AI at 0, a bunch of guerillas can waste several squads of Spetznaz before they die. :p:D:bounce3::yay:

But that doesn't affect the tactical skill of the AI? I don't want dumber enemies.

I've been playing Arma 2 for a week now and I must say this game is pretty intense, it's scary.

+1

i'd rate arma2 as the best game i have played (over COD4, arma, GTAIV, etc).

Better a challenge than too easy and the AI has come leaps and bounds (literally actually)

also agree with how motion blur and other effects make it better - no more terminator situational awareness while running, etc. it's real immersive.

have also lowered all ai skill to 0.7 and precision to 0.4 to help my survivability (but not too much :) ). the suppression effects from AI are cool and make open area assaults a real challenge - as they should be. now flanking, going around is more important as is considering how to accomplish an objective rather than just running in full steam.

also the variety in the campaign is top notch (plenty of bugs but BIS has shown that they'll keep working to fix em and honestly I've only had 2 big showstopping bugs - less than in many other games).

edit - for all who want AI not to be such good shots just turn down their aim precision in the difficulty but leave their skill high.

I found that in Air Cav MP mission M107 helps a lot vs infantry. Key is 700m engagement distance. If you make several shots in quick succession, they will zero in on you and open fire with deadly accuracy (even guys without optics). Solution is to get high ground and good distance, pop max 1-2 guys in a row. Move back. Find another spot - engage. They couldn't really do anything - some would go prone, some run about and then get back to their routine.

But yeah, I agree - much tougher than A1 AI. There they would just bunch up like herd of sheep ready for slaughter - 3/4 Mk19 rounds and squad is gone. ACE did a great job to fix that. Graphical complexity of A2 makes it almost impossible to spot inf in the open field, when you don't have height/reach advantage.

Edited by Skeptic

What also makes a lot of difference is what happens when shots start landing around you.

The impact sounds are so scary that you quickly loose focus and just want to "GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE". It's great fun.

Holy cow. I just set two groups of OPFOR AI into a town, just with a randomized waypoint (some placement radius) and a COMBAT behaviour.

Then I approached the Town with my AAV7 and 12 Marines in the back.

We actually had some high ground firing down from a hill, but the AI took out half my guys (even though wounding system in use, so less instant fatalities), and then I caught a headshot.

This are though fights. Even the AAV7 is not much help since the enemy stays out of LOS. Compare that with A1 where you could just roll up to an enemy squad in 700m, and have your APC take them out with the .50cal.

No more - this requires work.

Yoma is right - you feel like you have to get out of their fire, so you order a rush to close the range and get some kills, but then you start sending your men forward, and see them all go to the ground as they walk down that slope.

Very much the classic "oh shit" feeling.

Edited by Helmut_AUT

Isn't hard good? I'd love the experience of being a grunt, you know, there's a squad over there and I've got me ... oh ... I'm going to die. In ArmA/Ofp it was too easy, you felt like you were solely responsible for the victories.

In one mission (ofp) yu had to take out a base, I tried a coordinated assault but that didn't work. Eventually the way I won was to leave all my AI sitting on the hill while I flanked with an SVD. I won, one scary moment when I heard a tank, it was getting closer and closer but I thought it was still a bit away ... then it breaks through the fence on the crest just above me and a few frantic moments later I had a LAW out and ready.

I'd love some truely nerve-racking AI.

arma 2 is so much harder to spot people because the foliage and textures of the environments are way better and people more easily blend in cause of their camo which is good except the AI aren't effected by it and can see you easily. I like how you can finally hide behind bushes now though =]

Sounds like I'm going to love this game. Now this is what we wanted, an opponent that defeats us through tactics and human-like behaviour(as far as possible).

The MP missions I made for a few coop clans were allways fair situations. When you had to attack something, you'd have enough resources to do it, and enough air or indirect fire support to kill the enemy. I don't make missions to present people a challenge, I make missions to make people feel like they're in the thick of it, it has to be immersive.

And it seems like the sf-squad-vs-armoured-infantry-brigade-syndrome is about to end. Huzzah! > :)

And it seems like the sf-squad-vs-armoured-infantry-brigade-syndrome is about to end. Huzzah! > :)

Good riddance to that!

I wouldn't exactly call them human, but they are a lot better then in arma1, firefights tend to last a bit longer and they do a bit more surprising stuff.

Without enemy markers on the map they can be a total "pain in the ass" :-)

I've been playing Arma 2 for a week now and I must say this game is pretty intense, it's scary.

With the dense vegetation, wildlife, buildings, rumbles, hi-def textures etc. there's so much going on and it's now SO HARD to spot enemies that I'm always super nervous, flipping out at each gun fire.

It feels, like the game is at least twice as hard as Arma1 and 10x as OFP on that matter. That's something I already noticed when playing Cold War Rearmed : some of the early missions that were a piece of cake in OFP, where quite harder in Arma 1... I wouldn't believe how it would be in Arma2

It's probably one the most challenging and stressful game I ever played (sometimes, it's even slightly frustrating). As I said, I'm no newby, I knew what to expect, and still I got trashed multiple times in the BASIC MOUT training or First solo mission !

It feels like Arma 1 veteran < Arma 2 Cadet...

What's your experience ? Do you feel it's "too much" ? Good enough ?

As for myself, I'm thinking to buy a Track IR to slightly improve my spatial awareness and survival skills...

No, not at all.Infact ArmA1 is either harder or at the same difficulty as

ArmA2.Because in ArmA1 though nearby enemies are easy to spot, yet it is not all than difficult to do in ArmA2.In ArmA1 I was mostly lying behind cover(behind bushes or buildings) in prone position and was downed by enemies often firing from insane ranges within seconds of being spotted.I never noticed anything like that in ArmA2.Yes, ArmA2 is more realistic, but certaily not more difficult.On the plus side it also does not have insanely hard solo missions like ArmA1.

Teamwork and strategies are necessary in both the games.But often ArmA1 required more than that to overcome those infamously difficult solo missions.

ArmA2 is rather more famous for its bugs and crash problems than because of its difficulty whereas ArmA1 is more famous(rather infamous) for its sheer

difficulty.

However u are right at the point where u claim it to be much more difficult than OFP or other games.Yes, both ArmA1 and ArmA2 are 15,10 times more difficult than OFP and 100 times more difficult than any other game on the market.

Hope this helps.

Bye!

Well if you all played against other HUMANS then all this would be a non

issue.... when its HUMAN vs HUMAN it balances perfectly, no matter the

graphics enhancements or anything else.

Oh please mods lock this before more discussion starts.