Sign in to follow this  
Nutty_101

I see you!

yes I have .net Ver 2.0 installed.

So Mr Nutty will we see some documentation on this app?

I'm asking this because I thought/hoped that signatures would make this impossible.

--Ben

Nothing will make cheating impossible. It will just slow it down enough for decent people to enjoy the game smile_o.gif

Slightly offtopic sorry:

benreeper I guess that verifySignatures cannot stop a modified exe for example.

verifySignatures check signed files, and only pbo are signed. So the .exe is not verified.

Though a checkFile on .exe, in this case, will probably help too.

* Immediatly runs to change my dedicated server's config *

Slightly offtopic sorry:

You are correct. However, if BI signed every localised exe and added the exe into the check, it certainly could.

However, nodvd crack users would suffer, which is unacceptable.

Maybe, just maybe the 1.09 patch will be no CD itself..

as far as I can remember Suma / Maruk was indicating this.

So I'd say we should forward this idea to BI!

Who will PM Suma?

Slightly offtopic sorry:

You are correct. However, if BI signed every localised exe and added the exe into the check, it certainly could.

You mean .exe are localized and not the same depending on language? confused_o.gif You're sure about that?

Uhm, well once I added arma.exe to the list of checkfiles so it said ingame something like "blah uses modified data: arma.exe" if it didn't match the arma.exe the server had.

And quite a few were modified. I can't imagine all the exes are the same, since some use varying copy protection. So in that respect at least, different countries would probably have different exes.

Uhm, well once I added arma.exe to the list of checkfiles so it said ingame something like "blah uses modified data: arma.exe" if it didn't match the arma.exe the server had.

And quite a few were modified. I can't imagine all the exes are the same, since some use varying copy protection. So in that respect at least, different countries would probably have different exes.

Mmmh, depending on distrib and copy protection. I didn't though about that sad_o.gif You're prolly right, yup

yes I have .net Ver 2.0 installed.

So Mr Nutty will we see some documentation on this app?

Yeah, there will be more. However its really simple to be honest. Laugh. Ill get ya some though. Also, when it crashes could you tell me the error it is giving in a pm or on my forums? Would help me locate the problem. Also try this, run the application without the sniffer plugin in the plugin folder. remove that dll from there and see what happens.

On the topic of the exe, while some do modify the exe i can tell you that the files on the hard drive are not modified to bypass the signature checking. It's all done in memory and there isn't anything we can do about it to say the least.

Slightly offtopic sorry:

Don't think so. Relying on data sent from a client can never be reliable. The client PC controls what it sends to the server, so anyone with the knowledge can get past it. That probably wouldn't be any harder to get around than the current pbo signing system.

Quote[/b] ]

It would be perfectly acceptable. Why should the developers worry about people using pirated copies? And if you have a legal copy, then you can just use the DVD. My DVD still works, and I've used it more than any other single DVD, so I don't buy those arguments.

Besides, it was stated that 1.09 will remove the copy protection.

I own the game, have the DVD, but I use the no cd, dvd rather, crack exe. I use nocd cracks for all my games which I can.

Its much faster when starting up the game. It isnt in the drive spinning for no reason. My disks stay without a bunch of scratchs from use. I dont run the risk of the disk protection they put in there screwing up my PC, like some have been known to do. Im also against the use of "Disk protection", because that only hurts the consumers. They create problems and are worthless for fighting piracy. Its a myth that they do anything towards piracy.  The only ones who suffer or are affected by it, are those who bought the game.

But theres NO REASON to check the arma.exe. Its completely pointless. As nutty said, its done in memory, and theres nothing you can do about it. (Aside from making some type of program like PB.....which doesnt mean that isnt "crackable" as well)

If 1.09 removes the copy protection, aka a NoCD. Then I'll have no reason to use any other exe then that...

1. In windowed mode PowerPanel closed after 20min of activity on Arma server. Before that PowerPanel was running whole day, but no activity on server was. Dont remember error message, my fault.

2. Seems that locale languages does not supported. Instead of russian words I saw in log CHATGLOBAL - "???" marks.

3. In command prompt mode, powerpanel do not intercept anything, log is clean. Was started from shortcut on desktop with "-c" argument.

Windows 2000 server, all service packs installed.

I've no idea how to manage of what I want to see in log file. :(

That probably wouldn't be any harder to get around than the current pbo signing system.

I find the current pbo signing system very effective actually.  It's not as easy to bypass as the cheater groups would like everyone to think.

I don't run any extra cheat protection other than signature checking and I haven't had a problem with people spawning junk or disabling user inputs for months now.

That excuse of scratched CD/DVD's is utter BS!!!

There are many cheap "skin" products for CD/DVD's that prevent that. I use one on my ArmA DVD and have no read/scratch issues with ArmA.

Hopefully BIS will ban you and then track you down and prosecute you for hacking oChaos.DNJ. You just admitted to the crime in your post.

That probably wouldn't be any harder to get around than the current pbo signing system.

I find the current pbo signing system very effective actually. It's not as easy to bypass as the cheater groups would like everyone to think.

I don't run any extra cheat protection other than signature checking and I haven't had a problem with people spawning junk or disabling user inputs for months now.

Doesn't mean it hasn't been beaten. Just that nobody has released a hack publicly. Hopefully it stays that way for a while.

The majority of people who like to ruin games can't do anything for themselves and just rely on others to release stuff for them.

There are many cheap "skin" products for CD/DVD's that prevent that. I use one on my ArmA DVD and have no read/scratch issues with ArmA.

I don't use anything special on my DVD and it still works great smile_o.gif

1. In windowed mode PowerPanel closed after 20min of activity on Arma server. Before that PowerPanel was running whole day, but no activity on server was. Dont remember error message, my fault.

2. Seems that locale languages does not supported. Instead of russian words I saw in log CHATGLOBAL - "huh.gif" marks.

3. In command prompt mode, powerpanel do not intercept anything, log is clean. Was started from shortcut on desktop with "-c" argument.

Windows 2000 server, all service packs installed.

I've no idea how to manage of what I want to see in log file. sad_o.gif

Humm, could you do me a favor and click that packet dump then log some of the russian chat? I can figure out what unicode they use. Just need to send me portions of the dump file with the chat in it.

Hopefully BIS will ban you and then track you down and prosecute you for hacking oChaos.DNJ. You just admitted to the crime in your post.

Ban him for not wanting to spend 5 minutes messing with DVDs for *no reason* just to play the game he's legally bought?

The Arma IDs are the real copy protection - not the DVD check. As some people say (not confirmed it myself) the check is even being removed in 1.09.

Ban him for not wanting to spend 5 minutes messing with DVDs for *no reason* just to play the game he's legally bought?

The Arma IDs are the real copy protection - not the DVD check. As some people say (not confirmed it myself) the check is even being removed in 1.09.

Not to be a wanker but how are the id's the real copy protection? If you look around there are tools to reverse our keys out to the real one now. So when we join a public server we are in effect giving someone with a hacked copy our real key to play online with. If they ever made a database of them to auth with then we would be sol as some looser would just register our keys before us. So I don't see how it is any protection at all to be honest. It's all public information now anyway so why bother. There is no protection in this game. nodda zip zilch not a hint of it at all. My two cents on the matter....

That excuse of scratched CD/DVD's is utter BS!!!

LOL what are you talking about?

How did anything I said lead to me hacking?

I said I use the NoDVD crack, thats not a crime, if I legally bought the game. Which I did. (Still got the receipt from GameStop)

Not to be a wanker but how are the id's the real copy protection? If you look around there are tools to reverse our keys out to the real one now. So when we join a public server we are in effect giving someone with a hacked copy our real key to play online with. If they ever made a database of them to auth with then we would be sol as some looser would just register our keys before us. So I don't see how it is any protection at all to be honest. It's all public information now anyway so why bother. There is no protection in this game. nodda zip zilch not a hint of it at all. My two cents on the matter....

Thats probably why BI are working on security fixes for the next patch, and treating it as a priority.

Hi, i like the idea of make the (good) server admins to know who

is writting what in the side channel because that allows him to

know who's the damn cheater and ban him forever.

What ain't like is that "bright idea" of kick or even ban the people

for talk how they want, using strong language, make any kind of

jokes etc etc; restrict that is restrict the freedom of speech and

is pointless from a begining.

We play to a game supposedly based on a war zone, we shot people

in the head and we enjoy it, we cheer up when we shot the enemy

right in the face, when the bullet ricochets and we shot the enemy

in the neck & it dies, we can kill civilians, we can blow up buildings

we can do alot of things more "offensive" than just use the kind of

words that costed me 2 warning levels. Im 300% againist the

freedom of speech supression on the servers, in games and

in games based on war situations; where the people use to

curse & swear alot. So thanks for allow the server admins to

know who's the cheater and ban/kick him, but i hope that this

don't make that most servers kick the players for talk as the

people talk in the real world. Let's C ya

Hi, i like the idea of make the (good) server admins to know who

is writting what in the side channel because that allows him to

know who's the damn cheater and ban him forever.

What ain't like is that "bright idea" of kick or even ban the people

for talk how they want, using strong language, make any kind of

jokes etc etc; restrict that is restrict the freedom of speech and

is pointless from a begining.

We play to a game supposedly based on a war zone, we shot people

in the head and we enjoy it, we cheer up when we shot the enemy

right in the face, when the bullet ricochets and we shot the enemy

in the neck & it dies, we can kill civilians, we can blow up buildings

we can do alot of things more "offensive" than just use the kind of

words that costed me 2 warning levels. Im 300% againist the

freedom of speech supression on the servers, in games and

in games based on war situations; where the people use to

curse & swear alot. So thanks for allow the server admins to

know who's the cheater and ban/kick him, but i hope that this

don't make that most servers kick the players for talk as the

people talk in the real world. Let's C ya

Good point, never thought of it as a tool for that. Laugh.

always funny what people turn things into ... right nutty ? smile_o.gif

anyway wipman if You freedom of speech is on some server limited, it's right of the admin/owner to do so ...

you are free to disconnect and join elsewhere or just run your own freedom of speech server whistle.gif