Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

It's a 945. I can always change any part though, but I would prefer keep the price under 1000, but still have a decent rig. I'm getting about 3800 in 2 months or less (Depending) and have to have some for my car repairs, tags, title, inspection, etc, but I could push the budget to 1000 if I wanted. Likely all the way to 2000, but I want to put some into CDs before college starts.

As for my selection so far, the MB is a

MSI NF750-G55 AM3 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

Processor:

AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

As for my selection so far, the MB is a

MSI NF750-G55 AM3 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

Processor:

AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

Squeeze enough for a 5850, you can always o/c the CPU, but you can't compensate for the lack of Rendering Units in a GPU, though.

Leon86 - blocked.

What is that about, I'm just giving valid counterarguments to your i7/ati rant.

Edited by Leon86

Can some one tell me a laptop or laptop GPU that will run Arma 2 at least to medium

Can some one tell me a laptop or laptop GPU that will run Arma 2 at least to medium

Look at this table, get a laptop with a gpu that's in the top 12 rows. Some gpu's aren't on this list yet I think, there's a site called notebookcheck, they usually have benchmarks so you can compare it to chips that are on the list.

Hi to everyone

I’m about to purchase a notebook, but I’m in need of an advice which of these models would be better to run ArmA

Processor Intel® Core™ i5-430M (2.26 GHz, Turbo Boost up to 2.53 Ghz, 3 MB Cache L3).

RAM 4 GB DDR3. Hard Disk 320 GB.

Video card NVIDIA GeForce GT 310M with 1024 MB dedicated.

Display 15,6". Mastering DVD.

Wi-Fi 802.11bgn. WebCam.

Windows 7 Home Premium.

Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 (2.53GHz, 3MB L2, 1066MHz FSB)

HD 500GB - RAM 4GB - Display 15,6" wide BrightView

Wi-Fi 802.11b/g - Windows 7 Home Premium

Webcam with integrated microphone - Bluetooth

Video card ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB dedicated

Any feedback is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Hi to everyone

I’m about to purchase a notebook, but I’m in need of an advice which of these models would be better to run ArmA

Processor Intel® Core™ i5-430M (2.26 GHz, Turbo Boost up to 2.53 Ghz, 3 MB Cache L3).

RAM 4 GB DDR3. Hard Disk 320 GB.

Video card NVIDIA GeForce GT 310M with 1024 MB dedicated.

Display 15,6". Mastering DVD.

Wi-Fi 802.11bgn. WebCam.

Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

It'll probably run better on the second system because there's a slightly better gpu in it. You'll still have to run at fairly low details to get some performance though. It's 1.5 times as fast as the 310 but still a low-end gpu.

Hi Leon86

thanks for the advice. yeah I know that I have to play with low details and my budget is limited around € 700. I'm very often on the road due to RL issues and therefore I wanted to purchase a notebook so I could play an edit when I'm not at home which is quite often.

Thanks for your advice

kind regards

Alright, I'm just going to throw my specs out there, for you to tell me what I would supposed to be able to run ArmA 2 at:

CPU: Intel Core 2Duo E6750 @2,7GHz

RAM: 4GB 400Mhz DDR2

Graphics: Zotac Nvidia GeForce 9800GT Amped!

Mainboard: Gigabyte P35-DS3

I'm curious about how my ArmA 2 is supposed to perform compared to how it actually performs.

I had a similar setup before I got my q6600 but I was running it at 3.2 GHz. I was running at 1920x1200 with model and terrain detail on normal, shadows off. anisotropic filtering low, aa off, postproc off. 2k viewdistance.

Missions were fine (although not completely smooth 20-45 fps depending on situation) but the last couple of campain missions were terrible.

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

For games 6 cores is just as pointless as hyperthreading. Too bad the i5-750 is only getting more expensive, it used to be a no-brainer.

Alright... so if I wanted to upgrade, would the:

775 Intel Core 2 Quad 2.83GHz (Q9550)/12MB/1333

be a good choice?

I don't want to get another board, so I'm sticking to socket 775.

Would that CPU be able to run ArmA 2 without issues? With a decent framerate, not the "Let's hope this mission runs over 20fps most of the time" kind of performance?

I only run my games on 1280x1024, by the way.

Hey guys I'm looking to make a new rig for arma and OA and was just looking for some advice. I'm considering buying this for my base what do you guys think. will Update with info on the gfx card I have. Any advice would be much appreciated and if you know of any better deals I could get would you post them to be. Well this is the mobo package I'm thinking of getting... http://www.overclock.co.uk/product/AMD-Phenom-II-x2-550-Black-Edition-310GHz-CPU-Corsair-4GB-DDR3-1600MHz-RAM-Gigabyte-MA770TA-UD3-Motherboard-Bundle_26882.html

be a good choice?

Would that CPU be able to run ArmA 2 without issues? With a decent framerate, not the "Let's hope this mission runs over 20fps most of the time" kind of performance?

If you can get such a cpu (probably secondhand) for about 120 euro's it would be a nice upgrade. Intel doesn't make them anymore so they're more expensive new as they used to be. You can also overclock your current cpu. I used to run my 6750 at 3.2 on a vcore below stock, was cooler overclocked than stock. You can go up to 3.6 with a good cooler.

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

Hey guys I'm looking to make a new rig for arma and OA and was just looking for some advice. I'm considering buying this for my base what do you guys think. will Update with info on the gfx card I have. Any advice would be much appreciated and if you know of any better deals I could get would you post them to be. Well this is the mobo package I'm thinking of getting... http://www.overclock.co.uk/product/AMD-Phenom-II-x2-550-Black-Edition-310GHz-CPU-Corsair-4GB-DDR3-1600MHz-RAM-Gigabyte-MA770TA-UD3-Motherboard-Bundle_26882.html

I think you're better off not buying a bundle but just getting the parts. If you worry about compatibility just go to the motherboard manufacturer's site. You can find a list of all supported processors as well as the QVL (that's the memory compatibility list).

If you're going amd I'd get a motherboard with a newer chipset (there are newer ones out like the 870). You might not notice it much performance-wise but it'll probably have better power efficiency, stability when overclocking, etc.

If you go intel I'd get a P55 board with something like an i5-750 or maybe an 860 (same performance in games, but better performance in apps thanks to HT), it'll perform better but also cost more.

be a good choice?

Yes in a heartbeat. I went from a q6600 (oc'd to 3.4) to a q9550 (oc'd to 3.8) to my now i7930 (oc'd to 3.5) and the q9550 only laggs behind by about 10 fps on average. So yes it is a good upgrade choice if you dont want to do the full upgrade to i5/i7. I would also reccommend upgrading your card to an ati 5870 or nvidia 480 with the money saved and your good to go.

TBH, the heat issues are more bluster from the ATI camp than they are fact.

Provided you have adequate cooling etc, the 480 is fine. Mine actually run quite a bit cooler than my previous Tri SLI 280 setup.

Thanks BangTail. Ive been doing a lot of research and im thinking of ditching the watercooling and saving the money. I guess your cards are aircooled?

Im thinking of buying this system, Its a prebuilt/overclocked system from Overclockers UK.

- Case: Antec 902 Ultimate Gaming Case - Black

- Power Supply: Corsair TX 650W ATX SLi Compliant Power Supply

- CPU: Intel Core i7 930 2.80GHz Overclocked to 4.00GHz

- Motherboard: Gigabyte EX58A-UD3R Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard

- Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B CPU Cooler with 2000RPM Sharkoon Silent Eagle 120mm

- RAM: Patriot Viper 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel

- Intel X25-M Mainstream 80GB SSD

- Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache

- Optical Drive: LG DVD+/-RW SATA Drive

- OC UK value 480GTX

- Win 7 64 pro

I got a quote for the above with the following changes:

- power supply upgrade to 850w corsair (only a few quid more and enough (I think) to go SLI later)

- 24" BenQ LED monitor

£1824 all in including delivery.

Im intrested to hear if this is a good system and if its a good deal. Anything worth changing?

Thanks BangTail. Ive been doing a lot of research and im thinking of ditching the watercooling and saving the money. I guess your cards are aircooled?

Im thinking of buying this system, Its a prebuilt/overclocked system from Overclockers UK.

- Case: Antec 902 Ultimate Gaming Case - Black

- Power Supply: Corsair TX 650W ATX SLi Compliant Power Supply

- CPU: Intel Core i7 930 2.80GHz Overclocked to 4.00GHz

- Motherboard: Gigabyte EX58A-UD3R Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard

- Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B CPU Cooler with 2000RPM Sharkoon Silent Eagle 120mm

- RAM: Patriot Viper 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel

- Intel X25-M Mainstream 80GB SSD

- Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache

- Optical Drive: LG DVD+/-RW SATA Drive

- OC UK value 480GTX

- Win 7 64 pro

I got a quote for the above with the following changes:

- power supply upgrade to 850w corsair (only a few quid more and enough (I think) to go SLI later)

- 24" BenQ LED monitor

£1824 all in including delivery.

Im intrested to hear if this is a good system and if its a good deal. Anything worth changing?

I wouldn't go with an Intel SSD, I much prefer the Sandforce controllers such as the OCZ Agility 2 (there are a few choices now across the brands). I also prefer WD over Seagate tbh but that's more down to personal preference.

I've never bothered with water cooling (Well the H50 is to an extent but not the same as a fully LC'd box). Proper ventilation will keep your cards running fairly cool, I've yet to see them get very hot while gaming (no more than 75c).

850w is borderline for 2 480s and it will really depend on what's in the box when you go SLI, personally I'd opt for a 1000w PSU to be safe. I have run 2 480s on an 850 and I was fine but other people have had problems which may or may not be related to the PSU. Theoretically, 850 is enough, but better safe than sorry :)

Edited by BangTail

I wouldn't go with an Intel SSD, I much prefer the Sandforce controllers such as the OCZ Agility 2 (there are a few choices now across the brands). I also prefer WD over Seagate tbh but that's more down to personal preference.

I've never bothered with water cooling (Well the H50 is to an extent but not the same as a fully LC'd box). Proper ventilation will keep your cards running fairly cool, I've yet to see them get very hot while gaming (no more than 75c).

850w is borderline for 2 480s and it will really depend on what's in the box when you go SLI, personally I'd opt for a 1000w PSU to be safe. I have run 480s on an 850 and I was fine but other people have had problems which may or may not be related to the PSU. Theoretically, 850 is enough, but better safe than sorry :)

Some good points I havent thought about.

SSD:

On the same configurator theres the option of selecting an OCZ Vetex 2 50GB for 9 quid less. Im trying to find some comparisons but nothing in plain english. Is this drive substantually faster than the intel for gaming use? If it is ill take the 30gb drop.

Cooling:

Thats good to hear. The case reviews point to good airflow so I think ill save the money.

PSU:

Im guessing its enough purely based on another configurator showing 2 x 480s with a 750W PSU (wing and prayer stuff maybe!). Its another £40 to go to the 1000W corsair so ill probably take it. If nothing else I guess i wont have to get the calculator out everytime I add something new.

Some good points I havent thought about.

SSD:

On the same configurator theres the option of selecting an OCZ Vetex 2 50GB for 9 quid less. Im trying to find some comparisons but nothing in plain english. Is this drive substantually faster than the intel for gaming use? If it is ill take the 30gb drop.

I don't know if it will make any noticeable difference in gaming (probably not much as the Intels are good drives). As I have long argued, SSDs don't do a lot for gaming (beyond loading times) but the Agility 2s are definitely faster when using Premiere for example.

Cooling:

Thats good to hear. The case reviews point to good airflow so I think ill save the money.

Good airflow and you are good to go :)

PSU:

Im guessing its enough purely based on another configurator showing 2 x 480s with a 750W PSU (wing and prayer stuff maybe!). Its another £40 to go to the 1000W corsair so ill probably take it. If nothing else I guess i wont have to get the calculator out everytime I add something new.

I'd definitely opt for the 1000w, that way, you don't have to worry as you observed.

/10 chars

Edited by BangTail

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

The second one if you only have those 2 availiable for you. The 310 is not even a GT version, you won't be able to run most games on medium with that card.

See my signature for my notebook specs, I play Arma 2 on High... while Fraps'ing :D And check my YouTube channel to see what you can expect from a similar rig.

Although, a 4650 or a GT 330/335 with i5-430 CPU would be better than the laptop #2.

P.S. Here is a great resource on Notebooks: http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-4650.13883.0.html

Mobility Radeon 4650 Specs & review (multiple laptops benched, then AVG score(s) posted).

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

Ive been watching your posts on SSD's, 980X etc

Im planning to get one to speed up the OS and as you say loading times. With my work I also have to deal with lots of large PDF documents every few weeks (Forgot to mention, my bad)

Thanks for your advice Bangtail, I think im ready to buy now.

Edit:

Just one more thing, what do you think of of Corsair SSD's?

Edited by Mack.
another question I forgot to add

im having a computer completly rebuilt for me and its gonna have a hd 5770, 4gb ram. but idk what to decide an intel i5 or phenom iix4 which one should i go with.

If you can get the i5-750 (the only quadcore i5) get that one. Any other i5 and you're better off with the phenom IIx4 I think.

For 40 euro's more you can get an i7-860, wont perform better in arma 2 or any other game but it will in some apps.

Edited by Leon86

Ive been watching your posts on SSD's, 980X etc

Im planning to get one to speed up the OS and as you say loading times. With my work I also have to deal with lots of large PDF documents every few weeks (Forgot to mention, my bad)

Thanks for your advice Bangtail, I think im ready to buy now.

Edit:

Just one more thing, what do you think of of Corsair SSD's?

Nothing wrong with them, I've had the X128 and the X256 and I didn't have any problems with them. Haven't tried any of their SF offerings yet but I probably will in the near future.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/corsair-f100-force-ssd-review/

SSDs will help with your documents and do make the OS feel smoother overall, that's for sure :)

Edited by BangTail

Nothing wrong with them, I've had the X128 and the X256 and I didn't have any problems with them. Haven't tried any of their SF offerings yet but I probably will in the near future.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/corsair-f100-force-ssd-review/

SSDs will help with your documents and do make the OS feel smoother overall, that's for sure :)

I finally decided to buy this morning. After some last minute bargaining this is what ive ordered:

In the box:

"Ultima Viper" Intel Core i7 930 2.80GHz @ 4.00GHz DDR3 System 1

SW-129-MS Windows 7 Professional 64 bit OEM

MB-235-GI Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3

Motherboard

CD-099-LG OcUK 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM

HS-005-PL Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B CPU Cooler (Socket

775/1156/1366)

CP-318-IN Intel Core i7 930 2.80GHz (Bloomfield) (Socket LGA1366) - OEM

HD-211-SE Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM

(ST31000528AS)

FG-006-SH Sharkoon Silent Eagle 2000 120mm Fan - 3/4 Pin

MY-008-PA Patriot Viper 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 (1600MHz) Low

Latency Tri-Channel (PVT36G1600LLK)

CA-110-AN Antec 902 Nine Hundred Two Ultimate Gaming Case - Black

GX-134-OK OcUK Value GeForce GTX 480 1536MB GDDR5 PCI-Express

Graphics Card

CA-023-CS Corsair TX 950W ATX SLI Compliant Power Supply

(CMPSU-950TXUK)

HD-050-OC OCZ Vertex 96GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive

(OCZSSD2-1VTX96G)

NW-002-DN OcUK Value 300Mbps Wireless-N PCI Adapter

Monitor:

MO-033-BQ BenQ G2420HDBL 24" Widescreen LED Monitor

Total cost £1833 including VAT (UK sales tax)

Extras:

I also got a keyboard, mouse and a DVI cable bringing the total to £1917.

I think I got a reasonable deal. In the end I bargained to get the 96GB OCZ Vertex drive as the Intel was out of stock.

Thanks to Bangtail for the advice and a few others I forget now who advised me a couple of months previously.

I will post up some bench marks when it arrives in case anyone else is looking for a system at a similar budget.

Since nobody replied to my post last time, I'll post this again.

How well will ArmA run with my specs?

CPU: AMD Phenom 965 (3.4GHz)

GPU: ATI Radeon 5770 1GB x2 (Crossfire)

RAM: 4GB DDR3

Thanks.

Since nobody replied to my post last time, I'll post this again.

How well will ArmA run with my specs?

CPU: AMD Phenom 965 (3.4GHz)

GPU: ATI Radeon 5770 1GB x2 (Crossfire)

RAM: 4GB DDR3

Thanks.

Should be fine at medium/high settings (1680 x 1050) 2500-3K VD.

You really need to play with the settings yourself to find the 'sweet spot'.