Sign in to follow this  
vo.2

VopSound

nice to be able to use your soundmod with a.c.e. now vo.2!

i really like the improvements to the bulletcracks.

however i think that EVERY projectile that moves with

supersonic speed should produce a "crack/bang", wether it's

annoying or not. after all getting shot at is a rather annoying

thing i would imagine wink_o.gif and realism is what most people are

after when playing arma. besides it's also a matter of

situational awareness. a bullet cracking close to you is the

first thing to tell you that you're being shot at...

in that respect i also agree with Alex[Dev]72 that if only one

bullet is fired it should only go "bang" once smile_o.gif

but like he said, it's your soundmod m8 thumbs-up.gif

+1 on all points. to replace ACE sounds means favoring realism.

Appreciated, versus.

I agree with your points.

I had bulletcracks for every single bullet in an earlier version but due to the temporarely "deafness" problem with repeating sounds, I decided to exclude machinegun bullets from cracks. VoIP communication was also a reason for this. There are still whizbys for these classes though, so its not completely unnoticeable. I think its good deal now, even if you couldnt satisfy everyone.  smile_o.gif

The "M240 fires 3 rounds with one single click" is not the best solution. But I hope you would agree, the rate of fire in ArmA doesn't match the real thing. The coax in real life has a frightening, heavy, metallic sounding sound, which is very hard to implement with a 0,1sec long shooting sound. This does apply to all machineguns in ArmA. After messing around with MG sounds for quite a while, I was suprised how much effect "the 2 or 3 shots per sound" has.

But if I could find a VERY good soundsample of a machine gun shooting sequence (m240, m249, PKM), I would love to try to replace the existing sounds and make the MGs souding as real as possible (especially the M249 is not my favourite sound, I have about 20 different sounds edited for this weapon now, and the one I'm using in this version is the best compromise regarding rate of fire and personal taste tounge2.gif ).

Appreciated, versus.

I agree with your points.

I had bulletcracks for every single bullet in an earlier version but due to the temporarely "deafness" problem with repeating sounds, I decided to exclude machinegun bullets from cracks. VoIP communication was also a reason for this. There are still whizbys for these classes though, so its not completely unnoticeable. I think its good deal now, even if you couldnt satisfy everyone.  smile_o.gif

The "M240 fires 3 rounds with one single click" is not the best solution. But I hope you would agree, the rate of fire in ArmA doesn't match the real thing. The coax in real life has a frightening, heavy, metallic sounding sound, which is very hard to implement with a 0,1sec long shooting sound. This does apply to all machineguns in ArmA. After messing around with MG sounds for quite a while, I was suprised how much effect "the 2 or 3 shots per sound" has.

But if I could find a VERY good soundsample of a machine gun shooting sequence (m240, m249, PKM), I would love to try to replace the existing sounds and make the MGs souding as real as possible (especially the M249 is not my favourite sound, I have about 20 different sounds edited for this weapon now, and the one I'm using in this version is the best compromise regarding rate of fire and personal taste tounge2.gif ).

hm, yeah...that "deafness" thing can be annoying. i hope they

get that under control in arma2.

however, i took the liberty of exchanging some of the "whiz"

sounds in your config with "crack" sounds and haven't noticed

anything big so far. i think this mainly depends on the

db-values set in the config (and your db-values seem to work

fairly well). therefore it also shouldn't make any difference

wether you use a "whiz" sound or a "crack" sound, right?

unless arma actually analyzes the wave spectrum of the

soundfile on the fly. (???)

concerning the rof in arma...i was under the impression that

the a.c.e. mod adjusts the rofs to realisic values? if it doesn't

that would be a feature to request! smile_o.gif

if you're interested i could do some research and make a little

"real life rof" mod to use in tandem with vopsound. of course

the higher the rof the more likely it is that the weapon will

start to sound "mechanic" since arma "cancels" one shot sound

of a weapon as soon as the next one starts preventing the

sound from "overlapping", which is what it would do in real life.

arma does not do this however with the supersonic crack

sounds...yet another reason to leave them in for mgs! wink_o.gif

i'm afraid i can't help out with good sound samples of an

m249. but here are some video sites other than youtube:

http://www.liveleak.com/

http://www.combatvids.com/

http://www.militaryvideos.net/

you probably know them already. unfortunatelly bad quality

and handycam mics make most of the stuff useless.

edit

unearthed another one: http://www.apacheclips.com/

Some ideas again. wink_o.gif

Played tonight and noticed the motorbike (2 wheels) sound like a car. And the lightnings when bad weather is i think one sound file that sounds more bomb-ish. Would be nice with maybe 2 randomly played, and with a more real sounding rumble/crackly sort of sound.

Super soundmod though all in all. Real bangy. smile_o.gif

/alex

wicked sound MOD. love it notworthy.gif

VOP with UKF's Jackal vehicle addon produces a little weird thing. When the jackal grenade launcher fires and your far away from it the sound is loud as you were in the car firing yourself.

I posted this over at their addon thread as well as i dont know where the problem lies. Just a heads up. wink_o.gif

Using VOP latest with the VOP Config Fix and ACE.

Alex.

72 @ Mar. 02 2009,05:14)]VOP with UKF's Jackal vehicle addon produces a little weird thing. When the jackal grenade launcher fires and your far away from it the sound is loud as you were in the car firing yourself.

I posted this over at their addon thread as well as i dont know where the problem lies. Just a heads up. wink_o.gif

Using VOP latest with the VOP Config Fix and ACE.

Alex.

They're using their own sounds and config, its not a VopSound problem.

----------------

I've checked their config, they've set the db value for all vehicle mounted weapons to +20, which is waaaay to much. db0 or db-5 would be enough.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE"> class UKF_Shared_Mounted_GMG : MK19 {

displayName = "L134A1 HK GMG";

sound[] = {"\ukf_shared\Sound\gmgsingle.ogg", db20, 1};

dispersion = 0.005;

};

sound bug with M136

It is easy for repeating, simply put rifleman (M136) in the editor, press "preview", then take in hands M136 and shoot, except a sound of a shot of a M136 you as will hear a sound of shots from rifle

ACE 1.04, VopSound 1.18 with fix

thx

I'm modding Domination, and now I get "vopsound" entries under addOns and addOnsAuto in mission.sqm. This means that the server and all players needs to be having this sound mod. I don't think this happened when I was testing FDF Sounds.

I can start editor without vop loaded, then I can save a mission without this requirement, but I don't think it should happen at all, if this is possible to fix.

Edit: Oh, btw. Not sure if this is vop related, but the KA52 now sounds excellent while the KA50 variants still sounds like a sawing machine on speed. This is using @VopSound_ACE_1.18.

Just open the mission.sqm file and remove Vop sound from the addons-list in the top of the file. This way you can have the mod active, and not make it a requirement for others playing the mission.

Ok fair enough. However i hear your greande fire sound when i play.

I think more people than me play ACE+JACKAL's+VOP so i just wanted to help as this is such a good soundmod. So it gets fixed. Again i post in their thread and inform them about that it might be their config.

/Alex

sound bug with M136

It is easy for repeating, simply put rifleman (M136) in the editor, press "preview", then take in hands M136 and shoot, except a sound of a shot of a M136 you as will hear a sound of shots from rifle

ACE 1.04, VopSound 1.18 with fix

thx

Anyone else with the same problem?

I'm not able to reproduce this.

Is there anyway to increase the volume of the sounds as seen in the video?  They seem to be very quiet in game (or maybe I am doing something wrong).

Any ideas?

Is there anyway to increase the volume of the sounds as seen in the video?  They seem to be very quiet in game (or maybe I am doing something wrong).

Any ideas?

vo.2 and me (vo.1) are discussing almost every sound. its very hard to make it fit for everybody. we also had a long sessions to set the volumes for our vopsound config. it would not be a that hard to increase the weapon sound volume but maybe other people may got disturbed by these changes. the other option would be to release different configs, for everybodies taste. I guess vo.2 and me will find a good solution to make you guys have the most possible fun and athmosphere ingame.

greets vo.1

I'm not very into config editing and addons, but how do I write my own config so that I get the KA52 sounds also on KA50 and KA50_N? Although I love this soundmod, this sound is just horrible, sorry... My current workaround is to disable the KA50/KA50_N in my mission altogether and just have the KA52 which actually sounds like a chopper.

I tried a method that would work with ACE previously, but when I now add this mod after ACE and Vop, the vehicles are not available in list and createVehicle them will crash ArmA with no warnings. So I guess I'm messing up somewhere tounge2.gif

mabey just louder and more distant sounds.

louder explosions.

louder sonic cracks. id love to hear a nice loud POP! CRACK!

Noticed the SAW for the first time lol. It got faster rate of fire as well. 2 audible shots for every 1 shot. It confuses a bit as you think youll laying down a super shower of bullets and you miss. The SAW is easy to shoot 1 shot with so to make the uber soundmod even more uber i think that should be fixed. I can maybe forgive the vehicle faster rate, but the hand held weapons should relate. IMO ofcourse.

Someone mentioned heli sounds. I thaught the apache could be more like ACE was. It was realistic. It has kinda sharp sound. Just an idea anyway.

Keep it rollin!

Alex

Usually I'm staying clear of sound mods, because generally I don't really like the sounds some making, but this one definetly worth download, it will be on my hard drive for a very long time. I like the new sound of the weapons, the AK-47's sounds are my very favourite, you feel the weapons sheer power from the sound smile_o.gif

If I might suggest one thing, can the M249 sound be made a little sharper, like the sound of the SAW from this vid (from GK) at 5:45. Not the same sound neccesarily, but a little bit more "woodpecker"-ish smile_o.gif

I'm not very into config editing and addons, but how do I write my own config so that I get the KA52 sounds also on KA50 and KA50_N? Although I love this soundmod, this sound is just horrible, sorry... My current workaround is to disable the KA50/KA50_N in my mission altogether and just have the KA52 which actually sounds like a chopper.

I tried a method that would work with ACE previously, but when I now add this mod after ACE and Vop, the vehicles are not available in list and createVehicle them will crash ArmA with no warnings. So I guess I'm messing up somewhere tounge2.gif

Open the config, search for Ka50, delete the "soundengine" line.

I have to admit that the sound is not really good, but I couldnt find a better one since the first version. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote[/b] ]Noticed the SAW for the first time lol. It got faster rate of fire as well. 2 audible shots for every 1 shot. It confuses a bit as you think youll laying down a super shower of bullets and you miss. The SAW is easy to shoot 1 shot with so to make the uber soundmod even more uber i think that should be fixed. I can maybe forgive the vehicle faster rate, but the hand held weapons should relate. IMO ofcourse.

Someone mentioned heli sounds. I thaught the apache could be more like ACE was. It was realistic. It has kinda sharp sound. Just an idea anyway.

Keep it rollin!

Alex

Machinegun issues fixed. SAW, M2Browning and M240 sounds replaced as well.

Quote[/b] ]mabey just louder and more distant sounds.

louder explosions.

louder sonic cracks. id love to hear a nice loud POP! CRACK

I'm not sure about the explosions, they are quite loud atm, but distant and nearby cracks overhauled.

Quote[/b] ]Open the config, search for Ka50, delete the "soundengine" line.

I have to admit that the sound is not really good, but I couldnt find a better one since the first version.

Bah, off course biggrin_o.gif I was arguing with myself that I had to use my own addon to do the change, since otherwise I wouldn't get into any signchecked servers. But naturally that wouldn't have helped any biggrin_o.gif I will make an edited version and see what happens. Thanks.

Btw, the problem isn't just the 'quality' of the sound, but also how the KA50_N and KA52 is missing, meaning they will get the default ACE sound (which in this case I think sounds better). Earlier ACE sounded even worse I thin iirc.

Here are the changes I ended up with. Note the pitch change. The SU family sounds are way too highly pitched. Could possibly by changed in the sound itself, but I'll live with this. The sound file has very audiable looping, which is reduced a little with lowered pitch as well, kind of a bonus effect.

Line 3701 onwards (tabs to spaces):

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

class KA50 : Helicopter {

soundEnviron[] = {"\VopSound\Vehicles\cobraenv.wss", db+20, 1};

soundDammage[] = {"\VopSound\Misc\masterwarningrus.wss", db-20, 1};

insideSoundCoef = 0.0025;

occludeSoundsWhenIn = 1;

obstructSoundsWhenIn = 1;

obstructSoundLFRatio = 1;

occludeSoundLFRatio = 1;

};

class KA50_N : Helicopter {

occludeSoundsWhenIn = 1;

occludeSoundLFRatio = 1;

};

class KA52 : Helicopter {

occludeSoundsWhenIn = 1;

occludeSoundLFRatio = 1;

};

class Mi17_MG : Helicopter {

soundEngine[] = {"\VopSound\Vehicles\mi17.wss", db+25, 1};

soundGetIn[] = {"\VopSound\misc\incar.wss", db-60, 1};

soundGetOut[] = {"\VopSound\misc\incar.wss", db-60, 1};

soundDammage[] = {"\VopSound\Misc\helialarmrus.wss", db-20, 1};

occludeSoundsWhenIn = 1;

occludeSoundLFRatio = 1;

class Turrets : Turrets {

class MainTurret : MainTurret {

soundServo[] = {"\VopSound\misc\null.wss", db-95, 1};

};

};

};

class Mi17 : Mi17_MG {};

class Su34 : Plane {

soundEngine[] = {"\VopSound\Vehicles\su27.wss", db+40, 0.3};

soundEnviron[] = {"\VopSound\Vehicles\su27_engine.wss", db+40, 1};

soundServo[] = {"\VopSound\Vehicles\servo_flaps.wss", db0, 1};              

soundDammage[] = {"\VopSound\Misc\masterwarningrus.wss", db-30, 1};

insideSoundCoef = 0.005;

occludeSoundsWhenIn = 1;

occludeSoundLFRatio = 1;

};

class Su34B : Su34 {

};

class ACE_Su27_Fam : Plane {

insideSoundCoef = 0.005;

occludeSoundsWhenIn = 1;

occludeSoundLFRatio = 1;

};

Note that I'm not sure if the KA50_N and KA52 entries even does anything.

This sounds VERY promising but I can't figure out how to use this with ACE. There are really no instructions for installing icon_rolleyes.gif.

When I enable sound mod AFTER ACE in the shortcut I get no sound effects. What I've done is replaced the .pbos in the @'mod' folder's addons with the .pbos in ACE Replacement folder.

EDIT: Oh, and I have 1.19, the newest version from ArmAholic.

You did change this in the ace_clientside_config.hpp correct?

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">/*

ACE_OVERRIDE_BIS_SOUNDS

When defined, ACE sounds are used for default arma classes

When undefined (commented out), Default ArmA sounds are used for default arma classes, meaning they can be freely overriden by soundmods

*/

#define ACE_OVERRIDE_BIS_SOUNDS

This is all I can think of. Unless there's something wrong with the file you DL'd.

EDIT:

Just in case, you need to change this:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">#define ACE_OVERRIDE_BIS_SOUNDS

to this:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">//#define ACE_OVERRIDE_BIS_SOUNDS

I did not change that, didn't see it in the readme.

If I change that I can still play online, correct?

You may want to add a mirror to 1.19 here. Here's the link.

EDIT: I changed the file and I still get the same effect. There are voices but no gunfire or other sound effects. Here is a picture of what my folder looks like.

Folder01.png