Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

The gtx460 is sufficient to play on 1920x1200 with decent settings (I do that on a gtx260). If you get a faster card you can play on even higher resolutions or with lots of anti-aliasing and other gpu settings really high. In arma2 you can put the 3d resolution above 100% to get sharpness you cant get with just aa. So with the appropriate settings there's always a use for a faster gpu.

The 5870 and 6870 have about the same price/performance, if you're choosing between those I'd get the 6870 just because it's a newer design with better compute and tesselation performance.

the 6850 is in between the 460 and the 6870. Basically all cards seem to have about the same price/performance. That's how ati/nvidia set the price. You'll just have to decide how much you want to spend on a gpu. For arma it's not that important (at least for gtx460 and higher) compared to the cpu. You'll easily find settings that look good and run well. All slowdowns will probably be because the cpu is busy.

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

if the new SB MOBO are not to much maybe I will just get the new SB/mobo I think it will be new 1155 socket. No infrom how much the MOBO will cost. Do you have a clue! thanks and take care.

I suspect a decent P67 board to be about 140eu, maybe 15-25 euro's more than a comparable P55 board. Some prices are already listed, like these

The i5-2500k will probably be about 200eu. 30 above i5-750 prices. Although I haven't seen them for sale yet, so they could get a bit more expensive.

The gtx460 is sufficient to play on 1920x1200 with decent settings (I do that on a gtx260). If you get a faster card you can play on even higher resolutions or with lots of anti-aliasing and other gpu settings really high.

The resolution and amount of anti-aliasing you're going to have, depends VERY much over the amount of V-RAM your card has. For an example with a 512MB card you will not run almost any game after 2005 with 1920x1080 resolution and 4x FSAA nor MSAA. You'll need to have atleast 1GB card for almost good performance when going up to 1920x1200 resolution without AA. After that you need 1,5GB and 2GB cards.

The resolution and amount of anti-aliasing you're going to have, depends VERY much over the amount of V-RAM your card has. For an example with a 512MB card you will not run almost any game after 2005 with 1920x1080 resolution and 4x FSAA nor MSAA. You'll need to have atleast 1GB card for almost good performance when going up to 1920x1200 resolution without AA. After that you need 1,5GB and 2GB cards.

While it's true that a card with a lot of vram performs better on high resolution than the same card with less vram, you do not need 1GB for good performance on 1920x1080. A 460 1gb is on average only 10% faster than the 786 mb version on 1920x1080. (and that's probably because of more memory bandwith instead of ammount of memory) A radeon 4870 512MB will still run any game on 1920x1080 as long as you dont go crazy with the aa.

There are some situations where you can be vram limited. 2 5870's in crossfire running metro 2033 on 2560x1440 maxxed out or something. You'll end up with barely any fps.

I am looking to do a complete system overhaul in the coming months. I am currently running:

1) Q6600 @3.2Ghz

2) Radeon 5850 @ 5870 speeds

3) 4GB Dual Channel PC2-8000 RAM.

I kind of 'put up with' the framerate dipping to around 20fps here and there, especially in tight urban areas or areas with lots of people and vehicles. I believe this is a limit imposed by the CPU as I understand this to be a very CPU-intensive game at times - lowering the resolution to 50% or lower also yields no performance improvement, confirming this to be the case.

So my question is, compared to my current system, what kind of diffence would the following upgrades make:

1) Sandy Bridge 2500K @ 4Ghz+. Any point in opting for the 2600K on this game? Does it make any use of the Hyper Threading and extra cache?

2) Geforce GTX 570. Or would I be better opting for another 5850 and Crossfiring? I will most likely upgrade the rest of the system first and see how my single 5850 copes.

3) 4GB/6GB of fastest available RAM for SB motherboard when the time comes. Would there be any advantage of 6GB or 8GB over 4GB on Arma 2? Would it ever actually use the extra RAM? I understand some processors require Triple Channel setups rather than Dual Channel setups.

Other bits and bobs that may be of interest. My system has an ASUS Xonar D2X soundcard and the game is installed on an OCZ Vertex 2E SSD. My current monitor runs at a resolution of 1920 x 1080 but I do review monitors with higher resolutions every now and then. This isn't a game I usually use to test them out so I suppose that is neither here nor there. ;)

Edited by n00b1

hey guys, hope this is the right topic to post this in. I have just come back to playing Arma2 :OA and have bought the BAF addon which is fantastic I have to say. Well done to those involved.

I have a question about upgrading my PC.

Current set up is :

AMD 955 CPU

radeon 1GB 4890 VC

8GB DDR2 800 Memory

Giga-Byte M720-US3 Motherboard.

My question is that I have around £160 to upgrade my PC so that Arma runs nice at all settings at Highest. Do i splash out on a new Graphics card 5870+ etc or do i upgrade my motherboard so that it can take DDR3 memory?(buying the memory aswell ofcourse)

I am looking to do a complete system overhaul in the coming months. I am currently running:

1) Q6600 @3.2Ghz

2) Radeon 5850 @ 5870 speeds

3) 4GB Dual Channel PC2-8000 RAM.

I kind of 'put up with' the framerate dipping to around 20fps here and there, especially in tight urban areas or areas with lots of people and vehicles. I believe this is a limit imposed by the CPU as I understand this to be a very CPU-intensive game at times - lowering the resolution to 50% or lower also yields no performance improvement, confirming this to be the case.

So my question is, compared to my current system, what kind of diffence would the following upgrades make:

1) Sandy Bridge 2500K @ 4Ghz+. Any point in opting for the 2600K on this game? Does it make any use of the Hyper Threading and extra cache?

2) Geforce GTX 570. Or would I be better opting for another 5850 and Crossfiring? I will most likely upgrade the rest of the system first and see how my single 5850 copes.

3) 4GB/6GB of fastest available RAM for SB motherboard when the time comes. Would there be any advantage of 6GB or 8GB over 4GB on Arma 2? Would it ever actually use the extra RAM? I understand some processors require Triple Channel setups rather than Dual Channel setups.

Other bits and bobs that may be of interest. My system has an ASUS Xonar D2X soundcard and the game is installed on an OCZ Vertex 2E SSD. My current monitor runs at a resolution of 1920 x 1080 but I do review monitors with higher resolutions every now and then. This isn't a game I usually use to test them out so I suppose that is neither here nor there. ;)

1, arma will not have any use for hyperthreading, I dont think the extra 2 mb cache will do that much. but you can always wait for the benchmarks.

2, I have no experience with crossfire but a lot of people here have and only a few are happy with the performance/drivers. I would just keep the 5850, probably runs fine.

3, you'll want to run dual channel (no triple channel on 1155 boards) with the P67 motherboards. Ram is so dirt cheap now, if you want more than 4GB just get 8GB on 2 dimms (2x4GB).

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

hey guys, hope this is the right topic to post this in. I have just come back to playing Arma2 :OA and have bought the BAF addon which is fantastic I have to say. Well done to those involved.

I have a question about upgrading my PC.

Current set up is :

AMD 955 CPU

radeon 1GB 4890 VC

8GB DDR2 800 Memory

Giga-Byte M720-US3 Motherboard.

My question is that I have around £160 to upgrade my PC so that Arma runs nice at all settings at Highest. Do i splash out on a new Graphics card 5870+ etc or do i upgrade my motherboard so that it can take DDR3 memory?(buying the memory aswell ofcourse)

your cpu is a Phenom II 955 ? if not that's the logical upgrade. You cant run arma2 on highest settings and have good framerates on any pc by the way. Getting ddr3 wont do a thing. Getting a big gpu will allow you to increase resolution, aa, anisotropic and postprocessing. But to upgrade from a 4890 and really notice it you'll indeed need something like a 6870/5870 or higher.

If you dont mind getting an overall system upgrade instead of just a game upgrade you could look at a ssd. They'll speed up load times on everything.

yeah its a Phenom II 955 I have. Thanks fo the info bud,I shall look at a new VC in the new year.

Thanks Leon. Think I will probably go for the 2500K and 4GB dual channel initially and take it from there. I am pretty that the CPU is limiting performance in some areas given the fact that altering the graphics settings does nothing to improve this.

I recently inherited a newer system: Core 2 Quad Q6600 with 6 gigs RAM

I'm wondering what is the best video card worth getting for this CPU. I'm thinking that with the higher end cards the CPU will be the bottleneck. I usually buy nVidia, but I'm open to ATI.

there's no actual bottleneck, it depends on settings and the mission you're playing. On 2560x1600 with 8xAA, post, shadows and anisotropic on full, 2500 vd, low model and low terrain detail on a mission with not too many units you'll make full use of a gtx580.

You'll just have to decide for yourself how much you want to pay for your card. Anything up from gtx460 will be able to run it nicely with the appropriate settings.

Hi all. I am debating on purchasing this today. Would this work well for ARMA 2? I'm not so knowledgeable on computer hardware so I hope some of you may be able to help me...

I want to run ARMA on high settings, also games like Starcraft 2 / Shogun 2 Total War (when it comes out), racing sims like iRacing as well.

I am planning on using my 32'' LCD tv as my monitor and my surround sound / stereo speakers.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.549053

• AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor (Model: HDZ965FBGMBOX)
  • ASUS EVO AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 AMD Motherboard (Model: M4A87TD)
  • GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card (Model: GV-N460OC-1GI)
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (Model: F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM)
  • Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (Model: WD5001AALS)
  • SAMSUNG 22x DVD+/-R CD/DVD Burner Black SATA (Model: SH-S223C) - OEM
  • COOLER MASTER HAF 922 Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (Model: RC-922M-KKN1-GP)
  • CORSAIR 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply (Model: CMPSU-650TX)

Edited by ryyy

Hi all. I am debating on purchasing this today. Would this work well for ARMA 2? I'm not so knowledgeable on computer hardware so I hope some of you may be able to help me...

I want to run ARMA on high settings, also games like Starcraft 2 / Shogun 2 Total War (when it comes out), racing sims like iRacing as well.

Hi I just want to say the Phenom II X4 965 is a great processor, and I've heard good things about the EVO mobo lots of room for expansion.

Hey guys, I'm stuck between choosing two graphics cards and just wanted to get some input... Should I get the GeForce GTX 460, or the Radeon HD 6870? If i can fork up the extra cash, then i may consider a HD 5870.

Thnx

Hey guys, I'm stuck between choosing two graphics cards and just wanted to get some input... Should I get the GeForce GTX 460, or the Radeon HD 6870? If i can fork up the extra cash, then i may consider a HD 5870.

Thnx

Can you wait for GTX 560? If you can, wait for it. Otherwise get SLI evga GTX 460.

Can you wait for GTX 560? If you can, wait for it. Otherwise get SLI evga GTX 460.

Unfortunately thats too out of my budget... :( I guess I'll get the gtx 460 then.

Why would you say that! Do you have SLI in your system right now! Are you just talking to talk! I hate the fact that people like jake and myself come here to get input about what will work the best in a budget system and people like you just talk. Yes it would be great to have the best of the best like the i7-980 with a gtx 580 and SSD in a system to play this game.

I was told right from the developers that SLI and crossfire does not work that great with ARMA2 like it does in other games. He would not get a good cost/performance benefit from that. Jake just get the best card that you can buy in your budget. If you can wait a few more weeks/months then save and get the 5870 that will be the best.

The 560 is ranging from ~$350.00 low end -550.00 high end.

The 5870 is ranging from ~$250.00 low end -400.00 high end.

The 6870 is ranging from ~$210.00 low end -275.00 high end.

The 460 is ranging from ~$150.00 low end -250.00 high end.

PS. His system only cost ~ $500.00. Jake you would get more benefit to add more RAM going from 4 gb that you have to 8gb and later add a SSD for ARMA2 files and your done with that system. I would not put anymore money into it.

PS. One of the developers told me that the best card to use crossfire would be the 6870 at this time. It has the best cost/perfromance Ratio but still just get the best single card you can.

Edited by AVIBIRD 1

there's no actual bottleneck, it depends on settings and the mission you're playing. On 2560x1600 with 8xAA, post, shadows and anisotropic on full, 2500 vd, low model and low terrain detail on a mission with not too many units you'll make full use of a gtx580.

You'll just have to decide for yourself how much you want to pay for your card. Anything up from gtx460 will be able to run it nicely with the appropriate settings.

That's true... I suppose I won't be playing with anything more than 1280x1024 with 2xAA, and with other settings maxed (except view distance, and PP). I guess a gtx460 should be more than sufficient for this.

Happy new year to all!

Still waiting to see how much things are going to drop in cost when the new i7-2600 hits the market in the next 2 weeks.

If the cost is not to much over my budget I may just go with the new i7-260 (~317.00) but I have no clue what a MOBO will cost.????????????

What is the best to run ARMA2/OA I am so lost lol my budget his ~1000.00 for the system.

SETUP one: Will be the i7-950 @ 3.06 ghz, HD 5870 1 gb, standard HHD RPM 7200 RPM with SATA 6.0Gb/s, Cache 32MB,Average Latency 4.2ms, Capacity 500GB and a MOBO that will cost around $200.00 that has next generation data transfer technologies – USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s. All this will cost ~ $815.00

SETUP two: Will be Phenum 2 x 4 965 deneb @ 3.4 ghz, HD 5870, AM3 MOBO with next generation data transfer technologies – USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s. ~ 110.00. and SSD for arma2/ and standard HDD.

All this will cost ~ 680.00

SETUP three: Will be the phenum 2 x 6 1100t thuban @ 3.3 ghz, HD 5870, MOBO and standard HDD.

All this will cost ~685.00

I have pick out the PSU,case dvd, ram that will run ~ 270.00

setup 1 = $1085.00

setup 2 = $950.00

setup 3 = $965.00

My budget was set for ~ 1000.00 not including a good keyboard,mouse,ARMA2/OA game, a good head set, a Wireless Gaming Adapter to allow the use of a gamepad and Xpadder software to setup the gamepad with all of the keys/mouse fucntions.

What do you think my best setup to run the game! I like good feedback thanks.

Hello, what should I do to upgrade my PC to play ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead without lag on an higher resolution.

Right now I play on 1024x768 and run it with 30fps when I am lucky. Most of times it is lower from 20-28 fps. AA and Post Proccesing etc are disabled.

I'd like to play it atleast on 1280x1024 (My monitor can't go higher ) with a nice FPS...

I have €240/€260 to spend

My PC specs are:

Motherboard: Asus M4A78-AM

Processor: AMD Athlon II X2 250 @3000MHz

Memory: 2048MB (1x 2048DDR2-SDRAM)

Graphic card: ATI Radeon HD4650 (1gb)

Thnx

This is an excellent review site and the "Best Graphics Cards For The Money" is updated MONTHLY:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-recommendation-upgrade,2803.html

Happy new year to all!

Still waiting to see how much things are going to drop in cost when the new i7-2600 hits the market in the next 2 weeks.

If the cost is not to much over my budget I may just go with the new i7-260 (~317.00) but I have no clue what a MOBO will cost.????????????

What is the best to run ARMA2/OA I am so lost lol my budget his ~1000.00 for the system.

SETUP one: Will be the i7-950 @ 3.06 ghz, HD 5870 1 gb, standard HHD RPM 7200 RPM with SATA 6.0Gb/s, Cache 32MB,Average Latency 4.2ms, Capacity 500GB and a MOBO that will cost around $200.00 that has next generation data transfer technologies – USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s. All this will cost ~ $815.00

SETUP two: Will be Phenum 2 x 4 965 deneb @ 3.4 ghz, HD 5870, AM3 MOBO with next generation data transfer technologies – USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s. ~ 110.00. and SSD for arma2/ and standard HDD.

SETUP three: Will be the phenum 2 x 6 1100t thuban @ 3.3 ghz, HD 5870, MOBO and standard HDD.

setup 1 = $1085.00

setup 2 = $950.00

setup 3 = $965.00

My budget was set for ~ 1000.00 not including a good keyboard,mouse,ARMA2/OA game, a good head set, a Wireless Gaming Adapter to allow the use of a gamepad and Xpadder software to setup the gamepad with all of the keys/mouse fucntions.

A P67 motherboard will be compable in cost to a current P55 motherboard, so expect them to be quite a bit cheaper than X58 motherboards.

If you're buying this rig mainly for arma I think the i5-2500K and a good cooler would be the best choice. Game performance will probably be on par with the i7 and you'll save 100eu to spend on the gpu for example.

sata-600 doesnt do anything for normal harddisks. just get the spinpoint f3 or some other 7200rpm drive that's not too expensive.

Not sure why you'd want an 5870. Price and performace wise it's right in between the 6870 and the 6950. And that's only a 45 euro gap. I'm sure either will be the better choice.

Happy new year to all!

setup 1 = $1085.00

setup 2 = $950.00

setup 3 = $965.00

Avid, I don't get you, You ask over and over what you should get, when the new processor drops prices are not going to go down right away it's gonna take time. Another thing You give everyone advice but you don't even have a gaming pc and havent played arma 2 yet. You where amature and now act like you know everything pc. You made a bunch of debate threads about Arma coming over to the 360. But anyways got with option one but get a nvidia gpu.

Hello, what should I do to upgrade my PC to play ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead without lag on an higher resolution.

Right now I play on 1024x768 and run it with 30fps when I am lucky. Most of times it is lower from 20-28 fps. AA and Post Proccesing etc are disabled.

I'd like to play it atleast on 1280x1024 (My monitor can't go higher ) with a nice FPS...

I have €240/€260 to spend

My PC specs are:

Motherboard: Asus M4A78-AM

Processor: AMD Athlon II X2 250 @3000MHz

Memory: 2048MB (1x 2048DDR2-SDRAM)

Graphic card: ATI Radeon HD4650 (1gb)

The cpu isn't that powerfull but the gpu is probably the slowest component. So I'd suggest upgrading that. On that resolution a gtx460 is probably enough for a decent framerate.

Other cards within budget are hd6850, hd6870, gtx470, hd6950.

make sure the PSU in your computer is big enough to handle the new card, or get a new psu as well.

another 2gb ram will also improve performance. As woud a phenomIIx4 processor.

Avid, I don't get you, You ask over and over what you should get, when the new processor drops prices are not going to go down right away it's gonna take time. Another thing You give everyone advice but you don't even have a gaming pc and havent played arma 2 yet. You where amature and now act like you know everything pc. You made a bunch of debate threads about Arma coming over to the 360. But anyways got with option one but get a nvidia gpu.

Hey, not to start a fight with you but Lets get a few things Straight!

1. I have been play pc games when you were still getting milk from your mom:p

2. Yes, I am currently playing ARMA2/OA on a old system- AMD dual core 2.1 ghz with 4 gb of ram and ATI 3100 vid card :eek: Yes it does suck balls but I can still play the game.

3. When I ask questions here it's to get feedback so I can look up the information to see if it's true (I like to do my own homework). Yes your right I have no clue about PC hardware but I do know a lot more now then three weeks ago.

4. Every thing I have stated as a fact I have gotten from the developers. Yes, the game egnige likes intel CPU's better and the game does not utilize SLI and crossfire proficient at this time. The game right now runs better on a faster dual then a slower quad core but maybe not so in future with more upgrades to the game/egnige ect.

5. I am trying to find the best BANG for the BUCK making a new system for ~ $1000.00 and a lot of people have Views on what is the best way. I want to here them and to make my own choice after I have time to look up the information. It's called education.

6. The cost of the i7 will need to come down B/C it will be to close to the new 15/I7- 2500/2600 (SB) this is a fact and if the I7 drop then AMD will have to drop some in the phenum 2 x4 and 6. This is just my view. We will see after the 9th if I was right.

7. This is dead, but BOHEMIA work hard on a XBOX port but it did not work. I had some good insight on this.

So I don't get you for trying to call me out on what.

I never gave advice based on my views I was only passing down the correct infomation that I got from some of the smarter forums members and the developers that I talk to. So lets not fight take care and have a good new year!

---------- Post added at 04:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 AM ----------

A P67 motherboard will be compable in cost to a current P55 motherboard, so expect them to be quite a bit cheaper than X58 motherboards.

If you're buying this rig mainly for arma I think the i5-2500K and a good cooler would be the best choice. Game performance will probably be on par with the i7 and you'll save 100eu to spend on the gpu for example.

sata-600 doesnt do anything for normal harddisks. just get the spinpoint f3 or some other 7200rpm drive that's not too expensive.

Not sure why you'd want an 5870. Price and performace wise it's right in between the 6870 and the 6950. And that's only a 45 euro gap. I'm sure either will be the better choice.

Leon thanks for all your feedback. I have been mastrbateing about the vid card and now I just looked at the 6970 vs 5870. I know the cost/performance ratio of the 6870 vs 5870 is not that much but for only 40.00 dollars more would it be worth it to get the 6970 over both of them.

The other thing I am mastrbateing about is i7-950 3.02 ghz vs phenum 970 3.5 ghz for almost half the cost. I am not going to OC and what I was told is the game depends on CPU power more then anything else. This can make you go nuts this game is like a drug lol.

PS. I do plan on getting a SSD if not with the this setup in the near future.

Edited by AVIBIRD 1

4. and the game does not utilize SLI and crossfire proficient at this time.

Arma 2 has issues with CF on the newer AMD cards (5xxx and 6xxx) but there is no problem with SLI that I am aware of.

Edited by BangTail