Sign in to follow this  
Incognito84

Just how buggy is it?

I remember the original Arma being pretty buggy during the first release, so I'm wondering how buggy this version will be. I won't have access to it until the 26th of June (I believe) through Steam, so at that point, how buggy do you think it's going to be?

I translated a German review of the game which basically said it wasn't worth buying because of how buggy it was and scored it a 4/10. Will most of these bugs be cleared up by the time it's released on Steam internationally? Thanks!

I remember the original Arma being pretty buggy during the first release, so I'm wondering how buggy this version will be. I won't have access to it until the 26th of June (I believe) through Steam, so at that point, how buggy do you think it's going to be?

I translated a German review of the game which basically said it wasn't worth buying because of how buggy it was and scored it a 4/10. Will most of these bugs be cleared up by the time it's released on Steam internationally? Thanks!

Yeah i saw that one. It was exaggerated.

It's honestly not as bad as they make it seem. They are like Fox news channel for Gods sake!

edit: it was like actiongames or actiongamers.de or something like that.

I dont have the game yet, but be prepared to see 2 kind of responses that will counter each other

It is as buggy as ArmA, however less critical bugs, more just small things that only a critique would notice.

Well, OFP/ArmA veterans can deal with all those bugs.

New guys should wait 1-3 patches else they would be to much disappointed.

You know, the first impression matters.

It's a bit buggy, but nowhere near as bad as ArmA 1.0 (or even ArmA 1.04) was.

I think it's best to wait just so you at least get a version that comes in English. And it should be a bit updated too.

Meh.. owned it since day one and never stopped having fun with it, never want to shut it down and think I've had more than my $50 several times over.

But I don't focus my energy on ordering AI to drive down roads, so that problem I must miss.. People get so angry when AI do the Austin powers 52 point turn dont they. :)

But I don't focus my energy on ordering AI to drive down roads,

Well, CTI - like missions have a lot of AI driven wheeled vehicles. Supply trucks are essential and mission critical.

Even though I've only spectated play on a friends system; I would say that 'bugginess' as a ratio to actual features and game capability that ArmA II is less buggy then anything that ships from 'Blockbuster Arcade Shoter Developers'. Many of what are being called 'bugs' are actally more akin to issues or annoynaces then actual game breaking bugs...

:butbut:

My review of bugginess: Any Arma1 player will LOVE it. Nobody else's opinion really matters... :)

ArmA2 isn't for ActionGamers, it's a MilSim. Giving ArmA2 a 4/10 in terms of fast action gaming is actually a compliment lol.

I've got mixed feelings about ArmA2. The missions in the campaign seem to take longer to be played through due to the open, dynamic gameplay, eating up my sparetime a lot. To make it worse the editor and the new scripts open up a hole new world of possibilities for mission makers & scripters, so i'm constantly struggling between playing and editing. Argh! :D

[edit] Oh, the bugs. One time i lost control of myself while trying to crouch on a crate and got shot. Another time i saw some garbage objects floating above ground about 30cm. That's all, surely nothing that ruins the game.

Gfx wise it seems ArmA2 has a lot of potential to be optimized.

1. Personally i think the blur/moving effects are a bit overdone to be realistic. I rush 20m to the next house and step over the fence - and my screen is blurred and my aim is shaking? Too many USMC pizzas lately? Would be cool to have a jogging path on the carrier where you can boost your fitness parameters. ;)

2. Bushes in the distance seem to be pixellated on normal detail settings. When i use high settings i get better bushes but the fps go down, esp when zooming in, so aim goes down the drain. I play with pixellated bushes now, but it looks ugly. OpF comes back to mind. ;) (and i switched off the grass completely. You can use shadows on very high that way and the game still looks kinda great.)

Edited by ])rStrangelove
forgot what the topic was

)rStrangelove;1298958']I've got mixed feelings about ArmA2. The missions in the campaign seem to take longer to be played through due to the open' date=' dynamic gameplay, eating up my sparetime a lot. To make it worse the editor and the new scripts open up a hole new world of possibilities for mission makers & scripters, so i'm constantly struggling between playing and editing. Argh! :D[/quote']

Indeed. In terms of "not using up all my free time", I definitely give Arma2 a 2/10 score. Stupid game, being all fun and intense, making me want to play it every day. :D

On the question of how buggy Arma2 is, I don't think there will ever be a consensus in the community. I've been playing for a few hours every day for the past week and I've never had a single crash, nor have I seen an AI "bug out", nor have flickering LODs or textures been too bad. Performance is a bit insufficient in certain situations but mostly it's fine for me.

Other people have not had as much luck.

I only really put up with many bugs on release and other issues in the MMORPG genre (World of Warcraft, Warhammer Online, LOTRO etc). Since those games are very large and 50x as big a project than what Arma2 or any other non MMO game is.

Hope they work out the bugs within a reasonable time.

I'm playing the campaign, I just triggered a cutscene. When it's over immediately I get run over by a friendly BMP.

And MP is a huge lag-glitch-bug fest, if I can connect at all. It just hangs half the time.

That pretty much summarizes my experience.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy the game or I wouldn't be playing it, but there are certainly many bugs, most of them bloody obvious and some quite serious.

Well what to say, ArmA2 leaves you with very mixed feelings.

First few days all seemeed candy and even on high settings the game worked very fluent, the AI did what it was supposed to do, the training is very cool, the sheer amount of different units and weapons is so awesome and even the first campaign missions felt very good.

As i play rather slow ( not so much time lately ) i yesterday came to the mission where you assault the Industrial area near the coast and it suddently felt like this mission was designed to suddently show me all that still doesnt feel right and most scary was that at soem point i was thinking this mission may have worked better in ArmA.

The industrial complex looks extremely detailled with so many objects but the AI, well they tend to get blocked by objects when they trail you.

BMPs drive around but i got no AT weapons and the tanks always arent there when you need them.

If youre unlucky a Tank or AAV will cross your way and possibly walz over one of your teammates.

Target kill a sniper, well yes ok but where is he, the marker is pretty vague and in this detailled complex you hardly find him especially if you come from a bit different angle, in the end they Boo-ed at me because i shot him a second to late, well mission continues anyway.

Teammates just frustrated me as they often showed so much innitiative that i wished the old mindless following from ArmA and OFP back where they at least followed you if you wanted to get somwhere quick.

Once i set them to danger so a nearby BMP that didnt notice us from 50 meters anyway made them so scared that they went behind cover and didnt follow me anymore.

Most of the above can be avoided if you constantly try to counter these flaws with workarounds however what annoyed me most was that this mission brought me a old friend back, Mr. Lodpopper and Ms.Texture blurrer, it became so extreme that i just need to turn around to see huge Silos get untextured far away or house blocks pop up.

Setting to middle settings helped a bit but not much.

In the end a old mate from ArmA was also present again and i suddently had wild graphic errors like wildly flickering spikes in the sky and such.

Used the flush command and it seemed gone but sooner or later it comes back, in the missiosn before that played in the woods and villages that never happend to me even on higher settings.

In ArmA i had that on Sahrani and islands that used Sahrani objects, on Rahmadi and suer islands i never had that, in ArmA2 it seems Chernarus exclusive.

So hmm maybe the card is broken i think but why does every other game work fast on high settings without probs.

Even a longer stress test sessinon in FUR mark on high settings didnt bring any probs with artifacts.

Anyone has a similar problem with ArmA/ArmA2 and ATI cards?

My System:

Win XP SP2

AMD Phenom X4 9850 BE with latest Catalyst

4 GB G-Skill PC-1000 Ram ( XP uses 3,35 )

ATI HD 4870 512MB

Nothing overclocked here.

I dunno what to do this graphic errors and lod popping make me insane and were the total contrast to what i saw before in ArmA2.

Is the cards 512MB to blame?

In some charts i saw that the 1GB variant didnt bring so much difference in frames so i wonder if a change there would really help?

Or is the Pehnom just to weak for the game?

Im clueless and a bit annoyed :/

@ShadowNX : Strange, played this mission twice (once in MP, a second in SP), never encountered the AI issues and bad luck issues you got (BMP was always kindly destroyed in time ;) ), though, yeah, getting that sniper in time is a bitch.

At OP : It's honestly quite buggy. But nothing yet have altered my fun. The worst bugs encountered so far (an AI stuck in some stairs in a ruined castle) has even been my biggest laugh in a game since a long time (playing MP campaign, and it ended up with my teammate shooting me twice by accident, etc.... )

Use the pinned Impressions thread please.