Sign in to follow this  
norrin

MP fast rope script addon

I'm loving this addon Norrin, great job! I have two questions/suggestions. First, do you think you could make the rope look more like this one?

FAST ROPE

Second, is there a way to make the rope sway so it's not like a solid pole?

Thanks,

Monty

Hi monty,

DeanosBeano fantastic rope system, which we are in the process of combining with my scripts, allows for animated ropes that are deployed gradually (so you can see them drop) and look a lot more flexible. We are also incorporating two ropes per chopper, once that's working working we'll post the revised addon and then begin adding new features.

norrin

Thanks for the info. That sounds great! We are very fortunate to have talented people like you guys in the community.

Yeah thats very doable but its up to the chopper addon makers to do if they want to. Probably best to wait until the newer version of the fastrope addon is available though.

Newer version sound nice cant wait till the US release, when it is could you think of makeing the script into the BIS choppers then? Just would love to have this in the choppers of BIS and as you said maybe the addon makers of the choppers could put this script in.

I don't understand why BIS ripped out the rope system of the attachTo command which is included in VBS2's attachTo. That would make all that thinks easier :confused: The pro vs. entertaining-market argument cant be the reason because realistic ropes was a wish since A1.

Because a flexible rope requires PhysX? I'm not sure, but body simulation (rigid, flexible, multi, cloth etc) is usually extremely hard to do.

Because a flexible rope requires PhysX? I'm not sure, but body simulation (rigid, flexible, multi, cloth etc) is usually extremely hard to do.

Well as you can see it has been done look at what addon topic your in lol.

Norrin has done a great job, thats for sure. But i'm talking about real ropes and not static "rods?". I think in VBS2 they use small rope-parts connect together to a long bone similar to a backbone. With static ropes cargo and the vehicle looks glued together. Also, with physically simulated ropes we might be able to tow objects.

@Phunk - Yeah I'm not sure whether the VBS2 attachTo rope system would be appropriate for fast roping. I've actually tried to do this in VBS2 and had a hard time attaching the unit to the VBS2 rope so I used a static rope system in VBS2 as it was much easier. On the other hand for units rappeling out of a chopper it may work. But don't worry DeanosBeano has created an animated fastrope that looks infinitely better than the current static rope. With this new system we should be able to do most of things you're suggesting - towing units, lifting stretchers etc.

@Carl - Just to clarify I think the VBS2 attachTo rope system was introduced in a build of VBS2 that pre-dated the introduction of PhysX in the sim.

Edited by norrin

Rgr that.

@1in1class:

Spot the difference in the engine:

Arma2: Object attachTo [TObject, Offset, MemPoint]

VBS2:: obj1 attachTo [obj2,offset,mempoint,rope,bone]

If these additional options require PhysX, we're better left without them. The current attachTo might have some limitations, but it beats the crap out of the old setPos we were forced to use :)

Towing with a rigid bone should be possible now as well, with some clever math skills, even if the bone parameter is not used. We might end up with update problems in multiplayer like we had for setPos, but at least it will be possible and not the object lagging behind.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

Alll ok got ya. I understand ya but in OFP this was used and looked vary good, this video showing the fast rope looks good also so why not just put this one in? Whats so bad about it? From what iv seen about the engine there that you have posted your talking about doing it as in self not as static. This looks good if ya looked at the old OFP there fast rope looked good too, OFrP had an nice one too i guess they were static also but were diffrent in ways.

I'm using a slightly newer version of the addon but I'm not seeing that problem with 2 players on a dedicated server. Have you named the units that you wish to fast rope and the pilot in the editor? If you have can you please give me a few more details on what led to this problem - the more the better so I can try and reproduce it myself and find the cause.

can anyone help me, I last made a mission for OPF, which was easy just use BAS addon's :)

Shame they don't work in ARMA2 :'(

I tried the instructions in this thread to make a mission with me as the pilot flying an AI Squad into a hot zone and drop them using the fastrope, I have the AI Squad in the chopper, and fly it to the location, I hover (tried between 10 and 40 on the altitude) and 0 in the speed, and no option appears to allow the fast rope.

Any thoughts? I am sure I have missed something obvious.

If you like, send me your mission to my email address here and I'll take look at it.

norrin

thanks sent it over, sure it is something stupid I have missed.

Rgr that.

@1in1class:

Spot the difference in the engine:

Arma2: Object attachTo [TObject, Offset, MemPoint]

VBS2:: obj1 attachTo [obj2,offset,mempoint,rope,bone]

If these additional options require PhysX, we're better left without them. The current attachTo might have some limitations, but it beats the crap out of the old setPos we were forced to use :)

PhysX is included as software with Nvidia cards of the 8 series and better. No reason not to include them in games these days since you no longer need a separate card to take advantage of the system.

Does anyone have an example of a waypoint script that I can use for this addon I have it working except for the fact that the chopper stays at the site after the drop off any help with this waypoint script would be great

Hi

Being a complete and utter noob I have probably done this in a really rubbish way but I have managed to get this working with a support chopper from the SECOPS module, so you can fastrope on demand. I checked with Norrin via PM if it was okay for me to butcher his work before posting it!

After installing Norrin's addon I did the following:

1) Place a SECOPS module and name it (in my case - I named it SECOP. For originality's sake.) Synch it to the player.

2) Follow the steps in this thread to get it working with the chopper of your choice: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73329&highlight=secop

Specifically, I named my chopper patrol2, then put this in my init.sqf:

Patrol2 flyInHeight 40;
SECOP setVariable ["settings", [[], true, nil, nil, false]]; 
[["transport"],player] call BIS_SOM_addSupportRequestFunc;  
SECOP setVariable ["TSS_vehicle_custom", Patrol2]; 
sleep 5;
["transport", player] call BIS_SOM_addSupportRequestFunc;

3) In the init field of my chopper (an MH60 in this case) I put:

Patrol2 addAction ["Fastrope", "fastrope.sqf"];

4) I then created a fastrope.sqf using Norrin's waypoint on act code:

_heli = _this select 0;
Patrol2 land "NONE";
nul = [_heli, 30, "move.sqs"] execVM "FastRope\scripts\fast_rope_AI_pilot.sqf";

5) I set up a marker named "WP1" back near by chopper's starting point and then used Norrins move.sqs (with one waypoint removed.)

;chopper_move.sqs
_heli1 = _this select 0;
_group = group _heli1;
~2
_heli1 flyInHeight 40; 
_waypoint0 = _group addWaypoint [getMarkerPos "WP1", 15];
_waypoint0 setWaypointType "MOVE";
_waypoint0 setWaypointSpeed "Normal"; 
exit

Now I can call for a chopper in the usual way (via request support), hop in and give a disembark destination. The choper has an action attached named fastrope, which I click as the chopper slows to land, but before it begins it's descent. It should hover, fastrope you and your crew then head back home and land to await your next call.

Hope this is useful for someone. As a total noob I was so pleased that I got something to work (without really knowing what all the scripts do, it has to be said) that I felt compelled to post it!

Dave

I might have to try it that way but for right now the only thing not executing is the last waypoint script. i am using this line as provided by the read me.

nul = [a, b, c] execVM "FastRope\scripts\fast_rope_AI_pilot.sqf";

a is the name of the helicopter;

b is the distance the AI units fan out after fast roping; and

c is the chopper waypoint script that is activated after fast roping is complete

so mine looks like this:

nul = [usheli1, 10, c] execVM "FastRope\scripts\fast_rope_AI_pilot.sqf";

When I try to add the C Parameter

nul = [usheli1, 10, move1.sqs] execVM "FastRope\scripts\fast_rope_AI_pilot.sqf";

I am then asked to add a [ and I am lost at that point.

My confusion is that it wont allow me to run the command I know the script could be wrong cause of my own helicopters name but why cant I add the C Parameter?

I would think that where ever there is a call for the heli in the move script I would need to change it to usheli1 in the script

;chopper_move.sqs

_heli = _this select 0;

_group = group _heli;

~2

_heli flyInHeight 40;

_waypoint0 = _group addWaypoint [getMarkerPos "WP1", 15];

_waypoint0 setWaypointType "MOVE";

_waypoint0 setWaypointSpeed "Normal";

_waypoint1 = _group addWaypoint [getMarkerPos "WP2", 7];

_waypoint1 setWaypointType "MOVE";

exit

Any help is appreciated

I'm a complete noob, so I might be wrong, but have you got quotation marks around move.sqs in the editor, as you haven't in the code you posted?

Dave

Well see what your saying is exactly right and why I had a problem, What I really failed to do as a noob is to load the mission that came with the script and watch it first hand looking at all of his init lines thats what really makes me a noob.

So Can you tell me why that command needs a set of quotes there? I would love to be able to start recognizing some of the syntax errors myself.

Also now that I have it working this way I would love to find this secops program I have looked online and I fond things to read is this secops thing just the new modules that arma has like a (civ module, and an artillary module) ?? or something different?

thanks alot for the posts daveboy

Edited by Breeze