Sign in to follow this  
dslyecxi

TrackIR 5 ArmA2 Thread!

Wait, despite my late responce, can anyone explain how Dyslexy got to play this game so early?

Yes, there are a number of beta testers in the BIS community, and from that video it is readily apparent that Dslyecxi is one of them. You could guess that most of the Moderators (if not all) are beta testers. Other members who barely post here, but make other contributions to the BIS community are also probably beta testers.

They will not, however, give you any inside info on the game that they may or may not have over the rest of us. They are under strict Non-Disclosure Agreements that prevent them from doing so. Just because they've played the game doesn't mean they can tell you anything about their experiences with it, unless sanctioned by BIS.

Edited by Red_Barron

Just a quick OT about the testers...IDEA games were hiring testers for ArmA II about two months ago. And they received a LOT OF requests....

In my opinion, I think it's stupid to waste 150 dollars on something that you can do by double pressing alt and then either using your mouse or the numpad keys.

Hi Litos

Used

double pressing alt and then either using your mouse or the numpad keys
been there done that worn the T shirt.

Not as good as TrackIR though.

If you have not used TrackIR. You have a limited basis on which to base an opinion.

I on the other hand along with all the other users of TrackIR have no such limit.

In my opinion, it is the dog's bollocks. (English vernacular for it is the best) :bounce3:

Kind regards walker

In my opinion, I think it's stupid to waste 150 dollars on something that you can do by double pressing alt and then either using your mouse or the numpad keys.

In my opinion, there are two types of people when it comes to TrackIR - those who get the concept and benefits, and those who don't. I think you fall into the later. ;)

I did the best I could to explain the concept/benefits in the video. Not sure what more can be said to explain how your "2x-alt" is not the same execution as the TIR. :)

i see it as more of a class struggle, those who can afford the luxury and those who can't afford it :p

Hi, thanks for a great link and an even better reveiw of this headset. Things like this I would never had known were available. Quick question if I may, as an infantryman does the head movement only work horizontaly and as a pilot work horizontaly + verticly?

I did notice when you started shooting at teh enemy runing down the road they just kept running at you and didnt drop to the floor or dart off somewhere or fire back.

edit - I just showed the footage to a friend and she mentiond that as she wears glasses it might not work aswel as teh view isnt as clear if you turn your head. Any glasses wearing people have any feedback on teh ease of use of the product.

Edited by chrismvts

Hi, thanks for a great link and an even better reveiw of this headset. Things like this I would never had known were available. Quick question if I may, as an infantryman does the head movement only work horizontaly and as a pilot work horizontaly + verticly?

Thanks, glad you liked it. To answer your question - you can look up/down/left/right as a pilot, vehicle crewman, infantry, etc. You're not limited to left/right as an infantryman.

I did notice when you started shooting at teh enemy runing down the road they just kept running at you and didnt drop to the floor or dart off somewhere or fire back.

A few things to note about that:

1) I had a suppressed weapon

2) I could barely be seen

3) It's a very short clip; I don't think I actually hit one of the enemy until the last split-second of it

The clip is too short to show what happened after that. The AI are more than capable of reacting quickly to enemy presence, though. That's not the best display of it, however, since (as noted) the odds were not in their favor.

edit - I just showed the footage to a friend and she mentiond that as she wears glasses it might not work aswel as teh view isnt as clear if you turn your head. Any glasses wearing people have any feedback on teh ease of use of the product.

I wore glasses when I first had a TIR. Worked fine - never noticed an issue with that.

In my opinion, there are two types of people when it comes to TrackIR - those who get the concept and benefits, and those who don't. I think you fall into the later. ;)

I did the best I could to explain the concept/benefits in the video. Not sure what more can be said to explain how your "2x-alt" is not the same execution as the TIR. :)

I still think there's not that great of a difference between 2x-alt and trackir. Trackir might be nicer to use, yes, because you don't have to focus on using the mouse to turn around (or numpad) or losing control of your body. But for example when standing still, and not needing your weapon, it's not a problem. When in a vehicle, it isn't a problem either. In an aircraft it isnt a problem too - Personally, when engaging, I dont go looking around me, I focus on my target.

Tilting - once again, E and Q. Yes, with trackIR you can manage the tilt level but once again it's not that of a big deal.

TrackIR would be amazing if you had 3 monitors around you. But with one, it seems a bit uncomfortable turning your head yet still keeping your eyes on the screen, as well as a bit unnatural, and the fact that turning your head 30 degrees turns it onto the whole 70 or so in the game (although that's not a biggie).

I would gladly buy this hardware for 30 dollars at max, but 150... Too much for too little.

Despite the fact that most people are against my posts on the forum, I will still hold onto my opinion. Even if I use trackIR it would still not prove any of it different because by most what I've said is a fact, it's just that TrackIR users have gotten used to it and aren't minding it at all. But I don't see it as such a big significance to the gameplay, and if you're quick and focused enough, you can very well manage to do the same thing with your keyboard, without messing up.

-LiTos

I still think there's not that great of a difference between 2x-alt and trackir.

There is a huge difference between that, and TrackIR. There are plenty of people here who will tell you precisely that. Whether you choose to ignore them is up to you.

But for example when standing still, and not needing your weapon, it's not a problem. When in a vehicle, it isn't a problem either. In an aircraft it isnt a problem too

The video gives many examples of how you can do things with a TIR that aren't feasible with your proposed 'solution'. I would love to see someone fly a Littlebird the way I do without a TrackIR, as one example. You simply can't do it, because you don't have the kind of situational awareness as with a TIR.

Personally, when engaging, I dont go looking around me, I focus on my target.

If you're shooting at someone, of course you'd focus on them. That's a strawman argument if I've ever heard one. The point of the TIR is not to "look away from the enemy while fighting him", it's to be able to very easily maintain situational awareness while fighting the enemy. It helps you avoid being flanked or surprised, helps to reduce your visual signature (no full-body movements required, which can give you away easily in adversarial), allows you to more tightly coordinate with your teammates, and soooo much more.

TrackIR would be amazing if you had 3 monitors around you.

One of the coolest things about TrackIR is that once you have it and use it, you find yourself caring less about having 'three monitors'. I know that's the case for me - I can look anywhere around me at any time with absolute ease. On a widescreen monitor like mine, combined with TrackIR, I don't see a need for two other monitors. TIR covers me just fine.

But with one, it seems a bit uncomfortable turning your head yet still keeping your eyes on the screen, as well as a bit unnatural,

Not true at all. Again, there are plenty of people in this forum who will back me up on that. I have never had any kind of eye or head/neck strain from using a TrackIR. It's simply not a strain. It's totally natural; it's second nature.

I would gladly buy this hardware for 30 dollars at max, but 150... Too much for too little.

Your misunderstanding of the TIR tech and benefits would of course make you not want to spend money on it. That's not a surprise. :)

Despite the fact that most people are against my posts on the forum, I will still hold onto my opinion.

You're entitled to your opinion, as are we. Nobody's trying to stop you from posting.

Even if I use trackIR it would still not prove any of it different because by most what I've said is a fact,

A fact, eh? You like using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means, though. Is this the same kind of "fact" as the one you proposed in another thread, where you claimed it was "proven" that ArmA2 did not have moving-while-reloading, since I didn't explicitly show it in my video? That "fact" was wrong. What's to say that your new "facts" aren't wrong as well? And how are you in a position to state such supposed facts, since you have no hands-on experience with this kind of head-tracking device, and demonstrate a rather clear misunderstanding of how the TIR differs from using normal mouse-controlled freelook? :confused:

But I don't see it as such a big significance to the gameplay, and if you're quick and focused enough, you can very well manage to do the same thing with your keyboard, without messing up.

This simply isn't true. It's fine, though - your opinion, you're entitled to it, nobody's going to take your opinion away from you, no matter how wrong they may think it is. :D

Cheers again Dslecxi for your reply. Im glad people like yourself take the time to put reviews like this up. not only is it a good review but it actually shows some good footage of the game (which is the best footage Ive seen of it detail looks great). I think not ever used the hardware that if you can afford it its a nice extra feature and I can see it could definatly help in the game play especialy sniping as you dont have to move your body to look around like you said. The amount of times in games I notice people hiding in bushes because ther upper torso is twisting and waving a gun out the bush (then called a "wallhacking cheater how did you see me" followed by a swift you have been baned from server screen):D If Im honest when I first joind the forum I wasnt convinced about this game but the more I see of it the more interested Ive become.

A fact, eh? You like using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means, though. Is this the same kind of "fact" as the one you proposed in another thread, where you claimed it was "proven" that ArmA2 did not have moving-while-reloading, since I didn't explicitly show it in my video? That "fact" was wrong. What's to say that your new "facts" aren't wrong as well? And how are you in a position to state such supposed facts, since you have no hands-on experience with this kind of head-tracking device, and demonstrate a rather clear misunderstanding of how the TIR differs from using normal mouse-controlled freelook? :confused:

Okay, the fact part didn't come out right. And I did apologize for using your video as a proof for a false statement.

I'll have to retreat at this point - unfortunately I am afraid I can't argue further for the same reason as you say, I've had no hands on experience with TrackIR. I would love to try it out, and to be honest I would love to see for myself that I'm wrong - although at this point I still can't change my opinion because I am fine with double alt. I am guessing I'm supposed to be extremely impressed with trackir performance, but I wish I could actually try it before buying, which I can't do since my budget is very low, but if I had the money to buy anything I wanted it would probably be somewhere on the bottom of my list.

Not to say that trackir is bad, I just think it's a bit unnecessary. At least for the time being.

Thanks for the enjoyable argument though. I was actually very interested when I saw your video, but when I saw the price I was disappointed. I think it's a bit over priced but only for the things it does, the price is fair the the technology it implements though.

Oh well. Hopefully one day I'll get the chance to try it out myself.

It's like the old saying: "don't knock it, till you try it". Criticism helps, but since Litos is the only one who is doing it, and he is without the Track IR, well, it's not that effective. I don't see anyone with Track IR complaining. Sounds like a pretty useful device, I hope something like that will be implemented in future gen console gaming, or maybe even in this gen...

I wear Glasses and love my TrackIR 4 Pro. I restart if I forget to turn it on before I game. The only small issue I had was looking down mainly when parachuting I would go out side the field of view of my glasses but this was fixed with in 1 min when I modified the y axis to suit my glasses real easy. That the best bit you can use the default profiles or mod them to suit your game play. :)

Following this 'argument' I decided to go into ArmA and do a convoy attack mission with a cobra funcopter. I wanted to use double alt to look around.

It wasn't too hard, but I could imagine it would be definately better with TrackIR. I'm guessing the point of it is so that you can leave most focus on your targets and the flying, than looking around. Trying to turn my head and picturing the game reacting seemed well... As I said earlier, I'd get it for that, it seems to be even fun besides useful, and I do think 150 dollars is a good price for the technology, but the thing is I dont have that kind of money.

If I did, in my 'list' it would follow ArmA2, DoF, CPU and G11. So 5th :P But if I want to get all of that I'd need a load of cash. =\

To my understanding, with a Tack IR, you will become more flexible, and tend to have a high chance of survival.

Yes, I guess that's a great way to put it.

I predict that flying in a tricky situation would be useful with this...

I imagine if I had the money, I'd probably already have TrackIR. Unfortunately over a year ago when I had a better paying job, I didn't even know of it's existence, or ArmA for that matter :(.

There's only one PC monitor on the market right now that supports the 120Hz refresh rate required by these glasses, and that's Samsung's 22-inch SyncMaster 2233RZ.

Meh. Looks great though.

To my understanding, with a Tack IR, you will become more flexible, and tend to have a high chance of survival.

Head tracking breaks fundamental Marine weapons handling and driving rules;

'Guns ’n’ eyeballs' (always keep your gun pointing where you're looking)

'Keep your eyes on the road'

So unless it is used very sparingly, it is quite possible that it actually reduces your chance of survival.