Sign in to follow this  
fjaekel

graphics bugs with ATI 4800 series (4850/4870/4890)

CF setups should rename the arma2.exe to Crysis.exe to level off the way out of wack bloom stuff. It works great.

---------- Post added at 08:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 AM ----------

i use 9.6 in all OSes and it works. I am becoming a believer with xp64 tho. (9.7s where good but i want a the real deal from ATI)

Cool thanks for that. Initially I though the crysis.exe rename trick was just for NVidia cards.

Cheers.

ArmA 2 for me besides the loading when entering cities is working great on my

4870 1GB. Very High settings, AA off and PostFX

I disabled alot of the features in CCC which helped alot

USE app settings

- Disable Catalyst AI

- Vsync Always Off

- MipMap high quality

- Uncheck Adaptive Anti Aliasing

- Triple Bufferering/ON

Quite weird actually ArmA 2 is the only game that hasn't crashed on my computer, while about 80% of my other games are crashing frequently from driver crashes.

Used 9.5, 9.6 & 9.7 not really any different.

Hi,

I've the same problem with my graphic card : Radeon X1900 Series.

I got many artifacts after few minutes of play, doing my game unplayable... I can play a little longer if I put all the options to the minimum but it's not really beautiful.

Can it be a compatibility problem or can I resolve it myself ? Has someone here the same problem with this graphic card ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I've the same problem with my graphic card : Radeon X1900 Series.

I got many artifacts after few minutes of play, doing my game unplayable... I can play a little longer if I put all the options to the minimum but it's not really beautiful.

Can it be a compatibility problem or can I resolve it myself ? Has someone here the same problem with this graphic card ?

Thanks in advance.

If you are using the AGP version then increase your AGP Aperture in the BIOS to 512MB, that will resolve the issue. Otherwise you are stuffed like the rest of the folk here.

try setting the "mipmap detail" IN THE CCC to "Quality", one less than High.

I don't think having the AGP Version.

I tried to change the mipmap detail to quality, but the bug continues...

It hurts me the have paid a game I can't play with :(

I don't think having the AGP Version.

I tried to change the mipmap detail to quality, but the bug continues...

It hurts me the have paid a game I can't play with :(

Sorry does that mean you don't have the AGP version or you don't think you have the AGP version ? I understand English may not be your first language, just reply 'I have the PCIe version' or 'I have the AGP version' to simplify it.

Of course if you don't have the AGP one then you will need to wait like everyone else here for BI to recognise the fault then fix it which may be several patches away.

Well I amanged to reduce the number of times I get Receiving.... black screen and the number of CTD's by reducing texture quality to the lowest possible and same goes for almost every other setting. This makes the game playable in cities as well but it depends on what you mean by "playable".

I get horrible graphics like plastacine trees and blurry textures on building, basically the graphics become barely better than OFP1! so yeah I can run around shooting AI but half the fun is gone because of the atmosphere lost.

AND I still have to occasionaly ALT - flush when stuttering begins but it takes a while usually.

Well I amanged to reduce the number of times I get Receiving.... black screen and the number of CTD's by reducing texture quality to the lowest possible and same goes for almost every other setting. This makes the game playable in cities as well but it depends on what you mean by "playable".

I get horrible graphics like plastacine trees and blurry textures on building, basically the graphics become barely better than OFP1! so yeah I can run around shooting AI but half the fun is gone because of the atmosphere lost.

AND I still have to occasionaly ALT - flush when stuttering begins but it takes a while usually.

That's what puzzles me. Your PC is not much different from mine.

You've a newer motherboard chipset than mine, almost the same graphic card, you've a quad and I have a duo processor and I got more memory, and my PSU is not from a bad maker. However I don't have CTDs and I play with Normal settings including AA. Everything runs fine except in the big cities frames drop to 25 (in campaign). I wonder what is the stressing point in your machine to cause CTDs.

That's what puzzles me. Your PC is not much different from mine.

... I wonder what is the stressing point in your machine to cause CTDs.

well i would think its a RAM timing/voltage issue....

1 month after the european release date and still those bugs. .

No offense, but i sincerely wonder when can we expect to have a playable game or at least obtain some feedback.

I can understand that BI is currently in a debugging phase and don't have time to waste on forums. But this lack of communication/PR is quite worrying.

Most of us are mature people around 20-30 years, we can understand problems you are facing with the release of a new title, we can try to help you, giving some feedback or testing beta patch but we cannot accept the actual situation, we need a solution.

Thank you in advance,

Edited by Kobalt
typo

9.7 WHQL for vista/win7 32bit LINK

...I just changed original link from 9.6 replacing number 6 with 7.

....Try with download manager, not with the browser

guru3d.com

hey guys i join u guys i get worst performace whit my XFX 4890 XXX the my sucky 8800GT

Hmm, that's some messed up artifacting you've got there. I just bought a Radeon 4870 Dark Knight edition the other day and I don't seem to be having any of these issues, just the usual weird texture popping and such that seems to plague ArmA II in general. Man, it sure does look nice with everything turned up all the way, though.

In general though, that level of artifacting, like others have said, could be your GPU or the graphics memory getting too hot or freaking out completely. The last time I had bad artifacting like that my card soon fell apart.

Yesterday i fter playing ~2hours i got the triangles and so on, don't know why...typed the FLUSH command and everything worked till the end :)

Hmm, that's some messed up artifacting you've got there. I just bought a Radeon 4870 Dark Knight edition the other day and I don't seem to be having any of these issues, just the usual weird texture popping and such that seems to plague ArmA II in general. Man, it sure does look nice with everything turned up all the way, though.

In general though, that level of artifacting, like others have said, could be your GPU or the graphics memory getting too hot or freaking out completely. The last time I had bad artifacting like that my card soon fell apart.

Just absofuckinglutely wonderful to see we are back to "card overheating" advice.

Please never post here again.

It's a known fact its a bug with ati 4850 and greater cards.

Its down to either BIS or ATI to fix.

...and lesser cards too... seems ATI cards in general suffer but BI still stick with its your hardware that is faulty...

Got these artifacts, too. Makes the game pretty much unplayable once it starts (that is, BESIDES the regular crashes completely freezing the rig...).

Rig:

Win XP SP3

Sapphire HD 4870 512MB (one more of these...)

C2D E8500

4GB RAM

- Had the issues with Catalyst 9.5 and 9.6

- Just tested with the brand-new 9.7 -> Same issue :mad:

Pretty much looks like not a driver but an ARMA II problem. No other games whatsoever have any problems.

Didn't know about the -flush option, though, I'll check out how long it saves me from the "mad triangles" :j:

Got these artifacts, too. Makes the game pretty much unplayable once it starts (that is, BESIDES the regular crashes completely freezing the rig...).

Rig:

Win XP SP3

Sapphire HD 4870 512MB (one more of these...)

C2D E8500

4GB RAM

- Had the issues with Catalyst 9.5 and 9.6

- Just tested with the brand-new 9.7 -> Same issue :mad:

Pretty much looks like not a driver but an ARMA II problem. No other games whatsoever have any problems.

Didn't know about the -flush option, though, I'll check out how long it saves me from the "mad triangles" :j:

Installing windows 7 RC enabled me to run the game glitch free.

Phenom 2 quad

4 gig DC 800Mhz

ATI 4850

Foxconn A7MXK mobo

( Probably get banned for this but using a NO dvd patch seems to have increased my average frame rate)

( Probably get banned for this but using a NO dvd patch seems to have increased my average frame rate)

I say you should get banned for making that statement with no factual evidence. "It seems to have...."

Are BIS still saying our hardware is to blame? Or have they just said nothing since they came out with that rubbish?

Just downloaded the new drivers and started the Red Harvest campaign mission hopefully. Artefacts quicker than ever..

Edited by Conkermon

So far the only response we have seen is a mixture of 'your hardware is faulty' and '...a combination of your hardware and drivers' so I am afraid that is all we have managed to get from the elusive BI developers.

My initial problems I actually got an email stating its a problem with AGP for me but the other users here and probably yourself do not use AGP but PCIe so not even sure they are looking at the FAULT with ARMAII.