Sign in to follow this  
POTS

Desert/Urban style map in ArmA2

I was wondering if its possible for somebody to put in a desert map like avgani iraq into arma2 to see the difference graphicaly. I was just interested because of the parallax mapping and other new features.

First we need the tools to create parallax mapping for addons and for creating island for arma2.

I'm also excited to do such but i can't do it yet because i don't have yet ArmA2

Also, with the performance optimisations, hopefully the large cities won't give as much of a performance drop as they did in ArmA. Can't wait until Opteryx's Avgani etc. are out.

First we need the tools to create parallax mapping for addons and for creating island for arma2.

you can create them quite easily with xnormal

http://www.xnormal.net/

there are special tools to create 'em special maps with like xnormal :)

Hmmm Could we possibly see a 91' Gulf War? That would be a neat mod. Lot of variety could be done in that mod.

I think a desert enviroment will look great in Arma. I miss the good ol' desert when I'm flying over the thick forests and fields... plus it's easier to see whats shooting at me when on a sandy plain!

Hi all,

I'm trying to get avgani vilage into arma but no result up to now.

Later

Alphons

Hmmm Could we possibly see a 91' Gulf War? That would be a neat mod. Lot of variety could be done in that mod.

well i hope so..

I'm working on something similar. But I'm afraid it can not reach people expectations :p

edit: kuwait border says anything to you?

Edited by bravo 6
typo

I'm trying to get avgani vilage into arma but no result up to now.

avgani and afghan village easy tutorial to get them into arma 2 : http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73731&page=2

just put the listed pbos and all avgani and afghan village content into a modfolder and u r ready to go:bounce3:

i did already some missions on them and they work just great, HUUUUUGE performance boost compared to arma1.:yay:

avgani and afghan village easy tutorial to get them into arma 2 : http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73731&page=2

just put the listed pbos and all avgani and afghan village content into a modfolder and u r ready to go:bounce3:

i did already some missions on them and they work just great, HUUUUUGE performance boost compared to arma1.:yay:

Any noticeable graphics differences?

I'm bit cautious as the topic says clearly "any desert map in ArmA 2" but user in first post does ask pretty much just how certain terrains look in ArmA 2 compared to ArmA.

However, if anyone wants to experience real large desert terrain with large cities, check out the PMC ArmA 2 WRP Demo, more details can be found on the linked topic and online manual.

Any noticeable graphics differences?

yes of course, THEY LOOK AWSOME:D

i never could get more than 10 fps in avgani center with medium and low settings and 700 max viewdistance, now i can play with 40+ fps and everything on highest and 5000 viewdistance:yay:

of course there are some small graphic bugs and missing buildings but overall both maps look and feel awsome.

even with lots of ai it plays really good, the only thing wich kills performance is the aternative first aid module, when a soldier is hit and u look in his direction my fps goes down to 5, so i recomend to not use this module.

i hope narrins revive script will be possible to use in arma 2, i will try this today and report.

the performance in avgani is waaaaaay better than in any small village in arma2 chernarussia :D

even ramadi and porto works great now , i couldnt start sahrani though but southsarani worked too, with some missing buildings in paraiso.

all in all i believe the islands from arma1 can make it with little work into arma2 soon.

Got any screens horror1? I'm intrigued to see how they look in ArmA 2.

If anyone has seen the movie Jarhead, then I would like to see a map like that. Just a US Marines base with a big dirt pile around it giving them cover, a while away, a highway with burnt cars going horizontally across the map. Then after you went passed the highway, a oil field caught on fire. So it's like blowing fire up in the air. And this is all happening in the desert. And it has to be REALLY bright because it is 114 degrees. Hope someone can accomplish this, Jarhead is on right now and I got the idea. Hoorah. :yay:

If anyone has seen the movie Jarhead, then I would like to see a map like that. Just a US Marines base with a big dirt pile around it giving them cover, a while away, a highway with burnt cars going horizontally across the map. Then after you went passed the highway, a oil field caught on fire. So it's like blowing fire up in the air. And this is all happening in the desert. And it has to be REALLY bright because it is 114 degrees. Hope someone can accomplish this, Jarhead is on right now and I got the idea. Hoorah. :yay:

Does the name Safwan tells you anything? :rolleyes:

To be fair one of the reasons i like ArmA 2 is because its NOT set in the middle east for a change!!!

But i would still play a desert map if it became available :p

I think a gulf war map would be great, especially the area around the Kuwaiti border, i would imagine statics for burms and various trenches would make for some interesting gameplay dynamics, you could even use them to recreate the iran-iraq war (huge trench battles with modern equipment). Fans of the A-10 such as myself would just have a ball ripping through T-72s in the middle of a huge desert environment with miles of visibility. oil derricks could be used as control points to generate income in warfare. and the 'endless' terrain would be almost seamless because of the flat, empty nature of desert terrain.

I can't wait for a desert ... everything.

I know it's cliche but I couldn't care less, I love the desert. To me it's the most "authentic" theatre of war, Europe just doesn't seem to work for me I'm afraid, neither does Africa or anywhere else. I think it's easiest to get authenticity to work in a desert environment.

I know it's cliche but I couldn't care less, I love the desert. To me it's the most "authentic" theatre of war, Europe just doesn't seem to work for me I'm afraid, neither does Africa or anywhere else. I think it's easiest to get authenticity to work in a desert environment.

How can you say that desert is more "authentic" than other regions? The are wars going on all around the world, in all types of environments desert, jungle, savanna or temperate climate regions. There are many more armed conflicts in savanna and jungle types of terrain but they don't get so much media attention.

I agree that the community needs desert maps for those with older systems but says that the desert is the most "authentic" war zone is dumm.

as a former yugoslavia vet i was in the beginning a little shoked by the current teatre of arma 2 the layout of the land looks a lot like yugosalvia, its one etnich group against the other, the photo showing the rebel commander in one of the missions resembles pictures taken in yugoslavia of real rebel forces and BIS even put in the rape tortue and mass graves events, so i think its authentic enough :cool:

Well in this youtube IED attack video Avgina in Arma2 looks nearly real at times.

(the audio is real taken from footage but the rest is Avgani in Arma2)