Sign in to follow this  
rossiski

Kind of disappointed with a 4870x2

Check also if your MOBO firmware is updated...I also had a hard time with my 9800 GX2...

To really aprettiate your rig run single player....there are some servers that can slow you down.

Quote[/b] ]Check also if your MOBO firmware is updated...I also had a hard time with my 9800 GX2...

This isn't a router hes updating its a motherboard. The proper term is BIOS not firmware. banghead.gif

Can you try one/two settings for me?

Crank everything to max setting except view distance (set to whatever you like). And turn off AA and set Post Processing to lowest setting. What do you have (@FPS)?

Now turn off Shadows. What do you have?

I'm on the northern Island in the town of Hunapu.

Everything cranked except for AA disabled, post process effects on low, and blood on High (highest it can go). View distance is 2300m.

1600x1200 = avg 33-36 fps, going up to 45

1900x1200 = avg 28-33 fps, going up to 40

EDIT: I am using the new 8.8 Catalyst, which I believe seems to be working better.

What ".exe" are you using, i get the low FPS you had, with the arma.exe, but get my vsync 60fps with "fear.exe"

runs fast, now i will see if i get the nvda crash...

Can you try one/two settings for me?

Crank everything to max setting except view distance (set to whatever you like). And turn off AA and set Post Processing to lowest setting. What do you have (@FPS)?

Now turn off Shadows. What do you have?

I'm on the northern Island in the town of Hunapu.

Everything cranked except for AA disabled, post process effects on low, and blood on High (highest it can go).  View distance is 2300m.

1600x1200 = avg 33-36 fps, going up to 45

1900x1200 = avg 28-33 fps, going up to 40

EDIT: I am using the new 8.8 Catalyst, which I believe seems to be working better.

What ".exe" are you using, i get the low FPS you had, with the arma.exe, but get my vsync 60fps with "fear.exe"

runs fast, now i will see if i get the nvda crash...

Hi KK,

I'm using the ArmA.exe.  In the Catalyst Control Center, there's no option to use a different profile.  Crossfire appears to be enabled by default with no need to worry about the software.

EDIT: Unless I don't know enough about the CCC...  Hmmm.

EDIT 2:

I ran two instances of GPU-Z, each tracking the different cores.  Attached is the screenprint.  Does this mean I'm not running one of my cores?  I took the screenprint right after Alt-Tabbing out from ArmA.

BothGPUZs.jpg

try fear.exe or oblivion.exe

Didn't work with either.  I'm still showing one GPU with zero activity in GPU-Z like my screenprint above.  Anyone know if this would be considered normal activity under GPU-Z?

I'll try my other PCI-E x16 slot, the one furthest from the CPU.

Didn't work with either.  I'm still showing one GPU with zero activity in GPU-Z like my screenprint above.  Anyone know if this would be considered normal activity under GPU-Z?

I'll try my other PCI-E x16 slot, the one furthest from the CPU.

in that case just keep bombarding AMD.ATI for ArmA.exe support !

I'm now running on the furthest PCI-E x16 slot on my X48 Rampage Formula mboard.  

I had to use Driver Cleaner and then reinstall the 8.5 drivers from the CD.  The 8.8 drivers were pulling errors during install.  

I now have both GPUs running, I think. I'll next try to update to 8.8 CCC.

BothGPUZsB.jpg

ARRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!

Now Futuremark Vantage shows Linked Display Adapters = False.

I guess that's bad.  Maybe I'll have to move back up to the other PCI-E slot.

EDIT: I did hit up ATI Support like Dwarden advised.

drivecleaner is over kill. can set you up for issues when using a new card( new in just released ) and drivers for the card...

The 8.5s from MSI where way over the top with MSI crap, so i did the addremove, and installed the 8.8.522. They do run better.

http://www.lavalys.com/beta/everestultimate_build_1491_hz5xgcf2jmn.zip

get that, and set it up to log your gpus ect, its a trial but it does cover your 4870x2..(File/Preferences/loging...)

Are you using fraps, or ECSmod frame counter?

drivecleaner is over kill. can set you up for issues when using a new card( new in just released ) and drivers for the card...

The 8.5s from MSI where way over the top with MSI crap, so i did the addremove, and installed the 8.8.522. They do run better.

http://www.lavalys.com/beta/everestultimate_build_1491_hz5xgcf2jmn.zip

get that, and set it up to log your gpus ect, its a trial but it does cover your 4870x2..(File/Preferences/loging...)

Are you using fraps, or ECSmod frame counter?

Using Fraps for testing purposes.

<Universal>This isn't a router hes updating its a motherboard. The proper term is BIOS not firmware.

Except, if you are going to start being pedantic, that BIOS is a subcategory of firmware  banghead.gif   banghead.gif   banghead.gif

I bet the CPU is the bottleneck your cranking up all the detail and distance way above what Operation Flashpoint used to be and we have only gained around 1Ghz since then with the CPU while the graphics have got 10x more powerfull. I wish they would patch it up with multithreaded ability so at least some of the stuff runs on the second CPU. Faster hardrives will speed up the massive scenery loading in and out. Puting the pixel resolution up magifies what the GPU has to already do so does antialising and shadow.

I bet the CPU is the bottleneck  your cranking up all the detail and distance way above what Operation Flashpoint used to be and we have  only gained around 1Ghz since then  with the CPU while the graphics have got 10x more powerfull. I wish they would patch it up with multithreaded ability so at least some of the stuff runs on the second CPU. Faster hardrives will speed up the massive scenery loading in and out. Puting the pixel resolution up  magifies what the GPU has to already do so does  antialising and shadow.

That's a really good suggestion.

I'm currently running my E8600 at 4ghz.  My effective FSB is 1600MHz.  I bought the Velociraptor hard drive because it's the fastest out there, outside of solid state (which I was seriously considering, until I found out Vista isn't supported very well).  

I'm at a loss for words if my system is too slow.  I thought it was bleeding-edge, state-of-the-art.

Here's some comparison's to the resolutions I'm trying out.  Note the FPS counter in the upper left.  It's the shadows that are killing this card.  Does anyone play this game with shadows on?  How are you making this possible?  Multi-GPU rigs?

1024x768ss.jpg

1280x800ss.jpg

1360x1024ss.jpg

1600x1200ss.jpg

1900x1200ss.jpg

EDIT: this link confirms some of my findings above.

"ArmA: Armed Assault was playable with a HD 4870 X2 at 1,680 x 1,050 with a minimum frame rate increasing of 27fps. A single HD 4870 can only manage a 20fps minimum at this resolution while two HD 4870s in CrossFire only produce a 23fps minimum at 1,680 x 1,050.

At 1,920 x 1,200 the results are a little peculiar. At this resolution a single HD 4870 is faster than both a HD 4870 X2 and two HD 4870’s in CrossFire - the HD 4870 X2 runs at a 18fps minimum, a pair of HD 4870s at a 20fps minimum and a single HD 4870 at a 21fps minimum. While none of the ATI hardware on test can run ArmA at 1,920 x 1,200, the GTX 280 can, with a minimum of 28fps and an average of 51fps."

Looks like your running only one GPU in game. Same as the review site you linked. I am not sure if Vista is allowing you to run both gpus, if you rename them. Which you have to do in ARMA to get CF/X2 to work.

You can have both GPUs showing usage/temps going up, and still not have both rendering your ARMA. You can tell real fast because you will get 15pfs to doublish (5 less) more fps.

I can't believe that you have a problem with that rig...

I got 2870, c2d 8400, and 2 gigs of ram. And can ran game maxed out, lowest FPS i get is in forest, and its 30? sometimes 25.

And Catalyst 8.9 sucks, on ym rig made graphicsl bugs in arma, such as stretched out textures, and lines sticking out of the terrain.

hold on there... you have a 4870? not a 2870?

And i see allot of ppl say "max" but never say there res, Max what?, your running high AA...?  

Ros is using 1900/1200 and my res 1600/1200. I can run high AA with 16hdr and the rest on veryhigh,  (well i have stopped using  Post Process) which gives me 30s at times even a 20 here and there, such is this game, but vanilla ARMA is easy to get my Vsync 60fps, but bizy MP/WarFare with all sorts of flames and smoke, down right crazy amount of AI shooting, its 40s with dips at the spots that dip. Oh and ECS mod.

8.9cats  right over the top of the 8.8s, dont uninstall.  XP32 sp3.

Played about 6hrs of wacked out Warfare,LAN (nocrash!! ) my 4870x2 was about 10fps faster than my 9800gx2(on my buddys comp,177.83) and he runs at 1400/900 max with PP on high, he hit single digits a time or two in the uber flame smoke death fest it was in ortego, i saw a 22fps...

All i need now is a 280gx ( and not eat for a week) to round out the top cards. i would think that is the card for this game. May have a lil less frames but wont microstutter when you tank in the 20s. Still i like my 4870x2.

Jmc reported that 1gb 4870 does not have stutter.Though he tested on empty map only.Btw gtx 280 was fastest card for arma in one test i found.Does anybody have any experience about GTX280?Faster than Ati?Stuttering?

EDIT:here is link for the test results:Test

Yes, I had a 280 OCX and it was fast. Much better than the 8800 Ultra it was going to replace. But, all Nvidia's I have tried crash with ArmA.

Now have a 4870X2 and it is the fastest of them all - running in crossfire mode with all settings highest except post process (the effects I don't like). Oh, and absolutely no crashes! Fantastic.

I bet the CPU is the bottleneck your cranking up all the detail and distance way above what Operation Flashpoint used to be and we have only gained around 1Ghz since then with the CPU while the graphics have got 10x more powerfull. I wish they would patch it up with multithreaded ability so at least some of the stuff runs on the second CPU. Faster hardrives will speed up the massive scenery loading in and out. Puting the pixel resolution up magifies what the GPU has to already do so does antialising and shadow.

That's a really good suggestion.

I'm currently running my E8600 at 4ghz. My effective FSB is 1600MHz. I bought the Velociraptor hard drive because it's the fastest out there, outside of solid state (which I was seriously considering, until I found out Vista isn't supported very well).

I'm at a loss for words if my system is too slow. I thought it was bleeding-edge, state-of-the-art.

Here's some comparison's to the resolutions I'm trying out. Note the FPS counter in the upper left. It's the shadows that are killing this card. Does anyone play this game with shadows on? How are you making this possible? Multi-GPU rigs?

Try switiching shading detail to high or very high.

You'll find that higher end cards do better on the higher shaders, as there was more optimisation written for them.

hold on there... you have a 4870? not a 2870?

And i see allot of ppl say "max" but never say there res, Max what?, your running high AA...?  

Ros is using 1900/1200 and my res 1600/1200. I can run high AA with 16hdr and the rest on veryhigh,  (well i have stopped using  Post Process) which gives me 30s at times even a 20 here and there, such is this game, but vanilla ARMA is easy to get my Vsync 60fps, but bizy MP/WarFare with all sorts of flames and smoke, down right crazy amount of AI shooting, its 40s with dips at the spots that dip. Oh and ECS mod.

8.9cats  right over the top of the 8.8s, dont uninstall.  XP32 sp3.

Played about 6hrs of wacked out Warfare,LAN (nocrash!! ) my 4870x2 was about 10fps faster than my 9800gx2(on my buddys comp,177.83) and he runs at 1400/900 max with PP on high, he hit single digits a time or two in the uber flame smoke death fest it was in ortego, i saw a 22fps...

All i need now is a 280gx ( and not eat for a week) to round out the top cards. i would think that is the card for this game. May have a lil less frames but wont microstutter when you tank in the 20s. Still i like my 4870x2.

Right now i can't run game at all.... new ATI dirvers cause BSOD, when i start it. But last time I played resolution was 1440X900. And warfare sucks anyway, it lags, while FPS is 30+...

bummer USSRsniper, Is this a new install, or did you have other drivers/cards? You can delete your .cfgs( Arma, playername ) and delete the .rpt, and .dmp's in your C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\ArmA.