Sign in to follow this  
.kju

PROPER UI HDR Button in Video Options

PROPER_UI_HDR_Button_in_Video_Options.jpg

BIG

While loading ArmA without the addons folder I noticed that

there is a HDR setting in the default UI.

This addon integrates into the standard video options UI. smile_o.gif

You can set the value by hand in the ArmA.cfg too though.

Available settings:

* Normal: HDRPrecision=8;

* High: HDRPrecision=16;

* Very high: HDRPrecision=32;

PROPER_UI_HDR_Button_in_Video_Options_2009_01_15.7z

PS:

From what I can remember people always used

precision instead of HDRPrecision while editing the ArmA.cfg itself.

It didn't do much tests myself, yet this settings seems to have

a visual effect.

Overview provided by Rainbow!

properhdroptionso6.jpg

For me, the normal and high settings were identical to the normal setting, and the very high disabled HDR totally for some reason. That looked pretty poor.

Here we are looking towards the sun, 0600 in early morning

Normal:

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee327/sparks50banan/NORMAL.jpg

High:

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee327/sparks50banan/HIGH.jpg

Very high:

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee327/sparks50banan/VERYHIGH.jpg

For me it got darker on upping each setting.

With a very very slight fps increase.

How does it affect NVGoggles though? HDR pretty much blinds you every time you see a light at the moment, although there are other fixes for this annoying effect.

Funny, when I used it I noticed no difference between them. However I had a slight FPS drop. New NVIDIA driver maybe?

Had a very slight drop in FPS (2-3) with each step up, but on high, I love the way you can run around in large shaded areas ,ie hangars, without whiteouts.

Good find!

Did a quick test. I guess a 7800GT doesn't support 32-bit HDR so only the normal and high settings show up here. When I set it to high I can't use anti-aliasing, another limit with my card I guess.

It's weird that BIS didn't include this setting though, since the high setting should solve problems that bother some people.

From other people's posts the very high setting seems a bit bugged, the sun flare effect doesn't work.

The normal setting is best for me since I prefer AA, but I think the high setting should have been included for some people. Maybe something BIS can do for the final patch whistle.gif

Thanks for testing and sharing your results!

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">From other people's posts the very high setting seems a bit bugged, the sun flare effect doesn't work.

I would call that a desired feature. wink_o.gif

THANK YOU!!! I been waiting for something like this, tear assing round the jungle you suffer from those annoying whiteouts ... but not anymore .... biggrin_o.gif

Sav

hey Sav. so you use very high to have less problems?

PS:

From what I can remember people always used

precision instead of HDRPrecision while editing the ArmA.cfg itself.

It didn't do much tests myself, yet this settings seems to have

a visual effect.

I believe its the same as the original precision choices, 8,16,32, in the arma.cfg, though its nice to have the choice in the Video Advanced options.

PS, also only the NVDA 88XX(and 86xx?) and above(200) can do AA in game with 32HDR. It is the best reason to own a NVDA card for ARMA, My uber fast pair of 4870x2s are fail... at 32hdr and AA confused_o.gif

I tured it up and stood in a forest and recived a HUGE Fps Drop. From 50 to 15.. that was on the FDF island so for me its back to normal setting biggrin_o.gif

If this works in MP, as it probably does, removing the 'sun flare' might be considered cheating.

[EDIT]

Is this what you are experiencing ?

I do not have such an issue at all, not even remotely (that's on ATI HD2900xt).

For me it makes that AA is not working properly, if at all, when i use this mod on my HD 3650 512MB.

Without it AA works perfect.

Thanks Rainbow - attached your screen to the first post!

Could it be that only ATI cards have problems with very high / 32 bit precision?

So please include details about your card and driver version. Thanks!

Actually I have got GF8800GT and the latest drivers, and with the settings on Very High I have a big drop in FPS and as you've probably noticed there is no sun flare smile_o.gif

i use an addon to remove the sunglare anyways so chaning the HDR isnit an issue for me, but you can also edit these options within the user config anyways so it isnt all that new.

I didnt really see a drop of frams on rahmadi its when i got onto the big islands with lots of trees and forests etc

I use a 8800 GTX and recvied the huge drop in FPS and increased so called mouse lagg lol

This is why i think they took the option out of the game :P

Very strange since the ATi R700 chip is the only with native double precision 32-bits support.

I think we by now we know why BIS did not added something like this to the options menu. It works only for some people, and to others it screws up AA. sad_o.gif