Sign in to follow this  
Voidworm

ArmA 2 on PlayStation 3

Eventually I think that retail PC games will be phased out entirely, it is undeniably a dieing market, eventually gaming companies will not see the point in producing PC games anymore.
Yeah that will happen around the time when linux install base is higher on desktop PCs than Windows...

There's no doubt that the console market is bigger, especially for the big titles but the PC market isn't used to selling less than consoles. Ridiculous DRMs is biting back and actually giving paying customers a worse product than the free and illegal ones. Services like Steam (and Sprocket I guess) will be dominant and you'll see more pure online games with servers hosted by developers/publishers and probably a small monthly fee. Think small-scale WoW...

my thoughts exactly.

whats even more depressing is ofpdr drops support, and they flood over to arma2 begging for a console version.

im sure theyll make it, they wont argue to taking your money

and i could care less, just as long as PC support and development doesnt lose priority. if that happens ill be royally pissed

Hope you've been lurking a long time to say that, and if you have you'd know that theres an even older and bigger 360 thread so i guess not. :rolleyes:

I wonder why they don't mention the fact that it's also TBA for Nintendo Wii and Sony PlayStation Computer Entertainment Systems 1 & 2. Rumor has it, even the Commodore 64 and Amiga 500 ports are TBA.

so has any info been announced?

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

according to the community wiki http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2

it says arma on next-gen consoles

the article was last modified march 4

placebo said there will be no announcement until there is a publisher. This means there is nothing to get excited for or hold your breath for. But for the price of 2 ps3s you can get a decent rig to play this game with the full editor and all the mods that wouldn't be in a console version.

so has any info been announced?

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

according to the community wiki http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2

it says arma on next-gen consoles

the article was last modified march 4

That's based on earlier information. They used to say "PC and next-gen console" on www.arma2.com and www.bistudio.com but both of those mentions were removed in silence quite some time ago.

placebo said there will be no announcement until there is a publisher. This means there is nothing to get excited for or hold your breath for. But for the price of 2 ps3s you can get a decent rig to play this game with the full editor and all the mods that wouldn't be in a console version.

right now i dont have the money for that

i wish it was cheaper

does anyone know when arma 2 will be released for the ps3?

If people knew anything, don't you think they would be talking about it? Anyway, it's more a question of "if", rather than "when", and so far it seems unlikely that it will happen.

ya i was figuring as much. just seems a shame that they would pass up a oppertunity to make a ton of cash off ps3 owners.

but honestly, in all seriousness..is anything but a massively castrated version of arma2 going to run on todays consoles?

but honestly, in all seriousness..is anything but a massively castrated version of arma2 going to run on todays consoles?

Oh they might get it working decently...given years of development time spent purely on optimisation, but by then the next generation of consoles would be out. So waiting for the PS4/Xbox 720 would probably be the best bet for them. Also would give them time to figure out a viable control scheme, which would be extremely painful.

As much as I love my PS3, I don't think Arma would work out too well on a console. There are some games that should stay PC exclusive.

How would BI fit 100 or so keybinds on a joypad?

How would BI manage to get content that has problems loading from a normal/fast HDD drive from a DVD disk real-time?

This reminds me that most of todays games don't have a fire selector, or lean keys on PC, mainly because the consoles don't have enough buttons..

Edited by PuFu

How would BI fit 100 or so keybinds on a joypad?

How would BI manage to get content that has problems loading from a normal/fast HDD drive from a DVD disk real-time?

This reminds me that most of todays games don't have a fire selector, or lean keys on PC, mainly because the consoles don't have enough buttons..

I currently use a Joypad and mouse, I can play with no mouse whatsoever if I preferred dumbed down aiming as all my keys are between the controller and mouse itself. I only ever need the keyboard for messages, PS3 can use a USB keyboard no problem also BTW.

PS3 has a HDD and blu ray, DVD need never fit the equation unless you are Xboxing it.

Lean, could be done with the PS3 pads tilt sensors.

So the only limitations are really the actual PS3 hardware, the CPU itself can hold it's own but the GFX card is lacking. Sony's biggest mistake was in fact not using a better GFX card as if they did there would be no Xbox360 today.

I mainly game on my PC but I also have a PS3, you may have guessed, but it only gets dusted off for rare occasions of games of MGS.

The real reason to not want any of the consoles getting their foot in the door is usually when one of the console producers give the publishing company a bung, the next thing you know they are taking the M$ shilling and PC will be getting shitty ports.

No current plans for a PS3 version :)