gimpymoo

ARMA2 & OA's Steam Thread: All Steam Q's/discussions go here [covered by Dwarden]

If I buy the steam game I just download it and play it? How does it all work, like with mods etc. Can I still get them from ArmAholic? Sorry, call me a noob but I'm brand new to this whole steam business. Also, what happens if I lose my files? Can I redownload it without having to pay again?

Thanks, Andrew.

Edited by Some_old_guy
Forgot to put my name.

If I buy the steam game I just download it and play it? How does it all work, like with mods etc. Can I still get them from ArmAholic? Sorry, call me a noob but I'm brand new to this whole steam business. Also, what happens if I lose my files? Can I redownload it without having to pay again?

Thanks, Andrew.

STEAM version of ARMA 2 works fine with mods just the game is installed elsewhere and run thru STEAM client

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=906276

you can download how many times you wish, the game is tied to Your account, no activation etc limits

Will I be able to use my CD-Key to register my copy on steam, or can I at least use a retail copy if I get my hands on one?

Will I be able to use my CD-Key to register my copy on steam, or can I at least use a retail copy if I get my hands on one?

With the steam version out, someone should have an answer to this due to simply trying... Anyone? (I bought the steam version so can't check)

there is no need to worry about the command line (it's covered by FAQ again :)

when nothing set in launch parameters in the STEAM game profile

shortcut 1:

Drive:\Path\Steam.exe -applaunch IDnumber -nosplash -maxmem=2047

shortcut 2

Drive:\Path\Steam.exe -applaunch IDnumber -nosplash -windowed -maxmem=2047

shortcut 3

Drive:\Path\Steam.exe -applaunch IDnumber -nosplash -windowed -maxmem=2047 -mod=@test

one starts game fullscreen second windowed third got passed mod paramater correctly ...

works as intended :) any other concerns ?

Edit:Tried the other description here

"

about STEAM GAMES LIST multiple shortcuts ...

add NON steam game, leading to STEAM.exe

and then change it's properties (rename it)

and change the commandline to

DRIVE:\PATH\Steam.exe -applaunch 33920 -window -maxmem=2047"

Still not working.

Am I doing it wrong?

And will this be patched in 1.03?

Edited by Bigtnaples

I believe you're supposed to replace IDnumber with the application number given to the game. Correct me if i'm wrong on this, I'm just guessing. Currently 54% done with the download on steam right now, so it's gonna be another 4 hours till I can provide any answers.

Note that if your PATH has spaces in it, the whole DRIVE:\PATH\Steam.exe needs to be "DRIVE:\PATH\Steam.exe", so that windows knows that the space is actually a part of the PATH rather than a separator between the command and the parameters. Sometimes it's not necessary but in some cases (like what seems to be your case) it just doesn't work if you don't put the DRIVE:\PATH\Steam.exe in quotes.

there are different IDs for NA and rest of world maybe even EU ...

also "drive:\path\steam.exe" -anyparamaters here w/o "

unfortunately I downloaded the steam version of Arma2, and I've found that there are major problems with modding the damn thing. Most importantly, above all else, is the limit of one shortcut. I have 11 ofp/arma1 shortcuts on my desktop, but if I want to play Arma2 without mods I have to manually change the launch options in steam. The launch options screen has the label "for advanced users only". just die steam. Another huge crushing blow is that o2 wont work correctly with the steam version (buldozer), because it can't load Arma2.exe without steam interrupting and breaking the connection. Add to this the fact that steam asks me 2 damn questions before I can load it up for the first time after boot up and the added delay of "connecting to account" and "starting arma2", I would say that the steam version is not suitable for modders or even people who play with addons. Sorry to bring this up in the general section, but I think that anyone serious about Arma 2 should know to avoid it.

And here folks, is just another reason why steam is bad :(

I have the Steam version.

You can load mods fine. You can create as many shortcuts as you want. (I have 3 atm).

When loading from my current shortcuts, I do not get any steam popups or questions, just starts the game straight away.

As for o2 not working, I don;t use it so couldn't comment.

And here folks, is just another reason why steam is bad :(

Steam is fine, it cost me $30 less than the retail price I would have paid in the shops (due to good exchange rate), and its functionality is EXACTLY the same. I'm not sure what drugs the OP is using, I do not have his issues.

Edited by frogg

Steam is not ideal for modable games but it should be perfectly workable. I learned this with Empire: Total War. There was a reason I chose the D2D version, minimal fuss.

Typing shit like "inb4..." ought to be an instant ban :rolleyes: Stupid spam.

Anyway that sucks if true :(

You sure just creating multiple desktop shortcuts doesn't work? Steam allows you to create shortcuts for the games, the command lines should still work there.

So O2 doesn't work at all with it? Or is it just slow to open?

ok I got the shortcuts working now, but o2 still doesn't work. oh well

@Maddmatt You click on the viewer button, it says "no viewer found" but it does open buldozer. You have to select "attach" from the viewer menu and the model will load up, but currently it can't load any textures.

Edited by Sakura_Chan

*Edited cause shortcuts work*

I've not bothered with the shortcuts, but this seems to work just fine.

I'm only running the Landtex and SAP clutter addons at the moment but they seem to be working just fine. So yeah, don't know about the shortcut method and its validity with Steam, but the arma2 launcher by dracflamloc works like a charm.

I can't comment on the o2 issue though, I really hope that works cause otherwise a lot of people are going to be bummed, and the last thing we need is another obstacle between arma modders and the production of the mods which will make arma2 reach its full potential.

unfortunately I downloaded the steam version of Arma2, and I've found that there are major problems with modding the damn thing. Most importantly, above all else, is the limit of one shortcut. I have 11 ofp/arma1 shortcuts on my desktop, but if I want to play Arma2 without mods I have to manually change the launch options in steam. The launch options screen has the label "for advanced users only". just die steam. Another huge crushing blow is that o2 wont work correctly with the steam version (buldozer), because it can't load Arma2.exe without steam interrupting and breaking the connection. Add to this the fact that steam asks me 2 damn questions before I can load it up for the first time after boot up and the added delay of "connecting to account" and "starting arma2", I would say that the steam version is not suitable for modders or even people who play with addons. Sorry to bring this up in the general section, but I think that anyone serious about Arma 2 should know to avoid it.

Sakura but you can have multiple shortcuts (i wonder why i'm repeating myself each day)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1326311&postcount=266

be aware this works ONLY if you DO NOT SET any values into ARMA 2 properties > set launch options

and this works for me flawlesly instantly on my STEAM version:

Drive:\somepath\Steam\Steam.exe -applaunch 33910 -nosplash -maxmem=2047 -nopause -window -buldozer

be aware there are various applaunch IDs (at least 2) for ARMA 2 depending on region (33910 and 33900)

Edited by Dwarden

Make sure you are running Steam as an administrator on Vista. Also, I'm not sure if the Steam version of the game allows this or not, but a lot of Steam games do NOT require Steam to be running in order to play. Far Cry 2, for example, doesn't need Steam running in order to be played.

i see the problem with Oxygen 2 , started ARMA 2 process is auto terminated and then restarted by STEAM ...

or there is some path issue ...

will see what i can do to fix this

Edited by Dwarden

hey, I bought the retail version in a shop in town. I did not know that the game was also available on steam. Hate having the cd in the drive and keeping track of 123172890 updates for all my games. Steam does all those things for me.

Can I convert my game to a steam version using my cd-key?

i see the problem with Oxygen 2 , started ARMA 2 process is auto terminated and then restarted by STEAM ...

or there is some path issue ...

will see what i can do to fix this

I get the same thing with the command line you gave me, it just constantly opens up the viewer search box until it times out.