Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Phenom x6, six cores is a gimmick just to stay afloat against Intel CPUs.

So, dont you think if arma2 or OA gets better core management, it is useful?

I already read that in other games, like metro, it has very good performance.

Also at BF2, it 6cores can be double as fast, if you play it low graphic, so gpu istn slowing it down.

BF2

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/screenshots/medium/2010/04/X6-Gaming-BC2x.png

Arma2

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/screenshots/medium/2010/04/X6-Gaming-ArmA2.png

dont forget, Arma2 for now is not really optimized on multiple cores.

Imagine if they fix the core management. Shouldnt it run much much better then with 2 cores more?

Thanks for the advice Bangtail.

Im guessing I can probably offset the few quid on the electricity against the heating bill :)

So, dont you think if arma2 or OA gets better core management, it is useful?

I already read that in other games, like metro, it has very good performance.

Also at BF2, it 6cores can be double as fast, if you play it low graphic, so gpu istn slowing it down.

BF2

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/screenshots/medium/2010/04/X6-Gaming-BC2x.png

Arma2

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/screenshots/medium/2010/04/X6-Gaming-ArmA2.png

dont forget, Arma2 for now is not really optimized on multiple cores.

Imagine if they fix the core management. Shouldnt it run much much better then with 2 cores more?

Get a 6 core, or even a 12 core if you intend on running the game in 800x600. Anything over 16x12 will leave the Phenom x6 behind compared to anything Intel has to offer.

P.S. Even if they fix the core management and the game will utilize 90% of all 6 cores at all times, you still have a bottleneck in your system - 5850.

Hello. Found out about this game on Yahoo answers (huh?) Said it was extreely taxing. I want to test that on a new rig I'm building, but I want to be sure it'll run decently, and have a few curious questions.

Okay, first off, the build:

Processor: AMD Phenom II x 4 3.0 Ghz C3 stepping 95 Watt Processor

RAM: 4 gigs DDR3 1333 G Skill.

Graphics: Radeon HD 5830 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

That should be the main stuff as far as determining factors. My assumption... yeah, it'll run.. no problems.

My main question though, is if the game will ever or if it has already released a DX 11 patch.

Get a 6 core, or even a 12 core if you intend on running the game in 800x600. Anything over 16x12 will leave the Phenom x6 behind compared to anything Intel has to offer.

P.S. Even if they fix the core management and the game will utilize 90% of all 6 cores at all times, you still have a bottleneck in your system - 5850.

So, if we say, they fix the core management, what they will do sooner or later, ill run better with the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition, 6x 3.20GHz.

Even if my GPU is the bottleneck, i can just change the GPU to a better one, in a few month.

What you woud do?

Intel i7 860 4x2,8 or AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition, 6x 3.20GHz

its just like 40€ more.

hmmm

So, if we say, they fix the core management, what they will do sooner or later, ill run better with the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition, 6x 3.20GHz.

Even if my GPU is the bottleneck, i can just change the GPU to a better one, in a few month.

What you woud do?

its just like 40€ more.

hmmm

5850, i7 860. Six months ago I'd tell you: 5850, Phenom II x4 9x5 BE.

My current specifications are as follows:

I7 920, GTX-260 (216 shader), 4GB of DDR3 RAM (need to check speed), 10,000 RPM Raptor hard drive.

What should I upgrade in order to best improve my ArmA2 performance? More RAM? Would overclocking my CPU help at all?

My current specifications are as follows:

I7 920, GTX-260 (216 shader), 4GB of DDR3 RAM (need to check speed), 10,000 RPM Raptor hard drive.

What should I upgrade in order to best improve my ArmA2 performance? More RAM? Would overclocking my CPU help at all?

Do you have another PCI-E slot on your motherboard?

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRg-TmRr2-g&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRg-TmRr2-g&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Mute the audio if you wish, that was frapsed on 260 SLI, i7 920 @ 3.8ghz. What resolution are you running? Force Vsync off for Arma in Nvidia control panel if you haven't done so already. Do the standard mission-bench provided in SP - Scenarios.

The stock i7 920 2.6GHz could be holding the 260 back, you can O/C the CPU. If your average FPS doesn't increase by at least 5-7, O/C the GTX 260 Core if your load temp is within norms on stock clocks. Finding the bottleneck in the system is key.

P.S. SLI GTX 260 216sp vs GTX 480 Bench: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=171321&hl=

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

Thanks for the advice Bangtail.

Im guessing I can probably offset the few quid on the electricity against the heating bill :)

TBH, the heat issues are more bluster from the ATI camp than they are fact.

Provided you have adequate cooling etc, the 480 is fine. Mine actually run quite a bit cooler than my previous Tri SLI 280 setup.

What you woud do?

its just like 40€ more.

hmmm

An i5-750 will run arma2 just as well as the i7-860, the i5 however has become more and more expensive and the price difference with the 860 isn't that great anymore, maybe the 860's is worth the extra 40 euro's (used to be 70) just for apps that scale well with hyperthreading.

If you want to save money get a Phenom II x4 955BE. It won't have the performance of the i7-860, you'll get about 75% of the performance but save about 100 euro on the cpu motherboard combo. Plus you get a "free" igp so you'll have a useful desktop if you decide to re-use the gpu in a future system.

I decided to buy a new SSD (should be a not more than 80GB) for arma only.

So my setup will be "Intel X25-M G2 Postville 80 GB" for win7 and the new one for arma² and OA only.

Any recommendations for the new one?

One thing is important:

I still have a coupon (about 180€) from my last PC-built for this shop. So only one SSD of this assortment is possible to buy. An additional payment of ca. 50€ max. is okay.

I decided to buy a new SSD (should be a not more than 80GB) for arma only.

So my setup will be "Intel X25-M G2 Postville 80 GB" for win7 and the new one for arma² and OA only.

Any recommendations for the new one?

One thing is important:

I still have a coupon (about 180€) from my last PC-built for this shop. So only one SSD of this assortment is possible to buy. An additional payment of ca. 50€ max. is okay.

OCZ Agility 2 (The sandforce based ones). I'm very impressed with mine :D

Saying that, another Postville would be good for RAID tbh. You can do RAID with any drives of the same size but it's better for them to be exactly the same in my experience.

Edited by BangTail

Thx for your advice, BangTail.

Yeah-pondered on the RAID-thing now for a longer time. Is there a main performance-increase if you combine two of them, especially for arma (one for win, the other for arma)?

I´m sure you checked some tests before you bought your two OCZ Agility 2 (this model?). Are these much better in loading-rates than the Postvilles (cannot find a seperate test atm)?

sooo:

for ArmA2 and Operation Arrowhead, in the future, when they include 4+ core management, as they told.

Whats better to buy, if you also think into the future a bit:

intel i7-860 4x2,8 Ghz (4 cores)

OR

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition, 6x 3.20GHz (6 cores)

As a note to KrAziKilla, if you've got a AMD gaming machine, leave the Phenom II x 6 behind. The phenom x 4 actually murders the x6 when it comes to gaming and some other tasks related to gaming or graphics. Not sure why entirely... It doesn't make sense to me, but, data is data.

Alright, I'm just going to throw my specs out there, for you to tell me what I would supposed to be able to run ArmA 2 at:

CPU: Intel Core 2Duo E6750 @2,7GHz

RAM: 4GB 400Mhz DDR2

Graphics: Zotac Nvidia GeForce 9800GT Amped!

Mainboard: Gigabyte P35-DS3

I'm curious about how my ArmA 2 is supposed to perform compared to how it actually performs.

sooo:

for ArmA2 and Operation Arrowhead, in the future, when they include 4+ core management, as they told.

OR

The Six Core in the Skin of Phenom II x6 does not have a future. i7-860 with 4 cores and 8 logical cores with Hyper-threading on the other hand, does. Phenom II x6 will be slower than the top Phenom II x4 - you were told that countless times.

Thx for your advice, BangTail.

Yeah-pondered on the RAID-thing now for a longer time. Is there a main performance-increase if you combine two of them, especially for arma (one for win, the other for arma)?

I´m sure you checked some tests before you bought your two OCZ Agility 2 (this model?). Are these much better in loading-rates than the Postvilles (cannot find a seperate test atm)?

I find them much better than Postville's (and I had 2 160s before).

There is a substantial performance increase using RAID.

I find them much better than Postville's (and I had 2 160s before).

There is a substantial performance increase using RAID.

k-thx for your support!

Alright, I'm just going to throw my specs out there, for you to tell me what I would supposed to be able to run ArmA 2 at:

CPU: Intel Core 2Duo E6750 @2,7GHz

RAM: 4GB 400Mhz DDR2

Graphics: Zotac Nvidia GeForce 9800GT Amped!

Mainboard: Gigabyte P35-DS3

I'm curious about how my ArmA 2 is supposed to perform compared to how it actually performs.

I had a similar setup before I got my q6600 but I was running it at 3.2 GHz. I was running at 1920x1200 with model and terrain detail on normal, shadows off. anisotropic filtering low, aa off, postproc off. 2k viewdistance.

Missions were fine (although not completely smooth 20-45 fps depending on situation) but the last couple of campain missions were terrible.

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

The Six Core in the Skin of Phenom II x6 does not have a future. i7-860 with 4 cores and 8 logical cores with Hyper-threading on the other hand, does. Phenom II x6 will be slower than the top Phenom II x4 - you were told that countless times.

For games 6 cores is just as pointless as hyperthreading. Too bad the i5-750 is only getting more expensive, it used to be a no-brainer.

For games 6 cores is just as pointless as hyperthreading. Too bad the i5-750 is only getting more expensive, it used to be a no-brainer.

I didn't see the i5 750 enter the equation. Just tell him to get the Phenom x6; demagoguery is something some people excel at.

I didn't see the i5 750 enter the equation. Just tell him to get the Phenom x6; demagoguery is something some people excel at.

Why would you prefer the i7-860 over the i5-750 for arma2? Only advantage is the 5% higher clockspeed.

Er, still waiting for a reply to the spec list for my build. Want to order it soon, so if it needs improvements, please respond with them. It's back a page. ^^

Processor: AMD Phenom II x 4 3.0 Ghz C3 stepping 95 Watt Processor

RAM: 4 gigs DDR3 1333 G Skill.

Graphics: Radeon HD 5830 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

That should be the main stuff as far as determining factors. My assumption... yeah, it'll run.. no problems.

My main question though, is if the game will ever or if it has already released a DX 11 patch.

Also, going to have Windows 7 64 bit, if that helps.

Why would you prefer the i7-860 over the i5-750 for arma2? Only advantage is the 5% higher clockspeed.

OR

Too bad the i5-750 is only getting more expensive

Leon86 - blocked.

---------- Post added at 01:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 AM ----------

Er, still waiting for a reply to the spec list for my build. Want to order it soon, so if it needs improvements, please respond with them. It's back a page. ^^

Also, going to have Windows 7 64 bit, if that helps.

If you can, get a 5850. The 5830 is decent, equal to nvidia's GTX 465, which is a flop, sadly.

I take it you already decided which mobo to get, so it'll be an AMD system; you haven't specified the model of the Phenom x4, that looks like a 945, you could get a Phenom II X4 965 BE for additional $20.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE

XFX 5850 1GB