Sign in to follow this  
opteryx

Sakakah Al Jawf

looks very promising as i said in the WIP thread, hope it gets a nice mix of big cities and small rural areas, i know roads or a pain in the butt but a few of those that lead to rural areas would be nice too smile_o.gif anyways its a big advancement from ofp that people was forced to have their islands and islands..

anyways any chance you will release a beta version soon? would be sweet for dynamic campaigns like the ones honcho and others made for ofp resistance back in the days inlove.gif

Regarding release, I want to get this as fast as possible out to the community, really, but as mentioned before I am very reluctant to release it until BIS gives us a proper version of Visitor.

There will be a closed beta though ( don't bother asking me, beta testers have already been selected a long time ago) in which I will try and gather some data about performance. Anyhow, I'll get it out as soon as possible, but a lot depends on BIS to get a functioning Visitor release out, again...

thats armaviz allways bragging about his system

u should make a topic: heres my killer pc, so u dont have to allways

type it into post(expect u have the specs saved in notepad, where u can allways copy/paste) tounge2.giftounge2.giftounge2.giftounge2.giftounge2.giftounge2.gif

jokes aside thats a nice map there opetryx, 1 thing that annoyes me about about arma ruins is lack of depree around.

btme_lg.gif

Opteryx asked previously...just passin on the info and no they're not saved in a text file somewhere icon_rolleyes.giftounge2.gif Thanks for the love though.

it was just a joke dude, sorry if i offended u thumbs-up.gifthumbs-up.gifthumbs-up.gifthumbs-up.gif

Opteryx, it is more frustration for my team to wait on this "island" of yours than on Queer's Gambit.... notworthy.gif

The Buildings from QG will fit in nicely.

Great Isle for urban fights, CQB and infiltration missions.

I hope that Visitor will get an update soon.

Okay, once and for all; it is NOT an island, the terrain beyond the actual map edge is extruded into infinity.

wow dude. cant wait to play on this. was considering looking into map creation and a middle east style island. got some maps of basra and baghdad and wanted to look into making them. hopefully arma 2 will support much larger cities or towns than the current arma does.

good look with your project.

ps extended to infinity? always wondered if that was possible. cant wait to see this!

regards.

john

Regarding release, I want to get this as fast as possible out to the community, really, but as mentioned before I am very reluctant to release it until BIS gives us a proper version of Visitor.

There will be a closed beta though ( don't bother asking me, beta testers have already been selected a long time ago) in which I will try and gather some data about performance. Anyhow, I'll get it out as soon as possible, but a lot depends on BIS to get a functioning Visitor release out, again...

Damn! Nice town, Opteryx. thumbs-up.gif It's gonna be a blast to make missions. *Iraq War scenarios*

The default islands in ArmA makes my PC slow down too much, so a city on a desert area will be great! biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

I have been pwned crazy_o.gif

I can't wait for this to be finished.

I've tried the unfinished product, and it's awesome.

Now if only Opteryx would let me have a copy! pistols.gif

Hi, that city looks really well done even now that seems very

unfinnished; i think that the sidewalks should be closer to the

roadway, but sure that now is too late for do it and... that in this

current way, the AI drive and moves on foot better by the streets,

alleys or whatever. Great looking city. Let's C ya

Looking very nice, actually very nice!

one Q, is it do able to make coast? Like yours just keep going and going (the ground), but could it be done that other way ground just keeps going and going and other side sea just keeps going and going? you get my point?

Also, i think i need to start working on 2nd MEF Desert units.

But really really nice work!

It's a very motivating statement for addon makers me thinks.

You know: some of the addonmakers buy tools for about

€2500 - 4500 (Maya - 3DSMAX) just for the sake of making better addons or creating them easier and you are asking for an addon not to hit the €20 limit.  icon_rolleyes.gif

Well the only thing i could imagine is: Opteryx goes for two

versions: one without the QG stuff (when he is finished with

everything before using QG stuff) and one including them.

:edit - oh yeah btw - looks really promissing what you've done

so far.

~S~ CD

i think you actually quoted wrong post...

anyway, so is it possible to make coastal map?

Hi, that city looks really well done even now that seems very

unfinnished; i think that the sidewalks should be closer to the

roadway, but sure that now is too late for do it and... that in this

current way, the AI drive and moves on foot better by the streets,

alleys or whatever. Great looking city. Let's C ya

Yes, at the moment I am redoing large chucks of the city like that, reason I originally didn't want so may sidewalks was due to the fear of object overload causing lag.

-edit-

Right, here's an example of an area I've reworked. I know it still looks empty, but if I were too give it a lot more object density I'd end up with an unplayable map.

bviewrj4.th.gif

Maybe once I get around to editing the satellite image it'll get more an illusion of complexity.

OMG im going to get the Mythbusters to see if this is real or not tounge2.gif [Wipes Eyes]

Wow this looks completly amazing. I cant wait to make some kickass missions on this map.

If you want any specific missions made for your island just ask smile_o.gif you know how to find me smile_o.gif

Good Luck, i look forward to it.

Opteryx, if you go to Al Fallujah in Google Earth and zoom right down to the actual label "Al Fallujah" you can see an area that can only be described as "low cost" smile_o.gif

Is there any chance you can make such a low-cost high-risk area in your town? I would imagine that the area need only be relatively small, but contain a LOT of buildings packed right up close to each other with squalid detailings like rubbish piles, car wrecks etc.

AlFallujah.jpg

Opteryx, if you go to Al Fallujah in Google Earth and zoom right down to the actual label "Al Fallujah" you can see an area that can only be described as "low cost" smile_o.gif

Is there any chance you can make such a low-cost high-risk area in your town? I would imagine that the area need only be relatively small, but contain a LOT of buildings packed right up close to each other with squalid detailings like rubbish piles, car wrecks etc.

img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/DMarkwick/AlFallujah.jpg[/img]

I understand that this is what people already want, however implementation of such object dense areas will come at a cost and that is frame rate.

Here is a picture in Visitor showing you the densest area of the city:

objim3.jpg

Even this object density is heavy on frame rate, especially when viewed from above causing all objects to draw.

Currently I am filling out the last big norther region, I will experiment with your idea there, but I'm not promising anything.

Also reason I chose Sakakah was due to a fairly good spacing between the buildings, blocks and districts, but then again I'm only building it loosely based on the real city.

Accurate or not... It looks kickass anyway, bud. biggrin_o.gif Good work! thumbs-up.gifnotworthy.gif

Accurate or not... It looks kickass anyway, bud. biggrin_o.gif Good work! thumbs-up.gifnotworthy.gif

Agreed this will be the first map of its kind to make it into ArmA. So in itself its gona be a big triumf. notworthy.gif

I understand that this is what people already want, however implementation of such object dense areas will come at a cost and that is frame rate.

Rgr dat smile_o.gif Of course I'll be more than happy with any release if those screenies are anything to go by. Are you sure we cannot tempt you to release a pre-beta for general performance feedbacks? wink_o.gif

I cannot wait to see what my smoke looks like over that city. And of course how it all performs together smile_o.gif