Sign in to follow this  
frostwyrm333

Two new arma 2 presentations (in czech)

I wish I could speak Czech now :/

Could someone please tell us non-czech people what these videos are about?

I can't understand Czech gobbledygook, but thanks to the power of the internet I can do a crude translation the title:

Quote[/b] ]Differences in technology ArmA v Armed Assault (changes in engine, DX10 support, PS 3.0, multiprocessing, changes to lighting model, animation system, AI and new elements in games design area)

Hmm again i dont really give a.... well i dont particularly care about the Graphics, as far as im concerned that jus means more money out of my wallet to afford graphics card capable of playing it to a point where it is confortable.

Oh and i swear the ArmA community were driven to insanity and poverty because their old Graphics cards could not stand up the graphical splendor of Arma

Well i finally wachted it, they are making a better lightning system, that parallax mapping thing, they improved vegetation and performance (i didnt really understand that part).

With directx 10 it will be possible to make antialiasing for blending textures like grass and forest backgorunds (or something like it).

They will move to shader 3 so bumps will look less weird and more realistic.

they mentioned destruction system, that real physical destruction isnt possible today and it would be very problematic with networks. There was a mention that no todays game uses it, just some static effects for things that fall (unreal tournament 3 with physx in 7 fps in low q. where is 30 fps in normal game in high q. rofl.gif), and it would be complicated with ai.

At last there will be animation blending. yay.gif They created it for those gestures, but they dont know if they will allow reloading while moving.

Separate animation for different positions in vehicles will be possible but they wont create different anims for every one.

Arma 2 will have 100 vehicles.

Ambient animals would run, eat and sleep. inlove.gif

They will exist only when you are near them (mp compatible), but its possible to make ones who wont dissappear.

They will try to make birds fly away when you fire so you will be easily detected.

VBS2 tracers, terrain editing both in editor and ingame, but they WONT include real time editing.

You will be able to shoot from vehicle even if you are not in firing place.

Moving in vehicles WONT be possible because it will be complicated with ai.

Ai will drive on the side of road.

Reworked ai, can recognize several 10cm distance, recognize covering fire and can use it.

Campaign divided to three parts, 1. linear (ofp, arma), 2. you can join these or those, 3. fully dynamic.

Not sure about this but i think will be able to change from one to another and as mp you can play with other 2 friends as cooperative (one per each campaign).

4 sides.

4 playing characters. 10 replacement. (Cannon Fodder smile_o.gif )

33 characters.

Better inventory and dialogues, parts of game like adventures.

They made for themselves automatic nightly simulator of missions for checking ai problems. Less bugs. Even better ai.

And i noticed some black screens after loading against ugly lods.

So this was from first one, second later. goodnight.gif

About the improved lighting, did they mention if cars headlights or camp fires will create shadows and bump mapping? Will they improve the limit of lights? (Such as the light from street lights dissapearing when there are too many others)

Is there going to be an Oblivion type campaign? For example, there are main missions, but you're still free to explore the land or take on side missions?

When they said we couldn't move in vehicles did that imply when we stand on it? For example, will ArmaII support planes or ships that can actually transport vehicles?

They made for themselves automatic nightly simulator of missions for checking ai problems. Less bugs. Even better ai.

Thanks for posting frostwyrm333, looking forward to your second post.

BIS seems to understand, that Arma2 needs to have a better quality as ArmA from the beginnings. That's a good sign

If they manage to get the AI somewhat clever this time, introduce a dynamic campaign which deserves the name and add RPG I've to ask my boss for 2 months vacation

wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]and as mp you can play with other 2 friends as cooperative (one per each campaign).

What could that mean? Especially "one per each campaign"?

Anyway, it would be great if you could play any of the campaign with many friends (one for every "side"). I think if we later would edit the Missions, we could achive that....

Regards, Christian

Let's have a look of what BIS is going to write in their blog too!!

Thanks to frostwyrm333 and waiting for Part2.

terrain editing both in editor and ingame, but they WONT include real time editing.

Does this mean that we can add buildings; aka building(adding) our own town now??

Thanks a lot frostwyrm333, good of you to translate for us smile_o.gif

It does sound quite good but I hope they fix a lot of the limitations the engine has (e.g. for transporting vehicles in perhaps a C5 Galaxy).

What would be really great is if they make a whole lot more of the game configurable so that the community can have more leeway when creating addons and using scripts.

terrain editing both in editor and ingame, but they WONT include real time editing.

Does this mean that we can add buildings; aka building(adding) our own town now??

I guess so.

I'm hoping for trenches and stuff!

2 smellyjelly:

- im not sure but probabyl yes, i dont know anything about limits

- they didnt say

- they didnt say

2 mr.g-c:

again im not sure but they probably meant that 3 players will play 3 different campaigns at the same time

2PrivateNoob:

you can now too if you have building objects in editor

I dont guarantee everything i wrote is true, there may be some mistakes and they will surely change everything several times.

Quote[/b] ]Moving in vehicles WONT be possible because it will be complicated with ai.

WHY? i mean......who cares or even brother to have AIs walking on vehicles? confused_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Moving in vehicles WONT be possible because it will be complicated with ai.

WHY? i mean......who cares or even brother to have AIs walking on vehicles? confused_o.gif  crazy_o.gif

Its just Bullshit. They wont do it because they arent improving the physics system, NOT because of Ai, thats sooo lame....

They just threw the "it will be too complicated with the Ai" in there to save their asses...

Does sound a odd statment as it wouldnt really matter about ai being able to move around as long as you could do it. Maybe its too much change in the game engine to allow that? I could see it being quite complex

What's the big deal if the AI just sits there and this time is able to shoot. It would be cool if only the player could move though...

WHY? i mean......who cares or even brother to have AIs walking on vehicles? confused_o.gif  crazy_o.gif

Thats a more BS excuse then the dynamic destuction excuse... this is something that really should be added. It can't be THAT hard to get AI to walk on a friggen vehicle. Even still.... it should be added if only the player can take advantage of it. Just make the NPC's sit down and not move.

well i dunno sounds good to me, i hope Bi will deliver and i willb e a happy dog biggrin_o.gif let Bi do their job and play arma 1 or whatever while we wait ay wink_o.gif

Thing about dynamic destructions isnt excuse. Look on HL2 deadmatch, static map, few dozen objects, 10 players and horrible ping. And its hard for performance too, you couldnt have some nuke that will destroy 10 buildings without 0-2 fps. And such area would have hunreds of useless objects lying around. Because of such physics the server would have to be very expansive with very strong network. Impossible for 60 players. Maybe for lan but they dont want to add features which wont work in entire game.

About those vehicles i dont know but its shame, if ai cant recognize such very small areas, its better this way maybe, but they should add some "vehicle walking" animations, this is too weird.

Just look on some unreal tournament 3 with ageia physics article.

I could imagine, that BIS is just too 'small' to build every feature in their graphics/physic engine.

I think I've read, that ~20 people working on Arma2 is that right? Just compare it with Ofp2 (>100).

So, personally I think, that BIS should concentrate, what they can do due to their experience with the older title and VBS series: Concentration on the AI, editing and campaign. Let the player feel, that he's really involved, like in a good flight simulator, this time

My 2 cents

Guest Ti0n3r

That's my problem with BIS. They seem to give up too easy.

/edited extremely stupid typo

That's my problem with BIS. They seem to give up to easy.

Agree to it! Oftoppic:

This was (what i read on Game-sites) one of the reasons why codemasters stopped to working with BIS.

BTT:

Where is the problem to making this possible jsut for the player?

The Ai units still could be let sit-down in vehicles.

Regards, Christian

I dont know how many people were working on ofp, but 20 is too small i think its more about 30-40. btw, there are 30 people working on starcraft 2 now.