Sign in to follow this  
walker

ArmA II's infinite land

This screens definitely look better than the spooky green, graveyard green infinite land from 1.01 :D

Walking into infinite land in ArmA 2 is just like Jim Carry in the movie The Truman Show where he sails into an infinite ocean but finds a wall instead.

I actually have a legitimate question here:

Would it be possible to create an island that is randomly generated each time? So imagine Chernarus without the Chernarus, just the infinite land generation.

If possible, maybe it could add more than just land and grass...

I'm just curious, but I haven't seen anyone mention it yet.

Abs

A randomly generated island the size of Sahrani? SAHRANI?! OH MY LAWD!!!! This is seriously epic. All we need now are towns and roads and villages and cities and*dies of excitement*

I actually have a legitimate question here:

Would it be possible to create an island that is randomly generated each time? So imagine Chernarus without the Chernarus, just the infinite land generation.

If possible, maybe it could add more than just land and grass...

I'm just curious, but I haven't seen anyone mention it yet.

Abs

Hi all

In reply to Abs that is of course what I was talking about in my earlier posts in this thread if you look back see my second post on this page:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=72979&page=6

Basically it is a loss-less fractal compression. Originally all fractal compression was lossy but recently loss-less forms of fractal compression have been the subject of research and experiment.

What we would hope for is discovering a way of compressing existing geometry into a short seed number, then regenerating it. Essential it would mean you could compress the geometry of the earth into a reasonably short number. For practical purposes in games it means faster load times and more importantly the ability to do this quickly from a short library then over the Internet stream in the alterations to terrain such as a knocked down tree.

It would be the MMOG to end all MMOG.

The current bottle neck is the speed of the procedural engine. You will notice stuttering on slow machines like mine; when the procedural part of the engine is creating Infinite Land in ArmA II. This is the part I expect BIS will be spending their time refining and optimising over the next few years for ArmA III. Along with the mathematics of believable random urban environments. This is serious math. A step beyond what even BIS have done with LINDA which in itself I think, now we have had a look at it phenomenal work; that math is somewhat understood but the mathematics of Urban environments are I think far more complex.

Kind Regards walker

Hi all

Does any one know of a command to get the seed number for the procedural land?

We need this so we can repeat any environment we find.

Kind regards walker

I would like to join you on your expedition walker.

the never ending land awaits!

Hi all

I guess we need to get the expedition under way.

Those who wish to volunteer for the first exedition PM me with your skill set and what you think you will bring to the expedition please. I am particularly looking for scripters and a psychologist.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker