Sign in to follow this  
WARFIGHTER989

What military equipment and vehicles do you want?

What if you read BIS and ArmA2 announcement first?
Quote[/b] ]Arma 2 is set in the near future, year 2009, in a fictional post soviet country called Chernarus. Players will be sent as members of a United States Marine Corps Force Recon squad to this country to prevent further civilian casualties and ensure ongoing stability there.

Better if BIS are making only some high quality models/skins and release tools with documentation+tutorial+examples. There is no need to have tribes of nice multi-skinned units fighting with gameplay and performance bugs.  huh.gif

I rather have marines.

I need all new armies, Belgian, French, Germans... etc.

Realy.... I don't care which should be chosen exatcly.

NO MORE USA and RUSSIANS!

Yes please, *MORE* US and Russia, as these two have among the greatest diversity of military technology, but doesnm't have to be limited to that. My list of "wanted units" is based on an attempt of having similar types of units on each side, many of which might have been mentioned already.

Proper FLIRs and RADARS.

Agreed on the OH-58, need a targetting / surveying helicopter, not sure what Russia would have in this role though. Chinook will always be welcome wink_o.gif

As for Ghillies (see separate post), it has to be optional, not the only sniper type.

Two types of Main Battle Tanks on each side, one old/weak and one new/strong, i.e.T72/T90 and M1 (105mm)/M1A1 (120mm).

The full set of Strykers on the US side, including MGS, mortar, FIST, commanding, and medevac roles. Similar setup on another moderm army if it exist.

Similar on the M113s, more variations on the basic vehicle.

I really don't think there is any need for more aircraft types, except maybe a fixed wing paratrooper / cargo delivery system, such as the C130.

The Vulcan/Shilka combo seems to do a good enough job as it is for air defence systems.

But if there are plans to do support for proper indirect fires, soldier carried mortars (and vehicle mounted ones) and more types of artillery is needed with the larger guns providing greater flexibility on munitions available; dpicm, copperheads, smoke, white phosphorous, flares, bonus, adams, etc. Someone already mentioned anti personell mines, and that threat is very real and should be included. Smoke ABSOLUTELY MUST be fixed regarding AI see-through. Grenades could be upgraded to include flashbangs and rolling capability.

As for personal weapons, I'm actually fully content with what is already in there. Except for one thing; let player choose weapons system, i.e. M4 / M16 / G36 / M249 / M240 / AK74 / PKT etc, then have him customize it with grips, scopes, tripods, attachment weapons (M203), sights, buttstocs, and whatever. If a weapon can attach a rail in a certain position, all equipment could be mounted there. As for the M203, please include the buckshot and/or a shotgun attachment possibility. Nowadays though, isn't the M203 being replaced by newer systems using a 3-shot magazine?

What I'm not content with, however, is the ammunition system. Currently we deal with magazines only. Ammunition comes in boxes, not magazines. A create can be loaded wih boxes and empty magazines. It should take longer to reload empty magazines from boxes than reloading a magazine into the gun. Furthermore, they could be taped, leaving two possible reloading speeds. I know, it's quite complicated from an open engine point of view.

Basically what I'm saying is, more variations and functionality on existing vehicles instead of lots of new ones. The basic stryker is already built, you "just" need more turrets (MSG, FIST, MedEvac etc) and cfgclasses. The attack helicopter is already there, but it's uses are limiting (especially regarding AI). MAPfact has given more functionality, but many are reluctant to use addons in missions, especially public multiplayer missions. As mission maker, I try HARDLY to avoid any use of addons which cannot be recreated using scripting alone.

Instead of lots of new stuff, maybe BIS could incorporate some of the stuff that today requires addons. Such as invisible targets, repair points, better markers and colors (but not TOO much) and such. Spend time on tweaking cfgvehicles properly instead of relying too much on parentclasses -- it's just bound to go wrong somewhere (and it has).

Quote[/b] ]also quite shocked noone mentioned OH-58 Kiowa helicopter

fit's any scenario for scouting and they still serve

Why did no one ask for the kiowa? Well, the answer is the only one able to truly use radar in the game is the AI. They can actually read the miniradar and then network their findings to every other AI like they always do. Even then, it would be downed by a T72 or UAZ from a mile or two away. Until things get fixed, i think a MH-6 will do.

What areyou talking about? The Kiowa Warrior doesn't have a radar, it has mast mounted passive optics and a laser designator. Mast mounted = good. Laser designator = good. I'm not sure what the problem is here. Two guys in a kiowa could paint targets for hellfires and gbu equipped fixed wing aircraft.

Well... think about this.

BIS have said that for Arma II they will be using the us marines representing blufor and we have already seen a few vehicles.

Now.. there was plenty of criticism about Arma's Armines (half army/half marines) units in our ultimate simulation game...

Point.

If they are going with the marines it would be nice to the respective usmc vehicles for extra authenticity/realism.

On the other hand we loose the blackhawks, strykers, a possible apache, chinook... and get a pile of old junk instead (LAV-25, UH-1Y, cobras, CH-46, etc) crazy_o.gif .

How does everyone feel about that confused_o.gif ?

There's plenty of cool new vehicles coming into the Marine Arsenal in the next couple of years. You've got the V-22, the UH-1Y and the AH-1Z, and that new amphibious lander vehicle. I think it's got a lot of potential to be really cool.

Well, even WW2 tanks would have the potential, unless their importance on a game battlefield wasn't underestimated to the level of the arma vehicles. (after all tanks' importance in arma is pretty much at the level of ww2 ones)

Given the level of the game engine, WW2-Cold War is best.

If it isn't possible to recreate the latest technology fluidly within the game engine, then it is best avoided.

I don't think that that will be released by 2010 or 2013 or whenever arma is supposed to take place. There does seem to be an osprey in it, though.

But in terms of function, that plane doesn't do very much that todays Blackhawks can't do. Except maybe, going a little faster. But we all know how the AI performs when "going fast" - always ends up in those cumulus granittus clouds biggrin_o.gif

I'd say go for different variants of each implemented vehicle, and give it arms and options to suit the intended role. If a new considered vehicle is too similar (in function, not visuals) to an existing type of vehicle, drop it and spend that time to implement something more unique.

A blackhawk cannot carry a tank in it's payload wink_o.gif

I was stationed on the USS Wasp LHD-1 when the V-22 Osprey made it's first shipboard landing. The first attempt was hilarious! The pilot came down too hard and bounced about 12 feet up back into the air LOL!!

We had two of them on board at the time. The one with military painting and the white one (Boeing's paint job).

Massive aircraft with 38 foot span on each propeller. A lifting capactity that equals or exceeds that of the CH-53's (another helo that ArmA2 really should have based upon it's use by both Army and Marines).

Yes, yes, by all means, make a plain ArmA2 without "stuff". It's all good to me smile_o.gif

I just thought it was a nice edition to ArmA2 since this is near future. But, yes, maybe it's too early to call it a planned addition to USAF/Marines in real-life.

Then again this thread is called "What military equipment and vehicles do you want?" for some reason  wink_o.gif

who cares if they are going to be marines or whatever. the only thing that we care is to have fun shooting lots of things and their proper use. for instance the stryker is a mobile HQ if its going to be used as humve with an M2 i dont see a reason why it should be in the game... or the way that u target with the abrmas that should be fixed. the vehicles and equipment doesnt matter as much as the new gameplay features that will be fitted to them

Yes, yes, by all means, make a plain ArmA2 without "stuff". It's all good to me smile_o.gif

I just thought it was a nice edition to ArmA2 since this is near future. But, yes, maybe it's too early to call it a planned addition to USAF/Marines in real-life.

Then again this thread is called "What military equipment and vehicles do you want?" for some reason wink_o.gif

Quoted for truth.

Now let's look outside the box for a change.

What do we have here? For the uneducated folks with their hands out expecting to be pandered to, we have a classy Radio Flyer Wagon.

But for those who enjoy the Real Virtuality platform, and the satisfaction of creating new things, we see things different.

First, we have a vehicle that is both articulated and tow-capable. It also has 'loose' role positions, with one to three crew. The driver can be external to the vehicle in a towing capacity with a cargo of one or two units, or can be an internal entity providing articulated steering.

The internal cargo positions are also non-turreted and fully interactable and animation-capable positions as well.

The technology required to appropriately implement the beloved red wagon would also be of benefit to a wide range of other vehicles. It merely requires a nominal amount of that rare substance in ancient and forgotten times referred to as imagination and creativity.

I don't think that the engine is sophisticated enough to represent the radio flyer's damage model adequately. I'm concerned that it will come off half baked.

more jets and modern equipment for the ruskies like the tunguska and the newer migs. better targeting simulation for ground & air vehicles and info sharing. well uh thats it i guess

Perfect fitting for a 2009 placed story are modern anti-tank weapons for infantry like:

MBT-LAW (video

NMBT-LAW (video)

BILL2 (video)

It rocks.....

I would love to see evrything what was in arma, also:

AIR:

-c130 transport

-c130 spectre gunship (OHH YEAH!!wink_o.gif

-ah-64 apache

-osprey tilt rotor

-uh-1

-Ch-47 with m134 or two whistle.gif

----------

weapons:

-indeed: proper working shotgun

-m-72 grenade launcher

-72 LAW AT

-Single shot at4 (m136)

-Laser aiming systems wow_o.gif

-----------

infarty

-paratrooppers

-Better desinged SF units

-USMC

-US army

-NAVY SEALs

--------------

sea:

-Aircraft carrier biggrin_o.gif

-SUBMARINES FOR FU** SAKE!! inlove.gifinlove.gif

----------------

other:

Bill Gates and the Blue screen of death

Not stricly a list of vehicles here, just things that I feel should be kept in mind when the vehicles are built...

Vehicles could be better balanced in 'power' and 'survivability' than ArmA is currently, and cargo loads need some work - the Mi17 is very under-capacity at the moment! The ability for vehicles to ship crate containers of ammo+weapons would be useful in PvP too, unload a crate of ammo instead of 1 mag at a time...

Would really like active countermeasures available for things - working smokescreens for tanks (against AI too), flares and chaff for aircraft so that a strela or stinger isn't a virtually guaranteed death!

More accurate physics and flight characteristics for aircraft would be great.

Better survivability for armour and aircraft would enhance multiplayer PvP immensely!

Ability to target things better in single-seat or manual fire (no gunner) similar to the '2' menu when you do have a gunner - or a better targeting system in the first place for all the vehicles.

Tanks need better targeting too, OFP even was better than ArmA as a tank gunner.