Sign in to follow this  
Blue_Flight

New VBS2 features

I think the major diference here is in the use of the software, thats all.

True, but different uses demand different tools.

A gamer's definition of "realism" and the military's definition of "realism" aren't always the same.

For example, many gamers find 3rd person view to be 'unrealistic', while calling 1st person view 'realistic'; therefore many disable it on MP servers.

The military often finds that 1st person view decreases situational awareness so much that it is unrealistic, making 3rd person view necessary and useful.

Gamers often think that things like pressing a key in order to deploy your weapon's bipod would be 'realistic'. To the military, this just be annoying and a waste of time, as it adds nothing to training.

To a gamer, more complicated controls to simulate simple RL tasks is considered 'realistic'. To the military, using a mouse and keyboard to simulate running and shooting is NOT considered realistic. However, there are certain training outcomes they can get in VBS that are either too expensive, too dangerous, or too complicated to train in real life.

Lets make a Poll what gamers want? That will sort your differences out. but i have to agree with General Barron  smile_o.gif but its hard to find what people want as everyone is different.

Lets make a Poll what gamers want?

The answer to that question isnt hard.

Gamers tend to want everything whistle.gif

... and for free, without bugs and of course immediately smile_o.gif

... and for free, without bugs and of course immediately  smile_o.gif

"Give it to me, or I will scream and scream until I make myself sick!" said Violet Elizabeth.

Hey,

Dont remember where i read it but something about the UK forces is almost complete... Anyone know if they will be apart of the VTK and if any other new armies... (i know that there will be some new US Army content).

Thanx.

Hey,

Dont remember where i read it but something about the UK forces is almost complete... Anyone know if they will be apart of the VTK and if any other new armies... (i know that there will be some new US Army content).

Thanx.

There is a VBS2 forum for any VBS2 customers - questions like that really belong there.

Hey,

Thanx.

There is a VBS2 forum for any VBS2 customers - questions like that really belong there.

But isnt this thread for the new features of VBS2 also called VTK, so whats this thread about if not related to news about VTK...

The UK content is a multi-facet contracted content and functionality update. Functionality updates I expect will be likely be in the VTK related engine updates. Whether the content is approved for general VBS2 user distribution is up to the terms of contract between the MoD and BIA.

The UK content is a multi-facet contracted content and functionality update. Functionality updates I expect will be likely be in the VTK related engine updates. Whether the content is approved for general VBS2 user distribution is up to the terms of contract between the MoD and BIA.

Thanks smile_o.gif That was just the info i needed.

Wow,I must admit the thermal imaging and FLIR were definately impressive.

However like Dslyecxi said, a number of those features can be seen in Arma II...one being the building, we see a building with a hole but we don't know if that is set for fure or dynamic...I'd be willing to bet its sort of 'set'.

Which we also saw in ArmaII of an Abrams tank attacking a house, you destroy parts. Sure its not dynamic but in the long run its easier on the performance of this scale. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCQaJh0lnRA&feature=related see, (Note this video and those with it were released around August of last year (and even the video was shown to be placed on youtube in 07..yet the viewers somehow easily miss that point)

There is also a video (earlier then this I believe) showing AI walking down a street, most of them stuck to the building sides, could strafe, lean and I believe gave hand signals, still looking for this one.

There is also a video (earlier then this I believe) showing AI walking down a street, most of them stuck to the building sides, could strafe, lean and I believe gave hand signals, still looking for this one.

http://arma2.acci.cz/videa

One of the things I have yet to see anyone mention is the inherent network security that must go into a public release. A military customer operating the software on closed computer networks in controlled conditions doesn't worry about someone deciding to hack the game causing all sorts of mayhem.

Just think about all the work that would have to go into securing everything involving the AAR module? IL2 hackers are *known* to abuse the function of their AAR recording options to achieve "God's eye views" of the game while it's in progress. I'll just leave the some of the pains ArmA has gone through involving this with "nuff said."

No doubt in my mind USMC and other entities have said "That's nice, but can we have this too?" and backed it up with a contract to get it done. They're not there to fund the R&D for BIA/S to implement the features they paid for, just to have them turn around and make even more money off of it releasing it to the public in ArmA. I'd be rather pissed if I asked a friend to make me a nice birdhouse, and I fund him the money to figure out how to give my feathered friends SatTV, just to have him turn around and start selling that to others with out asking me or setting up some sort of way for me to get paid back. I'd be really pissed especially if I gave him access to this invention I made to shrink sat dishes to something that'll fit on a birdhouse.

BIS isn't the only company to do this. Games like Steel Beasts and Dangerous Waters (Tanks and Navies) have had their development companies become overly preoccupied with military contracts. Even when they're using only slightly modifed off-the-retail-shelf software like Combat Edge in the UK with their F-16 pit sim experience running Falcon 4.0, they still find it MUCH more profitable to just work with militaries.

Let's face the facts: would you rather spend all that time and money developing something that "might" be a retail sucess? Or rather get a known amount of money upfront to make something from a customer you know won't default on you, and will most likely return for repeat business?

It does hurt though that a lot of us would *love* to have some of those fancy nifty toys to use. I'm really in love with the real-time deployment of units, both enemy and friendly. I think it would be awsome to have more "RPG Game" style elements like "gamemasters" working against a team of players. Tools more in line with what you get in NWN than an FPS game. You wouldn't have to sit there, pouring over scripting and other things to make Coop MP missions, taking days to produce a viable mission. You could literally do it on the fly with nothing more than "A combined arms force takes a town from a group of well armed opponents with only light vehicle support" idea in your head.

I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best and see what makes the jump to ArmA2.

You cant go onto the internet with VBS, just via network/LAN.

Definitely not true, there might be no server browser and it is not needed but of course you can connect to a server/other computer via the internet.

There's no GameSpy browser because 1 - it's obvious not appropriate and 2 - it wouldn't work in an 'offline' military network. VBS can see anything broadcast in a LAN situation, and if you're routed you can manage that as well.

I ordered my VBS-2 VTK Edition today, so now its just a question of time before i will start that gaming... biggrin_o.gif

I ordered my VBS-2 VTK Edition today, so now its just a question of time before i will start that gaming... biggrin_o.gif

Gaming...., Ner, Simulation-ing...., Yes, and yes i do own a copy of VBS2.

ArmAOfficialTester1123

A.K.A

blackknight63

Welcome Aboard!

Ollie

Arma 2 should have alot of these features.

Why else, on there site they write

"Ultimate military simulation."