Sign in to follow this  
walker

ArmA2 needs to be advertised!

Hi all

The problem for OFP and ArmA marketing has always been advertising.

The fact that BIS are employing Clevercom for US PR gives me hope but we in the OFP/ArmA community can help.

I am sure many of us rave about it to our friends and even strangers but there are other things we can do:

1) Go into your local game shops ask what the ArmA 2 release date is.

2) Contact national media, TV, Internet and Print. Most have email addresses point them at Videos like the one by Dslyecxi if we can swamp his bandwidth great :p :D, pst better to use the YouTube link though. ;)

3) Link to it posts on other forums.

4) Point out the military version is used to train troops and is considered the De-facto NATO FPS simulator.

5) Get the word out.

Why should we do it? Surely BIS are payed to do or pay someone to do it. It is their job.

I think we should do it because we think ArmA and the Real Virtuality is worth while and worth supporting.

And a larger community means more room for us to play in.

Kind Regards walker

Good idea. :) Unfortunatley I am not sure if my newspaper would publish it. And the military version is actully the most preferred simulator?

Pretty much everyone in my year knows what ArmA is because of me.

... It's a start? :p

Hi all

Good idea. :) Unfortunatley I am not sure if my newspaper would publish it.

Couple of minutes to email it, no big time cost and believe me when I say Journalists like to be in on the wave and ready made stories. Cheap copy they call it. A journalists bread and butter.

And the military version is actully the most preferred simulator?

Google

NATO Defacto vbs2

Kind regards walker

Finland is pretty much covered by the quality journalism of the Pelit magazine. It's been a huge opinion leader for many less internationally popular games such as Jagged Alliance 2, King of Dragon Pass and Space Rangers 2. The sales figures per capita are in a class of their own for the mentioned games that got positive reviews. If Arma 2 is good, it will have its buyers.

Have to agree - we really have to see some advertisement online and out in the cities soon, otherwise this game won't get the attention it deservers..and somehow needs.

Well, what I'd propose is to edit the Wikipedia page.

I use Wiki as a reference quite a lot and ArmA's entry is just horrible...

Hi all

The advertisement of Track IR shows how it needs to be done on the Pro side from BIS. That is the kind of Ammunition people need to advertise ArmA in other communites.

Kind Regards walker

Hi all

The advertisement of Track IR shows how it needs to be done on the Pro side from BIS. That is the kind of Ammunition people need to advertise ArmA in other communites.

Kind Regards walker

almost 9 000 views in youtube and more than 20 000 for teaser so I think it's advertising both, Arma2 and TIR5 pretty well :p

In almost every game I've played other than obviously ArmA-OFP I've spread the word an then spread it some more. What sux is the well deal between BIS an them other guys an ppl refering to OFP(new) as the actual sequel to OFP an get the mix up with ArmA/ArmAII. Then u got those that don't believe in sim an want to run n gun, which I absolutly despise now. An the funny thing too is I go into say Gamestop an ask about info on ArmA an now ArmAII an they look at me like they've never heard of it or worse they do a search for it an can't find any info on it. A lil TV time here in the states would'nt hurt but well as I see all kinds of games advertised on tv commercials an such but I don't even recall seeing OFP ever on a commercial in the US. I'm just happy it was a game I bought an took a chance an turned out being well u know. But seeing what ArmA is an the endless possibilities an things to come with ArmAII a lil US PR would not hurt. Just my 2cents worth.

Call, any chance of a few little paragraphs in the future? :p

I think any TV commercial is very unlikely - these things cost a lot and sadly I don't think BIS has the finances :(

Hi Guys,

I've been following this game since ofp and to that effect I can’t wait for their next upcoming title Arma2. That said, I do work for GameTrailers and I am sure we can do something for Arma2. Please send me a pm. I trust if you know the person responsible for their marketing you can certainly direct them my way and we will figure something out. Many thanks.:)

Hi Guys,

I've been following this game since ofp and to that effect I can’t wait for their next upcoming title Arma2. That said, I do work for GameTrailers and I am sure we can do something for Arma2. Please send me a pm. I trust if you know the person responsible for their marketing you can certainly direct them my way and we will figure something out. Many thanks.:)

Just go ahead and drop a PM to Maruk or Suma ;)

I think some people should spread the word with care. ;) Don't want to talk about it in front of some idiot who will only get frustrated with the simulation part of the game and teamkill.

Google NATO Defacto vbs2

below info is mainly result of my own effort so if someone knows

informations not yet included with factual background, then please share

VBS2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VBS2#VBS2_customers

VBS1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VBS1#VBS1_customers

anyway i suggest use wisely any remarks about VBS1,VBS2,Darwars Ambush! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DARWARS_Ambush!_Convoy_Simulator and Darwars Game After Ambush

they are serious simulations for serious work usage (training of personell)

while ArmA 2 is game where people should have fun and enjoy it

anyway spreading the word about ArmA 2 in gaming communities and game e-magazines and paper magazines is probably the best way

Edited by Dwarden

one of the best ways of advertisement is word of mouth , but and also compertitons , picking ten game magazines magazines or newpapers which have game colums and offering a compertiton to give ten arma 2 games away to ten lucky winners for each magazine newpaper chosen for the promotion (maybe even game shops ),

which works out to 100 games for a great amount of advertisement ,

timing also makes sense to coinside with the release of the game (like one month before release) but also depends on the size of the campaign ..,

I should think their PR company they are using would implement tactics such as these , a good PR team can make anything work which boils down to contacts .....

well maybe i was thinking more of the xbox 360 ? as i know games sell more to the console than they do to pc well in the usa and westen europe , then again i could be wrong .... blockbuster in the usa is a big chain of stores i always hear friends on xbox live talking about getting their game there .

Edited by cnickcj

Australia and New Zealand have been a unique community because of the lack of official advertising, i guess it would be good to see a change for Arma II

I think there should be more previews in well-known magazines.

Stuff like IGN, Gamespot, Gamespy etc. They sure blow ass through a straw usually but they reach a lot of people and therefore can generate a lot of attention.

I ofcourse try to promote not only ArmA but any realistic tactical shooter through word of mouth, and i usually get a lot of good response when i talk about all the features ArmA has: ricochets, hundreds of soldiers in battles, huge islands and equally huge view distances etc.

Almost everybody is like 'oh wow, that sounds amazing! I'd like to see or play that game!' and then i say 'but ofcourse it is a simulator so you die from 1 shot if you get hit'.

Then they are like 'oh.' and immediately attention fades away.

"Oh, i have to work to make kills and stay alive? It's not being spoon-fed to me? Oh.. Well, i kinda like Call of Duty and Battlefield 2 you know, they are very realistic too!"

I then procede to facepalm.

Here guys:

I made some epic update rushes on a bunch of forums i frequent:

Overclockers club:

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=162033&st=0&gopid=1676547entry1676547

Overclockers Australia:

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=603239&page=2

insurgency forums:

http://forums.insmod.net/index.php?showtopic=11597&st=40

and one on bitgamer as well.

If you want the template from these posts for other forums just send me a pm and I'll send you some text documents with all the work done already :)

If anyone here is a member of ausgamers, IGN etc i highly recommend you make the same posts on there. I also have a post I made that you can use to create a topic about arma II if one doesn't exist. I made that particular post on bitgamer but I doubt many people here have access to the site to be able to see it. If tou want that particular post, again, just send me a pm.

Edited by cm

Yea this is true in that when ever I introduce anyone to this game they are simply blown away at not only the visuals but at the difference in gameplay. Most are not even aware that something like this exists and they simply jump at the fact that theres another option out there that isn't so "arcadedly" oriented.

I hope our members here can spread the word. I'm doing it simply because I want to have BIS around in the distant future and because I know that once people play their new game - they won't want to turn back.

I've noticed that you have to choose your words carefull when telling people about Arma 2, because it's so radically different from other "military themed" games like COD4 and BF2. Most gamers expect certain arcadish features from a modern comuputer game, because they are used to a certain formula in game design.

Even in this forum people have been asking about "unit classes", "ranking systems" and "achievements". Nowadays almost every game comes with these artificial motivators to keep people playing despite limited and monotonous game designs. Arma (2) doesn't really need these things, because the game provides almost endless variety out of the box.

Unfortunately, it's really hard to make people understand this, because the common game design formula is being used in so many games that people can't imagine a game without rankings and achievements.

You forgot the fact that a lot of peps simply do not like the "serious gaming" and will never like it. Even if you could make missions in ArmA which doing exactly the same like other games, it won't attract them, they simply want to slaughter something and in the end they want a high rank/score.

You forgot the fact that a lot of peps simply do not like the "serious gaming" and will never like it. Even if you could make missions in ArmA which doing exactly the same like other games, it won't attract them, they simply want to slaughter something and in the end they want a high rank/score.

Surely that's the case, but you'd be surprised how many people actually enjoy the non-arcadishness of OFP/ArmA once they get into it. I remember a few years back (around 2002-2003), I was often participating in small LANs with 8-10 people who almost exclusively played Counterstrike and Battlefield. One day a friend and I decided to introduce them to OFP. They didn't like it at first, but once they got used to the pacing, it slowly turned into our primary LAN game.

All it takes is a little bit of patience and persuasion to break people out of their mold and show them the appeal of a slow-paced game like Arma 2.

Maybe they could market Arma 2 as a mix of combat sim and little big planet style user created content awesome :D

Mm the primary way the word of Ofp's greatness spread was with that Pcgamer demo and word of mouth Imo. :)

Some people dislike the slow pace of the game but some people haven't found out that they like the game and never heard of it, its a bit sad cause Arma 2 really deserves to get the big sales imo.

Some players apreaciate the tight coop feel of the game and some like the sometimes more frantic warefare and player vs player interaction missions. :)

Edited by Commando84
coop