Sign in to follow this  
radical.ghost

Instant viewdistance

@ Uziyahu--IDF

I guess I now understand what you are thinking of with this.

But sorry, this one is currently going beyond my knowledge of scripting / function writing, so unfortunately I have to decline the writing of an AddOn that provides this function.

@ rstratton

This AddOn is client side only, you should not put it on your dedi - server.

( I have not tested its behaviour on a dedicated server yet )

But this is also stated in the readme file.

The Bug with the Instant viewdistance stopping its work after respawn has been fixed already and you can download the latest version of the Instant viewdistance - AddOn from the first post of this thread.

@ 3k.Baxter

Thanks for your suggestion,

but since Instant viewdistance is providing quite easy and intuitive access to its functions already

I think it would be a step backward to implement such more "complicated" functions.

This addon is not only a client side hack but it can break missions too.. users are not supposed to run visibility above what the server or a mission have set..

With all the whinning about BIS not doing much to stop cheating its funny to find this one sitting here.

You really believe that people wont abuse this because you ask them not to? icon_rolleyes.gif .

This addon is not only a client side hack but it can break  missions too.. users are not supposed to run visibility above what the server or a mission have set..

With all the whinning about BIS not doing much to stop cheating its funny to find this one sitting here.

You really believe that people wont abuse this because you ask them not to? icon_rolleyes.gif .

How in the world do you attribute cheating and abuse to raising the viewdistace in a game...unless you just have a crappy video card and your machine cant handle the extra load and your FPS goes down the drain but your using "cheating" and "abuse" as a cover up. LOL how pathetic.

This addon is not only a client side hack but it can break  missions too.. users are not supposed to run visibility above what the server or a mission have set..

How in the world do you attribute cheating and abuse to raising the viewdistace in a game...unless you just have a crappy video card and your machine cant handle the extra load and your FPS goes down the drain but your using "cheating" and "abuse" as a cover up.  LOL how pathetic.

If people have different viewdistances in a multiplayer session then it is a serious problem!

Just try to play a session having lower viewdistance than the other players... you will notice you will lose no matter what you do.

If you don't see a problem then... well... I think your viewdistance is too low then  tounge2.gif

@ Heatseeker and Baddo

Did you read all the posts in this thread?

If yes, I'm wondering what you are complaining about.

There are so many ways for a mission or a server to prevent this AddOn doing its work.

It can currently be achieved by:

- setting the weather conditions on your mission / your server

- putting the line : "executed = 1;" into the init.sqf / sqs of the mission

( but in the next version (v1.2) I will change that one to be:

"IVDS_disabled = 1;" )

- not allowing this addon to be used on signature verificating servers

And once again:

1. There are too many COOP - type missions out there that would need to be updated and re downloaded by every client just for adding a larger viewdistance.

2. Cheaters are able to alter their viewdistance anyhow (without the Instant viewdistance AddOn) with little effort and gain their advantage from being able to do so while others are not.

So if such an AddOn is available for ALL to download and use, the advantage the cheaters currently have above players will be quite zeroed out because EVERYONE may download this AddOn and alter his / her viewdistance to a larger value.

This addon is not only a client side hack but it can break missions too.. users are not supposed to run visibility above what the server or a mission have set..

How in the world do you attribute cheating and abuse to raising the viewdistace in a game...unless you just have a crappy video card and your machine cant handle the extra load and your FPS goes down the drain but your using "cheating" and "abuse" as a cover up. LOL how pathetic.

The only pathetic thing is that you dont even understand what this addon does.. nice try guessing my system specs, but im afraid you are quite wrong, and i do believe everyone deserves a fair game (great specs or not).

edit:

Im done here..

@ Heatseeker and Baddo

Did you read all the posts in this thread?

If yes, I'm wondering what you are complaining about.

There are so many ways for a mission or a server to prevent this AddOn doing its work.

It can currently be achieved by:

- setting the weather conditions on your mission / your server

- putting the line : "executed = 1;" into the init.sqf / sqs of the mission

( but in the next version (v1.2) I will change that one to be:

"IVDS_disabled = 1;" )

- not allowing this addon to be used on signature verificating servers

And once again:

1. There are too many COOP - type missions out there that would need to be updated and re downloaded by every client just for adding a larger viewdistance.

2. Cheaters are able to alter their viewdistance anyhow (without the Instant viewdistance AddOn) with little effort and gain their advantage from being able to do so while others are not.

So if such an AddOn is available for ALL to download and use, the advantage the cheaters currently have above players will be quite zeroed out because EVERYONE may download this AddOn and alter his / her viewdistance to a larger value.

no man it just stopped working altogether. even on missions it worked on b4. it stopped working all of a sudden for multiple people. no new addons were added,server configuration has not changed, hell it dont even work on a blank mission in the editor

[quote=

If you don't see a problem then... well... I think your viewdistance is too low then  tounge2.gif

I don't see a problem...and if you call 8000-10K to low...then yeah I guess it is. icon_rolleyes.gif

radical.ghost, I wasn't combating anything you have said.

HogRoot, I was combating your idea that players being able to adjust their viewdistance in multiplayer is not a problem. It is clearly a problem, that is indisputable. Your talk about hardware isn't relevant.

Edit: I think BIS should make setViewDistance only effective when run from the server. Individual viewdistances could be set, for example for pilots, but the command should come from the server and not from the client. It would be up to the mission designers so you could still have what you want.

i already posted how counter viewdistance change in this thread ...

so stop discussing "cheating" subject it's considered offtopic

@ rstratton

That sounds really weird.

So what I'm asking now is:

Did you try to run the Instant viewdistance - AddOn serverside or not?

Because:

If you have the 1.1 version,

to me the only plausible reason the AddOn stopped its work for multiple users at the same time is

that you tried to put it on your dedi - server.

As I stated a few posts before:

Quote[/b] ]@ rstratton

If this is not the case:
Quote[/b] ]rstratton: would it being on the server have anything to do with it?
:: tells me that it IS the case.

So granting that you tried to install the Instant viewdistance AddOn on your dedicated server:

Remove the Instant viewdistance - AddOn from your dedi server and tell your friends to install it on their local machines.

That should solve the problem.

@ rstratton

That sounds really weird.

So what I'm asking now is:

Did you try to run the Instant viewdistance - AddOn serverside or not?

Because:

If you have the 1.1 version,

to me the only plausible reason the AddOn stopped its work for multiple users at the same time is

that you tried to put it on your dedi - server.

As I stated a few posts before:

Quote[/b] ]@ rstratton

If this is not the case:
Quote[/b] ]rstratton: would it being on the server have anything to do with it?
:: tells me that it IS the case.

So granting that you tried to install the Instant viewdistance AddOn on your dedicated server:

Remove the Instant viewdistance - AddOn from your dedi server and tell your friends to install it on their local machines.

That should solve the problem.

weird? no, the strangest f**kin thing ive ever seen. it was on the server but only after it had stopped working, but was then deleted from the server. but why would it not work on my pc when i host missions it had previously worked on b4?

I appreciate what you're trying to do, and for coops yes i'm sure it's brill, but to make a mod and then expect SA's and Mission Designers to edit their entire list of missions is a lil harsh.

If I made a mod that could fire 5,000m and deystroy everything within a 500m splash from the basic M9, and released it, and said "please dont use in PvP, and admins and mission designers can edit their missions with x,y & z scripts so people can't use it" it wudn't be right.

At the end of the day, if there was such a demand for increasing and decreasing view distance client side, more missions would be made with a simple 30 second editing job of setviewdistance / setterraingrid script or whatever in a tent at main base.

One thing I will say though, is if you broke the 5k view distance limit that was in force on multiplayer then well done. Try setting viewdistance to 10000 via a script in a MP mission and it will default to 1200 or whatever

@ rstratton

It could be that there are occuring some problems with locality of some functions.

But I have to test it by myself trying to replicate that error for getting more understanding to being able to fix this, what takes some time for me to do.

I will take a look into it as soon as I find the time for that.

@ LtCmdrBoon

The problem was that there are many good COOP - missions out there that were made quite a time ago when there was no such a viewdistance - function available for the mission designer to implement in his mission.

Also a lot of quite actual COOP - missions are lacking such a feature due to whatever reasons.

And to bring it to an end, these are my last words to this "cheat" - discussion here:

So what about all the other AddOns that bring advantage to the player who has loaded them above players who have not loaded that addon?

It is the same thing with every addon that brings a client sided change.

Just to name a few:

-Custom tracers --> watch your bullets drop

-Custom scopes --> be able to do more precise aiming

-Realistic ballistics --> less bullet drop (works client side)

-Some true - addons (headmovement and NVG for example)

-Soundmods --> be able to recognize what weapon has been fired, remove supersonic crack, etc.

All these AddOns bring advantage only to the player who has loaded them and are able to be used in PVP - Missions, so does mine.

Some of those AddOns have the same statement in its readme - file that says something like:

"using this AddOn in PVP - missions may be considered cheating"

And I named just a few examples here..

Also not to mention that the Instant viewdistance AddOn may be disabled in its function on specific missions, while most of the other AddOns may not.

@ Dwarden and others

Sorry for me replying to offtopic again, this will be my last statement to the "cheating" - discussion in this thread.

@ 3k.Baxter

Thanks for your suggestion,

but since Instant viewdistance is providing quite easy and intuitive access to its functions already

I think it would be a step backward to implement such more "complicated" functions.

You have a point, but my concern is that your mod (a configuration action) is merging with real actions. Would be great if you in the future could make something like the 6thSense menu or even better merge with theres.

@Radical Ghost....I am in the same unit as RStratton and I have figured out what the problem is. After installing the instant view distance mod most of us also installed a Claymore Mod along with several other mods. After conducting several tests, I found the claymore mod was the culprit. Just wanted to let you know we found the cause of the problem...IVD trumps a claymore mod anyday.

Glad to have your outstanding mod working again!

@ HogRoot

Thanks a lot for your information on that issue.

I will see what I can do to make those both AddOns compatible with each other.

And when done, I will release an updated version of the Instant viewdistance AddOn.

Happy to fix the claymores too, as soon as you work out what's conflicting.

FYI:

I found the problem that caused the conflict between my Instant viewdistance and _Pingu_'s Claymore AddOn.

During my research on that issue I found out that

_Pingu_'s Claymore AddOn also conflicted with the GDT mod Satchel - AddOn causing players not beeing able to remote - detonate the vehicle - attached satchels anymore.

I managed to make all three AddOns,

Instant viewdistance, GDT mod Satchel and _Pingu_'s Claymore,

work together at the same time without any noticeable problems.

I sent a PM to _Pingu_, telling him what exactly caused the problem.

Hi again,

thanks to i0n0s who made a complete overhauled version of InstantViewdistance,

<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>InstantViewDistance v2.0</span></span> is out now,

please check first post for the update.

thanks again, i0n0s, well done on this one.   thumbs-up.gif

This seems like a great AddOn but I got a problem getting it to work. It comes up with no trouble but it doesn't seem to change the VD. If I pull the slider or hit one of the buttons for the VD nothing happens. The only way I can figure out how to close the menu is by hitting Esc. Then when I open it back up the VD is still set to 1200. The terrain detail seems to work fine though.

Do I need to exit the menu by other means then simply pressing Esc? I couldn't find anything in the ReadMe and I skimmed through the thread, but I could've missed the answer if it's there.( I was getting sick of reading about the endless cheating banter so I very well could've missed the answer if it's there. My apologies if so. I used "Find" as well.)

I'm gonna try it in another mission and/or blank map. May be the mission itself is causing the problem. I'm not sure if another AddOns/Mod is causing a conflict since I use a ton of em and just about all are XEH compliant. I'm using the latest XEH(v1.9?) btw.

Thanks in advance and I'll be back after I test it again in a blank map/different mission.

EDIT:

Well I think I found the deal here, and boy am I a jackass if I'm right. I'm playing Mapfact Rescue Operation SP and I think it starts out foggy! It seems to work just fine on blank maps and my missions I tried it with.(Weather starts clear in those.)

Sorry about that folks. pistols.gifgoodnight.gif

Great stuff, very useful for altering the settings when playing Evolution SP without the need to go the base. smile_o.gif

@ Opteryx

There is currently no limitation on the value you set the viewdistance on and I did not touch that because I couldn't see any problems coming with this.

Hi,

this is a great addon !!

One quick question: how do you go beyond a 10 km VD ?

I'm using v2 and click on the arrow once at 10 000 put me back at 9 900.

Thx.

Hi 1212PDMCDMPPM,

glad you like IVD.

In IVD v2.0 it is not possible to set a ViewDistance value greater than 10000m.

Also I believe putting the VD value above 10000m did/does not have any further effect on your ViewDistance in Game.

If you want to do some experiments with higher VD values than 10000 you have to use IVD in a version prior to IVD v2.0.

regards,

r:g