Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

I was getting ready to buy my hardware today!

CPU-I7-950

GPU-HD5870 OR THE HD6870

MOBO-ASUS P6X58D-E

The new sandy bridge CPU is out in ~ 2 more weeks and for almost the same money I can get the I7-2600S. Can this NEW CPU work on the ASUS P6X58D-E? Do I need A DIFF chipset! What is the deal! thank you.

Bangtail, What about vd and 3d resolution, I'm getting good frame rate but i'm having awful screen tearing. What is the contributer?

Try enabling vsync.

VD 3500, 3D Res 125%

Edited by BangTail

Bangtail, What about vd and 3d resolution, I'm getting good frame rate but i'm having awful screen tearing. What is the contributer?

Do you have Vsync on?

Alright so do you think a Sapphire HD 5770 will be enough to run ARMA 2 maxed out with good FPS? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102873&cm_re=sapphire_5770-_-14-102-873-_-Product

?

I have---

- Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

- Intel® Core i5-760 quad-core processor [2.8GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache]

-6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs]

-1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive

-Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer

Alright so do you think a Sapphire HD 5770 will be enough to run ARMA 2 maxed out with good FPS? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102873&cm_re=sapphire_5770-_-14-102-873-_-Product
No, it won't. Not at all. Nothing runs ArmA II "maxed out" with good fps. Here's a URL that was posted some pages back in this thread that shows it very well: link

?

I have---

- Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

- Intel® Core i5-760 quad-core processor [2.8GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache]

-6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs]

-1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive

-Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer

Not maxed out but you should get reasonable performance if you play with a mix of medium/high settings.

I am very CONFUSED right now! I have my new copy of ARMA2/OA in my hands but no PC to play :eek::(:mad:

I almost had all my parts pick out and was ready to buy. Then I was stpiud and looked up the new i7-2600 intel Sandy Bridge CPU and the release date is 1/9/11 just over two weeks :j:

1. Should I wait to see how much the i7-950 will drop.

2. If the price is what they say, then why not just buy the new CPU for a few more dollars!

The problem is the mobo. The new CPU will not work on the 1366 socket. The New Socket 1155/MOBO, I can't find any information on the Release date or Price. If the NEW CPU will be out 1/9/11 WTF. The Price of the CPU will not be that much more but if the new socket/MOBO are a few hundred more then I am done and will continue with My plan of the i7-950 with 1366.

Does anyone here have a clue what this new MOBO will cost for a slightly above ave not the top of the line MOBO.

I have a question for all the Smart People here. When talking about RAM which is better!

1. DDR3 1366 cas-7 tim 7-8-8-24

2. DDR3 1600 cas-6 tim 6-8-6-24

3. DDR3 1600 cas-7 tim 7-8-7-20

4. DDR3 2000 cas-9 tim 9-9-9-27

I need to know WHY. I want to understand

As far as the RAM goes, the rating (2000, 1600, etc) is the maximum FSB (FrontSide Bus) speed the RAM is rated at. The published timings you see next to the rating are the best possible timings when the RAM is running at max rated FSB. You can run RAM with a higher max FSB rating than your mobo's actual FSB speed (mhz), but you can't run RAM with a lower max FSB rating than your mobo's actual FSB speed. When you run RAM that has a max FSB rating that's higher then your mobo's FSB speed, you can usually set the timings better than those published timings, i.e. you can usually set the timings lower (reduced wait-states).

I'm not sure if this is the sort of explanation you were seeking, regarding RAM.

---------- Post added at 06:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 AM ----------

P.S. If it were me, I'd keep my proven mobo and snag an i7-950 when Intel cuts prices near the end of January... if you can wait that long. Haven't had my head into CPU market for awhile but I seem to remember that is when Intel usually does their price cuts for the Winter quarter. I am not an Early Adopter (Early Adopter = One who buys the newest tech as soon as it is released). I prefer to buy once the tech is proven reliable and with regard to mobo's, usually after at least one BIOS (firmware) update has been released.

Edited by Ripsaw5165

As far as the RAM goes, the rating (2000, 1600, etc) is the maximum FSB (FrontSide Bus) speed the RAM is rated at. The published timings you see next to the rating are the best possible timings when the RAM is running at max rated FSB. You can run RAM with a higher max FSB rating than your mobo's actual FSB speed (mhz), but you can't run RAM with a lower max FSB rating than your mobo's actual FSB speed.

So i cannot run 1066 MHz ( PC3-8500 ) CL7 ( 7-7-7-18 ) Non-EEC RAM on a board with an FSB of 2600 MHz (AMD 870 / AMD SB850 chipset)?

:confused:

Hello all,

I returned an hp desktop from christmas and now have about 900 dollars to spend on a custom gaming pc. I'm not a serious gamer, but I play serious games like socom on ps3. This game looks to be awesome and highly detailed but will probably be the most demanding on performance. I also play x3tc, spore, and the total war series. Not to much competition lol.

all I want is for it to look nice, on par with console graphics?

have decent fps, minimal lag frame to frame

Be able to field decent settings and show stability on MP servers. (This is the main reason I bought this game.)

Can you guys give me a set up that could fill the requirements otb, and maybe a few options for the most important components?

Thanks

Hello all,

I returned an hp desktop from christmas and now have about 900 dollars to spend on a custom gaming pc. I'm not a serious gamer, but I play serious games like socom on ps3. This game looks to be awesome and highly detailed but will probably be the most demanding on performance. I also play x3tc, spore, and the total war series. Not to much competition lol.

all I want is for it to look nice, on par with console graphics?

have decent fps, minimal lag frame to frame

Be able to field decent settings and show stability on MP servers. (This is the main reason I bought this game.)

Can you guys give me a set up that could fill the requirements otb, and maybe a few options for the most important components?

Thanks

Hey what up and welcome. I will make this very easy for you. I have been a long time player of OFPCWC and the OPF ELITE since 2001/2005 I am currently making system to run ARMA2/OA. My system is going to be above ave with a 35-45 FPS rate in most moderate combat hopefully! Stop I know what you are going to say but ~35-45 FPS is above ave for this game.

LOL. I just put the game in my old laptop toshiba satellite with a AMD turion dual core mobile rm-72 @ > 2.1 ghz with a ATI RADEON 3100 with 4 gb of ram. The game plays Yes, I can play the game it has some lag with old xbox graphics but I can still play lol WTF all this time I was told I needed a superPC to run this game bull fucking shit!

I do what better graphics and a real smooth gameplay so I am going to make a system to run this game the right way however you can make a good rig for ~ $600.00 if you want. It will play the game fair with on par with most console graphics.

CPU i5 or AMD quad core ~ $190-140

GPU GTX 460 ~ $140

MOBO if you need one 1156 socket ~$75

RAM you need only 4gb ~ $65

PSU 500 watts- $50

HDD - $45

DVD - $20

CASE- $45

You don't need a cooler B/C you don't need to OC your rig.

Two weeks ago I knew shit about PC hardware and making a PC to run this game just ask this community. This community is the bomb not like codemasters lol inside joke for this community.

PS. I would go with the intel over the AMD arma likes intel better and get the fasters CPU within your budget take care good luck!

Edited by AVIBIRD 1

i would recommend you to get an SSD if you got some spare cash to stretch your budget. ArmA2 requires a constant load of textures and other data which is considerably higher than in any other game around. Your performace would benefit from the speed of an SSD access-time wise. If you dont want an SSD, get a standard Raid0 at least

Edited by Flattermann

Thinking of upgrading my videocards this week, here are my options in the order i'm considering:

1. SLI 1gb GTX460's (more so leaning on this setup)

2. Single GTX470

& if I come across some extra dough then

3. Single GTX580

And here is my system:

XFX NForce 780i -> Q9550 @ 4.0ghz

Cosair H50 w/ Push-Pull Fans

4GB Kingston PC8500

eVGA 8800GTX 2x SLI

3x Maxtor 1TB Sata

Corsair 850w PSU

24" SyncMaster 2433bw Samsung

What do you all think about this? I want to be able to run Arma2 at 1920x1200 - 4000 view distance and everything on very high except AA. What type of performance will I see?

Edited by SM0k3

Intel core i5-760 @ 2.8 ghz

4 gigs DDR3 1600MHZ

Radeon 6870 1gb 256-bit

See my sig. Granted, my tolerance level for frame rates is probably different than some people who feel anything less than 40fps is crap, but I find Arma 2/OA v1.07/v1.54 to be acceptably playable on my HP notebook using these graphic settings (NOTE: I run full screen at 1600x900, this cap was taken in windowed mode which dropped the res to 1200x900. I had to take the screen cap in windowed mode because I wasn't using FRAPS for screen caps at the time) :

OptimalGraphicsSettings.jpg

I get 22 fps in the two 'light' in-game benchmark missions and 9 fps in the heavy (night) combat in-game benchmark with these settings.

The specs you posted should produce superior frame rates to what my notebook produces.

---------- Post added at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

So i cannot run 1066 MHz ( PC3-8500 ) CL7 ( 7-7-7-18 ) Non-EEC RAM on a board with an FSB of 2600 MHz (AMD 870 / AMD SB850 chipset)?

:confused:

You could run it but you would need to back the memory timings off to longer wait-states than the listed wait-states for the ram's published max FSB Mhz rating. I.E., you would need to increase the 7-7-7-18 wait states higher in order to stabilize the ram at an FSB speed higher than its published max FSB rating. This is only something advisable to experiment with if you are trying to use some ram you already have from a previous system, on a new motherboard with faster FSB. If you are buying a new motherboard then it is best to buy new ram with a max FSB rating that matches or exceeds the FSB speed of the new board.

Edited by Ripsaw5165

I'm looking to upgrade my current graphics card (ATI HD 5450) and was wondering how much of a difference between the HD 5770 and the 5870 is, because the price of the 5770 is about $100 cheaper than the 5870 and the specs seem to be around the same?

there is a BIG difference between the 2. one bein 5770 is only 128-bit memory interface where the 5870 is 256-bit. check prices on 6870 as they should be a little lower then 5870 and they shoudl perform the same.

there is a BIG difference between the 2. one bein 5770 is only 128-bit memory interface where the 5870 is 256-bit. check prices on 6870 as they should be a little lower then 5870 and they shoudl perform the same.

Ok i see, thnx! :)

Ok i see, thnx! :)

Jack I told you to get the HD 5870. It is a little more but works better in the long run. I told you that last night bitch! The HD 6870 RANGES from ~220.00 -270.00 on newegg and the HD 5870 is faster,yes! ~ 250.00- 375.00. Only a 30.00 diff from both low ends of the product.

Does anymore know the name of the software that will let you remap the gamepad to the keyboard both Jack and I hate the F keyboard and rat LOL.

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

the 6870 is the sweetspot performance/price at the moment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814141124

The ave 5870 has ~ 1600 Stream Processing Units vs 1120 Stream Processing Units of this 6870. YOU need to look a little deeper into the numbers just B/C the core clock is higher does not always mean the card is faster. JUST FYI just helping to pass the correct information out. take care.

Jack I told you to get the HD 5870. It is a little more but works better in the long run. I told you that last night bitch! The HD 6870 RANGES from ~220.00 -270.00 on newegg and the HD 5870 is faster,yes! ~ 250.00- 375.00. Only a 30.00 diff from both low ends of the product.

Does anymore know the name of the software that will let you remap the gamepad to the keyboard both Jack and I hate the F keyboard and rat LOL.

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

The ave 5870 has ~ 1600 Stream Processing Units vs 1120 Stream Processing Units of this 6870. YOU need to look a little deeper into the numbers just B/C the core clock is higher does not always mean the card is faster. JUST FYI just helping to pass the correct information out. take care.

The stream processors on those cards have a different design, so you cant compare those. The only thing to look at when comparing gpu's is benchmarks. The 5870 is a tiny bit faster most of the times but it's also more expensive. The 6870 ofen has a higher minimum fps. I'd get one of the newer cards if I was buying ati now.

Nvidia has improved their cards as well but the improvements are mostly in clocks/shader count and efficiency. If you dont care about power use when gaming (I don't, don't really game that often on full-power). A cheap gtx470 might also be interesting.

The stream processors on those cards have a different design, so you cant compare those. The only thing to look at when comparing gpu's is benchmarks. The 5870 is a tiny bit faster most of the times but it's also more expensive. The 6870 ofen has a higher minimum fps. I'd get one of the newer cards if I was buying ati now.

Nvidia has improved their cards as well but the improvements are mostly in clocks/shader count and efficiency. If you dont care about power use when gaming (I don't, don't really game that often on full-power). A cheap gtx470 might also be interesting.

Hey leon, JAKE aka jack aka jackass is a good friend of mine. We both are given up on a console port lol. Jake just got a new PC (old one off of anazon) but he wants to upgrade the vid.

The GTX 460, hd 6870 or the HD 5870. The 460 and the 6870 will be within his budget right now. I was told the 5870 is a better card all around and only l~ 30-50 dollars more!

You say there is no big diff with the two cards! what about the diff between the 460 vs 6870! If only a slight diff then maybe he should get the 460 right now this will be in his budget for sure!

For me LOL! I am currently playing ARMA on a ATI 3100 card and a AMD dual core 2.1 hgz but it plays! The Graphics looks like old xbox! I am going to wait to build my system after the new SB CPU is out hopefully the i7 will drop in cost and if the new SB MOBO are not to much maybe I will just get the new SB/mobo I think it will be new 1155 socket. No infrom how much the MOBO will cost. Do you have a clue! thanks and take care.