Sign in to follow this  
laggy

Why not a medieval theme game from BIS?

Hello all,

I have enjoyed many years of OFP and Arma by now, both as a player and mission designer.

What I wonder is why BIS (afaik) never has concidered to make a game similar to OFP/ArmA in terms of engine/concept, but in a completly different time setting.

I would run to the store to buy a medieval or renaissance "ArmA" where you could experience huge battles and sieges from a 1:st person perspective. Games like Medieval Total War are never really immersive enough, just tactical and strategic.

Medieval times is a classic and popular subject and probably less demanding on your PC, due to the low firing rates of the weapons. Designing a function for hand to hand combat and horses is basically the only thing that's needed to make it work.

Maybe I'm the only one wishing for this, but I just had to bring it up since I've been wondering for quite a while.

Laggy

That game has already been made, Mount and Blade smile_o.gif

But yes I agree, the game engine seems to have a big potential to portray realistic warfare in pretty much any time period.

Medieval times is a classic and popular subject and probably less demanding on your PC, due to the low firing rates of the weapons. Designing a function for hand to hand combat and horses is basically the only thing that's needed to make it work.

Hundreds if not thousands of combatants all wielding at least one weapon, and probably also a shield, hacking into each other, requires quite a lot of processing power for animations and scripting. Games like the Total War series use less detailed models, and far less animations than an FPS-type game would require.

Different eras are interesting to think about, but you pretty rapidly run into major show stoppers. For example, the early days of guns has two major problem that I thought of without even trying:

-Long reload time (approx. 20 sec. for 18th century muskets), leaving you defenseless;

-Tactics of the time, being stuck in a battle line and being shot while not being able to do much about it, no matter how realistic, quickly takes the fun out of the game.

This era is just so much easier to translate into a game. Game design is not just a matter of "Can it be done?", but rather "Can it be done while keeping it enjoyable?".

"Mount and Blade" was the right idea, but not visual enough I'm afraid. My personal opinion.

Quote[/b] ]Hundreds if not thousands of combatants all wielding at least one weapon, and probably also a shield, hacking into each other, requires quite a lot of processing power for animations and scripting. Games like the Total War series use less detailed models, and far less animations than an FPS-type game would require.

Don't understand how that would differ from the massive amount of standard animations (not playmoves or switchmoves for cutscenes) in ArmA.

Isn't there tons of different ones already that are actually used in any mission/fight by the "default game engine"?

Multiple dying variations, standing, crouching, going prone, running, aiming, entering vehicles, throwing grenades, using RPG/M136 etc.

Thousands of units is maybe asking to much, but 100+ within view distance is already possible and working well in ArmA.

Laggy

the thing is all Fps games have very few animations, sure there are many that can be activated for cutscenes ect.. but making a game with swords and stuff in it, weapon animations for the game gonna skyrocket 10 fold.

Like doing animations for getting chopped with a sword or hit by a arrow and all kinds of stuff, but hey maybe one day.

I remember once Bis devs said they wanted to make a medeival rpg once a couple of years ago. biggrin_o.gif

Rpg's aren't my genre at all but I think they got the engine, they just need to tune it a bit, the art guys would get bucket loads of work cause not much of the art could be reused from Arma, possibly some wooden , stone sheds or small cottages and landscape probably. smile_o.gif

I don't touch Mount and Blade because of missing multiplayer component. And MP is what ArmA is all about smile_o.gif

(offtopic)They did actually announce a multiplayer component to Mount and Blade some days ago.

I agree the fights we saw in Mel Gibson's Pioneer would be pretty pointless to be played in 1st person.

Switch the scenario over to the Roman Empire period (what we saw in Gladiator) and you have a winner i guess.

About animations:

The way the LoD system works in ArmA could also be used for a LoA system (Level of Animation) i guess. If you see 100 fighters around you you won't notice the 30 ppl in the distance don't play HQ animations, a simpler attack & parry loop would work because you're mostly paying attention to your closest enemies.

God, i'd love to race across a battlefield with a horse lol tounge2.gif

I would much rather have a World War II one. I know the market has tons of WWII FPS's already but I think OFP/ArmA in WWII would be perfect. The engine is almost perfectly suited for it.

I would much rather have a World War II one. I know the market has tons of WWII FPS's already but I think OFP/ArmA in WWII would be perfect. The engine is almost perfectly suited for it.

With that new A2 island and its scheme, i'm pretty sure that there will be some nice WW2 mods for Arma2.

The choice was close or OT, so I went with OT, I appreciate the suggestion but I'm sure if Mr and Mr Spanel want to move into areas away from modern military simulation they have millions of ideas buzzing around in their heads wink_o.gif