Satmaps don't matter for the falklands really... L3DT would do an adequate job of assessing the terrain and assigning reasonably convincing attributes to it (see Duala), but DEM's are a different matter... technically if you can get even a contour map you can make one...

I do quite a bit of GIS stuff... the institution association thing is patchy - it CAN get you better UK ordnance survey maps - of the UK, but not better DEM's, for example...

ASTER data was institution-only (it's often more a case of departmental or project based subscriptions) for a while (30m DEM's), but, as ZeroG reported over on the islands section - it seems to be available again.... coverage is Global - but available data is NOT... just checked the Falklands... obviously that stuff hasn't been processed as yet... So unless you can find a Geog student with appropriate data access (if there is better data to access), that takes you back to SRTM... a bit scary at 1:1 level... specially around coastlines... it can be "tidied" though... might take a while on a 40x40km map tho...

Performance-wise it should be good... the west coast half of my current scotland WIP is a falklands-like wasteland of rough moor and the occasional rock - performance is impressive, even on my rig, so that would be a major plus...

I was under the impression that Cherno was 20x20??? Sahrani is...I made a starter 40x40km basic SE England terrain for the Few mod and it really was enormous!... 4 x Chernarus in a square... 16 x Isla Dualas... I think that would be big enough???

It's an interesting idea for an island, and would keep all the Brits happy for a while :)

PS... you realise of course that if someone decides to make this terrain happen we're gonna need Ambient Penguins...

OK...

Another P.S....

I've been thinking a little more about scales and islands and I was trying to think of a 40x40km island that most people have actually tried, and I couldn't think of one offhand... like Pathy said - it's probably much bigger than most people realise...

So since I had the evening off... I pulled the SRTM data and cropped the Falklands out at 4096x4096...

It's bigger than you think.....

Falklands_Map_Small.jpg

...even at 10k viewdistance...

Falklands_01_small.jpg

Purely a Scale Test... NOT meant for actual play... there's grass/rock/sand textures & clutter, but nothing else...

DEM - 4096x4096 - 10m cell size

Satellite - 4096x4096 - 40m segments - 1px/10m

Map - 40km x 40km

I didn't actually take careful note of how much compression there was to reduce to 40km, but it was roughly 40 miles = 10km, so say around 1:4 - heights slightly less...

Falklands Islands Scale Test 40x40km

(with the cheesy 4096 satellite layer it's only a 23mb download)

I really don't think splitting the islands into 2 x maps, or trying to go any larger than 40x40 is practical... not if we actually want to see the map actually happen this year...

It may all just be clutter and rocks... but you can fake a lot of believability with trees and fences and houses and all those goodies - when it's just grass and rocks they have to be GOOD grass and rocks... the landscape has to carry it on its own...

Even at 40x40 theres problems in Visitor, plus, to go higher you have to start using bigger cell sizes - terrain detail will go down as size increases and, on a map like this - terrain detail is all you have to work with...

Anyway... Hopefully someone will pick up on this idea... I've never really looked at the Falklands before - it's a fairly impressive landscape!

B

Edited by Bushlurker

And the beauty of it would be that if someone created the Falklands maps, we could have both the modern day setting that I mentioned, as well as the 1982 conflict if the community put some '82 units together, im sure the SLR would go down well! :)

So the main thought to come out of both the real island and Bushlurker's island is: "Its bigger than you think..." should be the islands slogan :)

Will take a look at your test a bit later B

why fake :confused: There would be a lot of things to add, like villages, small town key points like goose green, bunkers, trenches, landing strips/poligones etc. .... Of course if you are working on a Falkland War scenario.

Edited by CommanderYuri

Very, very nice. The only trouble is the proportion of land taken up by sea - several chernarus' worth, and the landmass ends up being similar to Ch. My idea was to cut out each island in turn and rotate them so that they best fit into the available space. However, you could probably get away with this with both islands together perhaps. Am going to try it out right now! :D

Edited by Pathy

Is anyone making a map based on a western country? Maybe US? I do not mean WWII based maps but modern. What would not be cooler than invading USA? ^^ Giggity. Or maybe defending US.

This may now sound more like a request than a question. But the map does not have to contain skyscrapes and big buildings. Countryside is also nice but it is the small details that makes the map look western. Like western houses, people?, cars and so on.

Just an idea/question.

Very, very nice. The only trouble is the proportion of land taken up by sea - several chernarus' worth, and the landmass ends up being similar to Ch. My idea was to cut out each island in turn and rotate them so that they best fit into the available space. However, you could probably get away with this with both islands together perhaps. Am going to try it out right now! :D

I was just talking to CBFASI about this... you never know there might be something forth coming. :eek:

KZM ?

KZM is as i remember "cut" , KZM like BDU or ACU means type of uniform (pocket placing, 2 pieces, zipper, hood)

by the way second thing:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_IAd9JBzMbCU/Ss-wSA7dzWI/AAAAAAAAAsE/EeZEvjzadUw/s800/DSC_0035.JPG

comparision Marpat and Russian digital

and i have a question here in this topic

if there are mods interested in European type of forces

i have from P85 - Milan ATGM and HOT model

they are on vehicles, but maybe someone is making european forces army and is interested in making himself tripod ?

also i am making SPIKE atgm for Polish mod, maybe someone wants SPIKE on his vehicle or like that

i heard that Strykers use SPIKE too ( http://www.armaholic.eu/vilas/scr/spike.jpg)

Edited by vilas

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've seen so many detailed and well made maps out there that I though it would be really cool to see a map based off of the flat, open plains in Western US and southwestern canada

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1192/...309314.jpg?v=0

http://www.skiing311.net/media/2008/...tetons_189.jpg

http://blogs.bootsnall.com/Mjcoward/..._car_popey.JPG

http://andrewrocchio.com/Wyoming/IdahoPlains.jpg

40km x 40km East Falkland Island.

www.volcbat.com/flk.rar

It's got a really quick satmap on, so it's not exactly pretty...I've also rotated the island slightly to make best use of the available space. All in all, it's pretty mahoosive, and fufills the aim (to show the idea of 2 40x40km islands representing the Falkland islands is possible)

Well done Pathy!... just d/l'ing for a look now...

By the way - did you see Planck's post back in the Islands section.... he ordered up the Falklands on ASTER... it's processed now (they used to take a month or more.... they must be Fully Funded or something!) - so thanks to good 'ol NASA there's 30m DEMs available now...

I gotta just say though I'm a bit worried about the rotation thing - particularly with "historical", or even just RealWorld terrain... changing which way North is seems like an awful fundamental change to make...

OK - d/l finished.... back soonish...

B

Not exactly what I was looking for but this is a good map, even though it kinda messed up my ARMA 2

How did it mess up your ArmA? :butbut:

gotta just say though I'm a bit worried about the rotation thing

Yeah, although it's not a massive change, and I figure with the alteration of Magnetic North over the years it's probably not of huge importance anyway. I'm personally of a "it's worth it" mentality, but I can understand the objection.

The 30m DEMs, how do they compare to the SRTMs?

KZM ?

KZM is as i remember "cut" , KZM like BDU or ACU means type of uniform (pocket placing, 2 pieces, zipper, hood)

I suggested it because of the complete absence of something completely different from Gorka suits, also widely used. With any KZM model, for example two or three different shapes, i could be able to finish at least three different types of recon units...generic spetsnaz as well, Marine infantry. There are too many units using these types of uniforms to be left aside...

Originally Posted by gotcha1234

You could make 2 versions both the 135mm and 152mm

Also I hope this answers you how it will look in reality:

http://www.salute.co.uk/imagemanager/p000111_2.jpg

http://img84.imageshack.us/i/t95dh2.jpg/

And here is some intel on the Croatian tank:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-95_Degman

http://www.areamilitar.net/directori...Degman_001.jpg

seems like noone will do this...

Since there seems to be ongoing discussion about the Falklands Islands terrain idea, I think it's time to move out of the busy "Addons Requests" thread...

I'm just going to grab most of the discussion so far as quotes and open a thread on the topic here in A&M Discussion...

See all you guys interested in this one there.....

B

My ARMA crashed after running it, but it's not that big of a deal, I'm working on it right now

seems like noone will do this...

Which one of those ? it's like a Sci-Fi mod...

Since there seems to be ongoing discussion about the Falklands Islands terrain idea, I think it's time to move out of the busy "Addons Requests" thread...

I'm just going to grab most of the discussion so far as quotes and open a thread on the topic here in A&M Discussion...

See all you guys interested in this one there.....

B

I note with heavy irony that the subject was forced in here in the first place after initially being a separate topic :D