gimpymoo

ARMA2 & OA's Steam Thread: All Steam Q's/discussions go here [covered by Dwarden]

I keep getting an error that steam says to try back later and I can't play the private military company

Did you figure out what point 8 on the guide was meant to be?

It's a meme, a running gag. Just ignore it. :p

The same here! I already opened a support ticket at Steam support. The error I get with te "Try later"-message is "Failed to load file 'DLCsetup\PMC\PMC_Data\addons\air_pmc.pbo' - dectyption of headers failed." Regards, Kai

Dwarden and the Steam guy need to sit down and have lunch together... then figure out why ArmA2 is reliably broken every time something new is made for ArmA2.

Seriously...

Ive owned and played dozens of games over Steam over the years since 2003... and ArmA is the only one with such predictable failure. From 8 gigabyte patches... to failed installations.

I'm not saying ArmA shoudl abandon Steam... I love ArmA on Steam... just someone please get their shit together... who ever I don't care.

Agreed. I've not encountered this kind of ineptitude before with any other titles bought via Steam. Albeit I'm sure it will be fixed in the next day or so (preferably sooner), it really demonstrates a lack of competent organisation at BIS end when it comes to ensuring games are delivered 100% smoothly at launch. Frankly whomever fucked up should be straight up fired, that way they might be able to get someone competent (and values their customers) in who knows how to launch a title. Deeply unimpressed.

Edited by Kadayi

I got Arma 2 OA off of steam and the first DLC, but when i try to install it it just goes into an infinite loop asking for my admin password. this is when trying to run it for the first time. never works, content is never installed...d

this is really frustrating me...

Anyone here using Disc Arma 2 + Steam OA + Spirited Machines Launcher and noticed it won't launch either Arrowhead standalone, or Combined Ops anymore?

Kinda wierd.... I updated via Steam OK yesterday - switched Steam off and was still able to launch OK... "Brilliant", I thought... all I've done since is reboot the machine.....

Anyone else had similar problems?

B

*EDIT* - Fixed this one.... for some unknown reason, after the patch my OA registry key had no path to main folder anymore... added one and back to normal... weird!

Edited by Bushlurker

Mine works now. Delete the PMC DLC, then redownload it through steam.

When I started up PMC through steam, no error this time BUT, there was TWO PMC mods in the 'expansions' menu.

One of them you can disable one you cant. Disable the one you can and it works fine.

"failed to load file DLCsetup\pmc\pmc-data\addons\air_pmc.pbo decryption of headers failed"

and after that massage, when I try to start ARMA2OA, it fucks.

not just ARMA2, my computer totally stops. cursor, system, just stops, sometimes it makes bluescreen and reboots

what the hell is included in this Steam's PMC?

oh, I blown up whole things about PMC and worked

Edited by m1a1carbine

They don't know what they're doing!! Today i tried once more and it pass through setup, but...no PMC at all. It just don't go any further, no PMC. But at least it runs setup, i have to agree they're trying, in many ways, mostly random ways. I hope they get it working next try...omg!!!!

Just be patient and keep trying. I was only able to get it to install about an hour ago myself... it just takes patience.

okay, lets bash this out

firstly, I understand you've probably answered these questions before so I'm totally ready to accept copy/paste answers but my situation is thus

I bought ARMA2 on steam, all was good and well, then OA came out and having the cash on me and having seen it in-store I bought it retail, now firstly can I somehow have combined operations on my steam games list (and does that count towards having OA on steam) and secondly can I buy BAF and PMC through steam and have them work with my retail copy/Combined operations

my issues are concerning "Requires the base game ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead on Steam in order to play." on the DLC pages on the steam store, if the answer is "no" to everything, does that lead me to shift to sprocket or another digital distributor

and finally what is goddamn special about the steam versions that they can be broken with a standard patch, or the steam versions of the DLCs that crave OA steam so much they refuse to work without it?

also as to why I didn't read the entire thread, none of the information I need was found within the first post (that's where I look first) nor did I notice anything important as I skim read the next few pages, I decided that considering the posts were chronological I would try and find the section that delt with OA coming out and having not found it among the 1800 posts (20 per page/ 90 pages) I would simply ask the question thereby decreasing the total time wasted from hours to mere minutes although admittedly sharing the load with someone else.

Edited by nannal

I deleted the local content and redownloaded. This created two instances of PMC of which one can be disabled through the ingame expansion selector.

Now it works.

my PMC is working now (without me having done anything)... which means steam must have sorted something out.

I do get the occasional script error regarding fn_initIdentity.sqf file.

Workaround is described in this sticky

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1625900

please click the ok on the error popup (OK) to continue

in-game inside main menu goto expansion menu

untick the checkbox for the 2nd PMC listed

restart game

now it should be fine

... working on solution to get rid of this problem completely

sorry for any inconvenience

---------- Post added at 05:53 ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 ----------

I bought ARMA2 on steam, all was good and well, then OA came out and having the cash on me and having seen it in-store I bought it retail, now firstly can I somehow have combined operations on my steam games list (and does that count towards having OA on steam) and secondly can I buy BAF and PMC through steam and have them work with my retail copy/Combined operations

my issues are concerning "Requires the base game ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead on Steam in order to play." on the DLC pages on the steam store, if the answer is "no" to everything, does that lead me to shift to sprocket or another digital distributor

yes you need use DLC from sprocket, STEAM for DLC needs You to own base product on STEAM, it's way how theirs system works

my PMC is working now (without me having done anything)... which means steam must have sorted something out.

I do get the occasional script error regarding fn_initIdentity.sqf file.

update please @cba mod with hotfix for this thanks

Arma II CO: PMC stopped steam from luanching CO.

When i luanch OA i get the option to luanch CO. In the past before the bloody

PMC failure i could use CO. Now it luanches OA without loading A2. Can anyone

post a example startup line for steam so i luanches CO not OA?

Looks like they removed the Steam protection from OA! I can start the game without Steam - and more importantly, with my massive -mod line.

Looks like they removed the Steam protection from OA! I can start the game without Steam - and more importantly, with my massive -mod line.

:eek:

For real?

Bet this'll get 'fixed' too. Lets not make too big a thing of it ;)

I still havnt downloaded the whole lot yet, hopefully it'll be working by the time i get home, hopefully it'll snow enough for them to close work! :p

PMC works now - no more "please try again later". Although I did have to start the game twice.

Cool that it doesn't seem to launch through Steam anymore, but I'm curious how to get the in game Steam overlay working when I launch the game from a mod launcher. :confused: