Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment Mod 2

Who here can run 2 miles without being severly winded? Who here wieghs over 150 pounds? Well lets add 80 pounds to you, and send you off running at a decent pace...say 6:30 miles? I give most people here not even 500 meters before their legs give out, and they fall on their face. Hell, I'm even going to go out on a limb and say 80% of you can't walk at a decent pace for even a few miles with that much crap on, without falling out. Do you know what kind of energy it takes to maintain control, and grip on a 27lb weapon system while you are RUNNING? You can't pump your arms, and you should be trying to maintain positive muzzle control. I get winded just thinking about it. Alot of things aren't even being accounted for by most of you. What about boots? It takes alot of energy to run in boots. Altitude is also a factor, if you're body isn't used to running at a certain altitude, you get tired faster due to thin air.

I thought they were going for fun realism...?

Realism IS fun.

:ok:

Can't agree more, especially when its played in realists set-up missions with people willing to play in strong teamwork.

Edited by mr.g-c

Before the stamina wars take off again....

I did say we retuned the system. Retuning implies calibration against some standard. Such as data gleaned from the document, "Navy SEAL Fitness Guide", published by the Uniformed Services University's Department of Military & Emergency Medicine. Using actual research data should put to rest any doubts about ACE's choice of values.

One fact from that document. The maximum recommended pack load for a SEAL is 40% of body weight. That's around 31kg for most warfighters. Also note that a pack mule will sit down if loaded with more that 25% body weight - hence the nickname given to Roman Legion soldiers, "Caesar's Mules".

Edited by Evil_Echo

Ah one sugestion ^^

Can you guys remove Via Script the "Space Feature"?

That's anoying to play TvT or even Coop with people using space to find hiding enemys and players. Its a type of cheat on my opnion :X

Since the Mod focus on more realism this would be nice to have this feature removed from the game; or a server side option to enable or desable it without the need of extra scripting.

Pufu must know what i am saying ^^.

Have seen this on CF Tournament and loved.

Who here can run 2 miles without being severly winded? Who here wieghs over 150 pounds? Well lets add 80 pounds to you, and send you off running at a decent pace...say 6:30 miles? I give most people here not even 500 meters before their legs give out, and they fall on their face. Hell, I'm even going to go out on a limb and say 80% of you can't walk at a decent pace for even a few miles with that much crap on, without falling out. Do you know what kind of energy it takes to maintain control, and grip on a 27lb weapon system while you are RUNNING? You can't pump your arms, and you should be trying to maintain positive muzzle control. I get winded just thinking about it. Alot of things aren't even being accounted for by most of you. What about boots? It takes alot of energy to run in boots. Altitude is also a factor, if you're body isn't used to running at a certain altitude, you get tired faster due to thin air.

Its not modelling PC gamers to Arma its modelling a real soldiers performance to Arma. IMO when you start a mission in Arma its assumed that your character is fresh on the battlefield unless you're continuing a campaign. Its also assumed that regardless of class your character is 20-27 years old and fighting fit. You have to base the performance off someone who is in the mid to upper level of fitness. If the character is infantry then he should be able to walk long distances with a heavy load because thats what they do.

---------- Post added at 06:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 AM ----------

Before the stamina wars take off again....

I did say we retuned the system. Retuning implies calibration against some standard. Such as data gleaned from the document, "Navy SEAL Fitness Guide", published by the Uniformed Services University's Department of Military & Emergency Medicine. Using actual research data should put to rest any doubts about ACE's choice of values.

One fact from that document. The maximum recommended pack load for a SEAL is 40% of body weight. That's around 31kg for most warfighters. Also note that a pack mule will sit down if loaded with more that 25% body weight - hence the nickname given to Roman Legion soldiers, "Caesar's Mules".

Could that mean then perhaps it might be better to model different SF types since SAS/SBS carry alot more than that in most books I've read. Are you guys modelling body armour as well because I think that will have an effect on the stamina and damage modelling.

Enough about body armor, SUBS17. Once is a suggestion, twice is a reminder, thrice is harrassment, more than that reason to ignore you forever.

Soldiers in ArmA/ArmA2 carry a fixed amount of armor, as well as boots, helmet, etc. You cannot change that unless you make models of barely clothed

soldiers ( see previous posting that included photo of soldier in pink boxers with hearts ) and then dress them yourself with attached items ala Barbie dolls. That's a huge amount of work by the devs, unlikely to be very popular given the time it already takes just to get a proper weapons load-out now, and very likely to push the rendering engine off the cliff with glitchy rendering of gear trying to keep up with the moving soldier.

Edited by Evil_Echo

Yeah stamina wars are on again...

No they are not.

Once is a suggestion, twice is a reminder, thrice is harrassment, more than that reason to ignore you forever.

No one has completed the video challenge. The subject of stamina is now closed until ACE is officially released.

I just wanted to say to the ACE2 DevTeam, "Hang in there."

I appreciate all that you are doing behind closed doors. I look forward to playing ACE 2 when it is released regardless of if that is in a day or in a year. I know that there are no other games like ArmA2 on the horizon for a long time so I will be able to play the ACE2 version for many years to come.

I encourage you to ignore the petty comments, focus on development and let the pieces fall where they may.

Thanks for your dedication, tenacity and tolerance.

Semper Fi,

Phaeden

Could that mean then perhaps it might be better to model different SF types since SAS/SBS carry alot more than that in most books I've read. Are you guys modelling body armour as well because I think that will have an effect on the stamina and damage modelling.

The thing is that yes, you can carry heavy loads in RL, and you can carry heavy loads in ACE. As long as you walk. People that are blacked out in ACE where running and sprinting with 30-50 kg of equipment. You could load up your avatar alot in ACE and move, as long as you walked. And if you re-read your books you will probably realise that the soldiers, however elite, are walking. When they are running they do not carry all that shit they started walking with. And about Chris Ryan you replied about earlier in this thread, he walked all that distance. Try walking that distance in ACE and you will see its possible.

What he says ^^

Thats exactlly how it is. In ACE1 you could walk your ass off with heavy loads without getting tired at all. You could run as far as you wanted - with the correct load on your back. Not too much, but enough to keep you fighting the rest of a mid to long mission. Sprinting made you pass out at different times depending how much stuff you carried.

Doesnt that sound proper and real? Yes it does somehow. So why the flying fuck are we back to this discussion again?

Daumn.

To be honest, the fatigued system was perfect before, because if you didnt like it, you could turn it off, simple as :P

Good work so far ACE team, keep it up :D You made ArmA 1 enjoyable for me

Why the hell is everybody complaining about the Stamins System? Let ACE2 be released firstand then test it. Only after that you can say if you like it or not

evil echo, did you make the b61 nuclear bomb system? if so could you please give me a download link for it. I am in need of a GOOD LOOKING nuke for a mission i am working on. This would be appretiated

evil echo, did you make the b61 nuclear bomb system? if so could you please give me a download link for it. I am in need of a GOOD LOOKING nuke for a mission i am working on. This would be appretiated

Do you want some cookeys too? A cup of tea perhaps? :rolleyes:

Edited by Uglyboy
typo

I just wanted to say to the ACE2 DevTeam, "Hang in there."

I appreciate all that you are doing behind closed doors. I look forward to playing ACE 2 when it is released regardless of if that is in a day or in a year. I know that there are no other games like ArmA2 on the horizon for a long time so I will be able to play the ACE2 version for many years to come.

I encourage you to ignore the petty comments, focus on development and let the pieces fall where they may.

Thanks for your dedication, tenacity and tolerance.

Semper Fi,

Phaeden

Hey bud, where've you been? Pop on skype one of these days for a chat :)

Yes, I made the B61 bomb system.

The B61 is part of ACE2 and will not be available separately.

quite excited about this. keep up the great work.

will it come with an afghan type village for desert sernarios?

The thing is that yes, you can carry heavy loads in RL, and you can carry heavy loads in ACE. As long as you walk. People that are blacked out in ACE where running and sprinting with 30-50 kg of equipment. You could load up your avatar alot in ACE and move, as long as you walked. And if you re-read your books you will probably realise that the soldiers, however elite, are walking. When they are running they do not carry all that shit they started walking with. And about Chris Ryan you replied about earlier in this thread, he walked all that distance. Try walking that distance in ACE and you will see its possible.

That sums it up nicely

Actually they ran in the initial contact with their packs following that they ran quite a distance after evading the Iraqis I can't remember the exact distance but it was over 15km with webbing and rifle. The balance to this is the running speed which is either full on or walking and ideally you want to have a speed in between because with a heavy load he can run 2kms. ;)

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

Why the hell is everybody complaining about the Stamins System? Let ACE2 be released firstand then test it. Only after that you can say if you like it or not

Nobodys complaining we are just merely discussing it.

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

Enough about body armor, SUBS17. Once is a suggestion, twice is a reminder, thrice is harrassment, more than that reason to ignore you forever.

Soldiers in ArmA/ArmA2 carry a fixed amount of armor, as well as boots, helmet, etc. You cannot change that unless you make models of barely clothed

soldiers ( see previous posting that included photo of soldier in pink boxers with hearts ) and then dress them yourself with attached items ala Barbie dolls. That's a huge amount of work by the devs, unlikely to be very popular given the time it already takes just to get a proper weapons load-out now, and very likely to push the rendering engine off the cliff with glitchy rendering of gear trying to keep up with the moving soldier.

The reason why I asked about the body armour was to see what the weight was you guys were using for your calculations for the stamina and also damage modelling. Another question will the M240 and other MGs have a spare barrel?

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

Yes, I made the B61 bomb system.

The B61 is part of ACE2 and will not be available separately.

Nice are you guys modelling Flash and EMP effects for the nukes. I'm all for nukes in MP.:D

Love the idea of this mod, but i think ive read somewhere that it doesnt work on the steam version, is that correct, excuse me if this has already been asked, have been looking for an answer everywhere, thanks, ive got the steam download Arma2 patched to 1.4 and would love this, just worrried about compatibility, thanks again.