Sign in to follow this  
OChristie

Al Kfrir - Afghanistan

Ladies and Gentlemen,

2725584416_505950da53.jpg<span style='color:red'>> 100kb</span>

Al Kfrir - Afghanistan

This map is 1024x1024 in Visitor 3,

It is a fictional map based in Afghanistan.

It includes:

1 Airbase

1 Large Town

5 Small Derelict Tows

Large Road Network

Power Station

Working ILS

No Names on Map....Yet!

Many Little Easter Eggs!!

No Lag after testing or during

Download Links

Megaupload Mirror

Armed Assault.info Mirror

Armaholic Mirror

Thanks To everyone who tested this,

Have fun,

Feedback welcome!

blackknight63

Thank You to everybody who mirrors my Map!!!

---------------------------------------------

Until my Posting starts working, I will release this here:

Ladies and Gentlemen

2725002637_fcae1ffe4b.jpg<span style='color:red'>> 100kb</span>

Central Germany 2x2km

This map includes:

Accurate Town

V.Accurate Road Placement

Accurate Forest's

Accurate Military Base

Loads more cool features

Download Links

Megaupload Mirror

ArmedAssault.info

Thank You all in Advance if you Mirror my Map,

Any Feedback is Welcomed,

Thanks All & Have Fun

blackknight63

Thx For the work...but these are the worst islands that ever been released for ArmA.

Thank you for your somewhat negative feedback, can you please explain, what makes them

Quote[/b] ]the worst islands that ever been released for ArmA
and maybe provide some of your own work to suggest that you have the right to say that!

Have a nice day

blackknight63

3 weeks work on two terrains? crazy_o.gif

Man I spent 3 months on Sakakah ( and still not up to my standard) and 4 and a half months on Avgani (still not done). Although I've done other projects in between I'd never even consider releasing anything at such a short development time.

I think you need to reevaluate what you're doing.

I spent 3 weeks full on no break apart sleep and eat on the Afghan Map, and then the Germany Map i have spent 4 Months on.

Sorry, these are not good. No heightmap, the "Forests" are all the same tree, at the same rotation, at the same size, and too close together. Your town in the german map is okay at best, your roads don't line up with each other right, and your sat-map has got black in it, looks terrible. I'd be much more likely to use one map you spent 6-10 weeks on to make it look good than this, or a remake of Spearhead '44 for OFP, it was small, but was very detailed and playable.

While they could use improvement, I can commend you on producing more maps from the middle eastern theatre.

blackknight63, you are free to email/contact me and I'm willing to help you to develop terrains.

Thanks for you hard work and spent time. Please try out Opteryx's masterpieces and not forget to visit OFman's Uhao... for Germany see excellent Schmalfelden.

Try to improve your maps with new editing tricks or maybe focus on a new project with significantly smaller sized island used for infantry combat only.

I've tested both maps now and they were deleted faster than you could say "unusable".

Let's begin with your Afghan map:

Well, no doubt it has good performance.....there isn't anything that could hit performance. Ground has one single desert texture, even in Towns. Even guessing that it may have desert ground in towns, the presence of human beings would have completely altered the appereance of the ground.

As i'm speaking of towns...they look like ghost towns to me.....it doesn't seem as there lived anyone at anytime. People leave traces, garbage lies between the buildings and a lot of small things that make a town "alive". Take a look at Opteryx Avgan Map and you'll see what i mean.

And might you explain the sence of those lost oil pumps, one each square kilometer? No dirt track leading to them, no fences or barracks....they look as they were dropped from the sky by random.

Tactically it is also a nightmare. The area is too open (almost flat, no view blocking obstacles at all) so approaching a town is....well...suicide commando, no matter from which side. Also here refer to Avgan Map, even it is only a single town, it's surrounding opens a lot more tactical possibilities.

Now to your Germany map:

It is flat.....completely flat. I know, there aren't always large mountains in germany but the terrain is at least a bit slopy. Goin up and down for a few meters. Walk through the Schmalfelden map and you see what i mean.

It's a forrest. Guessed 89% of the map is forrest. The forrest consist of one single tree, repeating endlessly.

Also here i miss the details that make the area "alive".

Also here the advice: look at Schmalfelden how it can be done.

You said to Berliner19 to "provide some of your own work to suggest that you have the right to say that!".

Well, i'm affraid i also can't show some own work as i'm not into map making. Just because i know i couldn't make it as good as a Uhao, Avgan or Schmalfelden.

Maybe you should ask yourself if you're able to do so. If you can truly consider "yes, i can" then please do so and i would be happy to test it and, if it's really good, to use it.

If you have to state that this is best you can do, then maybe you should step back from island making. Maybe you can do modelling or scripting.

So please, for those 2 islands, change version number from 1.0 to 0.1 and work on it another few month.

@Pavehawk: Thank you

@gsleighter: I will look into it more, Thank you for your feedback

@Kalimar: Thank you, from now on i will map for the middle eastern theatre

@Snake Man: I will PM you now

@IceBreakr: Thank you for your positive feedback, duely noted and I will definetley look into all infantry maps from now on

@Myke: Thank you for your constructive criticism, Without people like you maps would never improve all of your suggestions have been written down and i will act on them when i have time, I know i am not amazing at maps but i do try to fit them in, I also thank you for justifying your reasons as to why you dont like them, and i respect you for that.

Thank you all

blackknight63

Maybe you should ask yourself if you're able to do so. If you can truly consider "yes, i can" then please do so and i would be happy to test it and, if it's really good, to use it.

If you have to state that this is best you can do, then maybe you should step back from island making. Maybe you can do modelling or scripting.

Dude.

No need to attack the future potential of someone based on a first tentative release. I'd bet if everyone's first map were as good as these we'd be inundated with great maps all over the place right now. As it is, it's hard enough even to GET a map working ingame, never mind the painful feedback for tweaking and improvement ideas.

I mean, criticize all you want, that's what these releases are for, but aiming squarely for the guy's confidence is a low blow. I think BK63 should carry on developing these maps, not because they are good, but because they can be better, and because making them better (and learning how to) is one of the great ArmA pastimes.

@BK63, they are great maps for a first release smile_o.gif a lot of the criticism you've already had, and by reading it I suspect a lot of it can be improved by learning how the object placement system works in Visitor, things like random rotation, random sizing, random leaning even. And a lot more "incidental" details like clutter, mess, roads etc and I think you can call these maps a great beginning smile_o.gif

Looks like you'll be getting some tips with terrain height techniques as well so things are already looking highly favourable, I look forward to seeing more smile_o.gif

I agree on the above poster. What you think of the results is ofcourse what the forums are for. But i dont see why anybody giving free time to make stuff needs be fully put in place.

People that dont enjoy it can simple delete it is it? Leaving words for improvements for the maker is a good thing but going completly on somebody will get you only one thing: no more new island makers. I also dont see why number of hours spend seem to be a factor. For all i care schmalfelden came out of a ripoff from a old commodore C64. Its about the island maker that enjoys making it and about him sharing the results. For your and his enjoyment. There is no fame to be gain here.

Some "feedback" i see here and in the comments in the different mirror locations is the shame here and not publishing something some dont enjoy.

The islands leave lots of room for improvement but its up to the island maker to choose if he wants to spend that time and its up to the gamers to find out if they want to use that map. There is no hard words needed.

Anyway, as a amateur island developer myself, ur free to contact and i be happy to give you my little knowledge. However, if you as a island maker think ur island is fine like it is, the please dont give a rats ass what others think of it.

This what is been seeing today makes you start to wonder why release something for the community at all.

@DMarkwick & spirit

I apologize, the words were choosen maybe a little hard. It wasn't my intention to demoralize BK63.

For sure i respect the work thats behind it but honestly, all those time doesn't make the island better.

All i'm saying is: (if) you can do it better, (then) please do so.

And as it is stated as final (version 1.0) i looked at it with this in mind.

Ok, now maybe a comment, thinking they are stated WIP, version number 0.1

They have potential. The afghan map has nice arranged towns but i miss details (as stated before). Also try to make different ground texture in town areas.

The roads in towns aren't connected to each other, please work on that too.

The space inbetween the towns is too large and too empty. Maybe scaling down the area by keeping town sizes might be an option. And maybe an oasis out in the desert....just more of anything.

The germany map needs general improvement. The wide forrest areas hit badly on performance. While on Schmalfelden extra heavy vegetation i have ~23FPS, on this map it dropped down to ~10FPS. This makes the island unusable.

The military base is too big. Keep bases tight as the area has to be patrolled and surveilled. Maybe putting the helipads outside the base could be an option.

The town....well, i get no inspiration there. Also here i miss details that makes it alive. Use google maps to study some villages and towns, how they are grown, what type of buildings they have (barns, farms and so on). Also walking through Schmalfelden should give inspiration on how to design a german village.

Also i miss Objects out of town area like farms, a barn near a corn field, a hut in the hood. Also the road net isn't far away to be complete. Think of the dirt tracks leading to the far edges of a corn field. Schmalfelden is a really good example for stuff like this.

As a first attempt and version 0.1 not bad but needs a lot of work and time. At current state it isn't interesting nor usable (performance).

@DMarkwick & spirit

Thank you, both of you for supporting me,

I will be the first to admit that these maps will never match up to the big 3 (Schmafelden, OFM Uhao, Avgani) but as these maps are just for fun and to practice certain types of combat on i didn't spend that much time.

The level of detail in the maps, may not be huge but in certain parts of Afghanistan the sort terrain used in mine is what is found, maybe the airfield is abit random but it is good to have on there i thought.

I love seeing new work from other Island makers, and i support them in every post saying good work etc, and i expected back, or at least a polite suggestion on how i could improve, as demonstrated by a few previous posts in this topic.

Over time I will be improving these maps and they will gradually become better but they will not match up to the big 3 i do not believe, when i have time i will work on it. I am very busy with 5 separate VBS2 and ArmA projects at the moment so i have to work on alot of different maps and content etc so i am very very very busy atm, Priority's are very important to me and these two maps are important but there are other more "Urgent" problems at hand!

But again both of you and previous polite people thank you for the support!

@Myke

Dont worry it takes a bit more than very very constructive criticism to break an English-mans spirit, Apology accepted.

That is true, and the phrase, Rome wasn't built in a day comes to mind.

If i could do better i would definetley do better so i could give all of you something to use! Noted.

As said above I have priority's but expect and update within 3 months for both maps. The Germany map wasn't designed for ArmA it was designed for VBS2 and VBS2 focuses on Realism and Details, the buildings and everything in that is pretty much sat-accurate all the tree's are in the correct places, and those blacks marks, are the tops of the trees in the forests. I tried to recreate it accurately for you all.

I will be updating the Germany map soon enough.

If you would like to use these maps feel free if not don't post and say I am not using this or something stupid like that, if you are going to say that, please justify that with a decent reason not a "BF2" style reason.

Have a nice day all,

blackknight63

ive had a breif look at the two islands personally and ill say good work as a form of encouragement for you now to look at your creations and work and improve them and you may just might end up with 2 masterpeices so all im gonna say is keep it up

fences.. you need more fences mate smile_o.gif

and lots of lots of compounds biggrin_o.gif

Blackknight63-

Remember the source files for Schmalfelden are available:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ajnv6m

Not only can you get some ideas and learn about the variables involved in placing objects and other things, you can cut and paste anything you think might be useful on your map if that makes it easier. Be sure to import templates to get the objects in your .pew file first. After that you could, for example, copy a block of woods, paste it on your map and then trim it down to fit the area on your map. No need to recreate the wheel, so to speak.

Good luck!

Thank You V.V.V.Much Nicholas,

That is extremely kind to let me and the other members get there hands on this amazing map!

Thank you very much,

blackknight63

Congrats mate,

Well done I really like this map, it gives me space to test new stuff on, it also not too flat, I like that, lots of higher ground tactics can be used on this map..To me its not about how many objects & stuff you place, its about how the terrain flows, and this flows real nice...

Again, well done great work so far, keep it up!!

Best Regards

Mark XIII

Thank you very much Mark XIII

It is nice to here a supportive comment, I will be working on more detailed terrains shortly.

Thank You,

biggrin_o.gif

blackknight63