Sign in to follow this  
walker

ArmA II's infinite land

Hi all

I do not think AI will work beyond the standard map area. That is the case ArmA I. So I presume it is similar in ArmA II.

But I could be wrong, only experiment will prove the case.

Guess that will be something we have to MOD.

Kind Regards walker

The idea of round world is very very bad. It is supposed to go russia on the north side, not going into the sea south of chernarus.

Better have infinite land where building and trees are "invincible" so you don't have to calculate what is destroyed and what isn't. Sure it's not "cool" but it's easier to implement. The borders are just a way to come into chernarus. If you crashed you can be picked up by a transport vehicle.

We can even still enjoy fighting in the border.

I prefer invincible objects in the borders land, than a round world where the north link up with the south sea.. kinda ridiculous.

Hi all

People are missing something. The major thing to consider is that it may be possible to predict the result of seed numbers and from them then create worlds that match real places. Thus giving us the greatest loss-less environment compression algorithm possible.

One thing we do need is the method of retrieving and injecting the seed number into the game.

I think there will be a mass of data to be gathered before we understand it. One thing that would be useful is to classify the data that produce different elevations. thus enabling us to produce seas in the infinite land. Also what produces urban environments.

With a good algorithm it may be possible to create a spherical planet once we can do this, the worlds it creates would become our oysters.

Kind regards walker

I just read every post in this thread.

I 'm not sure that I understand.

My heart goes out to Christopher Columbus...

An infinite round world with no place to stake a claim!

Could be interesting.

Thanks.

While we are blurting out wild fantasies: if one creates a spherical world, one could also need/want timezones.

Anyway i seriously doubt we'll even make it to spherical...

Soon people will start demanding other planets ! :p

Great, now look at what you started :p

btw I want Mars

Edited by RicoADF

First and only game I played with infinite map is Tribes II and Vengeance

Frontier: Elite 2 did multiple planets(in fact multiple solar systems), that you could land and fly around on, back in the 1990s, on bloody Amiga's! So, why the hell not?:D

First and only game I played with infinite map is Tribes II and Vengeance

Man, Tribes 2. Those were the good ol' days lol.

Maybe you will be hunted by evil bigfoots in the land beyond!

Im ready for the expedition, and im bringin guns and gas!

Wish granted. Be sure to not fast forward and keep your eyes locked on the video:

http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity/

This guy/s create procedural (or what its called) planets and space for an upcoming game sometime in the future. Interesting engine though. gotta say that. Especially the final zoom out.... Bloody hell. There is gravity on the planets as well. Other vids show it.

Alex

Edited by Alex72

I've been following 'Infinity: The Quest for Earth' for a long time now, and it might be my first MMO. They try to keep it like

with Newtonian physics, realistic distances and billions of stars. It has a big contributing community.

Those interested could try the Infinity Combat Prototype, basically a working demo/test of space combat.

Should add that you cant go down to any planet in the combat prototype. just fly and shoot eachother. ;) And yeah it seems like the real deal will be massive. Take off from the ground on some planet together and go for space... Will be a sight im sure.

How is it possible, via the mission editor, to place units on a procedurally generated space?

At a guess i would say "not very". And in that case i would suggest that, albeit a step up form an invisible wall and fairly impressive, its a little bit pointless?

Brilliant.

Just the sort of well balanced, thought out answer i was looking for, i can go to sleep happy now.

Thanks.

One of the first real OFP-type FPS Delta Force had infinite terrain.

But I guess they could make snakes, bears and tank crushing elephants appear outside the real borders, and then when you go too far some dragon could appear, or why not do some auto-piloting. The game walks the user back into the right area (but you're still able to aim).

My "Want!" was aimed at the Infinity video. Anyways, a good way to stop people from going too far into the infinite land and crashing servers would be to have people on border patrol duty gun you down. It makes perfect sense... right?

How is it possible, via the mission editor, to place units on a procedurally generated space?

This might be possible with some scripting, but I am actually no expert at it. The basic idea would be to place the object near the border and then move it with a relative offset beyond it, e.g. with the setPos Command.

Even if it worked, if the terrain is random generated at mission start it would probably be still of little use, as what once ended up in a valley might be the next time on a mountain top...

Boys. I really doubt you will ever want to play on that generated part, while there's sweet Charnerus available.

Hi all

The fundamental nature of ArmA players is a love of freedom.

We all got into ArmA because were sick of the prisons for our minds that most game publishers wanted to inflict on us.

Kind regards walker

The only prob is when you walk around at the border and you want aircraft to attack you from the north. You can't just click on the planes and place them outside the map. You need to script it.