Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas

ArmA2 3D Mission Editor

Hello guys. I was wondering if this has been confirmed or if there is any proof of there being a 3D Editor.  I was reading on Wikipedia and it says that it is one of the "Confirmed Features".  But I haven't heard anything, have you guys?

Pic:

i6l0yb.jpg

It has been confirmed a while ago, but there hasn't been any footage or recent talk of it so I think it was removed.

Ok, thanks for a quick reply. But, has anyone else heard anything about it?  I reaaaaally hope there will be a 3D Editor, makes it so much simpler placing units where we want them.

I wouldn't worry if Arma2 ships with no standard 3d editor, the one we have in arma is great and I'm sure it will be ported forward if the demand is there.

Southy

I wouldn't worry if Arma2 ships with no standard 3d editor, the one we have in arma is great and I'm sure it will be ported forward if the demand is there.

Southy

Are you talking about the RTE editor ?

I think he was thinking of an editor similar to the standard 2 D one , only with 3d features.

Also, don't forget that the Editor will be fully mod-able this time!

Whatever that means tounge2.gif

Eble : great? foremost its very slow (every mission maker will agree here), it takes ages to make a complex mission when in 3D 3rd party addon you set units in matter of minutes. That takes away a lot of testing HOURS.

This is a very interesting question. I thought of myself starting a thread about this.

Maybe we can get an official word on that matter. Would be great if it would be included. Would make things a lot more comfortable and easier.

All I hope for is that new mission editors aren't scared away by its complexity. If you get more mission makers, you get more variety in the game. If you get more variaty, you get the players of the game playing longer. If those players continue to play, you got yourself another BI loyalist!

I'd like to see an official/revised Arma2 Mr. Murrays Editors Guide 2.0 with the collectors edition of Arma2. Maybe a little cheatsheet booklet for the normal version? smile_o.gif

Real-time tutorials and quick reference cards would be nice too. I thought I heard them say "tutorials" a few times during the GC videos but I don't speak Czech  tounge2.gif

3D editor does sound nice though.

3D Editor would be nice, object placement and movement via drag-drop, including height would be very nice.

Additionally an auto-tool embedded in editor that would allow Addons import with description.ext output would be nice and save us a lot of work when writing a description.ext for a mission.

Another nice feature would be an imbuilt html editor with predefined segments for briefing as references for mapmarkers,etc. Another nice feature would be media - support for briefings, like embedding ogg´s for spoken briefings, video support for prerecorded target info or such. Customizeable windows, placeable by drag-drop to embedd video-window into briefings would be great.

Same goes for a texture channel in the main engine to create media windows during the mission that would show reconnaissance footage from UAV, videolinks and sattelite data.

Those are basically my wishes. biggrin_o.gif

Hopefully this doesnt' take away 2D editor huh.gif Probably there is no reason to worry about this... But heck i do it anyways. Just in case.

I cant' imagine how hard it would get to plan missions, set triggers, markers without good'ol 2D map. I generalyl dislike editors where i need to set triggers and all that in 3D mode. It soon becomes a mess.

Isn't this already a feature in VBS2? if so then that is great news because it would cut down on object placement etc when the icon doesn't represent the actual location in game.

OK, after reading that translation i´m not too positive for a 3D editor but in the end, who knows?

There's no mention of a 3D editor, but the modules DO sound interesting. I can't believe I've missed this interview...

Quote[/b] ]

How much will be the editor expanded with functions?

We didn't want to really change the GUI of the editor. Even though there are some important improvements, like, for example, more transparent sorting of insert-able objects and units. More categories were added and a sorting by 5 armed factions of the game. Another improvement are the so-called modules, adding more advanced elements into the mission. After adding a single object into the mission it can become richer of, for example, villagers in the villages. Similarly you may add modules for first aid, carrying of wounded, command interface for commanding whole groups and many other features.

It very simplifies work and even without knowledge of the scripting language you can create very complex and diverse missions.

I'll do the rest later smile_o.gif

Thanks for the translation.  I mean though, why can't they implement some of these features into ArmA II?  I'm used to the good ole' editor, just that it's much simpler making more complex-looking scenes without constantly testing to see if you placed it right.  I'll still use the regular editor to place Waypoints and triggers of course.  But just easier to place objects/units where i exactly want them without constantly testing.

Beginning/Middle 2008 there was a fully mod-able editor confirmed which also gots a 3D mode for better placing of stuff.

It was written in 2 Print magazines in germany.

mr.g-c on one day you laugh about articles/pictures and the other day you take statements from gaming magazines as "holy-truth"? Until BIS didnt show this editingtool ingame its yaddayadda  tounge2.gif

Hope that tools like 3DE and RTE did influence BIS developers and they made a new + userfriendly editor. Time to get rid of old OFP editor.

mr.g-c on one day you laugh about articles/pictures and the other day you take statements from gaming magazines as "holy-truth"? Until BIS didnt show this editingtool ingame its yaddayadda  tounge2.gif

Hope that tools like 3DE and RTE did influence BIS developers and they made a new + userfriendly editor. Time to get rid of old OFP editor.

Yes the 3DE and RTE are revolutionary.. i hope they do cont. there project. Mission editors would be very happy and more better missions would be released guaranteed.

Thats really humble that there will only an improved OFP-Editor.

I mean the editor is one of the mainfeatures of all games and why can't they improve it with a 3D Modus ? Matt said it, the comm. show us that it's possible. I mean the rest, with the modules sounds very promising and I'm curious about that feature, but now we have year 8 after the OFP release. Many other games were devoloped and included a 3D Editor, why can't it be for BIS Games?

There was an interview (in German unfortunately) in which we had a screenshoot which was suppossed to be from 3D editor but now the news on armedassault.info says that it was removed due to copyright issues. On the screenshoot we could see an Osprey, some buildings (all ingame, not in 2D editior) and at the bottom of the screen there were buttons: 'Load', 'Save', 'Restart', 'Clear', 'Preview', 'Edit in 2D map', 'x'.

There was also a dialog in which there were options:

unit (F1)

group (F2)

trigger (F3)

waypoint (F4)

vehicle (F5)

marker (F6)

intel (F7)

mine (F8)

soundsource (F9)

The news on armedassault.info is here (I think it's about the article).

Google translation of the German text:

Quote[/b] ]Even with Operation Flashpoint and Armed Assault unofficial successor Bohemia Interactive gifts of the community is an powerful editor, made specifically for missions.

The tool with which all fans to design campaigns, is also found in Armed Assault 2 again. Since the developer is known for large pieces hold their community, the editor was also developed. New is now, for example, a 3d mode. In this you can see the entire landscape before him, and moving figures, buildings and vehicles just to the desired location. In addition, resourceful inventor fit the editor's own needs completely: The tool will be completely modifiable.