Sign in to follow this  
dale0404

Change the Language in Arma 2?

ok i just discovered something. by modifying the pbo files ourselves . its breaking the original bis sig. and some online servers require to have the original bis sig or you can't join.

Absolutely correct.

You also trigger FADE (=copy protection that starts degrading the game).

Are you sure? Has that been confirmed anywhere? I think it's very unlikely that modifying PBOs could trigger FADE. Why should it? FADE is supposed to degrade the quality of illegitimate game copies, not punish people for modifying data files.

Stop breaking your game installations guys, just wait for the next patches. They said the change-language-feature will be enabled in 1 of them. :)

I have no problem with the German version because most of the game IS still english. Don't be so picky ffs.

You also trigger FADE (=copy protection that starts degrading the game).

I doubt that, since any addon could trigger FADE if this where true.

Actually, AFAIK FADE was never mentioned post OFP - CWC, end even back then I suspect it has been more FUD(1) then Fact (I don't know for sure, but my money is on FUD :p ). If you tell someone his illegit copy will slowly degrade, then it will. Suggestion is a powerful thing. Just look around in more recent threads of people having smoother gameplay with -maxmem4096 than with -maxmen2047, even though the devs have clearly stated that 2047 is the limit, higher numbers won't change that.

But I have to admit, FADE might be the best copy protection ever, wether it is indeed implemented in the game or only in the pirates brain. Pure genius, illegit copy holders never know if FADE is at work... :D

(1)FUD: Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt

I was just reporting what people have reported on the forums. But you're right KKB, the info might very well be false.

There are some posts on arma2.dk where members talk about fade kicking in if altering the language files, and theres a "guide" to correctly impliment the "file" to the game.

Heres the link http://www.arma2.dk/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=14

/Meek

Edit: btw its in danish..

Edit2: here's a translated link http://translate.google.dk/translate?prev=hp&hl=da&js=n&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.arma2.dk%2Fforum%2Fviewthread.php%3Fthread_id%3D14&sl=da&tl=en&history_state0=

Edited by Meekx

Thanks Meek!

Looks like I've been wrong, if you are suddenly a seagull then that indeed might be FADE. I always wanted to see the fabled FADE myself (how about a -fade command line switch so we paying customers don't miss out? ;) j/k), maybe I try messing with the files in Dta... :D

As stated in the danish forum, overwriting original content is always a bad idea (FADE or not, there will be the issue of BIS sign keys no longer working which might give you grieve trying to play online), always use modfolders and/or custom PBOs, this way you will always be able to start the vanilla version. You can change everything without touching the original files.

So now that the game is out in the UK, is it legally possible that someone uploads the english language files?

If your using a Mod file to use the English version the simplist thing to do is too Have a seperate quicklaunch for Multiplayer only that does not use the english Mod. That way you can join any Muti Player match.

But to be honest. So little people playing that last night I had a problem getting in to one game at first. Then they switched it back. The game announces what you are using for mod files anyway. So if the Guy running the server thinks your running anything other then a English Mod file he can boot you.

Buy the way I think that 75% of the people that joined the server last night were using a german version with an english Mod File. LOL. Was kinda funny to keep seeing the announments, and the different Names people named the Mod Folder. LOL.

Hello Everyone

I have a question. Could anyone who bought ARMA2 in hungary tell me if by any chance on installation game asks you for language (so to say could you install game in full English or any other language).

Actually if anyone else who bought the game in lets say Poland or Slovakia tell me if it is possible with their versions.

I know that many times original games come as multilanguage and you can choose this on installation.

Thank you for your help.

D81

One question that was asked some times before but didn't get clearly answered is:

Does the 505 version 1.02 have also German language?

(And yes, I saw Maruks post but there he refered to the "out of the box" version)

So any news about this ? Im about to order the spanish version cus i just cant find it in portugal (not even a release date) but i want my game in english <.<

Edited by nocturna

So any news about this ? Im about to order the spanish version cus i just cant find it in portugal (not even a release date) but i want my game in english <.<

Pay someone in the US to gift it to you over steam. It might actually end up costing you less (not sure).

All 1.02 versions have these languages: German, English, Italian, Spanish, French, Czech, Russian, Polish, Hungarian.

But it depends the serial key (=where the game is bought) what languages can be chosen. For example Morphicon version only allow German to be chosen (no other languages). If Spanish version is 505 version then English can be chosen.

But language files that came with original 505 version (ver. 1.01) contain only English, Italian, Spanish, French and if they are used with lets say Morphicon version, English is chosen as German is simple not there (maybe because it is first in the list). I have tested them and they seem to work ok with latest 1.02 patch.

Original signed 505 language files can be dowloaded from here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=75201&page=6

-KJT-

I can confirm that the spanish version (505) has english, french and spanish. THANK GOD.

Edited by nocturna

I bought today Arma2 Russian version, its only around 21$. Is there any way, to patch it to english language like with german version?

hey i bought the german version back in the beginning of june just to see what arma2 was like. Now i am wondering if i can change the language from german to english. i'm still trying to navigate my way through the controls because im not fluent in german. Maybe i'm missing the option so if someone could tell me where to go to change it that would be much appreciated.

I bought the game in czech,and the shop keeper said that it has an english option inside,but when i came home it was restricted to only czech and i dont understand shi..shkebab :P could some please help me? I speak Russian,English and German languages,if it is possible to change the game to any of them,pleas send me the solution.

THank you god.

P.S ALAHU AGHBAR! :yay:

I would like to know the same. I am a Czech and I have the game in Czech but games sound much better to me in English. Is there such an option? I cant recall the game asking me at any point of the insltallation and there is certainly no such option in the menu...?

In the German version which I own there is definitely no option to change all dialogue to English, neither during installation nor in the game.

It works like this: Any written information (manual, briefings, subtitles etc.) is in German. Dialogue is in the language of the speaker. The locals speak "Chernarussian" which is either real Czech or a generic dialect of Czech designed to make the language sound a little different. (Not sure about the Czech, though. I don't speak the language but I read different statements - you will know better.)

In other threads on this forum some people ask for all English dialogue because they don't want to read subtitles all the time. There are some inconsistencies, however: Russian soldiers acknowledging orders call their officer "Sir" and injured Russian soldiers say in English "Oh, that hurts!". Someone who speaks Russian complained the quality of the Russian language in the game is very poor. The American English of the USMC sounds good but some people complain that the voice actors aren't soldiers which makes some of the phrases and the radio chatter unrealistic.

I'd like to know your opinion about the Czech used in your version of the game. Do Americans and Russian really speak Czech? Are the words and phrases realistic? Can you identify "Chernarussian" as an existing Czech dialect?