Sign in to follow this  
guynumber7

ArmA is too hard

A good way to kill the AI is to get close to them, obviously because they are retards at close combat. It's a kind of cheat.

Another posibility for medium-long range firefights: After you located the enemy aim, wait and then shot. This, of course, if they haven't detected you, if they have, move slowly to another position and shot, and repit.

That's when you are with a small group (3-2 men), the other two cover while the best marskman shots.

If you have the twice of men, do the same but as soon as group A shots, B cover they movements getting the attention of the enemy. Then A, in their new position shot at the enemy and cover B movements. And you keep doing that until the enemy (or you) are dead.

Of course, this doesn't work with humas, but works as a charm with the AI.

Similarly, in a massive battle, the only thing that got to do is look for cover and wait for the AI to "forget" you in orther to attack higher priority targets.

As been said here treat Arma when you playing as you are in a scenario in real life, completely in real life when it comes to stumbling upon enemy and targets or targeting a group ... in that situation how would you act?

If you had a group of men with guns ready to kill you on-site in real life would you act in real life like you do in COD4?

The answer will speak for itself. Theres lots of rough edges in Arma but im refering to engagement and planning, treat it real as you can then think it through.

I have only been into Arma since november last year and im still learning biggrin_o.gif

Lower the enemy precision value in your player config if you think they're headshotting you too often.

Practice, practice, practice.

Surviving in a game like ArmA, or OFP, requires a certain amount of forward thinking to stay alive during an intense engagement. Things like keeping behind cover, keeping an eye on flanks while trying to put fire down on the enemy require you to be on the ball mentally. You need to avoid situations that would get you killed in real life.

For example, running down a lane with no places to duck and hide (and God forbid, an empty magazine) can turn lethal if two or so AI round the corner in front of you. The same idea applies to things like reloading automatically (as you can do in other FPS' ) when you empty a mag - because you can't move, you need to consider getting into hard cover before switching out mags.

But trust me, practice makes perfect. I recommend "Steal the Car" in OFP, and also either of the two "Steal the Car" ports into ArmA to work on solo fighting, and also "The Cause" campaign by Rejnorst to work on movement in rural terrain and fighting in a group.

yeah thats why most people get aggravted with this game.

its not BF2!!!. dont play it like BF2!!!. its nothing like BF2!!!!

its a military combat simulator. its big brother is VBS (Virtual Battle Space). theres a hint!

if you went to iraq and starting running around like rambo, you wont last very long. thats the point of ArmA.

Out of interest i've never played any COD games at all. I have a new GTX260 so just wanted to test things out so grabbed the latest COD4 demo.

Eye candy is great, performance great, to picture that im used to playing this game and then take this type of play to Arma = no bloody wonder Arma's hard!

This isnt a game knocking session but coming from Arma only then to COD4 for the first time it really is like entering a cartoon that looks nice biggrin_o.gif

Sorry if that's slightly off topic in certain ways. It makes you appreciate what you have when you compare eh.

You shouldn't have to rely on gamey exploits to beat the AI though. Thats partly how it is now.

Most of it are not game exploids?

You just make use of the given situation.

Read all the information and dont just pick out the easy ones if you like to learn.

If you dont, why not just move on.

Personally, I find that playing fast paced games like COD4 actually improve my aptitude in ArmA. They develop your reaction time and on-the-spot, close-up accuracy. Obviously, ArmAs playing-style is significantly different from COD4s. I've been playing OFP/ArmA since OFP's demo release way back when, so I'm very used to the gaming style. However, it's still enjoyable to kick back and play something that requires a lot less attention at times.

A gamey exploit would for example be engaging the AI at long ranges, where they wont fire back, unless you have AI mods running.

A good way to kill the AI  is to get close to them, obviously because they are retards at close combat. It's a kind of cheat.

Similarly, in a massive battle, the only thing that got to do is look for cover and wait for the AI to "forget" you in orther to attack  higher priority targets.

Yeah. This is pretty much my advice as well. However i'd like to explain bit of AI.

Few notes:

-AI spots you by audio and visual "fingerprint". if you hit someone, you make big fingerprint and if you shoot just misses you make smaller (they might not even notice you! ). Also more you fire bigger and longer lasting fingerprint you leave. Single shots are usually best way to go. Lying down in firefight even in open field is relatively safe if enemy doesn't get too close, as you mostly make noise and visual fingerprints by firing weapons or by moving fast and big. So if you don't feel like to be hero and your mates can clear the situation without you, best way to survive is just to lie down and not to do anything and by so you'd be most invisible to AI.

Movement isnt' as simple thing to discuss, but one general advice i would be willing to give you is that: Run only short distances, few seconds at max, idea is that you are down at the moment enemy is ready to fire at you. It's good idea to stealthy move away from spot where you landed, as that is the spot where they "lost" you and that can be the area they decide to shoot. Crawl fast or roll for atleast few meters. Remain still and silent for some time so that fingerprint vanishes and there you go. Ready for new try.

Fast is better than smaller (moving target is harder for AI too) but stealth is more important than fastness (not being target in first place). Fastly changing movement directions from side to side is one good way too for some situations if trying to move longer distances faster, if you can't hide from enemy.

My list about shooting at enemy:

-Try to neutralize your target(s) as few bulelts as possible and get into cover fast after firing first shot. I mostly used idea of exposing myself upto 5 seconds (or something), and within second or two after firing shot i went back behind cover. So i basically fired 1-3 shots at time.

-If no cover to be used but open ground, try to move as sneaky but fast (fast crawl and rolling are usually best options) to another spot.

-To make sure AI forgets your fingerprint wait something like 5-10 seconds. If you fired alot like full mag in full auto, or shot from rocket launcer remain longer in cover. 10-20 seconds atleast.

General:

-Try to make your fingerprint as small and short lasting as possible. If you draw fire, you'll die if not having solid complete cover. If not cover move away from your position.

-Plan your movement. Don't move with out planning where to go, how to go and is it safe to go.

-Closer enemy is faster they are able to "lock" into you. If it takes them seconds at several hundereds of meters, it might not take even one whole second at less than 50 meters. Closer enemy is, smaller and shorter your finger print needs to be.

I dont' remember was there same notes in ArmA as OFP's first campaign mission had about being hard target for enemy. Those rules are golden.

ArmA combat against AI is mostly disciplined performance of same pattern of actions. I swear there is not easier game to play (well it's relative term naturally) whey you learn those basics completely.

Personally, I find that playing fast paced games like COD4 actually improve my aptitude in ArmA. They develop your reaction time and on-the-spot, close-up accuracy. Obviously, ArmAs playing-style is significantly different from COD4s. I've been playing OFP/ArmA since OFP's demo release way back when, so I'm very used to the gaming style. However, it's still enjoyable to kick back and play something that requires a lot less attention at times.

I have to agree with you here, I can do up to a 4 hour patrol in ArmA and still feel the love, but I do enjoy a regular kickback in CSS for that fast paced action.

I found both games have improved my: strategy, reaction times and adaptation to situation and situation awareness.

I find myself both in ArmA and CSS, catching people off-guard and ability to "sneak" a lot better then I would a while ago.

smile_o.gif

EDIT:

I work with my team on a system of something a lot of WoW players would be familiar with: agro.

The more you shoot, kill, the higher your cost goes up in ArmA, which is effectively ArmA's version of "agro".

You'll notice all the ai (if known) will begin concentrating on that one player, so we even out:

a) The killing

b) If someones got all the "agro", they will remain in cover with the rest of the team covering them.

This process is part of the Ai target selection when given a choice, so naturally you want them to be evenly spread amongst the team, or you'll go down very fast.

Straight down the middle, full auto baby. Thats how rambo does it and thats how we do it.

I think he means AFTER the Rambo films turned into brainless time wasters tounge2.gif

I love that film by the way, one of the greatest films in the 80s and the latter ones... not so great.

I saw Rambo as a kid once but never fully remembered it, the later Rambos stuck in my mind with the blood and tanks blowing up with arrows. After watching First Blood again I found it really good.

what does this have to do with ArmA? If you come here expecting Rambo 6, you're more likely to find First Blood.

its not so much the AI accuracy but the stupidity of the missions. DESTROY A WHOLE BASE WITH 4 STACHELS and an AT4 ALONE?huh.gif WOULDNT THEY SEND A TEAM TO KILL A BASE WITH A DOZEN GUARDS HEVAVILY ARMED?? or destroy a convoy alone? or blow up a bridge and 8 tanks ALONE??

Would you stop yelling around here by typing in all capital letters? Thanks.

Ha, I don't think you'll find many people defending the single player campaign.

My advice:

1. Get in a decent multiplayer community - seriously, there's another world out there.

2. Download some of the better user made campaigns from somewhere like www.ofpec.com. I've only really played the Mig-15 campaign but I imagine there are some other good ones out too.  smile_o.gif

Rambo is based on me wink_o.gif I dont use arrows to blow up tanks, I use C4 attached to darts, more effective that way!

Quote[/b] ]Is the AI SUPPOSTED to be able to kill me from 500 yards away in the dark with an AK-74?

ITS IMPOSSIBLE to do anything without getting shot in the head.

i did lower the skill. whatver im too used to cod4

Well here are more people playing this game ArmA-like.

Quote[/b] ]

its not so much the AI accuracy but the stupidity of the missions.

If you want missions how you like - open the editor and start making good missions/campaigns. What are you waiting for?

If you want missions how you like - open the editor and start making good missions/campaigns. What are you waiting for?

that's what i do, some people when they make a mission don't understand the game and make it wrong.

they'll have to many starting units, encumbering the player, in the start with lots of enemy attacking at the same time;

or they will set up a scenario that will require you to precisely execute a linear path that gets old and annoying quickly. banghead.gif

please map makers, make open ended maps and PLAY TEST THEM!!!!

challenge is good, but if its near impossible its not fun....

alot of my missions are "here is a village, you have xyz, and enough men, they have almost twice what you have, kill it!" pistols.gif

yeah thats why most people get aggravted with this game.

its not BF2!!!. dont play it like BF2!!!. its nothing like BF2!!!!

its a military combat simulator. its big brother is VBS (Virtual Battle Space). theres a hint!

if you went to iraq and starting running around like rambo, you wont last very long. thats the point of ArmA.

And it's this sort of attitude that has helped to kill the community  confused_o.gif , the guy said that he liked CWC games and was asking if the AI were meant to be that way. Generally their not that hard, the only times u should die is when they 'cheat' (eg shoot though a tree trunk or my favorite is when they poke their gun through the wall and cap ya (u cant do shite lol  huh.gif ))

But mostly it's easily beatable and scripts make them better so just play play play and you'll get use to it mate  thumbs-up.gif

Here is the news:

The guy bought this game to have fun. He is not having fun (yet).

I was in the same boat, and I bought OFP on release day and had a ball with it. Arma was reluctantly shelved for a while, until I went into the .ini file and dramatically lowered the enemy accuracy - THEN, it became fun. My suggestion to the OP is to do the same.

There's a lot of bravado around here about how easily people can play this game at it's highest difficulty level, but the truth is, nobody cares. If lowering the accuracy to what I would call realistic levels (Humans are NOT robots) makes the game playable for some, shouldn't we be encouraging this? I mean OFP was hard enough, but was much more popular, and I think the insane difficulty of ARMA has only hindered this amazing game in the popularity stakes.

All lowering the enemy accuracy does, is give you a couple of seconds to react to that hidden soldier on the roof, instead of banging the reload key hundreds of times until you get him. Which is more fun/realistic? I think we all know.

The game would be infinitely more realistic AND more action-packed (fun) if we could reload and move on the fly, or hell why not let us do any number of animations while we're doing another animation? I'll tell you why: ArmA has an unnecessarily limited animation system that doesn't offer animation blending. How many times would you, if this were real life, let someone shoot at you while you're reloading? Wouldn't you move and reload (at the same time if you know what you're doing) to get behind cover while you're reloading? The AI is another issue: it tends to do whatever it wants whenever it wants. There are ways to get accustomed to the AI and animations, but they take practice and force us to adapt, not the other way around. I highly doubt that ArmA 2 is going to be any sort of improvement on the AI and animation system, since they've been virtually the same since OFP. banghead.gif