Sign in to follow this  
opteryx

Avgani Iraq 1.2

I think I've seen them fire in crouched position, not sure.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, Laggy made a demo mission for Avgani, you can find it here:

http://www.ofpec.com/forum/index.php?topic=32305.msg222190#msg222190

Also, it would be nice if the mirror hosts could update the opxplants.pbo so that the package isn't distributed with the buggy wheat.

Also, it would be nice if the mirror hosts could update the opxplants.pbo so that the package isn't distributed with the buggy wheat.

We have updated the island 1.2 download with the opxplants.pbo

You can find the Armaholic.com download page here:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=3525

Additioanlly for those who have already downloaded the island we have the opxplants.pbo update as a seperate download as well.

You can find the Armaholic.com download page here:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=3903

After extensive testing both on Opteryx's computer and my own, I can state for a fact...

*The AI do shoot when standing prone in the wheet-field. *

yay.gif

Thanks for another splendid release, Opteryx.

Edit: Sheeeeeet... I ment crouched, of course.

I had a proper go on this map today to take a break from things.

I have to say using Urban Patrol Script, Mando bombs/console for laser targets and airborne assaults running from radio and sitting in the transmit tower as sniper and controler ... it was very enjoyable indeed. Very nice map, had a quick wipe out with SCUD nuclear blast too, one building was left standing but apart from that it was flattened  tounge2.gif

This map set to July at 18:00 ... sunny & no fog, oooh its nice to be immersed in when hunting  pistols.gif

Very nice indeed great work.

EDIT:

Quote[/b] ]

The AI do shoot when standing prone in the wheet-field. *

Do you mean laying down prone AI will shoot if known location?

It was a brainfart. I ment crouched. I should've written crouched. I read prone. I know very well what prone is. Yet.. well. Brainfarts are evil I guess. whistle.gif

Is it just me or this new version is not working on dedicated servers? Server just crashes after hitting Ok in lobby, no matter what mission I select. Though version 1.1 is working without any problems.

Can someone confirm that version 1.2 is working on dedicated servers?

1.2 works fine on dedicated servers.

Xeno

@Opteryx

love your  work, you along along with several others have reignited my  passion for arma ...

one question

anychance of an empty desert terrain simillar to that surrounding the city of sakakah ?  

with the release of 3d editor programs it s an absoulte haven for wanna be base builders/mission makers like myself ...

great work mate   ....  long may it continue

notworthy.gif

greetings,

awesome map.. one of my favorites...

2 things:

1. after a ton of testing with fraps.. i get 60 fps in the city during the day (blank map) and 30 at night when all the street lighhts are on. 60 again (at night) if i shut all the streetlights off.

2. most important for me.. anyway.. is it possible to get the building positions put in with one of the future releases?

also.. i gave your map a shout out on Radio Sahrani... any chance you'd like to make an advert for your map or any other work? addons at this level and quality should have sometime in the spotlight...

well.. no matter what.. avgani rocks!

notworthy.gif

I agree that it is definitely the top Middle Eastern map in ArmA so far.  I've lived and travelled in the Middle East and I just get chills walking around on this map.  I can almost smell the flinty dusty smell of the desert.

The wheat fields however gives it an altogether different feel in those sections.  Much more like Lebanon.  I would KILL to see you make a nice Lebanon map as your textures and objects are spot on perfect for that region (which is very difficult to simulate in ArmA).

I tried my mod with IDF vs. Hezbollah using your island and the FFN Mod and it was outstanding. The IDF defended the firebase and had massive numbers of Hezbollah attacking from all directions. It was so eerie seeing them move stealthily through the wheat fields. During the battle they surged back and forth often popping up out of nowhere as your terrain offers many wonderful little dips and gullies that allow for excellent cover. With the FFN mod, the AI take full advantage of this and of the rocks and ruined buildings scattered around. This results in excellent pitched battles.

The only bug is that occasionally an AI manages to walk though the walls of the Sykes (sp?) compound. But that happens very rarely. What is more common is that if you get close to the wall, the enemy AI start shooting at the compound wall. lol

Also noticably missing is some type of airbase. An Airbase would definitely nicely round out the map. But even if one isn't built, its still an exceptional map with tremendous mission making potential and excellent frame rates.

I took this pic of some of my mod's 1970's IDF units in your wheat fields as it looked very much like Lebanon:

LoBo_HistoricIDF_Golani1.jpg

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Are there any SP or MP missions made for this island yet?

Even if there are plain simple.....

Yes, goto the editor .... have fun!  biggrin_o.gif

very helpful.....mrcash sad_o.gif

There are some availible at Armaholic. There are some at the end of the page.

Or you could check the MP server screen and browse and check. I found some that aren't in that list (some require addons though).

Now that i made my way in the topic, is it me or to non of the gates in the city work? If that was meant, personally i would love having animated gates. Especially for PiP mission this adds other escape routes (a nice peeping sound would be nice aswell so you can hear if someone uses them nearby).

Anyway, very nice map. Best urban city i have ever seen i think.

Quote[/b] ]anychance of an empty desert terrain simillar to that surrounding the city of  sakakah ?  

Not really.

Quote[/b] ]2. most important for me.. anyway.. is it possible to get the building positions put in with one of the future releases?

Not sure what you mean by this.

Quote[/b] ]Now that i made my way in the topic, is it me or to non of the gates in the city work? If that was meant, personally i would love having animated gates.

BIS objects, never were animated as far as I can remember.

I believe he means putting pre-defined positions in buildings. You can tell a group to move to a building and in the waypoint you can pick the spot to move to, like on a ledge, etc. The hotel building has like 300 of these spots defined. Most have 4 to 6.

This is really neat because it also allows us to place guys at these points in the buildings with scripts. I'd like to see building spots in there too!

Thanks for the map, by the way.

There are some availible at Armaholic. There are some at the end of the page.

Or you could check the MP server screen and browse and check. I found some that aren't in that list (some require addons though).

Thanks, this helps!

Didn't notice before, that at Armaholic on the site with the Addon, there are missions associated with it, which is a great idea! There is even a Warfare mission ported to Avgani!

Great island Opteryx!

After playing with it in the editor I felt, that there are very few billboards and ads in the city...also some more trash lying around would add to the atomosphere.

@doolittle thx for clearing that up. that is indeed what i was asking.

@opteryx.. smersh, who just released the russian building pack.. just added the building pos to his objects.. maybe he is watching this thread to throw some insight onto the subject.

but as doolittle as stated.. it is much fun to use random building position/patrol scripts.. especially is a city the size of avgani.

thanks again

@Opteryx: Regarding the building positions. That is very easy. First you need to make a valid path lod and make an Ai friendly path model (no need for a full poly path, tris work aswell since AI moves over the edges anyway). Then you need to add a few 'inX' named vertexes on the path. Where X stands for a number, starting from 1 and a much as you find is needed. Sometimes it is best to have less 'in-trences' as once the AI is on the path he almost always will move slow and stop running so that can be a pain sometimes. It all depends where the building will be placed etc...

Then you just add some named positions called 'posX'. Again X is a number starting from 1->as much as needed. Afaik it is best not to over do it with the psoitions as it gets harder for the Ai commander if not mistaken to navigate. Also make sure you don't leave out a number as that will break the functioning of the positions.

If you don't understand, have a look at BIS released MLOD buildings or synides released ones.

@Opteryx: Regarding the building positions. That is very easy. First you need to make a valid path lod and make an Ai friendly path model (no need for a full poly path, tris work aswell since AI moves over the edges anyway). Then you need to add a few 'inX' named vertexes on the path. Where X stands for a number, starting from 1 and a much as you find is needed. Sometimes it is best to have less 'in-trences' as once the AI is on the path he almost always will move slow and stop running so that can be a pain sometimes. It all depends where the building will be placed etc...

Then you just add some named positions called 'posX'. Again X is a number starting from 1->as much as needed. Afaik it is best not to over do it with the psoitions as it gets harder for the Ai commander if not mistaken to navigate. Also make sure you don't leave out a number as that will break the functioning of the positions.

If you don't understand, have a look at BIS released MLOD buildings or synides released ones.

Well I have added paths to most enterable buildings, if they're working properly or not I have no idea, don't care either to be honest  confused_o.gif

Yeah well sadly beside optimization and performence, good path finding is a very important thing. Often it isn't that hard.

If there is one big frustration i have, is when you order a unit somewhere (around or in a building that has path lod) and you get the nice 'negative' and standing still AI  crazy_o.gif . But i can't blame you, so many things to do..so less time.

In case you want me to check your building paths and set some positions and intrences, let me know. Unless where are talking about +50 buildings  tounge2.gif .

Anyway, personally i love building positions. It give the mission maker the option to quick script random units in random places, witch make the mission so much more fun to replay. But also as commander it gives you so much more controle over AI when you go 'in'. Worth considering the small extra effort imho. But your call. Keep it up!

PS: could it be that not all 'trash' has roadway geo? Thought i wasn't able to run over certain trashhills...could be wrong though.

Yeah well sadly beside optimization and performence, good path finding is a very important thing. Often it isn't that hard.

If there is one big frustration i have, is when you order a unit somewhere (around or in a building that has path lod) and you get the nice 'negative' and standing still AI  crazy_o.gif . But i can't blame you, so many things to do..so less time.

I don't really play ArmA.... and when I do it's a rare event so it's hard to prioritize something which I have little benefit of personally, naturally I want my maps to be playable, but certain things are just hard to bother with when you know there's no personal gain.

In case you want me to check your building paths and set some positions and intrences, let me know. Unless where are talking about +50 buildings  tounge2.gif .

Getting close to that. I appreciate the offer and will contact you in the event I should require assistance. smile_o.gif

PS: could it be that not all 'trash' has roadway geo? Thought i wasn't able to run over certain trashhills...could be wrong though.

Yeah I'm somewhat lazy, heh. I'll fix it for next release.