Sign in to follow this  
walker

Ross Kemp: Return to Afghanistan

Episode 2 shows some nice scenes. Those civilian casualtys being given proper medical assistance has to be uplifting to all of us here in the rather bland western civilian lifestyle and who pay taxes to fund such a procedure. To think, those people would have had no chance if our soldiers where not as professional and as dedicated to their tasking of supporting the civilians and regeneration in the province.

For me, the image of that baby being comforted and cared for by a squaddie before being airlifted to Bastion is quite inspiring. If Ross and co can get the real image of what our lads are doing out there; people will become aware and support their effort.

Hi all

Last Sundays episode 3 was very good they showed British (Royal Irish Regiment) and Afghan Army guys conducted a deep penetration raid and captured guy. He had no weapon (stashed?), but tell tail bruising on shoulder and forensics showed he had been firing a lot of ammunition. He was let go after a few days. Hmm the possibilities.

From seeing the preview of this coming Sundays Episode 4 of Ross Kemp: Return to Afghanistan it looks like he got a whole lot closer to that action than before.

Be warned there is a Man Down event that some may find upsetting and a bullet misses Ross Kemp by small margin you see it ping the wall about 8 inches from his shoulder, (I swear you can see the bullet coming towards him and ping off the wall but it may be my overactive imagination).

On an I am sure totally unrelated matter the British and Afghan Armies conducted a joint raid on a Taliban strongholds and Drugs factories masses of arms and drugs were confiscated and destroyed and 20 Enemy Combatants (EC)were confirmed killed and 4 Captured.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7896408.stm

The increases in the numbers of captured Taliban may show that Al Qaeda is loosing influence. There are also apparently more foreign fighters involved, which seems to indicate that a decline in Wahabi influence in the frontier and that they are having to throw foreign fighters in to boost their numbers. This is also causing friction with the Afghan Taliban and Pakistani's in the Tribal Regions so that some are calling for truce. This has so disturbed Al Qaeda that they assasinated Pakistani Journalist Mosa Khankhel who was covering the Swat Peace talks.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7896974.stm

This comes only a month after a major raid where over 100 EC including a senior Taliban commander were killed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7810323.stm

Kind Regards walker

Hi all

Last Sundays episode 3 was very good they showed British (Royal Irish Regiment) and Afghan Army guys conducted a deep penetration raid and captured guy. He had no weapon (stashed?), but tell tail bruising on shoulder and forensics showed he had been firing a lot of ammunition. He was let go after a few days. Hmm the possibilities.

That was the Sunday before and that was with the Argyll's (Small Qats) not the Royal Irish Regiment.

Last Sunday's was with the Royal Irish Regiment who went on a patrol with the ANA into Musa Qaleh (spelling) when a suicide bomber appeared and later got into a heavy engagement with the Taliban.

Last Sunday's was with the Royal Irish Regiment who went on a patrol with the ANA into Musa Qaleh (spelling) when a suicide bomber appeared and later got into a heavy engagement with the Taliban.

Hi all

I think you may be right..

Kind Regards walker

Be warned there is a Man Down event that some may find upsetting and a bullet misses Ross Kemp by small margin you see it ping the wall about 8 inches from his shoulder, (I swear you can see the bullet coming towards him and ping off the wall but it may be my overactive imagination).

The previous episode had a person's guts hanging out, so if you were fine with that, then this won't budge you a lot.

But the near miss was really really close, luckly the wall was there to stop it. But a very near miss you can see the dust lift from the hit.

Other than that, the very last episode looks interesting, can't wait to see it.

Was it just me, or did he seem to be pissed off/unimpressed more than a few times during the latest episode?

He didn't look to impressed with the new psi-ops loud speaker setup did he  tounge2.gif

"Comon you Taliban, if you think your hard enough!"

It does the job tho, which is to attract fire.

In a way, who could blame him?

But well, it's what he should've expected. Nobody forced him to go and he could say no at all times. And it's his second time there so he knows what to expect.

But I'm sure that he's aware of that and that it was a momentary thing or it was at least outside the scope of the viewer. He probably also wasn't the only one tired.

But the near miss was really really close, luckly the wall was there to stop it. But a very near miss you can see the dust lift from the hit.

That was found to be a ricochet, the medic also mentioned that the injurys that the pretty wary squaddie had to his arm where also ricochets. That wall would not have stopped a bullet but it sure stopped Ross, the camera man and that section commander from possibly loosing an eye or worse.

Maximum respect to the lads, the ANP chaps and the Return to Afghanistan team. That kid definitely deserved his mention too.

Hi all

In reply to Pathy about Ross Kemp being "pissed off/unimpressed "

I think in this series he found himself a little too close to the front and he was starting to see his mortality.

You could see it in the bit where the CAS was to be called in and he expressed the wish that it was not used as it was to be very much a danger close straffing run. 50m I believe they said. The flight did a demonstration show of force flight as if it was doing the straffing run instead. It would have been right on the money at 50m but the pilot was nervous about it too, and spent a lot of time scoping it out.

Like MehMan I think the next episode looks interesting...

Kind Regards walker

Who would be a happy man if he keep waiting on a 500 pounder drop on to a location only 50meters away which was never came? Even the company CO are not impressed, in fact I think everyone included the fighter pilot are not happy about it.

Who would be a happy man if he keep waiting on a 500 pounder drop on to a location only 50meters away which was never came? Even the company CO are not impressed, in fact I think everyone included the fighter pilot are not happy about it.

Hi all

It was not a 500lb-er it was a straffing run so stated in the video, with the cannon at a guess.

Kind regards walker

Hi all

It was not a 500lb-er it was a straffing run so stated in the video, with the cannon at a guess.

Kind regards walker

yeah i know its a gun run, i just giving an example smile_o.gif

anyway, its kind of shock when seeing the ANP guy showing his battle marks to Ross sad_o.gif

That was found to be a ricochet, the medic also mentioned that the injurys that the pretty wary squaddie had to his arm where also ricochets. That wall would not have stopped a bullet but it sure stopped Ross, the camera man and that section commander from possibly loosing an eye or worse.

Maximum respect to the lads, the ANP chaps and the Return to Afghanistan team. That kid definitely deserved his mention too.

Yes, the man hit was by a ricochet. Very lucky indeed that none of his major blood vessels got hit too.

However Ross nearly got hit. If you watch that part you can see how close to them it was. If it ricocheted or dug into the wall is hard to say, I don't think anybody investigated.

And the ANP chief, woah, that's just amazing. I think he's one of the uncorrupt policemen.

If I recall correctly there was talk about better police training in afghanistan, again by foreign instructors, much like the army. Can anybody bring me up to speed on this?

Just a heads up.

Now that Sky here in the UK has deleted all of ross's new afganistan episodes..

They are still on LiveLeak wink_o.gif

sshhh whistle.gif

Anybody know why the metal seeker used to find IEDs was blurred out in the latest episode?

Anybody know why the metal seeker used to find IEDs was blurred out in the latest episode?

OPSEC (Operational Security). Once the OMF (Opposing Military Force) knows what they are up against, they can counter it. Like the shaped penetrator IEDs (something like $200 to make) that defeated tanks (worth millions of dollars) in Iraq.

Yes, it just looks very obvious that its a metal detector to me.

Unless it's different from the one in this video:

http://vimeo.com/2694535

(it's somewhere from the middle up)

then I don't see why they blurred it out in one show and not in the other. both on sky.

Unless it's different from the one in this video:

http://vimeo.com/2694535

(it's somewhere from the middle up)

then I don't see why they blurred it out in one show and not in the other. both on sky.

May be it's a new equipment in test?

Quite possibly. I know far too little about metal detectors to really say much.

i feel sorry for ross kemp, his whole acting/tv career he has been typecasted as a hardman!

i feel sorry for ross kemp, his whole acting/tv career he has been typecasted as a hardman!

Why do you feel sorry for him? He has done good since he left acting.

Even if his wife was using him as a punch bag, at least he did not drop to her level.

If he'd hit back his career would be in the gutters.