Sign in to follow this  
franze

F/A-18E/F Super Hornet

I got one question here:

what does FLIR's feature on Hornet addon?

How do I operate it?

There is not FLIR image enhancement available with this addon. The best you have is the ATFLIR pod view which can be controlled by the commander.

Hornet works in single player in 1.14. Not confirmed for MP yet.

Discovered a couple of issues with the landing gear:

1. In some cases it's possible to hear the sound of the retracting gear from several kilometers away, for example if you're flying an AH-1.

2. The landing autopilot doesn't lower the gear automatically.

Just have to add a feature request, G-effects, is it possible to implement the visual effects of pulling high G? Like Redout for high negative G and Brownout -> Tunnel vision -> Blackout -> G-LOC for high positive G? If possible made global so it work for all fixedwing A/C.

BTW. is the G-limiter permanently on or off? Either way, could it be made toggleable?

And finally, is it possible to override the hardcoded throttle setting (Idle - Cruise / Auto - Full) and make it linear as it was in OFP? It's really annoying when using the throttle on the joystick and can really screw up your final approach and ingress runs.

Also, just noticed that it's possible to use the ATFLIR pod even if it's not mounted, my guess is that this has something to do with the game engine.

bug: AI pilots cannot eject and survive - they get to the point where they separate from the seat, but don't 'attach' to their parachute - and fall to their death.

Is there the possibility for the mission maker to remove certain weapons from the arming menu? For example, can a mission maker prevent the player from using certain weapons like standoff glide bombs or cluster weapons - but be able to otherwise let the pilot pick whatever loadout they want?

By the way, how does one activate the script switches in a mission? Is it a case of entering the commands in the init box, or is it something different? How does one go about that?

Here's a link to the F/A-18E/F in action, launching and landing on the USS Nimitz, bombing, and air to air combat by pilots from =dB= Clan (www.dbclan.net) this past weekend. I captured it in-game with Fraps. The youtube video shows the arming menu as well as watching the Rhino get lined up on the catapult for launch from the flight deck.

Why can't BI release official vehicles/addons.

User made vehicles are great but no one will ever get to use them apart from sp missions and playing around in the editor... seriously great effort guys but I figure they are all kinda useless unless everyone dl's them and map makers put them in their maps and that combination is never going to happen... sad really...

Well, that's the idea. If the addon is worth it it will be used, missions will be created using this addon, and as a matter of fact, they are getting done, every day, lots of ArmA users make missions using every single addon created. Some may never get saved to any hard drive, but them 60 minutes expended on messing about with an addon in the editor are well worth it.

I create lots of missions for my own use, some of them change every time I load them, maybe I add an extra edge to it by adding another addon, maybe I expend two hours trying out somebodys weapons, or just confronting two armies in a field with me watching as a neutral unit from the top of the hill. Who cares?

No addon is usseless as long as somebody loads it in the editor and gets some funn out of it, even if is just blowing it away, lol.

I know what you are trying to say, and I suport you on that, but at the same time I find a lot of use to them.

There is people who create missions for clans to use on their servers that uses addons. I bet you they are having some good fun.

Visual bug in the canopy, if you stand outside the aircraft and look thru an open canopy you can see the sky even if you're in a hangar.

@1976[APS]

Wrong, mp missions wich using custom addons exists. Even missions from BIS don't use all original ArmA addons/objects etc. Maybe you should ask mission creators to implement some addons. Just because custom addons doesn't appear in all missions doesn't mean that they are useless.

@Renegade Commando

Thats an ArmA bug. wink_o.gif

Visual bug in the canopy, if you stand outside the aircraft and look thru an open canopy you can see the sky even if you're in a hangar.

This bug is with all glass on Arma aircraft even the BIS standard ones.

if you place a plane on the runway and look thru the glass at the hangar, the hangar disappears and you can see off into the distance.

Apologies for the very late reply.

@Renegade Commando

- Gear retraction sound - thought I fixed that several months ago, haven't noticed it since.

- Landing autopilot only lands the aircraft, gear control is still on the part of the player.

- G effects on pilot - tried but the effects I was trying to use wouldn't work right. You can toggle the Over-G script with the fz_f18_nog = 1 variable.

- Throttle override not possible, hardcoded.

- Usage of ATFLIR pod is always possible even if not mounted due to game design - just uses the gunsight view to go to ATFLIR view.

@HailStorm

- AI pilot eject should be standard, unless it's F/A-18F with human crew. Sometimes the AI won't eject and sometimes their ejection sequence will not work well. If it's only crewed by AI, then they should eject via standard game function.

- Weapon limiting - yes, it's possible, but requires arming to be set up in the mission rather than through the addon. I don't have any instructions for this offhand.

- Script switches can be in any global area, activated through init script or init line or even by trigger (although triggers are unreliable for this purpose).

@Sniper121

Great video! thumbs-up.gif

@an_enlarged_stomach

There is no bomb camera. If you mean ATFLIR, then it can be used for looking at targets on your boresight at long ranges. In F/A-18F the commander/gunner has control of the ATFLIR movement.

Apologies for the very late reply.

@Renegade Commando

- Gear retraction sound - thought I fixed that several months ago, haven't noticed it since.

- Landing autopilot only lands the aircraft, gear control is still on the part of the player.

- G effects on pilot - tried but the effects I was trying to use wouldn't work right. You can toggle the Over-G script with the fz_f18_nog = 1 variable.

- Throttle override not possible, hardcoded.

- Usage of ATFLIR pod is always possible even if not mounted due to game design - just uses the gunsight view to go to ATFLIR view.

@HailStorm

- AI pilot eject should be standard, unless it's F/A-18F with human crew. Sometimes the AI won't eject and sometimes their ejection sequence will not work well. If it's only crewed by AI, then they should eject via standard game function.

- Weapon limiting - yes, it's possible, but requires arming to be set up in the mission rather than through the addon. I don't have any instructions for this offhand.

- Script switches can be in any global area, activated through init script or init line or even by trigger (although triggers are unreliable for this purpose).

@Sniper121

Great video!  thumbs-up.gif

@an_enlarged_stomach

There is no bomb camera. If you mean ATFLIR, then it can be used for looking at targets on your boresight at long ranges. In F/A-18F the commander/gunner has control of the ATFLIR movement.

Ah, I see.

Wait, does the target still have to be lazed by someone before it can be locked to a target, or is it just a dumb bomb?

Sry, I don't know much about this.

All of the bombs are capable of IR targeting, but only GBU series can lock onto laser targets. GBU series are also much more accurate than the standard Mk series. So if you've acquired a target, either bomb type will try to guide itself to the target.

All of the bombs are capable of IR targeting, but only GBU series can lock onto laser targets. GBU series are also much more accurate than the standard Mk series. So if you've acquired a target, either bomb type will try to guide itself to the target.

Ah Ha!!

Thanks, man.

I get everything now!!

just with the first one, the problem is not that AI won't eject, but when the AI attempts to seperate from the seat and into the parachute - the parachute appears, but the AI bot will not 'enter' it - he'll just 'disembark' the seat, fall (in a standing pose) from that point, hit the ground and die. the parachute drifts down on it's own, empty. when i see this occur, it happens at medium-long range, not sure how relevant that last bit is.

on a related note, it seems that when a crashing hornet morphs into the wreck model, it appears to teleport it's AI pilot to it's position - regardless of where the pilot is at the time (in a parachute, lying on the ground, etc.)

Reference Pic

the F-18 was heading straight towards me, when i 'setdamage 1''ed it using a radio trigger and caused the pilot to eject (BIS animation, no seat appeared) and the plane to crash in front of me, whereby it plucked the pilot from his parachute (still floating in the background) and set him (alive) in the wreck. it's still funny that pilots (dead or alive) appear in the wreck.

with the other two points, would we be able to see a bit more info about those in the readme at a later stage? just curious as how extensively this will be documented.

Yes, I know about those issues. The F/A-18E didn't have a disabled ejection seat script like I had thought, but instead uses the old one intended for AI (which I never fixed).

The crew teleportation I explained some pages ago, but here it is again:

For some reason, the killed eventhandler will not control dead crew for some amount of time. When I tried to set the dead crew, if any, to the wreck's position, they wouldn't move to it. I found that if I pulled the crew out of the jet before the wreck was created and placed, then I could control the crew's position. So my solution to the problem of the crew bodies being stuck at someplace unrelated to the wreck position (or stuck in the dead aircraft) was to kick them out of the jet the moment it died and then setpos them to the wreck when it was created.

If you use triggers to setdammage 1 on the aircraft, this will not kill the crew and so they will eject and still be unharmed.

ah, okay. sorry i didn't pick up on that.

problem is, the pilot is actually alive when the plane crashes - in the picture you can see half of him standing in the smoke, and the parachute he was drifting in moments earlier is still floating in the background.

Hi

Great addon, but when used in a dedicated server this message comes up

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

Error in expression <_wep3 = _deadcarg select 2>

Error position: <select 2>

Error Zero divisor

and most of the weapons pilons have no weapons.

In the arma rpt that message is repeated constantly changing the numbers.

Franze your doing an awsome job here, Is there any works in the AH-64 Field would be nice to have one of your choppers like the AH-64 in ArmA, or an UH Huey would be nice to have one of them bad boys in ArmA i know that Hellic mod did one but thats for an diffrent era and for an diffrent Nation.

Franze your doing an awsome job here, Is there any works in the AH-64 Field would be nice to have one of your choppers like the AH-64 in ArmA, or an UH Huey would be nice to have one of them bad boys in ArmA i know that Hellic mod did one but thats for an diffrent era and for an diffrent Nation.

The HWMod has a UH-1 with a US Marine OD green version as well as the US vietnam era extras. RACs version as well.

The problem is whether they are standalone UH-1 addons or must you download the entire mod to use them?

Most people won't bother downloading an entire mod just to use one addon unless those other addons are directly related to a US Army UH-1 like a Vietnam or 80's era American mod or to a RACS UH-1 like a RACS mod full of RACS vehicles and aircraft.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

@Zorasht

Did you include the command unit named "fz_weaponcmd"?

@1in1class

I won't be releasing the old AH-64A/D in ArmA. It's too old and out of date. I don't have any plans at present time for whirlybirds in ArmA.

k thats cool no UH 1 then k wink_o.gif Would be nice to have one of your AH-64s ya chopper was vary nice as it all is with your work biggrin_o.gif Its that the AH-64 is whats lacking in ArmA the one that is out is done by mapfact team but is vary old in ways of paint schemes and all. Also there is not an AH-64D this is what is missing in the Army of the ArmA side. Just would be lovely to have one of them nice birds with uptodate models.

Franze we have included unit named fz_weaponcmd but we get that "wep3 = _deadcarg select 2" issue too! It happens after a little while. For all the diff ones: wep1, wep7, etc...

Could it be because you have unit called fz_weps and object called fz_weps?

Also I noticed you have a global var called fz_mpSOMETHING ... what's that for??

Franze, also if you turn off scripting you can't get in your plane because you have the Open Canopy command running the LOCK thing and that doesn't run if scripting is off!  crazy_o.gif

Franze, perhaps there's issue with having F18E and F18F on same map?

My squad loves your plane though! We like arming with different stuff.