Sign in to follow this  
sander

LLW - L16A2

The addon is a straightforward port from the original OFP addon. The L16A2 mortar can be found on side Independent, vehicle class LLW - Static. A simple demonstration mission that can be played in both MP and SP is included in the archive.

The archive contains the addon pbo in the folder named Addons and the demomission in the folder named Missions.

Download location

Regards,

Sander

RACS should have had this during the invasion from the SLA biggrin_o.gif

pistols.gif

Is there a chance we could have a portable version kind of like the LGI in the Operation Frenchpoint package!?

BTW, very cool weapon and something different from your average assault rifle! thumbs-up.gif

a briliant new weapon for insurgents aswell, one problem though can't get AI to fire them

Hi,

Thanks for the mirrors.

===

As specified in the readme file the AI is limited to use of the primary charge rounds, although players can take advantage of the additional charges to reach out and touch targets that are located further away. The AI will only fire at targets that they can see, but when they do spot them coming they will fire a devastating barrage at about 200-300 meters distance. Having someone, whether AI or player in the same squad as AI mortar gunners, spot targets will help them engage targets provided the gunners have line of sight.

Regards,

Sander

the big problem with the AI fireing is that everu round hits the exact same spot...

i would like a bigger dispersion..

Is there any way you could have this use a similar system to the OFrP mortar, so the rounds arc into the air rather that shooting straight forwards?

haha. well fun.. seems you cant set a range

Yes, having tried it, it's a bit basic in operation. You can

select a charge system to adjust the range of the bombs,

but the sight doesn't work anything like the real C2. The

effect on target of a two or three bomb stonk by the AI

is good to see, though.

ya THe ai DOSENT EVEN SHOOT THE bloody motor when i told em to fire at a static target or a squad of slags that are disarmed / banghead.gif

I think between your model and ACE's interaction UI we could really get this functioning correctly like what we had for WGL, someone from ACE will contact you about it if they haven't already. Other than that great model.. biggrin_o.gif

Aiming is primarily done by guesstimates and use of the Force, by observing the fall of shot and adjusting accordingly one can walk the rounds to a target. Practice makes perfect.

===

A grenade launcher type weapon using fully correct memory points for barrel start and muzzle would be 100% unusable by AI. This is a compromise setting to have an AI crew to open fire at least within a limited range.

===

A WGL style deployable mortar would be great, be our guest to implement one in ACE using the model.

Regards,

Sander

The model is nice and this mortar can be a valuable asset but as I was testing it, I have found 2 annoying points :

1° in game, the weapon is not shooting indirect fire as a mortar but as a direct fire weapon, so it can't be used as a mortar to shoot a target just behind an obstacle.

2° it's generating a huge arma.rpt file

The AI only open fire when the enemy get within 50m nearly point blank.  Anyway to change its engage range for the Ai.

Well next step could be to generate a script that checks the range to the target and forces AI to select the correct ammo type.

Seems that AI shoots rounds in a strict order based on type (once the standard rounds are out it starts to fire with the next ammo type (charge 1). After all 1 ammo are spend it switches to charge 2 and so on.

Well first, welcome back Torni. Unless you've been around and I just missed you, it's good to see you around.

Second, I concur. That's really all that's necessary in order to get me to incorporate into missions I've been working on for months. I really wanted to use this but I had too much trouble getting the AI to hit anything, so I replaced it with a different weapons for the moment.

I thought I saw a script around here a while back that would work well with this. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find where I saw it or remember the correct name. I tried to get one of the Artillery scripts to work with this but had no luck.

Maybe one of the Mando Series Script Packs could be updated to include mortars. Not sure which one would be the proper place for it, possibly Mando Guns or Bombs.

That guy's the second coming of Jebus when it come to this sort of thing. Maybe he already has something in the works....

whistle.gifwink_o.gif

Seems that my first theory was wrong. However - I made just some small changes to the configs and it seems that now the mortar opens fire at targets up to some 1,5-2 km away (AI crew must still have a LOS to the target). biggrin_o.gif

Just saw an AI mortar to destroy a Mech BMD-1 with constant bombardment. the moving AFV blew up about 700 meters away.

Seems that my first theory was wrong. However - I made just some small changes to the configs and it seems that now the mortar opens fire at targets up to some 1,5-2 km away (AI crew must still have a LOS to the target).  biggrin_o.gif

Any chance you could post what you did?

Sure. I just give it a few more tests to see that the new configs won't cause any unexpected problems.

OK. This is a quick and dirty fix, but it will give you a functioning AI mortar with a greater range.

1) unpbo the pack

2) open the configs file with a text editor

3) in cfgWeapons change "grenadeLauncher" to "D30" in the both lines

4) save the cfg file

5) re-pbo the folder overwriting the previous version

Under player control everything works just about as before (different ammo types for different ranges) and nothing more needs to be changed.

If you want to have a far firing AI mortar do the following in the editor:

1) set ammo to the lowest possible (out of ammo)

2) add as many range 4 magazines as you want in the editor by entering into mortar's Intialization field:

this addMagazine "llw_l16_charge4"

Each magazine adds 20 rounds. Do not worry an AI mortar will fire at the closer targets too with this ammo. It just uses the far range limitation.

Seems that grenade launchers have a range limitation of about 500 meters under a AI control. Changing Weapon Class into a gun removes this and allows an AI mortar to fire at more distant targets.

EDIT: I can do a re-release of the mortar with the new configs if needed. But since it is not my addon to begin with it is perhaps better that the original author does it.