Sign in to follow this  
l mandrake

Cant order AI to an exact spot. Frustrating!

Searched but couldnt find an answer...

Often when I get injured leading a squad I have major problems trying to get the medic to come to me so I can heal. Say I'm in cover behind a wall, I click the ground nearby but the medic comes and stands 5 metres away, often out in the open, so when I crawl to him we are both killed.

Very very annoying! I know the AI moves into a 'zone' around the point you tell them to move to, but in the case of medics is there a way I can get him to come EXACTLY to my location (even better can I order him to come and heal me automatically?)

I know there is a radio command for 'Medic!' but when I try it my medic just says 'Negative!' About as useful as a chocolate teapot!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Mandrake

The problems will be caused by the 3d objects in the area, the best bet will be to order him into a bigger area of covering terrain without much objects and meeting him there. Not nice but more AI safe.

Object density and AI avoidance pattern of objects ruins this with Arma. Wrecked pathfinding and unprecise movements are the result.

The Arma AI is not fit for Arma islands confused_o.gif

OK, ignoring the AI's pathfinding problems, surely the medic AIs should contain an extra routine to GO TO injured squadmates and heal them?

Whats the point in reporting yourself as 'injured' over the radio if the squad medic isnt going to come and save you?

I dont like the way it is at the moment - injured soldiers have to go and find a medic, IRL it is the other way round (because often injured soldiers can't move!!! )

before the game was out, i remember calls of "better AI" "much smarter AI opponants" and this seems to have translated to "get shot from a mile by an ak47 on ironsights" and "idiot AI that get shot like lemmings".

definatly one of the weak points of armed assault, but everytime i game comes out and claims it has great AI, its usually a lie.

You should be able to select the AI and then use the action part of the command menu to tell him to "Heal squad leader 1 o'clock" or along those lines and he should come to you.

thanks Cobra thats what I was hoping for - however when I select my medic, then choose 'action' the only options I have are: Salute, Gear and Sit Down....

I have tried this with wounded men in the squad, and have wounded myself, but the medic's action menu never changes....

This is the issue that will make or break ArmII for me. I would be happy if they built the whole engine around masterful pathfinding, cover/suppression and ballistics- thats all I need.

Its always really annoyed me that you have to heal at medic, not medic heal wounded. It makes no sense to me for the action to be done by the injured party.

I did write a script in OFP to chopper in a medic, who would go round your injured squad memebrs and heal them in turn and the exfil so I'm sure something similar could be implemented, but it's not part of the default game.

But the medic in the game is utterly unrealistic anyway.

That he doesn't reliably come over to you is the least of

their problems. He just seems to be there as a crutch for

the "run n' shoot" crowd. The ArmA medics' powers of

restoration would put Macaon to shame! I can be hit so

badly that I am unable to stand but when he comes over

and gesticulates over me I can jump up and sprint! He

even gives me a clean pair of combat trousers!  nener.gif

Also; I second "froggyluvs" comment wholeheartedly. Even if

they reverted to OFP's graphics I'd be delighted if they'd

include those features he mentioned (properly implemented).

Hi Mandrake5

Who is doing what

You need to order the injured AI to go to the medic not medic to injured.

Select the injured unit with the [F#] whatever number it is Hotkey, then [6] then usualy [1] if they are badly injured thus it is a high priority for them but it will be a lower number if the priority is lower, ie rearming is more important that putting a plaster on a cut finger.

Pathing Problems

Try sending both medic and injured to the same spot as this helps when there is a pathing problem.

Good Practice

When managing squads it advisable to have the medic [1], [6] stop and set up an aid post in real cover back from any probable fight.

External medic

You can also use the [5] key functions to call in a medic external to your squad.

Realistic medical simulation

Proper medics and injury simulation are being worked on by several Mod teams wink_o.gif At least two of them are doing scarily real injury and medical simulation.

Kind Regard walker

don't you have to report yourself as wounded before you can order the healing action?

might be wrong tough

I don't think there's much chance that the pathfinding won't be improved, since the pathfinding algorithm will be 100 times more sensitive. I guess anything is possible, tho.

Whats the point in reporting yourself as 'injured' over the radio if the squad medic isnt going to come and save you?

That's functional if you still have an AI squad leader. He'll really send an available medic to your position.

But even then hiding close to walls and near buildings will trouble the medic.

Object density and AI avoidance pattern of objects ruins this with Arma. Wrecked pathfinding and unprecise movements are the result.

The Arma AI is not fit for Arma islands confused_o.gif

The AI is reasonable, the Islands and content are generally what's wrong.

Quote[/b] ]The Arma AI is not fit for Arma islands

exactly

There is great difference with cover seeking and moving routines.

-Cover seeking provides very accurate spot to where AI will move (less than 0.5 meters)

-Moving has much more bigger area in where AI can think that it's movement is completed.

By this moment I would like suggest to BIS that it will put it's (quite fine) cover seeking method to even better use in comming products smile_o.gif they should seek cover from close area every time they are not moving in aware, combat, stealth behaviours -> we have +1 in ArmA II 'battle drill'-section.

This way AI will seek cover before tending wounded etc.

It all comes down to AI movement precision, which is between 5-10m in ArmA (for foot soldiers) and should be 1-5m in ArmA2 (from what I read).

So, basicly, this issue should be solved in ArmA2. However, this will not improve the AI, just its pathfinding wink_o.gif So, no realistic injury/healing/medic simulation on the horizon yet.

Malick

And what about "brakedistance" value? It seems to affect the movement precision: for soldiers by default it's 1.