Thunderbird

FFUR'85 (2008 edition)

That's kind of what I'm trying to do now - I've got the old ffur_misc.pbo unPBOed and I'm putting what I want into a new PBO file, then pointing the appropriate .HPP at it. This got the Soviet Helo undercarriage working, also the downdraft dust and background radio chatter. I didn't bother activating the flares and other stuff.

I've got a general understanding of what the different parts of the files are doing now thanks to a couple of tutorials I've read through. Looking again at the ffur_misc.PBO, most of the stuff is replicated in other ffur files.

After what you've suggested, it's probably going to be easier to point the eventhandlers to the existing scripts in the other ffur PBOs, so I'm going to crack on with that.

Cheers for the pointer!

Very nice job, I love it! I even played the start of the campaign without the patch, which is what I need, I got tired of seeing a lot of white triangles. Is there a patch for this? I tried the fix earlier on mentioned but it didn't work. Or, is there a way to re modify what is installed for D3D or Dx?

Ugh, please dont tell me I have to re download the FFUR 08 core files again, I'm downloading FFUR 2007 slx patch right now to see if that wil lwork.

I think a few people have had problems occur when putting other ffur/slx patches over this - I've had no snags just using the main file & 1.05 patch on the first page of this topic.

The patch did miss a few things, and switched off a few others.

What I've put together is a new .pbo file with a few bits pulled out of the old v.1.00 ffur_misc.pbo. Coupled with a few altered config files it re-enables:

Mi-24 undercarriage

V-80 undercarriage

Burning vehicles & crew

Vehicle radio chatter

Glock slide now forward when loaded

AIM-54 now reads 'PHOENIX' (missing 'n' replaced)

Russian officer wears beret only

If anyone is interested, I'll upload the file (it's about 160kB)

Ok, I fixed it, rather, I installed it right this time. WHat I did the first time was when it gave me the option for 3D or 3D HTWL I am not sure but I think I used the 1st, then for the next option I chose both disable foliage and buildings , both 1 and 2. so  Iended up with white triangles and boxes. I just re installed it again, works fine so far, just a little video lag.

Wow, I also installed the patch and boy, everything looks crystal clear. Why isnt it that way in teh original OFP?

Interesting thing I noticed, when I first installed and started the campaign on the first of combat mission, I noticed the tall grass before, then, I installed it again and this time, instead of choosing the disable resistance foliage, I chose number 2 to disable both foliage and buildings. Then I installed the FFUR 85 Patch. Did that change the shrubbery or tall grass to shorter grass? I liked the taller grass, but I think that might have contributed to some video lag.

BTW, I love FFUR!! it takes me back to 2001 only better. But gah, the OFP servers sure are lonely.

I'd advise trying to get in touch with thunderbird84 first - to find out what he had been intending to fix (and how much progress he made on it):

It's easy enough to sort out the few remaining bugs with this mod; I've managed to do it without any prior experience of modding. Hopefully TB will get around to doing a further patch, but I hope his priority is Project 85 for AA.

If he gets another patch out, I don't think it'll have the fire effects and stuff that got disabled in the last patch, which is what I wanted back. As for the last few bugs (helo undercarriage, Glock etc.) it's literally about a dozen lines in a handful of config files.

Anyway, I'm happy with what I've got now, so I'll wait and see for any future releases.

Chammy - I think the grass height is listed in one of the readmes, it got halved so as to be more OFP mission friendly

Well at least it would be good to see all mentioned bugs are fixed and some more options (res buildings y/n, res foliage y/n, new fire effects y/n etc) for install menu. Lets see if TB is going to dustoff his OFP work or simply agrees to "final" public/custom FFUR'85 patch. (Will you fix it again if your HD crashs? Feels better if you find a patch, though)

I think a few people have had problems occur when putting other ffur/slx patches over this - I've had no snags just using the main file & 1.05 patch on the first page of this topic.

The patch did miss a few things, and switched off a few others.

What I've put together is a new .pbo file with a few bits pulled out of the old v.1.00 ffur_misc.pbo. Coupled with a few altered config files it re-enables:

Mi-24 undercarriage

V-80 undercarriage

Burning vehicles & crew

Vehicle radio chatter

Glock slide now forward when loaded

AIM-54 now reads 'PHOENIX' (missing 'n' replaced)

Russian officer wears beret only

If anyone is interested, I'll upload the file (it's about 1MB)

Please do.

Chammy - I think the grass height is listed in one of the readmes, it got halved so as to be more OFP mission friendly

Heh, ahhh, sometimes I have not the time to read the readmes....sometimes. Thanks Aircorn

I know this is just feedback but I didn't know I would be mentioned in credits for my sound pack!! If I would've known I would have been delighted to have helped out with the sound effects in the game, it would've been my pleasure, why didn't anyone buzz me on this? So far my feedback is weapon sounds, most sounds used that are from Dynamic Range are just too miss interpreted, but other than that I have been playing FFUR regularly again heh. notworthy.gif

I wonder if anyone else has noticed this but I think the bullet crack sound is mixed matched with a ricochet. WHen I am shooting I kept hearing the bullets hit a distant hill but sounded like cracks, so I shot at the ground and the sounds, instead of bullets hitting the ground they sounded like the sonic cracks instead, very odd and sound was too loud. You guys might want to look at that and address it. I'm checking it out now on my end and it looks like its been configured wrong in the config file for sound:

#define BULLETSINGLE_HIT_SOUNDS soundHit2[]={"\ffur_sfx_cracks\crack_1.wss",2,1};\

soundHit3[]={"\ffur_sfx_cracks\crack_2.wss",2,1};\

soundHit4[]={"\ffur_sfx_cracks\crack_3.wss",2,1};\

soundHit5[]={"\ffur_sfx_cracks\crack_4.wss",2,1};\

soundHit6[]={"\ffur_sfx_cracks\crack_5.wss",2,1};\

#define BULLETAUTO_HIT_SOUNDS soundHit2[]={"\ffur_sfx_cracks\crack_1.wss",1,1};\

soundHit3[]={"\ffur_sfx_cracks\crack_2.wss",2,1};\

soundHit4[]={"\ffur_sfx_cracks\crack_3.wss",2,1};\

soundHit5[]={"\ffur_sfx_cracks\crack_4.wss",2,1};\

soundHit6[]={"\ffur_sfx_cracks\crack_5.wss",2,1};\

I wondered about that... any ideas what the sound files are for the bullet thudding into the ground? At the moment firefights tend to sound like a ping pong game in a tin room.

I wondered about that... any ideas what the sound files are for the bullet thudding into the ground? At the moment firefights tend to sound like a ping pong game in a tin room.

Exactly , when I was playing I hear a lot of clicks and click clock type noises, not bullet cracks, albeit they are there, I checked the sound samples and they sound incomplete, but I think its that way because of the sound duration is as a loop, I don't know if the configuration for that is changed though. I changed the config entry for the bullets hitting the ground and now the ricochets sound like ricochets and not just bullets cracking every time they hit the ground. Thunderbird, you might want to look into changing that maybe, it sounds really odd because they are so loud when you shoot the ground by accident.  

The sounds that are or should be targeted are bulletricochet1 through 5, bulletricochetburst1 - 5, also singlehitground001 - 005

Chammy, many thanks for the pointer, I've changed the sound config and things sound much better now.

General question about the FFUR_grass from the patch, on my machine it flickers sometimes, and when crawling through it I'm getting a weird view. The grass image is fine from one direction but in the other has a transparent outline that obscures the grass behind it, as you can see in the image.

(Hmm, obscuring it by seeing through it...well, the explanation may not be the best, but you can see the outlines around the grass and it looks odd)

Is it my graphics card or a quirk of OFP or the grass image?

http://img254.imageshack.us/my.php?image=grasshu7.jpg

Hmm, u know,  i noticed "the grass" of that also but really didnt pay no mind.  Right now, I am haiving troublt trying to i fnish a mission where at the last part I need to get on the back of the 5 ton but it won't move, I supposed I need to check to make sure all Russians are dead I guess.

Heh, not being able to finish a level because a mission trigger has failed to go off...I like the advice from BI - 'try starting the mission again'. I think I had problems on that level as well - I restarted instead of hunting for a russian who'd legged it into the sunset. I think the APC kept on getting whacked and killing all my squad at the start of that level as well, which required a restart a few times banghead.gif . I think it's an OFP mission trigger problem though, not 'cos of the mod. I'm most of the way through the Flashpoint campaign and have not encountered any mod related problems.

Right, I've tried unPBOing the grass file, but get the fatal error like with ffur_misc. It's not a corrupt file, must be the PBOx utility I'm using. I can't use the prepatch grass as it's totally different. So next up for me is changing the pilot's weapons - pistols and smoke grenades for my fellas.

Hi, I was wondering if there's anyway to use the normal cwc islands instead of the islands that come with this mod, as they hurt my performance, by quite a bit, same thing for the sky.

I experimented fooling around in ffur 2007, and switching the config around giving the U.S. army medics g3's, and killing the smoke effects out of the guns and reducing them on explosions.

@zhenja1

search the config.cpp of ffsx85 for "world": You will find the description "worldname".

Change this worldnames of the islands into the default BIS-island names. thats it.

E. g. worldname="XYZ_eden.wrp" into worldname="eden.wrp"

the same for all other islands you like to have back in BIS default version (abel, cain...).

I did it also, because I noticed the havy performance hit too. After renaming it to default islandsnames, it run smoothly again.

rgds,

marcomio

Hahhaha, after 7 years that OFP had come out, I could bnever pass the part where I'm lost in the forst until todya, I'm having a ball playing OFP again with FFUR!

My continued fun with vegetation - the patches of grass, on their own, do not flicker. This only happens where two grass objects overlap. The only solution I can see to this is to wrptool the islands and move the offending grasses further apart. Which would take, ooh, eons. So I'm not going to carry on with that one.

The transparent outline to the grass is better visually than the other grass textures out there. Try as I might, I cannot get it unPBOed; I've tried three different utils, which either crash or produce an empty folder. I don't know what JuJu was used by TB, but those files are staying as they are!

Ps. well done Chammy, that mission took me multiple attempts! I found it a bit easier with the grass to hide in.

Good work on this mod, I like it alot, Now.. If only can make a multiplayer version.... with SLX of course, HA!