Sign in to follow this  
fjaekel

graphics bugs with ATI 4800 series (4850/4870/4890)

Before..

Crossfire is making the game run more bad then when crossfire is disabled.

So with 1 4870 1gb card i could play the game quite good, no artifact problems.

With crossfire enabled the game works for a moment but artifacts will pop up and ruin it.

Now...

Now with the newest ati catalyst driver the game works even more bad then ever.

Now i even also get artifacts using just one 4870 card.

When im getting the artifacts, my fps drops from +/- 60 to 1, and then when i go back to video options and press "default" everything will run smooth again, untill at some point the artifacts arrive again and so on and so on.

I expect more of BIS.

Im sure this cant be just a driver problem, but also a game problem.

Without all this shit this game will be great, and im loving the game when it runs smooth before the artifacts etc starts.

BIS...... FIX THIS ! NOW ! DAMNIT !

my rig:

phenom 2 x4 955 black edition

2 Ati hd 4870 1 gb

4mb ram

windows xp pro 32bit.

I've got a new gfx card, a 4890 1 gig card, but everytime i goto play arma 2 , theres little tiny boxes on screen which is a driver issue i think as every other game i play there is no problem at all.

I am using catalyst version 9.7.

Any 1 else getting these issues with the new 4890 1 gig card?

TRULY ANNOYING.

SORT IT BIS.

Ginnge51... u mean these boxes/squares?

naamloos-5.jpg

naamloos2.jpg

Well... some weeks ago when i had just 1 4870 1 gb card, i got these weird colored squares during play.

Weird thing was, it only occured during Arma2 and COD:MD2.

When i was playing arma1, i had no problems at all.

I requested an RMA for that card, and they told me the card was unrepairable, so they send me a new 4870 1 gb card, and since then i've never have any weird squares / colors problems anymore.

Problem that happens now sometimes, and that with crossfire disabled, is grey artifacts sometime pop up and make the game just unplayable.

Not sure weather this is a driver or game problem, perhaps just both.

These artifacts problems only happens sometimes. I press video options Default, and i can play normal again.

But im glad that with crossfire disabled i got almost everywhere 50 a 60 fps no mather where i stand.

Edited by bve85

im getting very tiny blinking white dots on some areas like terrain and roads.. and trees which is annoying

im getting very tiny blinking white dots on some areas like terrain and roads.. and trees which is annoying

I get that too, almost like speckles on shadows or dark areas only. Nothing major and bearable but not desirable. As you can see our systems are pretty different... could be an engine undocumented feature like the rest of the non-issues here. ;)

Running in crossfire with the new 9.7 drivers and don't experience the triangles or what not. For me it's the usual texture and lod problems that plague BIS games.

Running in crossfire with the new 9.7 drivers and don't experience the triangles or what not. For me it's the usual texture and lod problems that plague BIS games.

I have played the game without a great deal of problems (other than the usual bugs) until I installed Cat 9.7. The game now slows down to less than 1 FPS.

Totally unplayable even in low settings.

I removed 9.7 and cleaned my system and re-installed Cat 9.6 but the problem now appears permanent.

I even uninstalled and re-installed the game.

I now give up playing it and will wait until Dragon rising is released.

A very big pity on what should have been a great experience.

I have played the game without a great deal of problems (other than the usual bugs) until I installed Cat 9.7. The game now slows down to less than 1 FPS.

Totally unplayable even in low settings.

I removed 9.7 and cleaned my system and re-installed Cat 9.6 but the problem now appears permanent.

I even uninstalled and re-installed the game.

I now give up playing it and will wait until Dragon rising is released.

A very big pity on what should have been a great experience.

ATI drivers updates are a real pain, did you try a tool such as "driver cleaner" before reinstalling 9.6 ?

With the 9.7 catalyst driver, im experiencing this problem when coming near / in towns / cities.

naamloos-8.jpg

When this happens, fps drops to 1, and is not playable offcourse, untill i alt tab it, or press at video options Default, i can play again, untill it happens again.

I just deleted the 9.7 catalyst drivers totally, using driver cleaner etc, and reinstalled 9.6 again, but still keeping the problem, while before when i used 9.6 i never had this problem.

Really annoying, i just cant enter villages or cities cause this happens all the time since i installed the 9.7 driver when it 1st came out.

I think the 9.7 drivers are in the right direction.

Nice boast to my other simulations so, but only a marginal increase with Arma 2.

1680x1050 100% fillrate, no AA they seem to be a real fps killler with AA being the worst. I can deal with the lines.

Eveything on very high, view at 2.5k, grass on, I manage 25 to 35 fps in campaign mode, and I hit the cap in utes or whatever you call it.

I get an ocassional warped image if I walk in a certain area, and odd texture loading deal in the towns. I did get that odd thing where my guys were all white, but it fixed itself after few seconds. Happened after using the UAV.

That texture deal is the problem of all problems as far as the graphics go. Maybe even the cause of all the distortion me thinks. Least on my end. If it where not for that, my fps would stay higher rather than diping while shit loads.

I think I got a small gain with crossfire now working without the winxp command. 9.6 with the winxp add in made no difference or renaming the exe.

Tried overclocking the CPU to 3.8 gigs but the gain wasnt even worth it so I went back to stock. My Asus tri fan 4870 x2 works well and never gets above 60c so I dont think I'm having heat issues. (Nice job Asus.)

Fix that texture deal and we'd have a cockin sim.

Full specs of my rig for comparison:

Intel Core I7 920 stock

Asus Tri Fan 4870 x2 2gigs ram

Gigabyte X58 UD5 mobo

6 gigs corsair dominator

Corsair 750BTX PSU

Antec 300 case

4 120mm antec fan

1 140mm Antec fan

Vigor Monsoon III CPU cooler.

Edited by rogue221

I think, those who dont have a problem should speak up here as well (without destroying the message of course). I recently bought a 4890, switching from a 8800GTS and have zero problems with it. I was slightly dissapointed though, the performance boost was insignificant.

I think, those who dont have a problem should speak up here as well (without destroying the message of course). I recently bought a 4890, switching from a 8800GTS and have zero problems with it. I was slightly dissapointed though, the performance boost was insignificant.

I've made exactly the same upgrade and IMHO it was significant. It wasn't a night from day difference but it was significant.

I've made exactly the same upgrade and IMHO it was significant. It wasn't a night from day difference but it was significant.

i jumped from a 8800GT and my fps is now dancing like a :yay:

it goose up en down from 60 cant go higher i dont why but it jump from 60 to 12 then 20 30 its never stabel.

whit my 88GT it was stable between 23 and 40:( only time wil fix the game and i have the time so there is no big prob here

Ok well in that case I have a HIS ATI 4850 512 mb non-overclocked using the official 9.7 drivers. I had no problems in Vista Ultimate 64 bit and after switching to Windows 7 64 bit I still have no problems. The only thing is slight texture flicker on certain buildings when they come into view.

ATI drivers updates are a real pain, did you try a tool such as "driver cleaner" before reinstalling 9.6 ?

Yes, I always flush out the remnants of the previous drivers with driver sweeper and I also do a reg clean together with a couple of re-boots to make sure all is gone before re-installing.

I was playing the game fine for around 20 hours in campaign mode until a couple of days ago.

I have tried to roll-back to 9.5 and 9.6 with the same issues.

Yes, I always flush out the remnants of the previous drivers with driver sweeper and I also do a reg clean together with a couple of re-boots to make sure all is gone before re-installing.

I was playing the game fine for around 20 hours in campaign mode until a couple of days ago.

As you reinstalled the game, did you delete all related files (apart from the savegames of the campaign) in your profile folder before trying the game again ?

As you reinstalled the game, did you delete all related files (apart from the savegames of the campaign) in your profile folder before trying the game again ?

Yes, completely deleted all remaining folders and registration remnants.

After messing about with the video settings,I can now get reasonable (although not pretty) playability with all set to very high but with aniscopic filtering and anti-aliasing turned off.

The screen goes dark for a few seconds occasioanlly though.

never ever ever ever do i use any "cleaner" to take care of my drivers... Havent had a real issue at all on the whole Catalyst 9.x series this year , and or with this game...

This is with XP XP64 Vista64 and rc7, if a plimp does happen on install, install again over the top, then use the cat uninstaller to remove. Been installing over the top the whole 9.x Officials and uninstalling any betas. i turn UAC off and i am always admin...

As for the topic at hand, i do see some graphical artifacts at certain times, and its very rare and goes away... I have 4GB of vidram that is only using 2GB, but it seems to have the ability to pull out of whatever happens... 512mb cards are not for this game , at least with the current .exe.

I recommend 2Gb of vram.

I don't. The title of the thread is : graphics bugs with ATI 4800 series (4850/4870/4890) not 'My ATI card works ok ?'

If you want to discuss your working card then please don't hijack this thread and create your own please.

Thanks.

If your installing new cat drivers over the old ones the cat installer removes the old driver first so theres no need to use any driver cleaning utilities unless your going back to old drivers.

Been doing this since 8.12 and never had an issue. Used Driver cleaner and it wouldnt allow the new drivers to install for some strange reason. I had to uninstall Driver cleaner and then they worked fine.

I don't. The title of the thread is : graphics bugs with ATI 4800 series (4850/4870/4890) not 'My ATI card works ok ?'

If you want to discuss your working card then please don't hijack this thread and create your own please.

Thanks.

thrott why are u even commenting in this thread?...this thread is for owners of 48xx cards not 38xx AGP cards.....perhaps u should start a thread about "my 3 year old agp card wont run current games higher than 800x600 resolution anymore" instead of shooting people down with their comments in the thread they belong in!

i`ve read through this thread and all you ever say is "that doesn`t work","i`ve tried that" yadeeya...so and so forth...your problems will be reduced if u invest a bit of money and upgrade your graphics card/system...drivers,updates and workarounds ain`t gonna work for you cos quite frankly according to your system specs your system isnt up to it.

my specs....case-haf932...psu-corsair hx1000...cpu-e8400@3.6ghz....ram-2x2gb corsair dominators ddr2 1066...cpu cooler-zerotherm nirvana...gpu-gainward 4870x2 rampage 700 golden sample....motherboard-asus p5q deluxe...soundcard-xfi gamer fatality edition...hard drives 2xsamsung spinpoints 320gb+1tb wd caviar...optical drives-lg bd rom/hddvd rom reader+lightscribe and dvdrw and ld dvd/cd rewriter....monitor-dell 23inch 1920x1080 res.

This thread has been just named wrongly krony. If you had read the whole thread you would have seen it. If i remember correctly, poeple with ATI cards of the series 1xxxx, 2xxx, 3xxx and 4xxx have reported the same artifacts.

Edited by Ginger McAle

As Ginger says thread title misses off the remaining ATI card estate :) . Shame folk who post things like Krony1664 has appear to only read the 1 page in the 38 page thread and all the things we (the community) have tried on several different cards, different setups etc. all we need now is the magical fix from Krony1664 to state that it must be an overheating issue.

Still, as the insight here that my AMD x4 955 BE CPU and HD3850 are too old to run the game it seems that there may be little hope for others too.

Lastly - The issue for me doesn't really exist as I have a work around which is increasing the AGP Aperture so the game works fine but I don't like using the work around, thank you for telling me 'it won't work though' but maybe some time invested in reading before you post comments would give you a better stance ? I am posting to help and get to the bottom of the issue with the other ATI users to stop 'must be a hardware issue' posters to stop posting such rediculous standard answers.

Cheers.

If your installing new cat drivers over the old ones the cat installer removes the old driver first so theres no need to use any driver cleaning utilities unless your going back to old drivers.

Been doing this since 8.12 and never had an issue. Used Driver cleaner and it wouldnt allow the new drivers to install for some strange reason. I had to uninstall Driver cleaner and then they worked fine.

The catalyst installer does not remove the entire previous driver contents mate.

Just try it and then run a driver cleaner, you will see loads of remnants.

Had a similar issue, but what I did was uninstall the drivers, reboot, run cleaner, reboot, install new drivers, reboot, defrag and your good to go. If you don't reboot after running the cleaner it'll stop you from installing. This was with my previous 4870.

Back in the 3.xx days of Catalyst I kept getting crashes because I didn't know to uninstall my current drivers before installing the new ones. Learned my lesson real quick and now I'm pretty damn picky about how I install my drivers.