Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Im using an Intel q6600 running at 2.9GHz Is it worth upgrading my cpu for 775 mainboard so i can clock over 3GHz? Would the performance increase be negligible?

I have not tried the latest beta patch, does it allow to be installed next to v1.05? Because from time to time I play online with a few mates and they don't have the beta patch installed. Or isn't there an issue in mixing versions?

There is no issue using Betas on 1.05 servers :D

Im using an Intel q6600 running at 2.9GHz Is it worth upgrading my cpu for 775 mainboard so i can clock over 3GHz? Would the performance increase be negligible?

I'd say going from 2.9GHz to around 3.5GHz will not make alot of difference so that may not be the best upgrade to make.

Whats your graphics card?

windows version?

memory?

Edited by EDcase

There is no issue playing on 1.05 servers :D

I'd say going from 2.9GHz to around 3.5GHz will not make alot of difference so that may not be the best upgrade to make.

Whats your graphics card?

windows version?

memory?

Im using 1GB Gigabyte GTS 250, Winxp pro64bit, 4gb ddr2 800mhz was using 8gb but took 4 out as i use lots of memory to run Cinema4d.

Regards

Deleted due to being wrong.I posted a fps jump from 38 to 50 with a very slight cpu speed bump.Its the same and is now 50fps at the normal cpu speed.

Edited by Wolfstriked

how would my pc run arma 2:OA. AMD Phenom™ II X4 945 + ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB.8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs. Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit.

how would my pc run arma 2:OA. AMD Phenom™ II X4 945 + ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB.8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs. Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit.

Can't comment on how it would run OA, but I would venture to say that its a better than average rig you got there.

How do you guys think OA will run on:

Athlon 635

3GB DDR2

9800 GTX+

If it's an Athlon II it should run ok as long as you dont set the viewdistance and model detail too high. In the last few campain missions the cpu might struggle due to all the ai and scripts, at least my 3.2 Ghz C2D did, haven't played the campain for a while though, with the latest patch it might be better.

In multiplayer and custom scenario's it should run nicely with appropriate settings. Which goes for all hardware that's a bit above the minimum requirements.

Ok surprisingly my copy of ARMA 2 came in today. 7 Days to get from Cali to Iraq.

I tested it out on my buddies computer in which I ordered myself which is a Toshiba Qosmio X505 Q870. The specs are as follows.

1.6 Ghz I 7 720qm quad core "turbo boost" to 2.8 GHz

Nvidia GTS 360m graphics card

500 GB HD 7200 RPM

4 gigs of DDR 3 Ram

Running on all high or very high specs with view distance down to 1500 it was very very playable. Bits of lag here and there but otherwise smooth as silk in both heavily wooded areas and big cities during the first few missions of the campaign. That was before the patch.

After 1.05 it was complete rubbish.

It wasnt a very fair test though and I havent played around with it a whole lot since it was my buddies lappy. So when mine comes in I will do a further rundown on what it can and cannot do.

PS: The motion blur was making me sick.

Im using 1GB Gigabyte GTS 250, Winxp pro64bit, 4gb ddr2 800mhz was using 8gb but took 4 out as i use lots of memory to run Cinema4d.

Regards

I think your first upgrade should be graphics card.

Look HERE to find the best one you can afford.

Don't quite follow about the ram.

You had 8Gb and took 4Gb out???... For another machine???

That passmark list isn't really representing real-world performance, the gtx470 is beating the 5970 :eek: I prefer this

would the amd phenom ii x6 1035t six core (2.6ghz)with 2GB ATI Radeon HD 5570 run arma 2 and OA fine without lag?

Edited by doorkn0b95

would the amd phenom ii x6 1035t six core (2.6ghz)with 2GB ATI Radeon HD 5570 run arma 2 and OA fine without lag?

I'd get a more powerful gpu, at least a 5750 or 5770.

I'd get a more powerful gpu, at least a 5750 or 5770.

thats what it is a hd 5770 1g, my mistake but would it run well?

Edited by doorkn0b95

Is this setup enough to run arma 2 and if so at what setting(low, medium, high)?

Thanks

Operating system - Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Processor Intel® Core i7-930 quad-core [2.8GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache]

Memory - 9GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [5 DIMMs] from 8GB

Hard drive - 1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 750GB

Graphics card - 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5570 [DVI,HDMI, DP, VGA adapter]

I don't own this desktop yet so I can't test it on a website, unless it allows me to type in specs.

thats what it is a hd 5770 2g, my mistake but would it run well?

Yes, as long as you dont go overboard with the settings or plan to run at 2560x1440 with aa on. Expect normal-high on 1920x1200 to run nicely.

Yes, as long as you dont go overboard with the settings or plan to run at 2560x1440 with aa on. Expect normal-high on 1920x1200 to run nicely.
those settings still look pretty good? if im correct.

1500-1600 dollars should be enough. I suggest you get a core i5-750, a gigabyte P55-UD3 (or UD4 if budget allows). A 4GB kit of ddr3 ram that's on the qvl, an ati 5850, a samsung F3 1TB disk...

Using this recommendation from earlier in this thread as a guideline for rebuilding my system, I have a few questions:

Is there an upper limit on RAM beyond which you won't see improvement in performance with ARMA2? Is it better to spend money on more total GB of ram, or on better latencies?

I like my computer case, but its old and only has front and rear vents (no side) and is a bit thin in profile, so I'm wondering if with the heat generated by newer GPU, CPU if I need to upgrade for better airflow. Prices range all over the map and I don't care how my case looks, so what is the cheapest case that cools well. Or what features should I be looking at specifically in a case?

I was looking at a P55-UD3 and UD4 today, and couldn't tell what the benefit of the UD4 is. In general, I've been rebuilding my computer since 2003 and it seems that the trend is I build a computer that works well for 2-3 years, then when I start getting performance issues (i.e. games improve), the technology has changed so much I start over from scratch rather than upgrading individual components. Does this mean I am wasting money getting components that have high potential to upgrade / overclock, and does it change what I should be looking at spending my money on?

Thanks

what is a good cheap intel processor that would run arma 2 and OA good with a gtx 260 8gb ram video card

Can anyone please give me advices on my configuration?

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8400@3GHz

GPU: GeForce 9800GTX+ 512Mb

HDD: SATA 7200rpm

Memory: 4Gb (3.25Gb taken into account by XP)

I am most likely going to have to update the graphic card but I wonder if the CPU can be enough for AO.

Basically the configuration I am looking for would be the less expensive to run it very well for main use on MP with mods at a 1280x1024 resolution.

If possible post a medium, high and high end suggested configuration!

Thanks in advance!

Using this recommendation from earlier in this thread as a guideline for rebuilding my system, I have a few questions:

Is there an upper limit on RAM beyond which you won't see improvement in performance with ARMA2? Is it better to spend money on more total GB of ram, or on better latencies?

I like my computer case, but its old and only has front and rear vents (no side) and is a bit thin in profile, so I'm wondering if with the heat generated by newer GPU, CPU if I need to upgrade for better airflow. Prices range all over the map and I don't care how my case looks, so what is the cheapest case that cools well. Or what features should I be looking at specifically in a case?

I was looking at a P55-UD3 and UD4 today, and couldn't tell what the benefit of the UD4 is. In general, I've been rebuilding my computer since 2003 and it seems that the trend is I build a computer that works well for 2-3 years, then when I start getting performance issues (i.e. games improve), the technology has changed so much I start over from scratch rather than upgrading individual components. Does this mean I am wasting money getting components that have high potential to upgrade / overclock, and does it change what I should be looking at spending my money on?

Thanks

If you like your case you can re-use it. Not having side vents doesn't mean the airflow is bad. If you worry about that you can always get a couple of scythe slipstreams or other high airflow fans. A core i5 has about the same tdp as a pentium IV, so an old case shoud be fine if it went well with the pentium. GPU's like the 5770 and 5850 dont use that much either, and all heat they do generate is usually blown out the rear.

As for ram I'd just get 4GB of a kit that's on the QVL of the motherboard. Make sure it runs on 1.65V or lower, 1.5 is not uncommon. Don't worry too much about speeds, PC3-12800 (aka ddr3-1600) isn't much more expensive than the PC3-10600 (aka ddr3-1333) and will allow for a nice overclock. Overclocking is the only reason to get ram that's faster then ddr3-1333. Even when overclocking the 1333 might be fine (you're overclocking after all, why not overclock the ram as well?) so if it's much cheaper get that.

More than 4GB might be used in future patches but I doubt that you'll want to get it just for that. 4 is more then enough for gaming and normal app use.

The UD3 and UD4 used to be closer together in price. The ud4 has a couple of things you might or might not use, like firewire. It also has a bit more power electronics and heatsinks to allow for big overclocks. The UD3 will also overclock fine though, you used to be able to get an ud4 for 20 euros more. right now it's more like 50 so the UD3 is the better deal.

Another thing you might want to get is a good aftermarket cooler like the scythe mugen 2 rev.B (if it fits in your case that is). It keeps the cpu much cooler, run silent and you can overclock if you feel the need.

Edited by Leon86

Don't quite follow about the ram.

You had 8Gb and took 4Gb out???... For another machine???

I read that more than 4gig of ram causes texture issues in the game, dont know if this was before or after the game is patched.

I read that more than 4gig of ram causes texture issues in the game, dont know if this was before or after the game is patched.

Yes, there was an issue with 8Gb ram but that is fixed now I think.

I have 6Gb with no problems.

You should try the latest Beta with the full 8Gb.

Is this setup enough to run arma 2 and if so at what setting(low, medium, high)?

Thanks

Operating system - Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Processor Intel® Core i7-930 quad-core [2.8GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache]

Memory - 9GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [5 DIMMs] from 8GB

Hard drive - 1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 750GB

Graphics card - 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5570 [DVI,HDMI, DP, VGA adapter]

I don't own this desktop yet so I can't test it on a website, unless it allows me to type in specs.

Everything looks good but the graphics card is under powered compared to the rest of your system.

I'm not very farmiliar with ATi but I'd suggest an HD5870 or NVidia GTX480

Note: I don't know what else you will use the computer for but regarding AMRA2 the RAM is excessive. Although BIS are working on a new patch to use more RAM I would say that it won't be useful to have more than 6Gb for ARMA2. (It would be better to get 1600MHz ram for that processor)

Edited by EDcase

Yes, there was an issue with 8Gb ram but that is fixed now I think.

I have 6Gb with no problems.

You should try the latest Beta with the full 8Gb.

Do you mean the latest beta patch? do you have a link!

On a side note i over clocked my video card big time from gpu=765mhz, shader=1912mhz, memory=1100mhz to gpu=850 shader=1966 and memory=1163 and ended up with an increase of 2fps:confused:

Thanks

At the moment ARMA2 has a 2Gb limit on RAM use but BIS are working on a new patch to make that higher. We don't know what will be the upper limit but I'd say 6Gb would be good.

With new CPU & GPU power a well ventilated case is ESSENTIAL

I would look for a case with top vents as that seems to be the best for airflow.

Technology will always improve and its fastest in the computer market so its impossible to have a system that can be constantly upgraded. You have to look for something that will keep you happy for a couple of years perhaps with a GPU or even CPU upgrade along the way. I'd suggest an i7 x58 motherboard so you can put in a 720 now and upgrade that later.

GPU's are the easiest to upgrade and give a good boost.

Ram can also be upgraded easily.

Make sure you get a good power supply. System stability depends on it and should be powerful enough to cope with the next power hungry CPU & GPU.

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

Do you mean the latest beta patch? do you have a link!

On a side note i over clocked my video card big time from gpu=765mhz, shader=1912mhz, memory=1100mhz to gpu=850 shader=1966 and memory=1163 and ended up with an increase of 2fps:confused:

Latest Betas are HERE. You only need the top one in the green bar.

(You must be up to version 1.05 using normal patches)

Yeah, I overclocked my CPU from 2.67GHz to 3.36GHz (not alot as I don't have proper cooler yet) ...and I only got a few fps more.

Edited by EDcase