Sign in to follow this  
opteryx

Sakakah Al Jawf

Are you sure we cannot tempt you to release a pre-beta for general performance feedbacks? wink_o.gif

You know that, that is a VERY good idea for a map like this.

Allthough there isnt much "shit" laying arround yet, it will still be a killer for some people. And besides that, because of the amount of structures placed there have to be allot of people checking out for bugs.

Suggestions...

Make alleys by placing buildings nearer to each other. Not only in a straight line...

How about cloverleaf overpass?

Please please please put more "shit" allover the place. I cannot define it better then that. Just random stuff, think about pictures from Iraq.

Cannot wait to check it out at night. yay.gif

Quote[/b] ]How about cloverleaf overpass?

It would be very hard with current road models, plus there is none in the real city AND I still can't shape the terrain in detail.

Quote[/b] ]Please please please put more "shit" allover the place. I cannot define it better then that. Just random stuff, think about pictures from Iraq.

You mean "Please please please make it more laggy"? Hehe plan is to fill out the main structure of the town, then gradually add random stuff while closely observing frame rate drop. wink_o.gif

Quick question:

What are your system specs Opteryx ?

I know you have a 8800 GTS, but the rest ?

I guess it will be a big texture-lagfest for people with midend or lowend computers.

Just make sure you already have some sandbags and concrete built around your house once it´s released and people find out that they can´t use it pistols.gif

Apart from that, I love what you´re doing ! smile_o.gif (Even if I will most likely end up among the guys throwing empty cans at your window as I only have a 7600 GT AGP and and a rusty Athlon XP 3000+ with 2 Gig´s of GEIL Ram in my trousers)

Windows XP Pro

NVIDIA point of view 8800 GTS 320 MB

AMD AM2 6000+ X2 @3,0 GHZ

MSI platinum SLI AM2 570

2 gb RAM 667 mhz

400w SWEEX PSU

160 gb HDD Maxtor

Took this yesterday, GFX High/normal View distance 10 000 meters.

Video

When you created that terrain, did you do it "freehand" by just looking reference images of the city on other window, or did you use the background image/overview in Visitor (if there is one, I think there is) and then place objects pretty much with 1:1 accuracy?

I watched Film, it was great looking city layout. But how about giving us a footage when you are on the ground, perhaps driving a humwv / truck convoy through the dense building areas, that would give really different perspective to the city?

looking real good opteryx, i have a similar map but only 256x256

may i ask if you have had any luck with ai driving or moving on foot

my ai just could not drive through town sad_o.gif.

shes a beauty though keep it up.

Quote[/b] ]When you created that terrain, did you do it "freehand" by just looking reference images of the city on other window, or did you use the background image/overview in Visitor (if there is one, I think there is) and then place objects pretty much with 1:1 accuracy?

Now when you say terrain, do you mean height-map or satellite image? Height-map was done in Wilbur, sadly I had to erode a lot in Visitor to make the city area flat, so the surrounding hills were flattened out, I hope to redo this if possible. The road network was drawn out from satellite image using both Visitor background image and on the satellite/mask layer, it's not 1:1 scale due to game play reasons, also the amount of time I'd have to dedicate to making it full size would be ridiculous, it's around 50 % size of the real city.

Quote[/b] ]I watched Film, it was great looking city layout. But how about giving us a footage when you are on the ground, perhaps driving a humwv / truck convoy through the dense building areas, that would give really different perspective to the city?

Okay, HERE is a video of an older build, but a lot has changed since this video.

Thx for info on your hardware Opteryx.

I´m curious how it will run on my system smile_o.gif

Keep it up and take your time.

You know I really REALLY despise myself for saying this but... it'll be done when it's done.

You know I really REALLY despise myself for saying this but... it'll be done when it's done.

Dat's OK, I'm just messing smile_o.gif

I've seen a buttload of explosions on this map... really! whistle.gif

Yeah the example picture of Fallujah is very good!

That's how your city should look like. I know the performence is a big problem, but just try to get more buildings in one "quarter". Just like at the picture.

Looking forward to your city. biggrin_o.gif

From what I've seen at armedassault.info This appears to be one of the more promising projects of both OFP and ArmA good luck with it smile_o.gif

hi Opteryx,

first of all, amazing work! smile_o.gif

This map looks so promising! I like it very much.

As you know We (the BHD MOD) are working on a large city, Mogadishu, that will involve an enormous number of objects, including houses, destroyed fences, walls, destroyed cars and so on.

Did you use only original objects in your map? Or did you create other ones on your own?

Quote[/b] ]This map looks so promising! I like it very much.

As you know We (the BHD MOD) are working on a large city, Mogadishu, that will involve an enormous number of objects, including houses, destroyed fences, walls, destroyed cars and so on.

Sounds like a project that could push your patience to the limit.

Quote[/b] ]Did you use only original objects in your map? Or did you create other ones on your own?

Sadly I am forced to use only default ArmA objects for the time being.

impressive work so far , but one thing disturbs me a bit :

is the landscape really that flat ??

from what i could see from the released pics the areas outside of the city don't have any visible surface details .

my suggestion : -add some dunes outside of the city

if it really is that flat in reality , then don't mind my post .

max

edit: looking forward to your island ... especially when sakura-chan releases his 150th SOAR blackhawk .

is the landscape really that flat ??

Fixed.

-edit-

85263721tq1.jpg

High-Res

Damn Opteryx! If I had some more time I'd model you some custom buildings!